What are you watching now? - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen 'The Bear', but if it's a Christmas film, I'm bound to like it. I'm a bit of a sucker for a christmas film! :grinhat:

It was on today here (very early) but I missed it .. bother! I should have done my TV homework more thoroughly  :blush2: I'm not sure if it's Christmas .. it's definitely wintery .. yes it must be Christmas because there's a brilliant bit where the bear (polar) comes in the front room while Tilly and her mum and dad are watching The Snowman on TV :smile:  There's all sorts of visual jokes concerning Tilly's mum and dad's inability to notice they have a massive bear in their house. Very much like The Snowman in style and the song is magical too (sung by a young Charlotte Church I believe.) It's rare to see it now though :( 

Just catching up with last night's episode of Death Comes to Pemberley .. enjoying it more than the book as no repetitive dialogue etc. Think Matthew Rhys is miscast though as Darcy .. would have preferred Tom Ward (he's playing Colonel Brandon.) It's gorgeous to look at  :smile: 

Just catching up with last night's episode of Death Comes to Pemberley .. enjoying it more than the book as no repetitive dialogue etc. Think Matthew Rhys is miscast though as Darcy .. would have preferred Tom Ward (he's playing Colonel Brandon.) It's gorgeous to look at  :smile: 

I've recorded both episodes of it, but haven't watched them yet.  Having just finished the book, from the trailers I've seen, it's already veering away from the story and plot points in the book, but that may be to its credit! :D

I've recorded both episodes of it, but haven't watched them yet.  Having just finished the book, from the trailers I've seen, it's already veering away from the story and plot points in the book, but that may be to its credit! :D

The drama didn't follow the book exactly but that was to its credit as you say. I thought .. just like the book .. it got steadily worse though. Hated the last episode .. very un-Austen and I didn't like Penelope's portrayal of Lady Catherine at all. It's a bit much to single her out though as I didn't like many of them but then they'd been saddled with a pretty terrible script. All the scenery etc was stunning though and I did like James Fleet as Mr Bennett. Anna was okay as Lizzie (hard not to think of Jennifer's vivacious portrayal though) but Matthew just isn't Colin  :D Couldn't really reconcile Lydia and Wickham here as the Lydia and Wickham in P&P.

I think Jane made it pretty clear that they couldn't stick each other at any price by the end of P&P

Also Georgiana made the wrong choice  :D

Also caught up with Gangsta Granny and enjoyed it lots .. very funny but also moving .. well done David :D (loved the Strictly theme :D

Yes!  We've seen the pilot and first season of Endeavour.  Love it. :)  I used to watch Morse when we had a television, but haven't seen all of them.  I do have some old VHS tapes of a season, I believe, of Morse.  Just the other day I priced the entire Morse collection, and it ran about 285. USD.  /gulp/  Sooooo, won't be purchasing that anytime soon.  drat.

I'll be on the lookout for sales though.  The library doesn't have a good selection, and the DVDs are usually a bit tattered.  :(

$285 ??! :o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspector-Morse-Complete-Series-1-12/dp/B001CWLF9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388332593&sr=8-1&keywords=morse+dvd+box+set

- much cheaper than that, but you`d need to have a multi-region player `cos these are R2. :smile:

Talking of libraries, mine has decided to allow people to download magazines and ebooks from next year ( as you already can in Wales ). Yay ! :D

I'm watching the Yellowbird version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

It's brilliant.

And so is The Girl who Played with Fire.

Edited by dex

Watched Bear Grylls' Wild Weekend with Stephen Fry ... very good ... I love old Stephen :) When they were settling down in their sleeping bags .. if I had been Bear .. I would definitely have asked for a bedtime story :D  

Watched Bear Grylls' Wild Weekend with Stephen Fry ... very good ... I love old Stephen :) When they were settling down in their sleeping bags .. if I had been Bear .. I would definitely have asked for a bedtime story :D

We watched this yesterday with the kids and my parents. Definitely one of the better 'with Bear' programmes. Stephen is a delight and I was only disappointed he didn't get a chance to talk more.

Did you watch the Jonathan Ross one from earlier this year Kay? I nearly wet myself laughing with that one! :D

We watched this yesterday with the kids and my parents. Definitely one of the better 'with Bear' programmes. Stephen is a delight and I was only disappointed he didn't get a chance to talk more.

Did you watch the Jonathan Ross one from earlier this year Kay? I nearly wet myself laughing with that one! :D

No .. I haven't seen that one .. will look it up for sure .. thanks Hayley :)

The first episode of Wives and Daughters (thanks poppyshake! :flowers2: ). Oh I'd quite forgotten about some of the characters... Oh Roger :wub:

And I want to slap that Hyacinth woman silly.... Oooooh her daughter's going to drive me up the wall soon, isn't she... :banghead: :banghead:

Hyacinth Gibson:  I'm sorry, Squire Hamley, but I think that Molly's duty is quite clear. And I'm sure you will acknowledge that an engagement is an engagement.

Squire Hamley: Did I say an engagement was an elephant, Madam? ... Perhaps you might find it possible to permit her to come to us tomorrow?

Hyacinth Gibson: ... Certainly. She'll be ready at any time you name.

:rolol:   Priceless!!

The first episode of Wives and Daughters (thanks poppyshake! :flowers2: ). Oh I'd quite forgotten about some of the characters... Oh Roger :wub:

And I want to slap that Hyacinth woman silly.... Oooooh her daughter's going to drive me up the wall soon, isn't she... :banghead: :banghead:

Hyacinth Gibson:  I'm sorry, Squire Hamley, but I think that Molly's duty is quite clear. And I'm sure you will acknowledge that an engagement is an engagement.

Squire Hamley: Did I say an engagement was an elephant, Madam? ... Perhaps you might find it possible to permit her to come to us tomorrow?

Hyacinth Gibson: ... Certainly. She'll be ready at any time you name.

:rolol:   Priceless!!

Lord .. Alan and I quote that all the time :D .. or shorten it to 'did I say it was an elephant madam?' as an answer to anybody being contrary (usually each other :D

Be interesting if you ever see Our Mutual Friend (Dickens) as Keeley Hawes plays a character that is the polar opposite of Cynthia .. very quiet and unassuming .. she's terrific in all her roles (will have to send you OMF .. it's brilliant :smile:) Hyacinth is just the most aggravating woman ever ... poor Mr Gibson and poor Molly :D

Especially love Molly, Roger, Squire Hamley and Mrs Hamley  :smile: