The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

I watched two films last night actually.

The Man From Earth which was extraordinary! It was set almost entirely in one room, which may sound boring, but it wasn't for a second. One of the most remarkable films I've ever seen. It's about a professor who quits his job, his colleagues come over to say goodbye and he tells them he's 14,000 years old & never ages. Fascinating would be an understatement.

The second film I saw is called Before Sunset, which is about an American man and a French woman who spent a night together 9 years ago in Vienna, promised to see each other again in six months but never did, until now. It was another well written dialogue-driven film like The Man From Earth - something I'm sure regular readers would appreciate - and it was full of thoughtful and insightful observations about life and love. The film is actually a sequel to Before Sunrise which is about that night in Vienna. I thought Before Sunrise was good, but I didn't really appreciate it until now. Thinking about it, that must be Before Sunset's greatest achievement - lending emotional heft to its predecessor in retrospect. Oh, and there's a third film coming out later this year called Before Midnight which is set another nine years after Before Sunset. Safe to say, I'm excited about seeing that.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Man From Earth which was extraordinary! It was set almost entirely in one room, which may sound boring, but it wasn't for a second. One of the most remarkable films I've ever seen. It's about a professor who quits his job, his colleagues come over to say goodbye and he tells them he's 14,000 years old & never ages. Fascinating would be an understatement.

The second film I saw is called Before Sunset, which is about an American man and a French woman who spent a night together 9 years ago in Vienna, promised to see each other again in six months but never did, until now. It was another well written dialogue-driven film like The Man From Earth - something I'm sure regular readers would appreciate - and it was full of thoughtful and insightful observations about life and love. The film is actually a sequel to Before Sunrise which is about that night in Vienna. I thought Before Sunrise was good, but I didn't really appreciate it until now. Thinking about it, that must be Before Sunset's greatest achievement - lending emotional heft to its predecessor in retrospect. Oh, and there's a third film coming out later this year called Before Midnight which is set another nine years after Before Sunset. Safe to say, I'm excited about seeing that.

I've ordered these three from Amazon adama.  My husband says he saw Before Sunset and Before Sunrise ages ago, and loved them.  I'm happy to hear there is another one coming out. So thanks!

Also, I am a ST:TOS and The Man From Earth sounds very much like a ST ep that I loved.  The author wrote for ST.

I've ordered these three from Amazon adama.  My husband says he saw Before Sunset and Before Sunrise ages ago, and loved them.  I'm happy to hear there is another one coming out. So thanks!

Also, I am a ST:TOS and The Man From Earth sounds very much like a ST ep that I loved.  The author wrote for ST.

As follow up on above posts, adama, I wanted to let you know that my husband I have now viewed both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, and loved them both.  He'd seen at least one of them years ago.  Before Sunset is particularly moving I thought.

Thanks!

As follow up on above posts, adama, I wanted to let you know that my husband I have now viewed both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, and loved them both.  He'd seen at least one of them years ago.  Before Sunset is particularly moving I thought.

Thanks!

Never heard of any of those  thanks! Will put them on my wishlist...

Last film I watched was Skyfall. Really disappointed plot was ridiculous could see things coming way in advance like a steam train. Was very disappointed to see a good actress like Naomi Harris  just going all Hollywood skinny and playing nothing more than eyecandy .

She supposedly went through all the training as a tough field agent just to become a secretary (Moneypenny) at the end.

Sorry but this was drivel

Edited by vodkafan

Olympus has fallen, Don't beam down in a red uniform.

That was one of the most Gawd-awful things that has been filmed.  We walked out, maybe a third in...not sure. 

We went to see the film, The Place Beyond the Pines yesterday. During the first part, I couldn't make up my mind about the film, then it exponentially grew on me. The grittiness and grim just was almost too much.....but then I saw through all of that to a wonderfully portrayed character. Gosling may not appeal to me personally, but he turned in one helluva performance. All the characters were well done. Bradley Cooper, who I never imagined giving a nuanced performance delivered beautifully.
Finally, in the end, I loved the film. I loved the circle it drew.

The other night we watched The Man From Earth, as recommended by adama above.  It was excellent. 

Jerome Bixby, the original author of this story also wrote for the original Star Trek, one of his episodes, Requiem for Methuselah is of the same theme, but in space. :)

Last night I watched The Host. I've read the book before but that was years ago so can only vaguely remember how the story went. But it was quite good. By the looks of the ending there could be a second, which I would love!

Oblivion - the best bit about it was the scenery (it was filmed in Iceland).

I'm sure the scenery is gorgeous.  However.  Tom Cruise is just more ick than I can stand.  Oy.

We watched Dinner with Andre last night and one of the Poirot mysteries.