The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirited Away

Excellent, as ever.

Film 4 are showing the subtitled versions of Studio Ghibli's films this week and I caught this one on Wednesday.  I've only ever seen the dub version, so it was a bit odd watching it in the original language, I will have to look into watching more of their films this way.

I watched 'The Hunt' last week with Mads Mikkelsen. it's a Danish film about a man wrongly accused of child abuse, and how easily and quickly his life falls apart; friends suspect him, people he's known for years shun him. It was very dark but the performances were wonderful..   (Coincidentally the Guardian have it on their site to rent today.)

I watched 'The Hunt' last week with Mads Mikkelsen. it's a Danish film about a man wrongly accused of child abuse, and how easily and quickly his life falls apart; friends suspect him, people he's known for years shun him. It was very dark but the performances were wonderful..   (Coincidentally the Guardian have it on their site to rent today.)

I want to watch this at some point -Mads Mikkelsen is one of my favourites at the moment. A Royal Affair was probably my film of the year last year.

I want to watch this at some point -Mads Mikkelsen is one of my favourites at the moment. A Royal Affair was probably my film of the year last year.

How daft am I though...sat there thinking to myself..'Troels Hartmann from The Killing looks different.'...till I found it THAT was his brother Lars.. :blush2:  

Spirited Away

Excellent, as ever.

Film 4 are showing the subtitled versions of Studio Ghibli's films this week and I caught this one on Wednesday.  I've only ever seen the dub version, so it was a bit odd watching it in the original language, I will have to look into watching more of their films this way.

we are big fans in our house..my 8 year old sat through 2 hrs of subtitled tv. without moving...it's THAT good..

Five easy pieces, with Jack Nicholson. Awful droll  thriller, actually the scenes were all filler, no killer, much less thriller. Jack played, as ever, a rough arrogant man, philandering his way to oblivion..poor.

Edited by itsmeagain

Spirited Away

Excellent, as ever.

I love that film! Nice to see some other Studio Ghibli fans here :).

War of the Worlds, which was on BBC 3 tonight. I loved it. :D

The Tom Cruise version?  It's more of a remake of the 50's film spliced with parts of Close Encounters than it is an adaptation of the book.  A real disappointment after initial reports that they were going to make a period adaptation.

The Tom Cruise version?  It's more of a remake of the 50's film spliced with parts of Close Encounters than it is an adaptation of the book.  A real disappointment after initial reports that they were going to make a period adaptation.

I downloaded the Kindle freebie of War of The Worlds this week..I've never read it. The 50's  film version gave me the heebie jeebies as a kid..just hearing that weird rattly noise the aliens made, even now, gives me the creeps..   The newer version does nothing for me..

I downloaded the Kindle freebie of War of The Worlds this week..I've never read it. The 50's  film version gave me the heebie jeebies as a kid..just hearing that weird rattly noise the aliens made, even now, gives me the creeps..   The newer version does nothing for me..

The book is very good indeed.

I quite like the 50's film as well, not because it is a good adaptation, but because of all the Cold War paranoia it (and most other B movies of the time) is wrapped up in.

^^  I loved the book.  I quite enjoyed the Spielberg/Cruise version when I first saw it, but it deteriorated so badly on second viewing I don't ever want to see it again :lol:

Last night I watched Rise of the Guardians on blu-ray.  Quite possibly the most gorgeous animated movie I've yet seen.  Good fun, but I didn't like it as much as How to Train Your Dragon :D

I also started watching The Goonies but quickly gave up.  I'd forgotten they all spend the whole time SHOUTING.  Very annoying, overrated movie :banghead:

Just watched the Tom Cruis version of War of the Worlds. Have to say it was quite good. I was actually scared even though it wasn't scary itself it was scary in that I felt like I was there. I thought the way the robot things died was crap though. Could've been better.

Robot with a bit of Ewan McGregor! Was halfway through the film and thought the actress for Piper sounded familiar then realised it was Amanda Bynes. Not double-checked to make sure I'm right but I'm gonna be super syked if I am!

^^  I loved the book.  I quite enjoyed the Spielberg/Cruise version when I first saw it, but it deteriorated so badly on second viewing I don't ever want to see it again :lol:

The first half-hour is very grating.  Any normal human will get that Tom Cruise is a bad Dad after the first five minutes, you really don't need that rammed down your throat for the next thirty.

I also started watching The Goonies but quickly gave up.  I'd forgotten they all spend the whole time SHOUTING.  Very annoying, overrated movie :banghead:

It's not as good as it is sometimes cracked up to be, but I still like it.

Slick shoes, guys!

Just watched the Tom Cruis version of War of the Worlds. Have to say it was quite good. I was actually scared even though it wasn't scary itself it was scary in that I felt like I was there. I thought the way the robot things died was crap though. Could've been better.

They do sound good, though.

Edited by Raven