Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

Reading in 2013 - Favourite reads from 2013

Favourite fantasy

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire series (I've read the first two books and part one of book three)

Favourite science-fiction

Arthur C. Clarke - The Other Side of the Sky OR:

Ken Grimwood - Replay

Favourite contemporary fiction

Diane Chamberlain - Breaking the Silence OR:

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time

Favourite chick-lit

Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones series OR

Sinéad Moriarty - Emma Huntington series (re-read)

Favourite historical fiction

Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

Favourite literature

Anna Sewell - Black Beauty

Favourite detective

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 2: De Cock En De Wurger Op Zondag

Favourite horror

Stephen King - IT (re-read)

Favourite manga

Nagaru Tanigawa - The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan series

Favourite information read

Ian Ford - A Field Guide To Earthlings - An Autistic/Asperger View of Neurotypical Behavior

Favourite biography

John Grogan - Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

Favourite children's

Roald Dahl - Matilda or

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 4: Mary Anne Saves the Day

Favourite short story

Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading in 2013 - Statistics of books in 2013

Some of these statistics may be slightly inaccurate.

Amount of books read: 143
Amount of re-reads: 21
Amount of new books read: 122
Amount of Kindle books read: 41
Amount of physical books read: 101

Amount of pages read (averaged): 37549
Average amount of pages per book: 263

One book per x days: 2.6 days

Amount of books bought (physical): 644
Amount of books bought (ebooks): 170
Amount of free Kindle ebooks downloaded: 271
Amount of physical books received as gifts: 24

Books read that were bought in 2013: 80
Books read that were bought earlier: 54
Books read owned by others: 7?

Statistics of books read

Percent male authors: 81, 52%
Percent female authors: 75, 48%
Plus one time "Various Authors"

Nationalities
US: 69
UK: 42
Netherlands: 10
Japan: 9
Ireland: 6
Australia: 2
France: 1
Belgium: 1

New authors vs. known-to-me authors
New authors I've read a first or multiple books of: 69
Known-to-me authors that I've read one or multiple books of: 28

Most read author: Roald Dahl, 9 books

Standalones: 95, 67%
Series books: 46, 33%

Genres:
(note: some books have multiple genres)
Fantasy: 11
Manga: 8
Biography: 6
Information 37
Chick-lit: 20
Children's: 14
Contemporary Fiction: 16
YA: 7
Detective: 5
Graphic Novels: 1
Historical Fiction: 3
Horror: 3
Literature: 7
Science-fiction: 6

Fiction and nonfiction
Fiction: 101, 70%
Non-fiction: 43, 30%

Language
English: 125, 89%
Dutch: 16, 11%

Publication years
1975: 1
1987: 1
1990: 1
1993: 2
1995: 3
1996: 1
1999: 2
2000: 1
2001: 11
2002: 1
2003: 3
2004: 4
2005: 4
2006: 9
2007: 5
2008: 7
2009: 9
2010: 14
2011: 25
2012: 21
2013: 17

My rating
1: 0
2: 0
3: 0
4: 1
5: 2
6: 9
7: 15
8: 38
9: 35
10: 41
Average rating: 8.5

Edited by Athena

Reading in 2013 - Reflection

In 2013 I read 143 books. This is a lot more than I had expected to read! I estimated I'd read 50-75 books, with a stretch goal of 100. So I went way passed that!

This year I've read more shorter books, compared with last year. The shorter books were mainly children's books, shorter adult reads and Kindle short stories.

Read-a-thons

The read-a-thons have made me read much more, of books I wouldn't much normally read otherwise (which was my goal). The first one took place in May-June, and there have been 7. I enjoyed most of them a lot! I'm glad I came up with this idea and that some of you have participated :).

Goals

I have read books off the TBR (as I planned) and I also read some manga from my boyfriend (as planned). There were a couple of books I specifically wanted to read this year. Of those, I've read some of them. Here's the list of specific books I planned to read:

Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - Wheel of Time #14: A Memory of Light (once the paperback is out)

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time #0: New Spring

Peter V. Brett - Demon Cycle #3: The Daylight War

Stephen King - It (reread)

Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (will see if I actually read it this year XD, been planning to read it for a while)

Joe Haldeman - Peace and War (omnibus)

Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games #2: Catching Fire

Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games #3: Mockingjay

I didn't read A Memory of Light, because it's not out yet in paperback. I also didn't read The Daylight War, which I've only just bought. I did read New Spring, IT and the rest of the Hunger Games series. I didn't read War and Peace or Peace and War.

I have read more literature in 2013, as I planned. My experience with this was mixed. There were a few books I quite enjoyed (ie. Anna Sewell - Black Beauty and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry - The Little Prince), but there were also some I didn't enjoy as much as I'd hoped (ie. Truman Capote - Breakfast at Tiffany's and Charles Dickens - Christmas Books.

In terms of other genres, I think I read quite a variety of things. I read mainly fiction (70%, non-fiction 30%). I did read more non-fiction than in previous years, though, which is good. Mainly, I read a lot of information books (mostly on the Kindle). In terms of genres, I didn't read as much fantasy and science-fiction, instead I read more chick-lit and contemporary fiction (not that there's anything wrong with that!). I also read some books of genres I didn't read a lot of in the last few years before 2013, such as horror books, historical fiction and literature (see above). I also read some children's books and young-adult books.

I did more re-reads than last year, mainly children's books but also a few adult ones.

I bought a lot of books in 2013, because of my stress. I also downloaded some free ebooks (once I'd bought my Kindle).

Most of the books I read were in English, but more than previous years I read some books in Dutch as well (some which were Dutch originally and some which were translations).

I had quite a few fantastic reads this year. My average rating is 8.5, which is pretty good I would say. Most of the books I read were rated between 6 and 10 (out of 10), only a few books I rated below 6.

This was the year I bought my Kindle, and I've read quite a bit on it. I haven't used it as much in the last few months, compared with the first six or so months I had it. I still much prefer paper books, but for traveling I find it very easy to use my Kindle. The free books are also really nice, it's got a nice light, and the dictionary on it and the ability to highlight things are both very handy.

All in all, I'd say 2013 was a very successful reading year for me :).

I love all of your stats! Now I'm inspired to try to keep the same sort of statistics throughout 2014. 

143 books is also quite the accomplishment. I'm not sure that I have time to read that many books in a year. I wish I did though! Congrats!! :):D

Stunning, Athena !

You are the most organized person  !  I try to be, but usually don't do real well with it .  Interesting stats, mainly between male vs. female authors. I think I read lots more male authors ,but have no idea what the numbers are .

Thanks so much for your comments :), all of you!! I had tremendous fun compiling my statistics.

Yes, I'll be setting my goals higher for next year. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself though, at the moment at least, so we'll see how things go :).

I was in town yesterday and while I said I wasn't going to buy any more books in 2013.. I couldn't help myself when I saw an English paperback of Veronica Roth - Divergent 3: Allegiant. Other shops told me this wasn't going to be out for another 9 months, so I bought it and can now read the whole trilogy :smile2: (statistics edited accordingly).

Also, I should shortly be receiving my paperback copy of the 14th Wheel of Time book (A Memory of Light) which I'm really excited to read :exc:.

Exciting news Gaia! :D I thought you might find this interesting - it shows how A Memory of Light was physically made at the printers. :)

x

Thanks for the link, that's amazing to see :)

Oh, I downloaded the Kindle excerpt for that the other day. :D

x

Nice :D!