Dan Brown

Raven

• 4 weeks later...

I read The Lost Symbol recently as my first of his books. I think I'll leave it at that one book.

It generally bothers me when a big book describes a relatively short space of time.

I wonder if anyone could recommend authors of this type of mystery/conspiracy ... minus the religious aspects. I've realized I rather like conspiracies, just not indiscriminately.

I wonder if anyone could recommend authors of this type of mystery/conspiracy ... minus the religious aspects. I've realized I rather like conspiracies, just not indiscriminately.

I've read a couple of Scott Mariani's books, they were good fun and would seem to fit the bill :smile:

http://www.scottmariani.com/books.html

• 1 month later...

Has anyone bought Inferno yet?

Yes. It's on my nightstand and waiting to be read. But tonight I am far too tired to read anything. But I am very much looking forward to it. I am such a sucker for cliffhangers! :)

Enjoyed his first, so yes I gave it a fair read, but only got to page 51 before giving up -  it all felt a bit too style-samey to me?

It had barely gotten down to business by page 51. I'm well past it. Not finished Inferno yet but it's getting better and better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed dan brown's angel amd demon ,and i bought all his works. To my disappointment, the digital castle really sucks, and i didn't even finish a half of it. The lost symbol wasn't good either. Hearing that the da vinci code is very much like the angel and demon, i gave up reading it. There're really isn't much plot in his works, i love angel and demon, but i'm definitely not a fan lf dan brown. I don't think i'll give a try to his new work.

Just bought the following books, 99p each/£4.95 for the lot:

Digital Fortress

Deception Point

Angels and Demons

The Da Vinci Code

The Lost Symbol

I felt I couldn't go wrong with those prices, intending to begin reading them in September.

Just got done with Digital Fortress. After looking around I got the impression that the books weren't going to be very good, sort of prepared myself for that. I have been pleasantly surprised by the first one though! I'd say they have sort of a... James Bond/Jason Bourne/Mission Impossible feel to them, not what I usually go for but still a refreshing read! I got through all 510 pages in a little over 24 hours, fast reading for me these days. The short paragraphs kept me hooked.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Ravens initial post, I am not a big fan of his books,  I find them very hard to read, which is to bad because the ideas in the plot I find very interesting.  Its the exception in the writing I can not get past.  I find them nearly unreadable, although I did finish Angels and Demons.  What I would like is to see the ideas he has translated by a more polished author.

I have to agree with Ravens initial post, I am not a big fan of his books,  I find them very hard to read, which is to bad because the ideas in the plot I find very interesting.  Its the exception in the writing I can not get past.  I find them nearly unreadable, although I did finish Angels and Demons.  What I would like is to see the ideas he has translated by a more polished author.

Yes, that's the thing isn't it? He just isn't a very good writer and this is very jarring, and I can't get past it!I remember trying to read [as he is so popular] I think it was Angels And Demons [but not sure] about the hero's tweed jacket rustling in the breeze.... :giggle2:

tweed jackets may do many things, but they never rustle.

• 2 weeks later...

I could forgive the poor writing if some of the plot-lines weren't so unbelievable. The ending of Angels & Demons is so ridiculous that I was laughing out loud - not a good reaction to a thriller!

Just finished "The Lost Symbol" and really enjoyed it, though it frustrates me that I usually forget much of the explanations of the symbolisms in D.B.'s books within a week! On the other hand, it keeps them interesting for another :readingtwo: , so maybe my defective memory isn't such a bad thing? :D

Having now limbered-up in Brown-plot, I've just collected "Inferno" from the Library.  

A few more late night sessions ahead, maybe - ?