The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and the boyfriend saw The Great And Powerful Oz last night. Rather enjoyable, and funnier than I expected. It was kind of evocative of Disney classics, especially Alice n Wonderland, and Snow White, and of The Wizard of Oz of course.

The Lucky One, very predictable but ok.....

I think most Zac Efron films are predictable now. I thought it was quite good though. Quite moving at times (or just my teenage riddled hormones! :lol:)

I watched Life As We Know It the other day which I forgot to mention. Didn't expect much but it was surprisingly very funny at times, and definitely enjoyable.

What did you think of it bree?

Sorry I took so long to answer this poppy.

Capote - I could understand why Hoffman won the Oscar - but the film really didn't engage much with me emotionally.

(I think I feel this way about quite a few Oscar-winners - the films seem a bit too made-for-perfection and lacking some passion and rawness - if you know what I mean!)

That happens a lot to me too, Bree, I love an actor's performance yet don't feel the same about the actual film.

I watched an oldie over the weekend, which was Mr. Boggs Takes a Vacation (I think that was the name of it) with Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara.  Pretty funny little film! :D

Parker - It's amazing.... How many directors think you'll jump when theirs a lonely guard walking round a house or when someone has just walked away from someone on the floor.

It's not the worst film i've ever seen, but it's pretty ...... J lo

That happens a lot to me too, Bree, I love an actor's performance yet don't feel the same about the actual film.

I watched an oldie over the weekend, which was Mr. Boggs Takes a Vacation (I think that was the name of it) with Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara.  Pretty funny little film! :D

Mr Hobbs :D  Yes, that is a great film!  I love all the older movies.

Today I went to see Song For Marion, with Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp.  It is both hilarious and heartbreaking, but ultimately uplifting.  Definitely recommended.

Mr Hobbs :D  Yes, that is a great film!  I love all the older movies.

Today I went to see Song For Marion, with Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp.  It is both hilarious and heartbreaking, but ultimately uplifting.  Definitely recommended.

Mr. Hobbs!!  That's right!  Thanks, Ruth ;)  Yeah I love a lot of old movies too :D.

I watched The Master last night and oh, man. there's a movie I would never watch again.  It's funny because I normally love PT Anderson's films, but honestly, this one went no where and made absolutely no sense to me.  Loved Phoenix's acting, however it didn't seem like much of a stretch for Hoffman. 

For the life of me I could not grasp and hang onto the point of the movie, which bothers me.  I thought I might find any positive reviews of it and see if someone else saw something in it that I didn't.  For now though I'll consider it a wasted evening :(.

I think most Zac Efron films are predictable now.

I didn't realise Zac Efron played a young version of Simon Tamm in Firefly until last weekend.  When I saw his name flash past in the end credits I thought I'd miss-read it and had to wind it back to make sure I wasn't going mad.

I watched The Master last night and oh, man. there's a movie I would never watch again.  It's funny because I normally love PT Anderson's films, but honestly, this one went no where and made absolutely no sense to me.  Loved Phoenix's acting, however it didn't seem like much of a stretch for Hoffman. 

For the life of me I could not grasp and hang onto the point of the movie, which bothers me.  I thought I might find any positive reviews of it and see if someone else saw something in it that I didn't.  For now though I'll consider it a wasted evening :(.

My husband and I saw The Master at the theatre a while back.  I haven't seen much of Phoenix, but read about his performance and how he had truly pulled off a masterpiece of acting.  Well, it was all true, the way he took on the physical aspects of the character was absolutely amazing to me.  No, it wasn't much of a stretch, in a way for Hoffman, but man, he was good. :)

Well.  As to the point or meaning of the film, I thought Hoffman took Phoenix's unformed character.  He was rather a thuggish sort I thought, and gave him focus.  At the end when Phoenix had left Hoffman's "organization" (which I thought was a total rip-off of Scientology) he was a different man.  Phoenix became a hustler/confidence man like Hoffman was in the film.  The scene at the end of the film, when Phoenix was in bed with the girl.........he was totally spinning a tale for her, with much the same "aura" that Hoffman had in the beginning of their association. 

So for me the meaning was Phoenix's morphing into a focused sort of confidence man.  Becoming Hoffman's character in a large way.  So, the con continues.

And, btw, I'd actually like to see it again, and so would husband.

We saw two movies yesterday, Quartet with Maggie Smith, et als.  We both liked it.  Yes, it was mushy, yes it was predictable.  Don't care.  Beautiful ending. Only wish they'd shown the act, not just the sound.  Oh well.  :)

Other film was the opposite end of the spectrum...Dead Man Down with Noomie Rapace and whatshisname.  Well known, his name has slipped my mind at the moment.  Revenge film, but at least Rapace can act.  Both good actors actually.  Mean story though.