pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

By the Time You Read This by Giles Blunt 4/5

Even knowing the "who" about 40-odd% in did not reduce the climbing tension in this smoothly written Canadian police procedural. Blunt weaves a compelling story of murder, abuse of power, love and hate.

Detective John Cardinal's wife has suffered with clinical depression, and bi-polar disease for all of their married life. She is an award winning photographer, brilliant in composition. And, surely her disease is pretty much under control with a caring psychiatrist, one that combines drug therapy with talk therapy. She hasn't had a manic episode, or a hospitalization for depression in quite a while. But one night she leaves the house to photograph the coming Harvest Moon from the tallest building in the small town and doesn't return home.

Cardinal's journey through his grief, and dogged search for the truth is realistically told, with compassion and truth. This is part of a series. A series I am now very interested in following up on.

Highly Recommended.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even knowing the "who" about 40-odd% in did not reduce the climbing tension in this smoothly written Canadian police procedural. Blunt weaves a compelling story of murder, abuse of power, love and hate.

Detective John Cardinal's wife has suffered with clinical depression, and bi-polar disease for all of their married life. She is an award winning photographer, brilliant in composition. And, surely her disease is pretty much under control with a caring psychiatrist, one that combines drug therapy with talk therapy. She hasn't had a manic episode, or a hospitalization for depression in quite a while. But one night she leaves the house to photograph the coming Harvest Moon from the tallest building in the small town and doesn't return home.

Cardinal's journey through his grief, and dogged search for the truth is realistically told, with compassion and truth. This is part of a series. A series I am now very interested in following up on.

Highly Recommended.

How does it rate on the scary-o-meter ? I tend to go for cosy mysteries ; the scariest I`ve read have been the Kathy Reichs` Bones books, or one of Tess Gerritsens` Rizzoli and Isles books. :hide:

How does it rate on the scary-o-meter ? I tend to go for cosy mysteries ; the scariest I`ve read have been the Kathy Reichs` Bones books, or one of Tess Gerritsens` Rizzoli and Isles books. :hide:

I'd put it close to the Reich's books.  A few scenes are uncomfortable, but not overly descriptive.  Well, one is a bit, but it's over fast and the lead up is more suspenseful. 

If you like cozies, have you read the Joe Grey series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy?  If you like cats, cats that are wisenheimers, and talk, you'll enjoy them. :)

I'd put it close to the Reich's books.  A few scenes are uncomfortable, but not overly descriptive.  Well, one is a bit, but it's over fast and the lead up is more suspenseful. 

If you like cozies, have you read the Joe Grey series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy?  If you like cats, cats that are wisenheimers, and talk, you'll enjoy them. :)

Thanks ; shall wait and see what you think of any others in the series before jumping in. :smile:

And thank you for the tip ; I tried the first Joe Grey book and it didn`t quite click for me. I`m not sure why, perhaps I was comparing it to the Rita Mae Brown ` Mrs Murphy` series, rather than seeing it as its own thing. :018:

Blood Will Tell, A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII by Kyra Cornelius Kramer 3.5./5

An exhaustive study of the possibility, or, in truth, the probability of King Henry VIII of England's blood diseases. The book debunks the old bone of Henry having syphilis, and presents compelling and itemized evidence of his blood being Kell positive, complicated by onset of McLeod syndrome in later life.

Kramer's relating of the history of each Henry's wives along with the above suppositions is fascinating, and complete.

Recommended for those interested in English history.

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory 3/5

I debated on a 3 or 4 star rating, and finally came down to the three star.
The historical information is excellent, and Gregory gives wonderful insight into the machinations of the beginnings of the Cousins War. Her research is meticulous, and the list of books she has read in research of this complex time period is mind boggling, and she has put that knowledge to excellent use.

The story of Jacquetta of Luxembourg, mother of Elizabeth Woodville, eventual great grandmother to the infamous Henry VIII is entwined with the beginning of the Cousin's War, aka War of the Roses between the House of Lancaster and the House of York.

The romantic lens that Gregory used to tell the story dulled somewhat the edginess of the politically tricky and terribly grim times of the tale. She told it as a romance, and while there were certainly romances going on, and they had a telling effect on the events, they were not the crux of the matter.

In a way, I'm glad I left this, the first novel of the series, to read last. If I'd read it first I might have given up on the Cousins War series. And that would have been a shame, as the next ones were toned down a bit in that area. Or, at least the romance was more integral to the direction of the events.

Also, although I'd already found a paperback copy of Dunant's The Birth of Venus at the local Library Sale, this evening I saw a good condition hardback at the local 2nd & Charles used book store.  So, I had to buy it! :)  Also picked up a copy of her In the Company of the Courtesan, and...just ordered through Amazon Marketplace a copy of her Mapping the Edge.  What a versatile author!  Thanks again for the tip willoyd, and frankie. :).

I've been eyeing In the Company of the Courtesan for years now, at the library, thinking that 'one day I will read you...!' :D It sounds like a great read and willoyd's line on it sounds promising :) I hope you enjoy it and Dunant's other books :)

Highly Recommended.

Putting this on my wishlist  thanks Pontalba. :smile:

Putting this on my wishlist  thanks Pontalba. :smile:

BTW, it's the 4th in the series.  I didn't realize it when I bought it for my kindle.  I've found the first three on Amazon Marketplace, second hand. 

I'd posted these links over on Book News, but wanted to put them in here, to keep track of them.

'Books On Bikes' Helps Seattle Librarians Pedal To The Masses

And, for science fiction fans......

Author, Feminist, Pioneer: The Unlikely Queen Of Sci-Fi

And, for mystery, Sue Grafton fans......

In 'Alphabet' Mysteries, 'S' Is Really For Santa Barbara

Last, but not least, I wonder if anyone on here has visited this festival.

Hay Festival 22 May–1 June 2014

I originally heard of the last festival back in 2006 from this NYT article. In Rural Wales, a Sundance for Bibliophiles

BTW, it's the 4th in the series.  I didn't realize it when I bought it for my kindle.  I've found the first three on Amazon Marketplace, second hand. 

Ah- that's good essential info. Thanks !

I have a definite yen to visit the one in Wales! 

There is a Book or Literary Festival in Washington, D.C. every September.  We've been tempted, but haven't made it yet.  I wish they'd have it at the same time as the State Department's Book Sale!  That is every October.  Drat, we can't make both.

I have a definite yen to visit the one in Wales! 

There is a Book or Literary Festival in Washington, D.C. every September.  We've been tempted, but haven't made it yet.  I wish they'd have it at the same time as the State Department's Book Sale!  That is every October.  Drat, we can't make both.

Do you have to take a trailer along for the new books ? ;)

I've been to Hay a couple of times, once driving and once on the bus from hereford (I got stung by a bee on return journey.) As a book readers heaven, I've bought more books in my own town and online. I've never been to the festival. There was a specific murder shop when I last went, but at the time it had the wrong authors i.e. Christie etc.

Do you have to take a trailer along for the new books ? ;)

LOL  We decided to box the books and mail them home.  Worked a treat.  We also mailed home our laundry, rather than carrying the dirty clothes around with us.  :cat:  The rate was very reasonable.  Book rates in country are very good. 

I've been to Hay a couple of times, once driving and once on the bus from hereford (I got stung by a bee on return journey.) As a book readers heaven, I've bought more books in my own town and online. I've never been to the festival. There was a specific murder shop when I last went, but at the time it had the wrong authors i.e. Christie etc.

Oh, fun!  Excepting the bee sting!  :icon_eek:

Yeah, we buy most of our books online actually.  But the new second hand store, 2nd & Charles is most promising.  We've bought a couple of stacks there.  They also carry second hand DVDs, at a very fair price. 

AIE:  there is a giant book sale up in Connecticut that I've had my eye on.  Maybe next year! :D

Edited by pontalba

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor    2/5

I'll generously give Felicia's Journey a two star...it's in-between a one and two for me. I've read about half, and read the end. Shame on me! hah Oh well. Not sure I'll ever finish, a bit too creepy, and boring at the same time. Not sure how that has been accomplished, but that's the feeling I have. Dunno, for some reason, Trevor always affects me this way. I'll like the synopsis of his books, but I've yet to finish one.

It isn't only that it is slightly depressing, but to be bored and depressed is too much to overcome. Goodness knows I like authors that have some so called "depressing" stories but in someone like, for example John Banville, the writing makes up foe the down of the subject matter. I just don't respond to or particularly like Trevor's writing. That is not to say, it's across the board bad....but for me...no dice.

The story?, oh, yeah the story.  Seduced and deserted Irish girl leaves home, pregnant and penniless, trying to find the no good louse that left her.  She has little information to go on, meets a man that seems to want to help her. /sigh/  Is he Sir Galahad or Norman Bates?

Meh.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 5/5

The reviews I've read of Gone Girl have been absolute polar opposites. This is clearly a love it or hate it book. I found it both a fascinating study of human nature, and a good example of very black humor.

Most reading this review will know the basic beginning of this story. Amy and Nick meet, fall in love, marry. They are the golden couple of New York City, until that is, the recession hits and they both lose their jobs. Circumstances bring them back to Nick's home town of North Carthage, Missouri, a far cry from the high life of NYC.

Then Amy disappears. Their house turns into a crime scene, and Nick is the main, heck, he is the only credible suspect. Flynn scatters clues, pointing the finger in several different directions. Is Amy a victim? Is Nick really a loving husband, blindsided by his wife's disappearance.......or a murderer?

The story is told in alternating narratives, one from Nick, and the other Amy's side of the story told in a Dear Diary manner. Are the narratives truthful? What about the alarming incidents from Amy's past life? There are several plot twists and turns and an ending that had me exclaim out loud to my husband.....Well, don't that beat all! I had to laugh out loud.

I'd love a crystal ball to tell the future of the characters left standing at the end of this book.

Highly Recommended

@Athena, thanks, I really think it's worth the read. 

@BB, thanks, when I thought about it this morning, it occurred to me it was a true Hitchcock ending.  And, having grown up on series like Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Twilight Zone I have an appreciation for same. :D

@Sophia, thanks a lot Sof, I agree, it'll be a reread down the road.  I know I must have missed some details.

I've been on the fence with this book for a long time, but your Alfred Hitchcock reference has made me decide to buy it! I'm sold.