Poppy's Books

poppy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

I was expecting this to be a gentle little tale about an elderly man meeting some new people and having a few simple adventures in his twilight years. For some reason I thought it would be set in England.

WRONG!! First of all, it's mostly set in Sweden but also travels all around the world. There are a couple of murders, explosives, nuclear bombs, an elephant, Presidents and Prime Ministers and lots of vodka.

It's a wonderfully funny book with most likeable characters. Loved it.

Edited by poppy

Yay! And here I thought I should browbeat you like I did for last year's thread.

(And my books arrived today :D )

The 100-year old man sounds wonderful - I've been seeing him pop around all over the forum!

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

I was expecting this to be a gentle little tale about an elderly man meeting some new people and having a few simple adventures in his twilight years. For some reason I thought it would be set in England.

WRONG!! First of all, it's mostly set in Sweden but also travels all around the world. There are a couple of murders, explosives, nuclear bombs, an elephant, Presidents and Prime Ministers and lots of vodka.

It's a wonderfully funny book with most likeable characters. Loved it.

Oh yes, it's a whole lot more than a gentle little tale... :D I'm really happy you enjoyed the novel!

And have a very happy reading year in 2013, poppy! :)

Hi poppy and everyone-thought I'd throw in my two cents from across the pond about the 100 year old man... I read it towards the end of last year and I thought it was very well written , quite clever and a lot of fun to read

A Series of Unfortunate Events (The Bad Beginning) by Lemony Snickett

This is definitely a children's book and one I'm sure they would enjoy. My niece read the whole series when she was younger and loved them. The book is funny, and the children very likable characters (I particularly liked Sunny, the baby, who bites everything and speaks in unintelligible single words). But I don't think I could take too much more of the continual unfortunate mishaps that plague the Beaudelaire children. Think I'll leave it at that :D

Edited by poppy

I've read all thirteen(!) books in the series, and although I did enjoy them to start with - I personally didn't think they were depressing - but I have to admit, by the tenth book, I'd sort of had enough and they were too samey. I was determined to get to the last book though, just to find out if it was a happy or even sadder ending! :lol:

I've read all thirteen(!) books in the series, and although I did enjoy them to start with - I personally didn't think they were depressing - but I have to admit, by the tenth book, I'd sort of had enough and they were too samey. I was determined to get to the last book though, just to find out if it was a happy or even sadder ending! :lol:

Oh man, and you know that now, don't you! And I don't know if I want to know, in case I want to read the books. But there are 13 books to the series, do I really want to read that far? Oh I wish I hadn't read that post of yours, chesil :D Ahahah!

I could be gone a while. I'm reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. My son gave it to me for Christmas, he really loves the books and very much wants me to read them. It's over 600 pages long and has a lot of characters so I hope I don't get totally confused. But the chapters are named by the characters each one deals with, so that should help. I've read the prologue and it promises to be both scary and exciting.

Is that the 4 pack? I have that, and have been thinking I really should get onto them.

This is just the first one Pontalba. It looks like it's going to be a great saga but I just wish some fantasy writers didn't feel the need to use so many strange and hard to pronounce names. It's most confusing :blink:

Edited by poppy

• 1 month later...

I'm REALLY enjoying it bree, it's got me hooked. But I'm making slow progress, due to my lack of reading lately and I'm only about half way through. George RR Martin writes very good characters, you love them or hate them, but you really feel you know them.