TBR Books You Have Been Putting Off Reading

Kylie

The Children's Book by A S Byatt.  I read about 100 pages of it in 2010 but then gave up.  I was going to get rid of it by my Mum borrowed it and then raved about it - so I've hung on to it.  

Also Shakespeare's Wife by Germaine Greer. I feel bad about this one because my daughter bought me it for Christmas a few years ago, but it's one of those really big paperbacks - I wish it was normal sized!

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest - Steig Laarson - not sure why really - I liked the first two!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books that have been on my TBR for too long. I don't know that I've been actively ignoring them but they've certainly been superseded by some younger .. just been in the house five minutes .. whippersnappers. I've not given up on reading them yet though.

Monica Ali - Brick Lane

Rosie Alison - The Very Thought of You

Margaret Atwood - The Blind Assassin

Amy Bloom - Away

Jesse Bullington - The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart

Amanda Craig - Hearts and Minds

Glen David Gold - Carter Beats the Devil

Sadie Jones - The Outcast

Oh dear ..  most of them are still unread :blush2: .. the only one I've managed is Brick Lane and didn't like it much so not encouraging. Carter Beats the Devil has become a standing joke .. Alan says 'read it' and I say 'I shan't' :D .. poor book has got stuck slap bang in the middle of our bantering. I will feel like I've lost if I give in and read it :blush2: .. how can I do this to a book? *feels shame* I will read it .. when he's not looking :D

The Children's Book is a difficult one Janet .. I liked it but sometimes it was a slog.

I have had two attempts at reading this and both time given up after about 150 pages. There is nothing I disliked about it but it has failed to grab me and the size is very off putting.

It certainly is a doorstopper i could probably fit 3 books in it's space if i were to get rid of it  :devcat:

I too read The Fountainhead when I was young-ish and was quite taken with it.  I've since re-read it a couple of more times and while my head is in a different place I still enjoy analyzing and pondering it's meaning.  Keeping an open mind is key, Frankie! ;)

I'll echo also the fact that Secret History is really worth a read.  It's another one I've read more than once and I still love it.

...the only one I've managed is Brick Lane and didn't like it much so not encouraging. 

I couldn't get into it either, although it sounded exactly like the kind of book I would enjoy.

Of the others on your list, The Blind Assassin is the only one I have read, and I enjoyed it. :smile:

I think the books i have on my TBR pile that i keep putting off reading because they could be potential mojo killers are 

Midnight's Children  Salmaan Rushdie

Loved this: really rich, vibrant read. Ironically, it did a lot to restore my mojo a few years ago!

I haven't got too many books on my TBR at the moment, but one that I keep looking at but never actually starting is Capital by John Lanchester.  It's just such a thick doorstop of a book that I get a bit twitchy whenever I think about it! :lol:

Don't let that put you off. It may be thick, but it's a very easy light read; I found myself racing through it.

For me, the one I keep putting off, not deliberately but only because other shorter, easier books keep getting in the way, is Les Miserables. I promised myself I would read it this summer (as I did last summer, and the one before that), and I've not even started.

Edited by willoyd

I'm guilty of the same with Les Miserables willoyd. I got it for kindle about six months ago in the hope that not lugging around the physical copy would encourage me... Not so far!

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo has also been staring at me since Xmas 2010...

I'll echo also the fact that Secret History is really worth a read.  It's another one I've read more than once and I still love it.

I agree it's a fantastic read & in my top ten all time favourite books  :smile:

Of the others on your list, The Blind Assassin is the only one I have read, and I enjoyed it. :smile:

I enjoyed The Blind Assasin as well, it's not my favourite Atwood but it's definitely worth a read.

Loved this: really rich, vibrant read. Ironically, it did a lot to restore my mojo a few years ago! 

Well that's encouraging, i might even get round to reading it this year  :smile:

Don't let that put you off. It may be thick, but it's a very easy light read; I found myself racing through it.

That makes me feel a little less apprehensive! Maybe I'll give it a go sooner rather than later. ;)

Edited by chesilbeach

For me, the one I keep putting off, not deliberately but only because other shorter, easier books keep getting in the way, is Les Miserables. I promised myself I would read it this summer (as I did last summer, and the one before that), and I've not even started.

I'm guilty of the same with Les Miserables willoyd. I got it for kindle about six months ago in the hope that not lugging around the physical copy would encourage me... Not so far!

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo has also been staring at me since Xmas 2010...

I'm reading Les Mis right now and it is so good, but such a long book. 

I think because the book is so big it seems more intimidating and makes me want to read it less. I only have 100 pages left now, but I am not feeling inspired to read them. 

I've been reading Led Miserables since before Christmas and I'm still only half way through. I've been thinking of admitting defeat and taking the bookmark out but I just can't quite do it!

Otherwise I still have Sherlock Homes on my shelf, so that will be 7 or 8 years now! :(

Edited by Cookie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Les Mis right now and it is so good, but such a long book.  

I've been reading Led Miserables since before Christmas and I'm still only half way through. I've been thinking of admitting defeat and taking the bookmark out but I just can't quite do it!

It's a tough one definitely. I abandoned listening to it earlier in the year but have given it another go and am more than halfway through now. If I was reading it I'm sure I would have abandoned by now or laid it down and only picked it up with reluctance because, brilliant though it is, it's so detailed that I'm constantly wandering off. I've never known anyone ramble on so much :blush2: 

Les Miserables, The Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo.....all on the shelf, beckoning.  When will I get to them?  /sigh/ Something else always seems to get in the way.  Every so often I've come across titles on the shelf that I know I must have bought 20 odd years ago, at least, unread. gak :blush2:

There is only one book that I have been putting off reading, and that's because of the price - more than £13 for the Kindle version. The book in question is The Slum by David S Rosenthal. It is regarded as a Brazilian classic, which I think is probably the reason for its hefty price tag. The paperback version is even more costly at £16. I have seen it for less than that on some sites, but I need to figure out how to convert it to Kindle format using the Calibre software that I downloaded. Since my wish list seems to get bigger by the day, and there are so many other books I always want to read, despite its classic status, this one seems to go further down the list every day. One day though I will figure out how to do that conversion and I will buy and devour it.  

I've still got some from last year, Lawrence Block 1st person. what doesn't kill you Hardback plus not sure if it's anygood, Mary Burton, Andrew Gross no reason. (Pic Evidence)

the hypnotist, just keep finding other books to read.

Edited by dex

Acker, Kathy: Blood and Guts in High School

Allende, Isabel: The House of Spirits
Danielewski, Mark Z.: House of Leaves
Dickens, Charles: The Pickwick Papers
Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables
Maugham, W. Somerset: Of Human Bondage
Segal, Erich: The Class
Shakespeare, William: Romeo and Juliet
Solzenitsyn, Aleksander: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Thoreau: Walden and Other Writings

Frankie, I can vouch for The House of the Spirits and I know Julie loved it too.. A great slow burner of a read. :)

I have a feeling it will be great, so that's not the thing that's putting me off it... It's just that I have a small paperback copy and the print is small! And it's all the more painful when I know it's a long story. I think I shall like it when I get to it, but it's the idea of starting to read a big big story (also in that it's a big family story, if I remember correctly) in small font and practically no space between the small lines :(

Edit: I just remembered, that I've once read a book by her before, it was a Finnish copy of the Zorro novel, and it was full of typos! :censored:  It was very off-putting! :(

Edited by frankie

Maybe you could get a copy from the library instead? :)

I most probably could, but in a stupid, stubborn way that would defeat the purpose: I bought the book so I could read it, and I'd hate to then borrow it from the library, having spent money on it :D So silly, really! :giggle2: Not that I even bought it brand new, it was a secondhand copy... :D

Edit: I will get to it eventually :) Too many books! :rolleyes::)

Edited by frankie

Absolutely I do. In fact, i really have a real 'To-Be-Read' list I wrote to keep track of all the great-looking books to read because there's so many lol. The reason being is I have so many books and not enough time. I read at a decent pace; maybe 15-20 pages a day. And I like to scope for other books on my off-time, just surf Barnes and Noble website or wherever and read about books. 

• 2 years later...

The Miniaturist and The Nightingale - I've had both for ages and I know they're awesome because everyone keeps saying they are, but every time I see them on my quest for my next read, I skim past thinking I'm not quite ready!