Dan Brown

Raven

Only read Robert Langdon and don't believe the hype. There's always a mad monk ,hassassin type character. Save yourself from reading Digital fortress and Deception Point at all costs.

Edited by dex

I have nothing against badly written prose. Just like I have nothing against soap operas on TV. It's not Shakespeare or Downton Abbey, but it's still enjoyable.

It's refreshing to read your comment :)

I liked Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code too. Haven't read any of his other books though.

I read both Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code when I was 16. I loved them. There are far worse books out there than Dan Brown's! (Far better too, yes, but his are still perfectly enjoyable conspiracy adventure stories). So I'll be looking forward to this one!

My parents own a few of them in Dutch. They've been on my TBR list for a while, nowadays though I prefer the original English versions so I might have to go out and buy the originals. My parents liked the books. I've seen The Da Vinci Code the film, I liked it.

I don't personally think Dan Brown writes badly at all. He might not be the most lyrical, eloquent author but when I'm reading his novels the writing does what it's supposed to: it carries the plot forward and I don't ever pause and think 'that was poorly written'.

I don't personally like it that Dan Brown's fans are called fans of badly written fiction.. To each their own.

I still haven't gotten around to reading The Lost Symbol eventhough I got the book as soon as it was released, I should really bump it up on my TBR... I just wish I'd waited for a paperback edition, the hardback is huge and heavy!

I disliked The DaVinci Code, and haven't read any others of Brown's books. I don't dismiss a book out of hand on account of "badly written prose" either, usually, but the whole story line just.....annoyed me. The way Brown set up the scenery didn't please me either. Anyhow.

As my Aunt would have said.....To each his own kettle of fish!

Sadly, anyone or thing as successful as Dan Brown becomes an easy target, especially on the internet. Good luck to the guy - he writes for a living, unlike the vast majority of us.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Just to be clear, my comment at the start of this thread was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Whilst I couldn't personally stomach The Da Vinci Code, there are certainly worse authors out there.

I'll second that. I've read the first four books and while I enjoyed them and didn't think they were badly written, I did find certain parts to be completely unbelievable. Once that happened, I couldn't read any more as my heart wasn't in it. The same thing happened with Tom Clancy.

Still, he seemsto have got a lot of people reading that don't normally read much. That can't be a bad thing at all, so kudos to him for that.

I've read all three and quite enjoyed them all. I wasnt too keen on Angels and Demons as i found it quite samey but the other two i enjoyed a lot. I dont think it will be one that I'll rush out and buy as soon as its released but i think that if i see it about ill probably buy it.

I read the Da Vinci Code and quite enjoyed it.

I do have another one of his books at home, which i picked up cheap from a charity shop and still haven't got round to reading. I can't even remember the title :s I will read it soon though! :)

I don't mind Dan Brown at all and will quite happily read more of his books after enjoying The Da Vinci Code!

:)

I read Angels and Demons when I was 16 and back then I actually thought it was one of the best books I've ever read. But having read the rest of his books since then, I agree that they are very formulaic and I can't really tell them apart anymore. The Lost Symbol started out well but I found it very anti climatic. I'm not sure that I like Robert Langdon as a protagonist; sure he has a cool job but as a person he isn't riveting! I will probably read Inferno though simply because I've read everything else he's written, and it's not like I didn't enjoy it.

I read all of Dan Brown's books in my teens, I enjoyed them at the time but not sure I will read them again. I have kept all of them until recently when I decided to get rid of The Lost Symbol as that was my least favourite. Will I read the new one? At some point... maybe.

I enjoyed reading his books, but can't recall what any of them are about. I'm remember them being quick entertaining reads.

The first one was Digital fortress. I don't remember much of it, but the title reveals it's technology something.

Second was about reseach or something by the polar area. A female protagonist. Rachel, I think. I believe it was something from space that had crash landed on earth, that was said to be alien.

Angels & Demons was the murder of the pope, and a who did it story. First one with Robert Langdon.

The da Vinci code about the secret a group held about the bloodline of Jesus.

The lost symbol.... I can't remember, something about freemasonry and some institute.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm unsure if I read Angels & Demons. I definitely read The Lost Symbol and I think the Da Vinci Code. I'm also sure I tried reading one of his other novels, about cryptic things or something. God knows. The movies are more appealing to me to be honest.