TBR Books You Have Been Putting Off Reading

Kylie

I think I bought it after reading The Fountainhead in my angst-ridden youth. :giggle: I've just picked up Atlas Shrugged off the bookshelf to have a look at it, and not only is it huge, but the writing is tiny!! I think it may be a while before I get to it. :hide:

I had this one on my TBR pile for quite a few years before I decided to tackle it (and only then because a book club TV show was planning on reading it). Despite it's length and subject matter, I found it quite readable and I read it extremely quickly (for me). :)

I read it a short while after I read The Fountainhead - when I was still in the Ayn Rand euphoria (I was around 17 then - angst-ridden youth for me too, I suppose!) - and it made a huge impact on me.

I don't think I can pick them up now though.

Do make sure you're in the mood for it bobblybear - or it will seem tedious!

Edited by bree

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bree, I did suspect that it is one of those books that can only be appreciated while in a particular frame of mind. :smile: I can't remember much about Ayn Rand's philosophies but recall being impressed in my late teens and early twenties, and then pooh-poohing it all after that. I think it may be one of those books I will pick up when I've whittled down my TBR pile and am really scratching around for something to read....so probably when I'm in my sixties or seventies. :giggle2:

Gyles Brandreth Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders

Christopher Brookmyre The Sacred Art of Stealing

Glen David Gold Carter Beats the Devil

Kate Mosse Labyrinth

Jed Rubenfeld The Interpretation of Murder

I've read these ones and they are all excellent. The Sacred Art of Stealing is my favourite Brookmyre book (it features the best bank heist EVER!), however, you shouldn't read it unless you've already read A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away as it introduces the main character, Angelique de Xavier, and you'll have a better idea of how the character works. Theoretically you could read TSAOS without reading ABBDIARA, but you'd miss all the (excellent!) back story and there are references you would totally not get.

I regularly go through Mount TBR and remove the books I find I'm no longer interested in reading, They get donated to my old local library which ha shad zero acquisitions budget for about 5 years now (which is shocking, if you ask me!).

I always find that when I get some new books, I'm desperately excited about reading those and the books that have languished on my shelf for some time get neglected further...

The books I've been putting off reading:

Because of size:

- Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables

- Seth, Vikram: A Suitable Boy

Because I fear they might be too intellectual for me:

- Bulgakov, Mihail: The Master and Margharita

- Danielewski, Mark Z.: House of Leaves

- Gaarder, Jostein: Sophie's World

- Rand, Ayn: The Fountainhead

- Rand, Ayn: Atlas Shrugged

Because I feel I might not 'get' it:

- Acker, Kathy: Blood and Guts in High School

Because I fear I might not like it as much as other members on here:

- Gruen, Sara: Water for Elephants

- Thackeray, William Makepeace: Vanity Fair

Because I've tried it once or twice but couldn't get into it:

- Atwood, Margaret: Alias Grace

- Maurier, Daphne du: Rebecca

- Radcliffe, Ann: The Mysteries of Udolpho

Because I haven't felt like it:

- Allende, Isabel: The House of Spirits

- Blixen, Karen: Out of Africa

- Cunningham, Michael: Flesh and Blood

- Cunningham, Michael: Specimen Days

- Eco, Umberto: The Name of the Rose

- Kostova, Elizabeth: The Historian

- Lewis, Matthew Gregory: The Monk

- Roy, Arundhati: The God of Small Things

Because I want to like it so bad that it makes me fear I won't

- Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations

- Dickens, Charles: Hard Times

- Dickens, Charles: Nicholas Nickleby

- Dickens, Charles: The Pickwick Papers

Because I know it will make me too sad:

- Jones, Aphrodite: All She Wanted

Because I'm afraid of Virginia Woolf:

- Woolf, Virginia: Mrs Dalloway

I've read these ones and they are all excellent. The Sacred Art of Stealing is my favourite Brookmyre book (it features the best bank heist EVER!), however, you shouldn't read it unless you've already read A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away as it introduces the main character, Angelique de Xavier, and you'll have a better idea of how the character works. Theoretically you could read TSAOS without reading ABBDIARA, but there are references and you would totally not get them.

Ok, these two have now gone on my wishlist!

Donna Tartt The Secret History

I'm pretty sure you would enjoy this! It's atmospheric, it's to do with books, and literature students and all good kinda stuff like that! :)

And Kylie, I was thinking about reading John Irving maybe a year ago, and asked people on some thread which books they would suggest by him and I'm pretty sure A Prayer for Owen Meany was one of them :yes:

Edit: I checked my wishlist and yep, APfOM was on it :)

These are the books that have been on my TBR shelf for around a year or more, have read glowing reports on most of them on here and elsewhere and am slowly working my way through them, I'm so glad I am because Rebecca had sat there for a long while and it's probably one of my favourite ever reads now!

I agree with your sentiments, I'm going to try and get to some of the books I've been putting off reading the most, because I've found a few gems that way already this year, and it's only January :D

The Beach

Middlesex

I've tried getting into The Beach on a few occasions but I never got further than a few sentence before dropping it, and I honestly thought I'd never read it. But I tried reading it again just a few days ago and got completely hooked! I have about 130 pages to go. Have faith! :)

Middlesex is really great when you get sucked into the story. I think it warrants the appropriate mood, but it's really good :yes:

I read it a short while after I read The Fountainhead - when I was still in the Ayn Rand euphoria (I was around 17 then - angst-ridden youth for me too, I suppose!) - and it made a huge impact on me.

Thanks bree, I did suspect that it is one of those books that can only be appreciated while in a particular frame of mind. :smile: I can't remember much about Ayn Rand's philosophies but recall being impressed in my late teens and early twenties, and then pooh-poohing it all after that. I think it may be one of those books I will pick up when I've whittled down my TBR pile and am really scratching around for something to read....so probably when I'm in my sixties or seventies. :giggle2:

If you guys read Ayn Rand when you were in your teens, I guess I shouldn't be too scared of the books being too smart for me. I don't mean to undermine your intelligence or the minds of teenagers, I just feel that maybe I'm underestimating self ...

Because of size:

- Seth, Vikram: A Suitable Boy - A lovely book that I flew through!

- Gaarder, Jostein: Sophie's World - Not a chance of it SW is a great and eminently readable book!

Because I fear I might not like it as much as other members on here: Have read neither, but know EXACTLY what you mean! lol

- Atwood, Margaret: Alias Grace - I have read this, but remember not really enjoying it, and can remember zero about it.

Because I haven't felt like it:

- Roy, Arundhati: The God of Small Things - Evocative and wonderfully written. Worth trying.

- Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations - I'd start with GE, it really is a great read.

I will take a wander around my book shelves later and see all of my ones, any I find I think will now head toward the charity shop.

Athena, I have a thing for being thorough sometimes :blush: Plus I love spending time on here and like to do as much of it as can :D

Chrissy:

- Seth, Vikram: A Suitable Boy - A lovely book that I flew through!

I think this will be a book that I will enjoy, because when I bought it I read through the first couple of pages and I loved it. It's just the size that feels so daunting. However, I also thought the book was in very small print and your post has prompted me to pick up my copy and check the print, and it's not nearly as bad as I remembered, it's very manageable indeed. So thanks for that :D

- Gaarder, Jostein: Sophie's World - Not a chance of it SW is a great and eminently readable book!

I think with this it was the case of the philosophical parts. I tried reading this in my teens when the book came out, and I didn't like the philosophy bits at all and started skipping them and then it felt like I was doing the book injustice. I've never picked it up again to actually read it, so it's pretty scary :blush:

Because I fear I might not like it as much as other members on here: Have read neither, but know EXACTLY what you mean! lol

Oh dear :D I guess we just have to pick the books up at some point and try and go all 'tabula rasa' with it.

- Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations - I'd start with GE, it really is a great read.

Coincidentally it's the one I'm most looking forward to reading when I get over myself and start reading Mr Dickens.

I will take a wander around my book shelves later and see all of my ones, any I find I think will now head toward the charity shop.

Are you sure you don't want to list them on here so we can talk you into reading them? :giggle:

- Danielewski, Mark Z.: House of Leaves

I tried this one but had to give up on it. It's a work of art and the plot sounds interesting, but after the novelty of the layout wore off it became a real chore. There were so many different threads to read at the same time; a page could have 3 footnotes, 2 of which are several pages long (and you have to find where they start on the page due to the layout) and unless you have a very organised mind, it's hard to maintain concentration of what relates to what, etc. I still can't bear to part with it though (although I can't find it on my bookshelf, hopefully it's somewhere in the loft) as it's so original, creative and fascinating to look at.

- Gaarder, Jostein: Sophie's World

I've tried this one numerous times as it got rave reviews many years ago. Each time, I kept having to put it down as a lot of the philosophies went over my head, and I just wanted a good story. Still, I've hung onto it for over 10 years so I'm determined to give it another go sometime.

- Atwood, Margaret: Alias Grace

- Maurier, Daphne du: Rebecca

I couldn't get into Rebecca either, but I think we are in the minority with that one. :o I haven't tried any of her other books. Shame about Alias Grace - it's one of my favorites.

- Kostova, Elizabeth: The Historian

This was good, but far too long and I lost interest and began skimming towards the end. It lacked something - like maybe the story wasn't strong enough for the length.

Due to the Size and you have to concreate on it

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. There another book i think it classed as classic book. If i remeber rightly think the writing small in it. Thats putting me of it.

Yeah, as I say above, it's not a small book. I do remember being hooked from the start, but losing interest towards the end.

If you guys read Ayn Rand when you were in your teens, I guess I shouldn't be too scared of the books being too smart for me. I don't mean to undermine your intelligence or the minds of teenagers, I just feel that maybe I'm underestimating self ...

Well, I may have read it, but I certainly doubt I understood it all. :D I'm not very good at reading between the lines, and tend to take it at face value. I first heard of The Fountainhead from Dirty Dancing, when Robbie wanted to lend it to Baby and she was quite disgusted with him. It caught my intererst and I wondered what the fuss was. I think at the time I thought it may have been a bit racy. :giggle2:

It's not difficult to understand frankie - do give it a go. :)

It's actually fiction written to drive home a point - of her views on objectivism and "the virtue of selfishness".

So it may not be entertaining - but when you're in the mood to explore new ideas do start with The Fountainhead. :friends3:

Edited by bree

A Prayer for Owen Meany

This is one of my all time favorite books. An absolutely wonderful story with so many memorable characters. Funny in spots, but so tragic in others. It really teaches a lesson in life . John Irving is higly popular here ,and I havent found a bookgroup or booklist over here that would turn down Owen as a top pick .

I hope those of you who have just about given up on it would give it one more go . You'll be so thankful you did .

The Secret History

I read this when it first came out and highly enjoyed it . A wonderful idea for a book,and seems almost believeable enough to have happen . Great story and well worth reading .

Chalie

House of the Spirits is a magical story . Wonderful and beautifully told .

I Know This Much Is True -- WOW .... Wally Lamb writes huge novels ,all filled with intricate stories of the people who live inside . I have to say with this one, if I wouldn't have PURCHASED a copy, Iwould never have completed it,but I have this weird theory that if I spend a lot of money on a book,that I am "wasting money" if I don't read it . I know it doesn't make sense . Anyhow, I bought it hardback,so it wasn't cheap. I was almost thrown off in the beginning by the horrid thing that happens in the first page or 2 .. VERY hard subject to handle, but I am so thankful I kept reading . I would even put it down and walk away at times because of the difficult subject matter ( for me ). We have a lot of family problems,as the family in the book does ,so it hit really close to home with me . It's probably the only book I've ever read that made me SOB ... the ending is the most inspiring, yet heartbreaking few pages I've ever read . By that point, I was up at 4 AM completing it ..By the time I read the ending, our oldest boy had come downstairs,and seen me, a crying mess ,re-reading the ending . I read the last few pages to him... I just don't know how to express how that ending can affect you . Shows how ,no matter WHAT happens or what type family you have, there are invisible bonds with those people,and you should always try your hardest to make and keep a connection with them,as they should do for you . This one gets a Gold Medal and a Blue Ribbon .

Robert Louis Stevenson - Treasure Island

I thought this was a rollicking good read! Terrific fun. :)

The Crimson Petal & The White

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Middlesex

^ I absolutely loved these books (but beware that Larsson takes a while to get going).

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy these ones at all:

The Alchemist

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Alchemist in particular was absolutely awful, I felt, but many people love it.

I think with this it was the case of the philosophical parts. I tried reading this in my teens when the book came out, and I didn't like the philosophy bits at all and started skipping them and then it felt like I was doing the book injustice. I've never picked it up again to actually read it, so it's pretty scary :blush:

I love this book! I understand why you find it daunting, I read it when I was a young teenager and understood most parts of the philosophy so I think you'll be allright :).

The Alchemist in particular was absolutely awful, I felt, but many people love it.

I started it once, and didn't get very far. I'm not going to force myself through it, it will get one more chance at some point in the future but I won't lose sleep over getting it read. :)

I agree i picked it up in a charity shop as it was one of the World Book night books & i thought it was absolutely awful can't understand why it was chosen as there are so many much better books out there

Janet, read The Chrisalids please, it's my favourite Wyndham book!

Okay, I'll bump it up the pile. :)

I thought this was a rollicking good read! Terrific fun. :)

I had a lovely copy of this, but I fear I might have got rid of it as I can't find it. :( I've downloaded it onto my Kindle now.

Ok, these two have now gone on my wishlist!

Yay! Let me know what you think of them - Brookmyre is one of my favourite authors. :)

On the case of The Alchemist, I liked it but didn't love it. I thought it was pretty average, TBH, and undeserving of the rave reviews it seems to get.

On The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I figured out the biggest plot point 2 pages in and worked out whodunnit it the moment the character was introduced. I never finished the boko (got about half way through) because I hated it so much. I actually threw it against a wall because it was boring me so much, That said, I seem to be in a very tiny minority - most people seem to love it.

• 6 months later...

I think the books i have on my TBR pile that i keep putting off reading because they could be potential mojo killers are 

Midnight's Children  Salamaan Rushdie

2066 Robert Bolano

Of course i have a lot of books that i haven't read just because i haven't got round to them yet but these two are the ones that i think why did i ever buy them but i can't bring myself to get rid of them without at least attempting to read them first. 

I've had Lies of Locke Lamora lying around here for ages, as well as Magic's Pawn. Both came highly recommended, but I can't get into either of them.

I have to admit, I can't look at that pink unicorn cover of Magic's Pawn and want to read it. I should, I assume I'd like it, but... *shudder*

Lies of Locke Lamora I started, but I don't like the characters much, yet. I hope to retry it at some point.

There's also Belgrave Square, which broke my run on the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series. I loved the series, and I'm really not sure what turns me off the book so much. I never get farther than 2-3 chapters, and I just can't find the same enthusiasm as for the books before.

I think the books i have on my TBR pile that i keep putting off reading because they could be potential mojo killers are 

Midnight's Children  Salamaan Rushdie

2066 Robert Bolano

Of course i have a lot of books that i haven't read just because i haven't got round to them yet but these two are the ones that i think why did i ever buy them but i can't bring myself to get rid of them without at least attempting to read them first. 

I have had two attempts at reading this and both time given up after about 150 pages. There is nothing I disliked about it but it has failed to grab me and the size is very off putting.

The Last of the Mohicans

I've had that book for probably 5 or 6 years now and haven't read it. I want to read it and get into it, but there are so many others that I really really want to read first or that I find and buy that go on the top of the pile. 

Someday I'll read it. Someday . . .