pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Secret Scripture to read must bump it up to the top after reading your review. I like the sound of Travels in the Scriptorium as well. :smile:

Oh, goodie!  I know you'll enjoy both!

I loved The Secret Scripture too, I think it was one of my favourite reads of last year (or the year before?  time moves so fast now!) :)

I'd put off reading it for quite a while, and can really say I wish I hadn't done so.  Very rewarding.

Sorry about the blank space...I tried to copy and paste the other night, but format weirdness ensued. :)  Trying again.

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster 5/5

What did I think? Heck of I know yet. Love the cross references. Love the play on names and words, hope he keeps writing so I can keep reading his work.

Search for identity? Yeah, sure. But to me it is the word play, the sly bits, the contradictions in his writing that is so verra engaging. As I've written before in different places, the man has definitely seen too many Twilight Zone TV shows. Which, by the way, was one of my favorite television shows. The original Rod Serling versions.....no imitators allowed or valid.

Cliff hanging, funky endings are butter to my toast. Thanks Mr. Auster
! :D

Highly recommended.

Edited by pontalba

Over the weekend we visited plantation houses that are up river from New Orleans.  We'd seen Oak Alley already about a year and a half ago, gorgeous house.  http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/welcome.html

This time we visited the Laura plantation http://www.lauraplantation.com/ and Houmas House  http://www.houmashouse.com/

Laura was more a working plantation, and run almost exclusively by women.

Houmas House is the most beautiful really, the house has been restored and the owner lives there.  There is a restaurant and gift shop on the property too. 

Of course we bought books. :D

Memories of the Old Plantation Home by Laura Locoul Gore (yep, the same Laura)

Louisiana Architecture by Jonathan Fricker, Donna Fricker and Patricia L. Duncan

Within the Plantation Household Black & White Women of the Old South by Elizabeth Fox-Genovese

It Happened in New Orleans by Bonnye E. Stuart

French Quarter Fiction edited by Joshua Clark

Father Mississippi, the Story of the Great Flood of 1927 by Lyle Saxon

Louisiana Saturday Night by Alex V. Cook

Edited by pontalba

Oh I love the plantation house tours ! We went to a few several years back in Virginia, I think ..geez, that's pathetic that I can't remember ,but it was probably 30 years ago ,so my brain can;t retain things from that far back .

Sounds like you'll have some interesting reads about the houses too !

I would love to visit the plantations too!

I wonder if I could find a copy of Memories of the Old Plantation Home here in Australia. I would love to read something about plantation life.

Oh I love the plantation house tours ! We went to a few several years back in Virginia, I think ..geez, that's pathetic that I can't remember ,but it was probably 30 years ago ,so my brain can;t retain things from that far back .

Sounds like you'll have some interesting reads about the houses too !

We'll go on some more, I'm sure.  There are some along the River closer to home.  They're next. :D

WOW. I am so jealous! I wish I could visit those plantations. The books all sound excellent too. What a fascinating period.

It was fascinating.  When you think about how the simplist thing was so time consuming.  One of the tour guides brought out about the simple things we take for granted.  Preparing meals was a full time job, and of course the kitchens were separate from the main house on account of fire hazards.  But the cooks prepared hundreds of meals a day.  :eek:

I would love to visit the plantations too!

I wonder if I could find a copy of Memories of the Old Plantation Home here in Australia. I would love to read something about plantation life.

Can you order through Amazon? 

Good luck with it, I hope you can find it!

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa a lowish 4/5

Although it is touted as "highly original, infinitely charming, and ever so touching" by Paul Auster, I can't fully agree.  Charming, yes.  Touching, yes.  The relationship between the housekeeper and the professor that only retains memories for 80 minutes, and her child is nothing short of wonderful.  It is the "highly original" I cannot really agree with.  Yes, it is original, in a way.  I suppose I just have higher expectations of what that phrase should mean. 

For me, the best part is the making of a family where there was none. The professor has been cheated by an automobile accident that ended a brilliant career, neither the housekeeper or her son have had the benefit of a father figure in their lives.  It's a perfect fit.  Just how all this comes together is the heart of the story.

Recommended.

Another trip in the States... And frankie starts to wonder... and takes a look at pontalba's details under her avatar. The location doesn't say anything to frankie but it sounds British to her, yet she goes, she googles... and finds out pontalba's from the States! :blush: I'm sorry, I assumed you were British for some reason. I guess if the location doesn't reveal someone's non-UK-ness in very definitive terms (and frankie's poor in geography), frankie generally assume everyone's a Brit :blush:

I haven't read Deaver, but you are peaking my interest!  I'll have to acquire one or three. 

I would heartily recommend Deaver! :yes: You could start with the first book in his Lincoln Rhyme -series if you like. He also has some stand alone novels and a few other series but I've not read any of them yet.

Yes, the Goddard I read was a stand alone.  You know it's really awful.  I pulled the one Goddard out of a group of three.....and now I can't find the other two. 

Do you mean from your own shelf? :D Now that's wicked!

Frankie

Just now saw your question about the Deaver books. I haven't read any of his either,but I "think" they would be more along the line of...not sure what word I'm searching for ...more like a rough-edged suspense . Not exactly a good term ,maybe more along the line of a thriller type book that'd appeal a lot to men ?

Also not a good term,since I've never read any, they just sound like that to me, but I could be totally off the mark on them.

I know where you are getting at, but I'd like to say that Deaver is 'female-friendly' in my opinion. But maybe you meant that Goddard is more easily approachable for women, too, in comparison.

As for Goddard, I really can't think of anyone I'd compare his writing to,and calling them just mystery books would be selling him short . I think his go much deeper than that. They are usually told in a very convoluted way.The main chacracter in the book is usually just kinda bumbling along through life when a chance meeting, letter,or event begins a long series of events ,that are all connected to another tiny piece of the story .From all these tiny pieces, you have to sorta connect the dots(and it's a huge dot-to-dot ),to make a complete picture. You go along gathering these up throughout the story ,and think you finally are on the right track,but the end is always a surprise,nothing even close to what you think it'll be .

Sounds good to me, I'll have to keep an eye out for his books. Thanks for the details! :) I might go with Past Caring first, if I get the choice, otherwise I'll just go with whatever I can get my hands on.

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry 4/5

I ended up loving this story of a woman that might be a hundred years old writing and keeping hidden her manuscript, her telling of her life as she remembers it.  She has been incarcerated in an Asylum for the better part of her life.  The injustice she has suffered has not, somehow, made her bitter and she seems to be more writing her story to straighten it out in her own head as much as to leave something behind.....for someone. 

In tandem, the head of the Asylum writes his notes.  The dovetailing of those "scriptures" makes for a complete, well, almost complete story. 

How all the lives intertwine, finally, is a heart wrenching story of love, abandonment, political insanity, but mostly affirmation of self. 

I found it a bit slow to get into, but well worth the wait.  A most satisfying read.

Recommended.

Thanks for the review! I've seen a copy of this book in the library and I've been on the fence. Whether to read it or not. Your review was very persuasive :D I'll have to write the title down on wishlist.

When The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared is compared to Forrest Gump, it's an accurate assessment.  I've not read FG, bud didn't care much for the film.  But readers whose taste I trust enjoyed it, so I thought.....well, maybe.
The again, maybe not. 

I managed about a quarter of the book and skimmed the rest, hoping I could latch onto something I'd appreciate.  Didn't happen.  I really did laugh out loud at the first few chapters, then it just became too repetitive for my taste. 

I believe part of my dislike was cemented by some of the casual and to my mind, disrespectful references made about persons for whom I have a high regard. 

Just not my cuppa.

I understand why someone would say 100man is like FG, because of going back and forth in time, telling one's life story, and meeting real historical characters and mingling with them, but other than that they are different. Well, both are funny, both have had some pretty unbelievable and amazing things happen to them, but as a character, Forrest Gump is so much more likable. Well not likable, but one really sympathizes with him and wants to be his friend, where as the 100man is more of a funny pal kinda guy. If that makes sense. I love Forrest Gump the book, every time I read it I keep being surprised how funny the book is. But it's not for everyone, so I'd better stop hyping the book :D

Another trip in the States... And frankie starts to wonder... and takes a look at pontalba's details under her avatar. The location doesn't say anything to frankie but it sounds British to her, yet she goes, she googles... and finds out pontalba's from the States! :blush: I'm sorry, I assumed you were British for some reason. I guess if the location doesn't reveal someone's non-UK-ness in very definitive terms (and frankie's poor in geography), frankie generally assume everyone's a Brit :blush:

I would heartily recommend Deaver! :yes: You could start with the first book in his Lincoln Rhyme -series if you like. He also has some stand alone novels and a few other series but I've not read any of them yet.

Do you mean from your own shelf? :D Now that's wicked!

I know where you are getting at, but I'd like to say that Deaver is 'female-friendly' in my opinion. But maybe you meant that Goddard is more easily approachable for women, too, in comparison.

Sounds good to me, I'll have to keep an eye out for his books. Thanks for the details! :) I might go with Past Caring first, if I get the choice, otherwise I'll just go with whatever I can get my hands on.

Thanks for the review! I've seen a copy of this book in the library and I've been on the fence. Whether to read it or not. Your review was very persuasive :D I'll have to write the title down on wishlist.

I understand why someone would say 100man is like FG, because of going back and forth in time, telling one's life story, and meeting real historical characters and mingling with them, but other than that they are different. Well, both are funny, both have had some pretty unbelievable and amazing things happen to them, but as a character, Forrest Gump is so much more likable. Well not likable, but one really sympathizes with him and wants to be his friend, where as the 100man is more of a funny pal kinda guy. If that makes sense. I love Forrest Gump the book, every time I read it I keep being surprised how funny the book is. But it's not for everyone, so I'd better stop hyping the book :D

ROTFALOLTIC!  Yikes.  If I did live in the UK, that would be a lot of trips!  Didn't think.  But, yes, I am just north of New Orleans, Louisiana.  :D

Yes, I will def acquire a Deaver or two. Thanks for the rec.

:giggle:  :blush2:  Yeah, our own shelves.  /sigh/  That's why we need you guys to orgainze us.  hee hee

Re 100 yo man...and FG...well, yes...the reasons you mention are certainly true.  But it was more than that for me.  There was a certain flatness to the prose, and I think it's entirely possible it is the translation.  And, ok, I promise that the next time I see FG at the library sale, I'll peruse the pages. :D

I've rated Asset by Jonathan Orvin 4 stars instead of the 3.5 I'm really thinking. Mostly because I feel it deserves to be rounded up and not down. My complaints are few.

The story is a hair-raising ordeal of an "asset", one Sam Mitchell of the British MI6. We are pretty sure he is an asset, but there is some indication that he is just a low down liar. Of course the two are not necessarily incompatible.

Asset is the story of his infiltration of and (possible) escape from what boils down to the Russian Mafia. Not guys one wants to be on the bad side of, and he is big-time.

The characters were rounded and complete, Orvin is expert at creating almost unbearable tension. Realistic motivations were eventually given for the actions of Mitchell and the ones that helped him along the way. I appreciated the descriptions of the workings of the political and military establishments of the area, they were detailed and most interesting.

Orvin describes Mitchell's physical surroundings and travails in sometimes excruciating detail. Not that it wasn't warranted, but I felt it could have been tighter. I would have appreciated a bit more connective tissue. I felt Orvin's way of supplying more tension was to make parts of the connections between characters/segments deliberately obscure. I thought he went a little far in that quest although all was made clear later in the story.

Once into the rhythm of the story it was very exciting and I'll certainly look for and read more of his future writings. His ending was both realistic and well done.

Recommended.

Today I received I Could Pee on This (and other poems by Cats) by Francesco Marciuliano and immediately sat down and read it cover to cover. :)

rating: cute

A sample:

Busy, Busy

It's 8 a.m. and time to rest

It's 10 a.m. and time to relax

It's noon and time for repose

It's 3 p.m. and time for shut-eye

It's 6 p.m. and time for siesta

It's 9 p.m. and time to slumber

It's midnight and time to snooze

It's 4 a.m. and time to hang upside down

from your bedroom ceiling, screaming.

Just a book of poems that could fit a cat's logic. It is cute, and adorable. 

Seems to me, as a cat lover, to capture the minds and motivations of cats inner mind.

If you are a cat lover, read it.

Recommended for cat lovers only. :D

Edited by pontalba

ROTFALOLTIC!  Yikes.  If I did live in the UK, that would be a lot of trips!  Didn't think.  But, yes, I am just north of New Orleans, Louisiana.  :D

:giggle2: Every day there's something new to be learned!

Re 100 yo man...and FG...well, yes...the reasons you mention are certainly true.  But it was more than that for me.  There was a certain flatness to the prose, and I think it's entirely possible it is the translation.  And, ok, I promise that the next time I see FG at the library sale, I'll peruse the pages. :D

It might be the translation, or then it just wasn't your thing. And that might apply to Forrest Gump, too. Yes I think the safest thing for you to do is to peruse the pages first, don't go spending your money on a new edition at a bookshop. I will not take the rap for that :D

I thought I'd post a litle about New Orleans.  I came across this link tonight and figured I share. :)

GoNOLA Cemetary Tours

There are other pages to this website that tell about New Orleans.

That's really interesting about the cemeteries, they are beautiful! And I like it that the tours are done on a voluntary basis and the cost goes towards the upkeep of the cemeteries :)

Today I received I Could Pee on This (and other poems by Cats) by Francesco Marciuliano and immediately sat down and read it cover to cover. :)

rating: cute

A sample:

Just a book of poems that could fit a cat's logic. It is cute, and adorable. 

Seems to me, as a cat lover, to capture the minds and motivations of cats inner mind.

If you are a cat lover, read it.

Recommended for cat lovers only. :D

Oh dear, I only read the title of the book (I Could Pee on This) and then went straight to the poem. And thought to myself, this is a poem about a rather ... interesting sort of person! And pontalba sure likes her books a bit on the odd side... :lol: Then I took a closer look and saw the reference to cats...

Pontalba: Asset. I did too: think the tension was excruciating. The scene setting I felt was so real, and made me believe I was there at times. The dear bolting, leaving him feeling so desperately forlorn. The continued clenching of his fists as he fights against his claustrophobia. But why it got so deep under my skin is the rescue/removal/escape of these young military conscripts: I just so want that to be true. It's out there, in the public domain, what is happening to these poor unfortunates. I just want that to be so true. I'm going to dig up everything I can read on this. I want to believe it, and lay awake thinking about how credible the rest of his story is. I know he can say what he wants on the radio, but he did say he had met people that knew of this underground organisation. I just can't think that anyone in such an outfit would blab about it. He (the author) said that the government know of them, can't locate them, and therefore deny they exist. But this is another thing, and I can't stop thinking about it: he (Mitchell - the main character) is not an MI6 Asset, I'm sure of it. Harry, the MI6 officer in London is told to fly the asset back from Kazakhstan pronto, and then we find Mitchell being handed a ticket to a berth on the Trans-Siberian Express by one of the members of the underground organisation. So who is the asset? Mitchell lies to people in Atyrau because he was on his last legs: starving and with nowhere to stay. That's my read of it, maybe I'm not seeing what you are. If he was an MI6 Asset, would he have told the people in the oil company of his parents and his actual family history? And he did admit to lying when he was talking to a manager at the oil base. I found his (the author's) website and I sent a mail asking him for some indication. His answer was: 'Ahh, that we'll have to wait a while for.' Grrrrrrrr, it's got me all worked up again. I think I'll take a glass of wine for a bath.

Edited by FelisT2

That's really interesting about the cemeteries, they are beautiful! And I like it that the tours are done on a voluntary basis and the cost goes towards the upkeep of the cemeteries :)

Oh dear, I only read the title of the book (I Could Pee on This) and then went straight to the poem. And thought to myself, this is a poem about a rather ... interesting sort of person! And pontalba sure likes her books a bit on the odd side... :lol: Then I took a closer look and saw the reference to cats...

There is so much to see and do in New Orleans, even stuff that doesn't involve drinking...lol  The architecture is fascinating, as is the history.  French, Spanish, American....and that's just the governments. :roll: lol

Yes, well, there is something to hanging upside down from the ceiling.  But for someone a bit more, er, athletic than I.  :crazy:

Edited by pontalba

Felis, all good points.  And great questions. 

I don't think the girl's bosses would have been too interested in Mitchell if he wasn't their man.  As I recall the MI6 guy told the other one that the asset would be deniable, on his own but they'd pay.  The plane ticket was for the man that delivered some papers (I think) and was only in the area for a day, maybe two at the most. 

Mitchell knew he was on his own, that there was no help for him at the embassy.  (lousy IMO) 

And, yes, MItchell was a liar from the get-go.  I felt that it was his inexperience that led to his "honesty" about his parents to the work place.  I thought that he was only used as an asset because he happened to be in the right place at the right time, and could fit without much muss or full.  After all, for MI6 to insert someone new to the area, without the deep knowledge that Mitchell possessed would have been difficult.

It is true, I was a bit confused at some connection points, but I came away with the def impression that Mitchell was the asset.  I'd love to hear what the author says about it.  When/if you hear, post it here, ok?

Pontalba: fiddle-de-diddle-dee-dee! What's a girl spoosed to do? I can't read this again, now. I need to 'wait a while,' whilst reading other stuff: Red Attack, White Resistance is going to be in my 'lickle' mitt by tomorrow lunch time: I'm biding my time with Wuthering Heights.

Loose ends; not fair. I ought tell Mr. Orvin so.

All this talk about Asset has me intrigued, I'm going to add it to my wish list!

I don't think you will be disappointed.  It is a compelling story. 

Instead of rereading though to straighten some factoids out, I'm handing it over to my husband to vet.  :D

And I gave it to my Father, Pontalba: he reads really, really, really, really, fast - he read Blair's, My Journey in 10 hours and spoke about it at his book group the very next day. Unbelievabubble - it took me two weeks to read that. He said (my dear Daddy) that he would have lunch with me on Sunday (I'll feed the ducks a little earlier) in town. He's going to come and get me and take me to lunch - wizzhoo. Yummy-yum-yum. I do love my dad.

Boy, am I sunk into this book (Red Attack-White Resistance). I'm pretty sure it won't shed any light on the 'White Knight' thingy-majiggery-pokery (the '1918' in the title kinda' shoulda' bin a clue - somewhat dim at times - but it is like my Father said, 'You tend to jump before you look, my dear.') but it is awfully interesting to read about how the Bolsheviks grabbed a hold of things, back then.

It's my birthday in April and my parents always buy me lots of books - they are just great - and Daddy said, 'This year you can send a list.'  -  Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus - I think they are over the moon that I am exploring a subject, rather than hop, skipping, and jumping around.

I'm going to bed - I'm gonna' read and read. Wizzhoo - it's great to be here. My brother and his wife (I do love them so very much) are downstairs drinking lager and watching telly. But it's okay, 'cause I can talk to you guys.

Sleep tight.