Poppy's Books

poppy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War Brides by Helen Bryan

I just love books set during the World Wars, particularly ones about everyday people dealing with the hardships and stresses they had to endure. Once I started reading this, I didn't want to stop. It's not the best written book and I felt the gap between WWII and the modern day could have been filled in more, but even so I thoroughly enjoyed it.  An enjoyable light read.

Edited by poppy

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore

Another book set during WWII and post-war. I didn't realise this was a ghost story when I chose it and it comes under Random House's new Hammer imprint. I didn't find it chilling as some reviews describe and it's definitely not horror but it does have an undercurrent of unease. I enjoyed this, it's quite short and I read it quickly. I'd read more by her.

• 4 weeks later...

The Last Kings of Sark by Rosa Rankin-Gee

This is a debut novel for this author and only published in November. The first half of the story is about three young people spending an idyllic summer on the Isle of Sark. The second half is when they grow up and at times cross paths. Rankin-Gee is only young herself and manages to capture the nostalgia of youth very well. Memories from this time can be so clear and stay with you forever, somehow shaping your perceptions and this novel reminded me very much of this. At times I thought she was trying a little hard in her descriptive language and I definitely enjoyed the first part best. The second half seemed to jump around and felt rather disjointed. But overall an enjoyable read.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has read this and what their impression was.

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore

Another book set during WWII and post-war. I didn't realise this was a ghost story when I chose it and it comes under Random House's new Hammer imprint. I didn't find it chilling as some reviews describe and it's definitely not horror but it does have an undercurrent of unease. I enjoyed this, it's quite short and I read it quickly. I'd read more by her.

Hi Poppy  :006: i've seen this book in quite a few charity shops but the fact that it's a ghost story put my off buying it, as an adult i just don't find that sort of thing scary anymore although i loved ghost stories when i was younger. I have read a couple of her books The Seige, which was really good & The House Of Orphans which i didn't rate but i have some of her other books on my TBR pile as i like her writng style  :smile:

• 1 month later...

Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

A sensitive and emotional book about a woman's escape to a remote Hebridean island. A story of betrayal, mental illness and creativity with the underlying message that we all have scars. Loved the poetry in this.

The Ocean At the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Another brilliant book by Gaiman. Highly imaginative and at times quite chilling. In the same vein as Coraline and The Graveyard Book, the main character is a brave, resourceful child and I think that's what appeals to me most. All these characters face and conquer their fears. Up there with my favourites of his.

The Saki Megapack : Collected Fiction of H.H. Munro. 140 Classic Novels and Short Stories

This is my first experience of Saki and I wonder how it's taken me so long to discover him!! He's a very funny, clever writer, much like P.G. Wodehouse (whose writing I understand was influenced by Saki). My reading of this is on-going, I delve into a short story here and there in-between novels. A special treat :)

• 1 month later...

Been a bit out of action lately due to an accident so I wanted something light and funny that I could just pick up and put down when I felt like it. Downloaded the complete Mapp and Lucia books by E.F.Benson on my Kindle for 99cents. They were perfect. Written in the 1920's and 30's about two snobbish rival leading ladies of a small English town, these are funny and witty. Full of wonderful eccentric characters, there are six books ....wish there were more.

Yay! :smile2:  I'm so glad you enjoyed the Mapp and Lucia books, poppy.  And to read all six … I love that Benson changed the setting to bring in a new batch of characters and a breath of fresh air to the series part way through.  I've read another of his books, but it didn't quite do it for me, as it was more dramatic yet still with some humour, but it didn't quite hit the mark.  He was a prolific writer (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/e-f-benson/) so I may search out some more to try in the future. :)

Yay! :smile2:  I'm so glad you enjoyed the Mapp and Lucia books, poppy.  And to read all six … I love that Benson changed the setting to bring in a new batch of characters and a breath of fresh air to the series part way through.  I've read another of his books, but it didn't quite do it for me, as it was more dramatic yet still with some humour, but it didn't quite hit the mark.  He was a prolific writer (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/e-f-benson/) so I may search out some more to try in the future. :)

I saw that he'd written a lot of ghost stories and last night I started to listen to Dodo Wonders on LibriVox, but it just wasn't the same. I see a couple of other authors have written sequels to the Mapp and Lucia series, am a bit tempted to see what they're like. One is Lucia in Wartime by Tom Holt. Reviews are rather mixed but still.....I'm not ready to let them all go yet :D

I'm tempted by some of the other sequels too.  I have to say though, that the originals stand up to re-reading, and I found them just as enjoyable second time around as I did the first, so you never have to let them go! :D  I think I'll have a full re-read on holiday later on in the year. :smile2:

An accident? I don't mean to pry, but I hope things are okay with you :empathy:  Mapp and Lucia sounded like a familiar title, and I had the feeling chesilbeach was the one who made me add the book to my wishlist... And lo and behold, she's come on here to comment on the books :D I'd actually rather forgotten what the book is about, so I was happy to read you two's conversation and refresh my memory :blush: 

An accident? I don't mean to pry, but I hope things are okay with you :empathy:

Awwww.... thanks Frankie. I fell through our veranda roof when I was cleaning out some guttering and managed to concuss myself and break my pelvis. Was all rather dramatic with a flight to hospital in a rescue helicopter (which I'm VERY annoyed that I don't remember because I've always wanted to fly in one!! :roll: ) but that was about seven weeks ago now and I'm slowly getting back to normal :)

Awwww.... thanks Frankie. I fell through our veranda roof when I was cleaning out some guttering and managed to concuss myself and break my pelvis. Was all rather dramatic with a flight to hospital in a rescue helicopter (which I'm VERY annoyed that I don't remember because I've always wanted to fly in one!! :roll: ) but that was about seven weeks ago now and I'm slowly getting back to normal :)

Ouch, that sounds horrible! :( I'm happy to hear you are much better now though, phew! Very sad about the helicopter, I wish they'd given you a ride home, too, so you would've been able to enjoy it :D

Very sad about the helicopter, I wish they'd given you a ride home, too, so you would've been able to enjoy it :D

I hope you manage to get a more enjoyable flight on a helicopter at some point!

Thanks guys :D You're so right Frankie!! I think I would have been perfectly within my rights to insist on being flown home since the inward trip was a complete blank. Sheesh...... downright mean I call it!!  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West

Ok but not memorable.

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Lovely book, wish I'd read it as a child.

Mr Pip by Lloyd Jones

Amazing book. Set against the civil war in Bougainville during the 1990's. Beautifully written and intensely moving, I recommend this one highly.