new reader

Hi i am a new reader and and have never read a book i am 42 years old and looking to improve my reading and spelling skills i have been advised that reading is the best way forward can anyone recommend any books i am looking for something not too complicated but with some action and omph i am not easily offended and would like somthing a bit edgy and not to long winded thanks john

Something that might appeal are books related to tv shows you enjoy. I find they are comfortabe reads as you know the character and can just get on with the stories.

For example, I'm a Doctor Who and Torchwood fan, so have read and enjoyed quite a few stories relating to the shows. :smile:

Hi John, you might like to try the Quick Reads books. This is from their introduction page explaining what they're all about:

Quick Reads are bite sized books by big name authors and celebrities. They are perfect to engage people with reading as they are short and use clear language but still have fast-paced, brilliant storylines.

Quick Reads can be a more satisfying alternative to a magazine or newspaper. They are easy to read and there is a great range of titles to choose from.

You can buy them online or from some bookshops and supermarkets or you can borrow them from your local library. At £1.99, they cost less than a DVD!

• 1 month later...

It might be a good idea to start with some short stories. Stephen King has some good collections if you like your horror at all. Skeleton Crew is my favourite collection but most of them have good stuff in them. 

I also agree with Chrissy. Starting with a few tv shows or films you enjoy that are based on books can make getting into reading a lot easier. Fight Club or I Am Legend for example are excellent books and quite short, only a couple of hundred pages. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i am a new reader and and have never read a book i am 42 years old and looking to improve my reading and spelling skills i have been advised that reading is the best way forward can anyone recommend any books i am looking for something not too complicated but with some action and omph i am not easily offended and would like somthing a bit edgy and not to long winded thanks john

Hello nice to meet you i like also read a lot  i order from fast web and also read about what is about my book I can give you to see