85th Academy Awards - 2013 Oscars!

Kell

The nominations for the 85th Academy Awards have been announced - hurrah!

You can see the full list of categories and nominations HERE.

I'd love to see what everyone's predictions are! Here are mine:

• Best Picture: Lincoln
  • Best Director: Steven Spielberg – Lincoln
  • Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln
  • Best Actress: Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
  • Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
  • Best Supporting Actress: Helen Hunt – The Sessions
  • Best Writing – Original Screenplay: Django Unchained – Quentin Tarantino
  • Best Writing – Adapted Screenplay: Life of Pi – David Magee
  • Best Animated Feature: Brave – Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
  • Best Foreign Language Film: Amour (Austria)
  • Best Original Score: Anna Karenina – Dario Marianelli
  • Best Original Song: “Skyfall” from Skyfall – Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
  • Best Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty – Paul N. J. Ottosson
  • Best Sound Mixing: Argo – John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia
  • Best Production Design: Les Misérables – Eve Stewart and Anna Lynch-Robinson
  • Best Cinematography: Life of Pi – Claudio Miranda
  • Best Makeup and Hair Styling: Hitchcock – Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel
  • Best Costume Design: Anna Karenina – Jacqueline Durran OR Les Misérables – Paco Delgado
  • Best Film Editing: Argo – William Goldenberg
  • Best Visual Effects: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White

The Hobbit definitely be a worthy Visuals Effects award

Only other one I have seen is Skyfall.

Probably go and see Lincoln, have seen the trailer and it does look good. I imagine it will pick up a few of them.

I went to see 'Untouchable' (French) and it was a brilliant film, would have liked to see that one get an award.

Edited by Inver

I haven't seen enough of the films to make solid predictions, but I believe Lincoln will win a majority of the 12 nominations they received. As it should! It's superb :D.

It's a long shot, but I'd love to see Moonrise Kingdom take hom the original screenplay Oscar. Wes Anderson isn't recognized enough for the brilliance he writes and gets on screen.

With that being said, hopefully it's not just another night of owed favors being paid back between Academy members :rolleyes:

Happy to see Lincoln pick up so many nominations and it should rightfully sweep up; the film was excellent. Have both Zero Dark Thirty and Django Unchained waiting to watch in the next few days, but other than that the nominations seem good to me. There's been some surprise expressed that Tarantino and Bigelow didn't get director nods, and that Leo didn't get one for his role. Can't really comment upon that until I've seen them both though (which should be very soon).

Edited by Ben

I watched Django Unchained tonight - liked it WAY more than I did Lincoln, but it won't get the best picture nod (I reckon Lincoln has it in the bag - it's just "the type" that fits is all). I've only seen a handful of the films so far, so my predictions are all based on gut instinct and may change as I see more films.

I plan to see (as soon as possible):

• Life of Pi
  • Les Miserables
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Anna Karenina

I'm also tempted to watch:

• Kon-Tiki (nominated for Best Foreign Film)
  • A Royal Affair (nominated for Best Foreign Film)
  • Amour (nominated for Best Foreign Film)
  • Frankenweenie
  • Wreck-it Ralph
  • The Impossible
  • The Master
  • The Sessions

I intend to watch Amour and The Master as well as all the main one's you listed; the consensus amongst most of my friends is that both are excellent and that Phoenix thoroughly deserved his nod for Best Actor (even if surely DDL will snap that one up).

Edited by Ben

I watched The Impossible last night and bawled my eyes out from start to finish. It's brilliant, but very difficult to watch t times, purely down to the horrific nature of the disaster and the fact that this family is swept away from each other and you have no idea who, if any, of them will survive. Oh, and it's a true story too. Heart-rending stuff, but well worth seeing.

I've now watched Les Miserables and Silver Linings Playbook. Both were excellent, but I preferred the latter - a far more hopeful and far less depressing movie overall. Both feature excellent performances from excellent casts though, and both are well worth seeing.

I believe the major winners for acting and directing etc., will be Les Miserables and Lincoln. Daniel Day Lewis will probably win Best Actor, although I would like Denzel Washington to win, or Hugh Jackman (wouldn't mind Daniel Day Lewis winning though). Lincoln will probably win Best Picture.

I would love Anne Hathaway to win Best Supporting Actress, and I think she probably will.

Unfortunately, I reckon that Flight and Django Unchained will be pretty much pushed out by Lincoln and Les Mis, but would be nice to see at least one or two awards for those. :)

If the Golden Globes are anything to go by, Jennifer Lawrence may well be a big contender for Supporting Actress. Having now seen Silver Linings Playbook, I can see why - she's excellent in it. Hathaway is very good as Fantine, but she has all of about 10-15 minutes of screen time, so really it's more of a bit part than a supporting role.

Django may well be in with a shout for original screenplay (again, based on the Globes). Fingers crossed!

Ben Affleck got the GG for Best Director (Argo), but was completely snubbed in that category by the Oscars.