Poppy's Books

poppy

A Game of Thrones is on my TBR list, I've had it for several years and saw most of season one of the TV series on TV, thought it would be a good idea to finally start reading it! The downside though is that the series as a whole is not finished yet and I don't want to read too many unfinished series in one go (things may get confusing). I'll have finished the Wheel of Time series in a while though (one book left to read, waiting for paperback release) so maybe then :).

I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying it! I think I'll enjoy it too, I mean, a lot of people are very positive about it so hopefully I'll enjoy it too when I get around to reading it. I hope you can find some more time to read soon, it's not nice to make slow progress (well imo).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poppy - Glad you're enjoying it. I think I'll try and get myself a copy sometime this year.

As to what Athena has mentioned, did you know the series is incomplete?

Do you know if it is incomplete as The Lord Of The Rings would have been if it had stopped at The Two Towers?

Or does it end in a more complete way and the new books would just add-on and take things forward?

A Game of Thrones is on my TBR list, I've had it for several years and saw most of season one of the TV series on TV, thought it would be a good idea to finally start reading it! The downside though is that the series as a whole is not finished yet and I don't want to read too many unfinished series in one go (things may get confusing). :).

poppy - Glad you're enjoying it. I think I'll try and get myself a copy sometime this year.

As to what Athena has mentioned, did you know the series is incomplete?

Do you know if it is incomplete as The Lord Of The Rings would have been if it had stopped at The Two Towers?

Or does it end in a more complete way and the new books would just add-on and take things forward?

No, I didn't know the series was incomplete and I agree it's frustrating having to wait a long time for the next book. My problem is that if i wait too long, I've completely forgotten what happened before. Mind you, the rate I'm reading at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if George RR Martin had finished the whole series and started another one, by the time I finish these ones!! :rolleyes:

No, I didn't know the series was incomplete and I agree it's frustrating having to wait a long time for the next book. My problem is that if i wait too long, I've completely forgotten what happened before. Mind you, the rate I'm reading at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if George RR Martin had finished the whole series and started another one, by the time I finish these ones!! :rolleyes:

The series is up to book 5 at this point. I surely don't know how much further he will take it as I am only 56% thru book 2.

• 1 month later...

I've FINALLY finished George RR Martin's Game of Thrones, the first book in his A Song of Ice and Fire series. The length of time it took me to read this in no way reflects on the book's merit. It was absolutely excellent, I highly recommend it. He writes the most wonderful characters, each chapter deals with one of them, and slowly they are all drawn together into one interwoven story. He is a master at unexpected twists and turns in the plot, you're left stunned at some of the events and revelations.

At times I found the cruelty and violence very real and graphic, so this may be a bit much for the more tender-hearted.

These are long books and I'm going to have a break before the next one, but I will definitely be reading more. I want to watch the first TV series now, I've been waiting to finish the book, it will be interesting to see if the characters are how I've imagined them.

Edited by poppy

Glad to hear you enjoyed the book! I plan to read it soon. I hope the violence won't be too bad, I cringe during some scenes of the TV series (generally it's easier for me though to read the book, I can handle it better).

Glad to hear you enjoyed the book! I plan to read it soon. I hope the violence won't be too bad, I cringe during some scenes of the TV series (generally it's easier for me though to read the book, I can handle it better).

I'm the same Athena, I shut my eyes when things get too gruesome. But I handled the books OK, so you should be alright too. You could always skip the more brutal passages. If you do read it, let me know what you think. He really is a very good writer.

I'm currently reading this book too. Only 50 or so pages in, and I have noticed a few differences between the book and first season.

I definitely recommend reading before watching.

I'm currently reading this book too. Only 50 or so pages in, and I have noticed a few differences between the book and first season.

I definitely recommend reading before watching.

I made myself finish the book before I'm allowed to watch the first series, so will be interesting to see what changes they've made.

• 5 weeks later...

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Wonderful enchanting book. The story of Bod, a homeless orphan, brought up by the ghosts in a graveyard, when the rest of his family are murdered. Neil Gaiman at his best, can't recommend this enough.

Edited by poppy

• 2 months later...

My reading has been abysmally slow of late, but finally finished Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This is a highly imaginative story and I enjoyed it. At times, particularly towards the end, I found it a little far-fetched but a book I'm sure would be particularly enjoyed by older children.

Edited by poppy

My reading has been abysmally slow of late, but finally finished Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This is a highly imaginative story and I enjoyed it. At times, particularly towards the end, I found it a little far-fetched but a book I'm sure would be particularly enjoyed by older children.

Oh, I loved Miss Peregrine's!  The sequel is coming out, I think next January.  I stayed on the fence quite a while before reading it, but finally caved.  Glad you enjoyed it poppy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A Lady Cyclist's Guide To Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson.

I really didn't want to finish this book, I was enjoying it so much.  The fictional story to two women, from two different times, whose lives seem quite disparate to begin with, but whose stories slowly and unexpectedly become interwoven. Joinson writes very perceptively and quite beautifully. This one gets three stars from me.

• 4 weeks later...

PG Wodehouse. A Portrait of a Master by David A Jasen.

At times this seemed to just be a list of Wodehouse's extensive works (I didn't realise he wrote so many musicals and plays as well as all his books), but at other times Jasen made some very witty observations.

Commenting on the birth of Plum's second grandchild, he writes 'And Plum, perhaps inured by now to the general appearance of newly minted offspring and their aptitude to look like old Chinese gangsters, neglected to make a pithy comment.' I thought that was worthy of Wodehouse himself (or Plum as he was known to everyone).

But what came through strongly, was that PG was a thoroughly nice person, very generous, extremely hard working, with not a nasty bone in his body.  He got some very bad press during WW2 when he made a series of radio talks from a German POW camp where he was incarcerated. Although probably a misguided decision, to be accused of being a traitor did him a huge injustice. A fellow writer Denis Mackail defended him saying, 'But the war couldn't go on without hatred, and Plum hated no one. That was his crime.'

For any Wodehouse fans who would like more insight into this amazingly prolific and very funny author, this is probably the definitive book.

Edited by poppy

The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year by Sue Townsend

This is the first book I've read by this author. A fairly light, easy read, funny and satirical. The ending made a strong point. Townsend writes well and I would read more of her books.

The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year by Sue Townsend

This is the first book I've read by this author. A fairly light, easy read, funny and satirical. The ending made a strong point. Townsend writes well and I would read more of her books.

Read Queen Camilla, Poppy, if you haven'r already! Another great Sue Townsend book.

PG Wodehouse. A Portrait of a Master by David A Jasen.

At times this seemed to just be a list of Wodehouse's extensive works (I didn't realise he wrote so many musicals and plays as well as all his books), but at other times Jasen made some very witty observations.

Commenting on the birth of Plum's second grandchild, he writes 'And Plum, perhaps inured by now to the general appearance of newly minted offspring and their aptitude to look like old Chinese gangsters, neglected to make a pithy comment.' I thought that was worthy of Wodehouse himself (or Plum as he was known to everyone).

But what came through strongly, was that PG was a thoroughly nice person, very generous, extremely hard working, with not a nasty bone in his body.  He got some very bad press during WW2 when he made a series of radio talks from a German POW camp where he was incarcerated. Although probably a misguided decision, to be accused of being a traitor did him a huge injustice. A fellow writer Denis Mackail defended him saying, 'But the war couldn't go on without hatred, and Plum hated no one. That was his crime.'

For any Wodehouse fans who would like more insight into this amazingly prolific and very funny author, this is probably the definitive book.

Yes, mud stuck to his name for a long time because of this, he was no traitor, a really nice person. However the same cannot be said for his forceful and rather unpleasant American wife.I love his books, he was a very good writer of gentle mildy satirical stories of upper-class English life.

Read Queen Camilla, Poppy, if you haven'r already! Another great Sue Townsend book.

Thanks GG, I'll add that to my BTR :friends3:

Yes, mud stuck to his name for a long time because of this, he was no traitor, a really nice person. However the same cannot be said for his forceful and rather unpleasant American wife.I love his books, he was a very good writer of gentle mildy satirical stories of upper-class English life.

As far as I can gather she was English, but they spent a lot of time in America and she certainly liked a very social life. This book doesn't make her out as unpleasant, but it wasn't really one of those tell-all type books. One thing I thought was rather funny was that she redecorated this very fancy library type room for Plum to write in. He commended her on her taste, then picked up his old beloved typewriter along with a small table and took them up to a little room upstairs, and proceeded to do all his writing from there. Also when she was throwing another one of her parties, Plum couldn't wait to sneak away to write or go for a walk. But it sounded like they got on together very well. She was very good at finding accommodation for them and organising everything, they were quite nomadic.

I love his books too GG, they are amongst my favourites :)

• 1 month later...

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.

Harold sets out one morning to post a letter to a dying friend and decides to walk the length of England to visit her. He meets many interesting characters on the way and has time to reflect on his life. Really enjoyed this, a poignant and sensitively written book.

Edited by poppy

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.

Harold sets out one morning to post a letter to a dying friend and decides to walk the length of England to visit her. He meets many interesting characters on the way and has time to reflect on his life. Really enjoyed this, a poignant and sensitively written book.

Glad you enjoyed this poppy I thought it was good overall for a first novel even though a couple of plot weakneses let it down a little.