Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

Thanks julie :)!

I've received some books (more to come in a bit), including:

Stephen King - The Stand (BCF recommendation)

Stephen King - 11.22.63 (BCF recommendation)

Garth Stein - The Art Of Racing In The Rain (BCF recommendation)

Marcus Zusak - The Book Thief (BCF recommendation)

Jay Asher - Thirteen Reasons Why (BCF recommendation)

Edited by Athena

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen King - 11.22.63 (BCF recommendation)

Jay Asher - Thirteen Reasons Why (BCF recommendation)

I've read four of those, and thought them all excellent. Thirteen Reasons Why is on my TBR list based on recommendations from here.

I've received some more books:

Some of Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children series

I've read most of them in Dutch quite some years ago and really liked them. I look forward to read them in English.

EDIT: I'm making some progress with Towers of Midnight. It shouldn't be that long until it's finished.

Edited by Athena

Hey,

I'm fine thanks, very nice of you to ask :). I'm a bit tired, but that's the usual. I spent an hour or so talking with a friend, so a bit tired from that among other things. My project is progressing steadily, though sometimes it feels like progress is slow. All in all I can't complain.

Today is also a special day. It's my five year anniversary and even though we can't physically be together today, it's still a special day.

Happy 5 year annniversary ! That's really nice . Maybe the next time you are together, you can have a belated celebration !

We've been married since birth I think . We met when we were 13 .

Been married 35 years . :)

These are all excellent reads, I really hope you enjoy them! :) And I'm happy to see the BCF influence... :giggle:

I've received some more books:

Some of Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children series

I've read most of them in Dutch quite some years ago and really liked them. I look forward to read them in English.

I haven't read any of Jean M. Auel's novels, I've been meaning to for quite some time. I read She Who Remembers by Linda Lay Shuler as a teenager and I think her novels can be compared to Auel's, have you read any Shuler? If you like that sort of thing, maybe you can giver her a go, too :)

Today is also a special day. It's my five year anniversary and even though we can't physically be together today, it's still a special day.

I'm late with this, but happy anniversary! :smile2:

Have you read any books by Herman Koch? I came across with his novel The Dinner last autumn when I was working at the library and the title's stuck in my mind, the blurb sounded interesting. I thought I'd ask you as he's Dutch. I just borrowed the book from the library this Monday, I'm thinking it might be a great read! :)

I haven't read any of Jean M. Auel's novels, I've been meaning to for quite some time. I read She Who Remembers by Linda Lay Shuler as a teenager and I think her novels can be compared to Auel's, have you read any Shuler? If you like that sort of thing, maybe you can giver her a go, too :)

I haven't heard of Shuler before, the synopsis of She Who Remembers sounds really interesting though! Unfortunately the book doesn't seem to be available brandnew much, I'll wishlist it anyway though (could buy it second hand), thanks :).

I'm late with this, but happy anniversary! :smile2:

Thanks!

Have you read any books by Herman Koch? I came across with his novel The Dinner last autumn when I was working at the library and the title's stuck in my mind, the blurb sounded interesting. I thought I'd ask you as he's Dutch. I just borrowed the book from the library this Monday, I'm thinking it might be a great read! :)

I haven't read any of his books yet, though one of them my parents own (they bought it for me I think, to read for school but I didn't get around to it) and I did plan on reading it someday.. I'm not sure where in the house it is atm though (will have to search for it, it might be in my room, you never know XD I just know I haven't seen it in ages). I've heard he's a good writer though my parents haven't read much of his work, that I remember, so I can't give you any recommendation personally. Let me know how you get on though (if you want) :).

I've finally finished Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - Wheel Of Time #13: Towers Of Midnight. It was a great read, and I'm now even more eager to read the last book.

I don't want to spoil what happens in the first twelve books, so I won't write a detailed review. It's a continuation of the story and I loved it. It's such a great fantasy series. It's weird because when I was a teenager I borrowed the first book in Dutch from the library, and abandoned it halfway through. When I was older, I decided to give it a go again (because I'd heard so many good things about it) and bought the first book in English. I loved it!

I wouldn't recommend it if you can't stand descriptions of people's clothes etc., because there is some of that, in all the books. But I like that (though I wouldn't want it in all my books) in this series. The covers are also very pretty, they all match (they're black with the Wheel Of Time logo on the front, in different colours for each book).

5/5

I'm thinking of reading Diane Chamberlain - Breaking The Silence next. As usual, I need a little bit of time after reading a book, before I can read the next one, because the story is still fresh in my head and it needs time to be processed. Depending on how good the book was I just read, this can be more or less time (ie. an hour or a few hours). Towers Of Midnight was very good, so I may need more time rather than less. We'll have to see.

I've finished reading Tom Raabe - Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction.

This book is kind of a spoof on self help books with some actual tips in it. A lot of it is written tongue-in-cheek, taking the mickey out of things. There's two tests, to see how 'bad' your biblioholism has gotten. I was disappointed by the amount of actual tips in there, there weren't a lot, not as much as I expected to see. It's a great book to read though for anyone who loves books and buying/owning books. I own the 10th anniversary edition, this has an afterword concerning e-books (the rest of the book was written before the e-books' time, and even then the afterword was clearly written before e-books were as popular as they are these days). One of the sections I liked the best, was about the history of the written book, but it's not a true history, more of a made up one. I found it entertaining.

Rating: **** (4/5)

Next up I'll probably read Diane Chamberlain - Breaking The Silence (@bobblybear, thanks :), I look forward to reading it).

I've just finished Diane Chamberlain - Breaking The Silence, and wow, that was such a great read!

It starts intruiging already, Laura's husband kills himself while her daughter was in the house alone with him. She doesn't talk after this has happened. Meanwhile Laura's father dies (just before the husband kills himself), and on his deathbed asks her to take care of someone she's never heard of before. This all happens in the first couple of pages. The story gripped me from the beginning, and continued to make me want to read more.

One difference with some of her later works, is that, her other books that I've read, start each chapter from a certain point of view, with the name of this character above the chapter. This book didn't have names at the beginning of chapters, though it was told from multiple points of view. It was mainly told from the main character's point of view, with the parts about the past told from another character's point of view (and now and then the point of view of a third character). It doesn't make a big difference but thought I'd point this out since it's a slight difference from her other books that I've read.

I really liked this book. It's better, in my opinion, than The Good Father and Brass Ring, and just as good as The Midwife's Confession (those are the books I've read by Diane Chamberlain). It was really, really good, a brilliant read that I definately recommend.

Rating: ***** (5/5)

Books I plan to read this year:

Mostly books that I own that I haven't read yet (too many to type), as well as any future books I'll buy. I'll probably also read some manga from my boyfriend.

I'll write down a couple that I definately plan / hope to read:

Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - Wheel of Time #14: A Memory of Light (once the paperback is out)

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time #0: New Spring

Peter V. Brett - Demon Cycle #3: The Daylight War

Stephen King - It (reread)

Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (will see if I actually read it this year XD, been planning to read it for a while)

Joe Haldeman - Peace and War (omnibus)

Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games #2: Catching Fire

Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games #3: Mockingjay

And more in general, I plan to also read one or more books by:

Fantasy

Terry Pratchett

Robin Hobb

Brandon Sanderson

Terry Brooks

David Eddings

Raymond E. Feist

Brent Weeks

Trudi Canavan

Stephen Donaldson

Terry Goodkind

Karen Miller / K. E. Mills

Science-fiction:

Peter F. Hamilton

Alastair Reynolds

Dan Simmons

Neal Asher

Stephen Baxter

Iain M. Banks

Fiction (contemporary, historical, chicklit):

Sophie Kinsella

Diane Chamberlain

Penny Vincenzi

Erica James

Jodi Picoult

Nicholas Sparks

Literature:

Charles Dickens

More literature in general, I've got quite a few but they're hidden behind other books on my book shelves.

I also plan to read some young-adult books and maybe some detectives too.

There are probably books that I haven't typed now that I'll read, but I didn't want to type out all the books I own that I haven't read yet or that I plan to re-read. If you're curious though I'd be happy to copy paste a list from my database (or you can check me on GoodReads), not sure if it'd fit into one post or not.

I've always wanted to read Wheel of Time - I did start the first one years ago and never finished it. Perhaps it's time!

Also Terry Pratchett - it's my project to go through all the Discworld books.

Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult have a lot of books I've enjoyed over the years. Oh, oh and Sophie Kinsella too!

I've always wanted to read Wheel of Time - I did start the first one years ago and never finished it. Perhaps it's time!

Also Terry Pratchett - it's my project to go through all the Discworld books.

Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult have a lot of books I've enjoyed over the years. Oh, oh and Sophie Kinsella too!

Nice that we have some authors in common :)!

@Tim

Haha, nice! I love that film.