Inver's Reading List 2013

Inver

My Reading List 2013 :readingtwo:

My wish, again, for this year is to increase the number of books read. I am sure I could have read more last year, but I did actually manage to add a few more than previous years, so I am heading in the right direction. I aimed for a total of 30 last year but didn't quite make it. I do hope to do that this year and any more than that would be a bonus.

List from 2012 (27)
List from 2011 (22)
List from 2010 (20)
List from 2009 (24)
Lists from 2005-2008

Reading at the moment :readingtwo:

'A Perfectly Good Man' by Patrick Gale

Read

January
'My Dear, I wanted to tell you' by Louisa Young
'The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

February

'Me Before You' by JoJo Moyes

'Home Front' by Kristin Hannah

'The Hunger Games by Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins(started)

March

'The Hunger Games by Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins(finished)

'The Story of Us' by Marcia Preston

April

'The Memory Stones' by Kate O'Riordan

'The Postmistress' by Sarah Blake (started)

May

'The Postmistress' by Sarah Blake (finished)

'The Abortionist's Daughter' by Elizabeth Hyde

'The Glass Guardian' by Linda Gillard

June

'The Lollipop Shoes' by Joanne Harris

'Body Surfing' by Anita Shreve

July

'Until You're Mine' by Samantha Hayes (recommend)

'Return to the Olive Farm' by Carol Drinkwater (started)

August

'Return to the Olive Farm' by Carol Drinkwater

'The Returned' by Jason Mott

September

'Hidden Talents' by Erica James

October

'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult

'Left Neglected' by Lisa Genova

November

'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters

December

'Christmas in Seattle' by Debbie Macomber

Edited by Inver

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookrings/rays from Bookcrossing or BCF members :readingtwo:

'My Dear, I wanted to tell you' by Louisa Young (Bookcrossing bookring)

'Variation on a Theme' by Barbara Delinsky (Bookcrossing bookray, but didn't finish)

'The Returned' by Jason Mott (RABCK from a bookcrosser)

'Left Neglected' by Lisa Genova (passed on by a local bookcrosser)

Edited by Inver

Wishlist/To Buy

'A Place of Secrets' by Rachel Hore
'Gone with the Wind' by Margaret Mitchell (maybe a classic I should try)
'The Winter House' by Nicci Gerrard (Esiotrot recommends)
'Goodnight, Beautiful' by Dorothy Koomson (Katie recommends)

'Peaches for Monsieur le Curé ' by Joanne Harris
'The Time Keeper' by Mitch Albom (granted for Christmas)

'Night Road' by Kristin Hannah (another chaliepud recommends)

'The Language of Flowers' by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (carm recommends)

Edited by Inver

TBR List :readingtwo:

I will be adding to this when I get around to choosing the books from my shelves that I really want to try and read this year.

'Someone Else's Son' ~ Sam Hayes (b/f from 2012)

'The Shoemaker's Wife' by Adriana Trigiani (good review via Goodread and copy sent via Bookcrossing)

Edited by Inver

New Authors/Books bought or borrowed

New Author = *
Books Bought/borrowed = #

Read = @

'Gold' by Chris Cleave #
'My Dear, I wanted to tell you' by Louisa Young *@
'The Midwife's Confession' by Diane Chamberlain *@

'Me Before You' by JoJo Moyes (book from my 2012 Santa list)*#@

'Home Front' by Kristen Hannah (sent to me by chaliepud as recommended TBR)*@

'The Memory Stones' by Kate O'Riordan *@

'The Postmistress' by Sarah Blake *#@

'Lone Wolf' by Jodi Picoult #

'Rough Music' by Patrick Gale #

'16 Lighthouse Road' by Debbie Macomber #

'The Girl Who Couldn't Smile' by Shane Dunphy*#

'The Bay at Midnight' by Diane Chamberlain #

'The Kashmir Shawl' by Rosie Thomas #

'Constance' by Rosie Thomas #

'House Rules' by Jodi Picoult #

'The Distance Between Us' by Maggie O'Farrell #

'The String Diaries' by Stephen Lloyd Jones(won via a free giveaway) #

'Until You're Mine' by Samantha Hayes (won via free giveaway via Goodreads #*@

'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters *@

Edited by Inver

Happy reading in 2013 Diane!

'Me Before You' ~ JoJo Moyes (book from my 2012 Santa list)

'The Midwife's Confession ~ Diane Chamberlain

These were two of my favourite reads from last year, My Mum recommended Diane Chamberlain to me and I was pleasantly surprised, I thought she would be a bit Jodi Piccoult but I felt the writing was a lot more accomplished and have since read The Good Father and added two more to my TBR shelf.. :smile:

Happy reading in 2013 Diane!

'Me Before You' ~ JoJo Moyes (book from my 2012 Santa list)

'The Midwife's Confession ~ Diane Chamberlain

These were two of my favourite reads from last year, My Mum recommended Diane Chamberlain to me and I was pleasantly surprised, I thought she would be a bit Jodi Piccoult but I felt the writing was a lot more accomplished and have since read The Good Father and added two more to my TBR shelf.. :smile:

That is good to know. I really must read these on the TBR pile before others. I was a bit naughty last year and looked them out, put them on the list and then when it came to read them, looked for something else.... :giggle: so easy to do.

That is good to know. I really must read these on the TBR pile before others. I was a bit naughty last year and looked them out, put them on the list and then when it came to read them, looked for something else.... :giggle: so easy to do.

Been there done that! Definitely read Me Before You first and don't be fooled by the cover, it's so much more than it suggests. :)

Happy reading!

I loved The Midwife's Confession! It's one of my favourite books (well, I've got 50 or so favourites XD). I hope you will like it too. There are several more books on your list that I own but haven't read yet, so I can't tell you if I like them or not (I probably will though). I look forward to hear/read how your year of reading progresses in 2013.

'My Dear, I wanted to tell you' by Louisa Young

'The lives of two very different couples are irrevocably intertwined and forever changed in this stunning World War I epic of love and war. August 1917, a letter, two lovers, a terrible lie. In war truth is only the first casualty......'

Well for my first full read of the year it was a good one. Riley and Nadine are brought together at an early age, and he then signs up for war....will she see him again. The promise each other they will, but he is wounded, badly but word gets back to her he isn't. Their lives are intertwined with another family through Riley and his CO Major Locke, his wife and cousin and the hospital when he is sent back to England. It goes between Ypres, Paris and London, but can love hold them together.

Well....what can I say. After a slow start with this book and getting used to the way it was written, I loved it. It took a wee while to get to know all the characters, but then it took off, once the scene was set. First World War is always a difficult subject to write about without it being a bit gruesome given the subject matter, but all the characters have their own tale to tell and how they deal with the harshness and heartbreaks of it all. Riley being promoted and not knowing why, I had to feel for him stuck in the middle of good and bad.

I thought this book had been well researched and can imagine it being a bit overwhelming at times for the author while going through hospital procedures etc during WW1 era. but it was dealt with in a very detailed and sensitive manner, as it had to be within those chapters. Some descriptions were gruesome, but war and its wounded were.

I have to say Chapter 25 was the most touching for me, but I won't say to much why, you will maybe understand when you have read it. Let's just say Riley has to come to some sort of acceptance of his wounds and this is done through the eyes of a child, and yes I did shed a tear.

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'The Midwife's Confession' by Diane Chamberlain

Dear Anna, What I have to tell you is difficult to write, but I know it will be far more difficult for you to hear, and I'm so sorry..."

The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind their close friend Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle--her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her friends and family--described a woman who "embraced" life.

Yet there was so much they "didn't" know.

Well I can honestly say this is definitely a new author to add to my list and I thank Ceri(welshy)for being kind enough to send me her copy. All the recommendations I have had for this read came into their own. I already have a bookie friend who noticed I was reading it wanting to read it.

What a brilliant read. Thoroughly drawn in from the first chapter. Lots of characters and it took me a wee while to remember who was who and their relationship and getting used to each chapter being written by one character.

Who would have thought that one letter could lead to so much intrigue and twists and turns. It was a page turner. I loved how the main character was telling her story through the past and her friends had to come to terms with and solve the mystery of what had made her do what she did. A story of close friendships, mothers, daughters, secrets, lies and a great storyline.....just my kind of read.

4/5

I'm really glad you enjoyed The Midwife's Confession Diane, i thought the twists were great! which of hers will you try next? Did you see my comment on Goodreads where I recommended Kristin Hannah's books? A friend is borrowing Home Front at the moment but I'd be very happy to send it to you after if you'd like to try it? :)

• 2 weeks later...

'Me Before You' by JoJo Moyes

After a lot of recommendations and good reviews about this book I read it. Yes it was a good read and I did finish it quite quickly.

I'm not one for overly romantic reads so given the description on the cover I wondered if this would be a bit 'chic lit' but it wasn't.

Lou has her life set out, a boyfriend, a not well paid job and lives at home. Will, the guy who has it all, job, money and life in the fast lane. Then both their lives change when Lou goes for an interview and is given a 6mth job as carer for Will, who is a quadriplegic after a bad accident. The relationship that develops between Lou and Will from their initial meeting of not liking each other very much, turned in to one that grew slowly and with time, dependant on each other. Will, in needing Lou as his carer and Lou in her need to make him see the brighter and more positive side of the way he was living, although being confined to a life of being wheelchair bound made it very difficult. Over time though their relationship opens up you and Lou sets out to make Will want more out of the life he has had to accept. She hopes she can change his mind about the future.

It is a also about two families who are thrown together and how the deal with what happens. You so want it to turn out for the best, but there is a twist along the way that I wasn't expecting.

The subject matter is a controversial one but is dealt with in a touching and sensitive manner. JoJo Moyes has created likeable and real characters. It made me wonder how many actual people are living within the confines of this type of lifestyle, and feeling totally helpless in how they live and wanting to change things, but not always for the better or to everyones liking.

I felt sad at the end, but not overwhelming upset as I thought I would be and in a sense there was a kind of calmness in its conclusion.

3.5/5