Inver's Reading List 2013

Inver

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Until You're Mine' by Samantha Hayes

Having won as a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Winner I looked forward to reading this one reasonably quickly and I did. Recommended by Michelle. This is not my usual genre for reading as I don't usually read thrillers, but WOW, glad I read this one.

Claudia heavily pregnant with her much wanted child and Zoe who is hired to help look after her step twin boys and help out when the baby arrives. Lorraine and Adam, the two detectives pursuing the vicious attacks on pregnant women, but who also have their family problems at home.

This was a compelling, page turner and addictive read. Samantha has filled this book with great characters and plots that it is impossible to know 'who did it' right up until the last chapter. I thought I had the suspects correct in my mind but whoosh, the twisty ending proved me wrong. I was gob smacked when I finally found out who it was and I actually said 'oh my god' out loud when I read the last sentence of the book! Very well written Samantha Hayes...another author to add to my list.

I think this is my best read of 2013 so far.

5/5

Edited by Inver

Wow, that must be a pretty great book, you having rated it so highly and saying it's your best read this year so far, especially when it's not your favorite genre! :) Shall be adding this to wishlist, thanks Diane! :)

(Why is the name Samantha Hayes so familiar... is she possibly a member on here...? :shrug:)

• 3 weeks later...

'Return to the Olive Farm' by Carol Drinkwater

Another wonderful read from Carol. Full of the passion and love for her beloved 'Apassionata' and how perfect she wants it to be, like all of her other books in this series.

In an ideal world organic olive tree farming would be the way, but this has its ups and a lot of downs, but Carol shows us the way with her grit determination to find out more. Not all agree with the way forward but decisions have to be made for the best of The Olive Farm, despite all the negatives from 'Quashia' their faithful (but now having doubts) friend and worker. I'm so glad they got bees back to their gardens and surrounding land.

I feel like I have been on the journey with her. Thank you Carol for this exotic journey into Provence. Your descriptive writing and passion for the makes me feel like I visited there and sipped a glass of wine or two with you.

4/5

I've enjoyed all the Carol Drinkwater 'Olive Farm' books I've read too, Diane.  I've read the first four, and have The Olive Tree and Return to the Olive Farm to get at some point.  Think I might save them for the winter months to give me a bit of sunshine in my reading! :D

I have the Olive Route to read, for some reason I missed out reading it, as I have read them all in order. The illustrated book of it all is lovely to and really brings the books to life.

Edited by Inver

• 2 weeks later...

'The Returned' by Jason Mott

Well, I'm really not sure what I think of this book. Is it the same as the recent TV series or not. I didn't watch it so can't comment.

'The Returned', your loved ones who have passed on but come back. An interesting thought that makes you wonder what it would be like to have them back for just one more time to love them and speak to them. They do return the same age as they were when they departed, be it young or old.

Part of it I didn't like, how nobody knew exactly what to do with them and how they were treated.

I did like the Epilogue, when Harold finds a way to come to terms with his loss through his beloved Lucille....that did strike a chord with me.

3/5

• 4 weeks later...

'Hidden Talents' by Erica James

Not an overly taxing read, but enjoyable enough. A group of people are brought together when they join a local writing group 'Hidden Talents' Beth, Jack, Jaz, Victor and Dulcie. All have their own need to be there. The usual everyday life stories and in different ways help each other through problems they are all faced with.

All the characters linked together well and it had a tidy ending.

3/5

'The Returned' by Jason Mott

Well, I'm really not sure what I think of this book. Is it the same as the recent TV series or not. I didn't watch it so can't comment.

'The Returned', your loved ones who have passed on but come back. An interesting thought that makes you wonder what it would be like to have them back for just one more time to love them and speak to them. They do return the same age as they were when they departed, be it young or old.

Part of it I didn't like, how nobody knew exactly what to do with them and how they were treated.

I did like the Epilogue, when Harold finds a way to come to terms with his loss through his beloved Lucille....that did strike a chord with me.

3/5

Diane

I saw this one at the library and almost got it. It sounded like a neat idea for a book anyhow . I thought I read someplace that the TV rights have actually been purchased for it and it'll be a tv show . Might be an interesting idea if it's done properly .

'Hidden Talents' by Erica James

Not an overly taxing read, but enjoyable enough. A group of people are brought together when they join a local writing group 'Hidden Talents' Beth, Jack, Jaz, Victor and Dulcie. All have their own need to be there. The usual everyday life stories and in different ways help each other through problems they are all faced with.

All the characters linked together well and it had a tidy ending.

3/5

x

I have this on my shelf, and even had it on my TBR-soon at some point but then decided not to read it. It sounds like a nice read, I should read it sometime. I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

• 3 weeks later...

'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult

As always a bit of a controversial subject matter, this time suicide. Emily and Chris have grown up together from day one and no each other inside out. A call at midnight to say Emily is dead from a gunshot wound throws the families of the two teenagers into turmoil. Did Chris have part in the suicide, did it go wrong....all the fingers point to him as possible murderer, but why would he do it?

Filled with great characters and a must read to the end to find out the conclusion. I had my own doubts/theory about how it would conclude and sometimes it twisted the other way. It did make me think about how well do you know your own kids!

4/5

'Left Neglected' by Lisa Genova

Having read 'Still Alice' I looked forward to reading another from this author. I wasn't disappointed but I preferred 'Still Alice'.

The title is very clever' Left Neglected', which I had know idea was going to be part of a medical condition.

At the start I have to say I did actually find Sarah, the main character a bit annoying. I found I was reading the book at the pace she was living! Was this a clever way of getting us quickly into the storyline. Sarah lives life at a fast pace, constantly putting work first although loves her family, but one day while driving she looks away to her phone, has an accident and her life will change dramatically. Everyone's lives have to change while she comes to terms with 'Left Neglect' she is now diagnosed with having. Having to live with only being able to see things on her right side takes its toll, but with the support of her husband and her mother, slowly adapts. I liked how Charlie, her son, in his own way helps her with her rehab. Her relationship with her mother hasn't always been a good one, but through time she has to accept she is here to help her. I'm glad she found peace with her mother over past family issues

but sad her mother died.

Some of the chapters were a bit samey, but there again rehab is obviously like that. Given time though she has to accept that her old lifestyle was never going to materialise to 100%, and her lifes priorities need to be put in check and decisions for what is best for her, husband and the children need to be made.

All in all, likeable characters and another good story and insight into a medical condition I knew nothing about. I must now try and get a copy of 'Love Anthony'.

3.5/5

Edited by Inver

I haven't read it yet, I do own it though (it's on the TBR). I bought it some years ago, it wasn't until after I got home with Left Neglected that I realised they were both by the same author :blush:.

Edited by Athena

'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult

As always a bit of a controversial subject matter, this time suicide. Emily and Chris have grown up together from day one and no each other inside out. A call at midnight to say Emily is dead from a gunshot wound throws the families of the two teenagers into turmoil. Did Chris have part in the suicide, did it go wrong....all the fingers point to him as possible murderer, but why would he do it?

Filled with great characters and a must read to the end to find out the conclusion. I had my own doubts/theory about how it would conclude and sometimes it twisted the other way. It did make me think about how well do you know your own kids!

4/5

I'm really glad you enjoyed this! And like you said, can we ever really know our kids, through and through. It's a kind of spooky idea...

'Left Neglected' by Lisa Genova

Having read 'Still Alice' I looked forward to reading another from this author. I wasn't disappointed but I preferred 'Still Alice'.

The title is very clever' Left Neglected', which I had know idea was going to be part of a medical condition.

At the start I have to say I did actually find Sarah, the main character a bit annoying. I found I was reading the book at the pace she was living! Was this a clever way of getting us quickly into the storyline. Sarah lives life at a fast pace, constantly putting work first although loves her family, but one day while driving she looks away to her phone, has an accident and her life will change dramatically. Everyone's lives have to change while she comes to terms with 'Left Neglect' she is now diagnosed with having. Having to live with only being able to see things on her right side takes its toll, but with the support of her husband and her mother, slowly adapts. I liked how Charlie, her son, in his own way helps her with her rehab. Her relationship with her mother hasn't always been a good one, but through time she has to accept she is here to help her. I'm glad she found peace with her mother over past family issues

but sad her mother died.

Some of the chapters were a bit samey, but there again rehab is obviously like that. Given time though she has to accept that her old lifestyle was never going to materialise to 100%, and her lifes priorities need to be put in check and decisions for what is best for her, husband and the children need to be made.

All in all, likeable characters and another good story and insight into a medical condition I knew nothing about. I must now try and get a copy of 'Love Anthony'.

3.5/5

I'm happy you enjoyed this one as well, even though it wasn't on par with Still Alice. It's definitely a subject matter I know nothing about, so I'm looking forward to reading the book. Is Love Anthony another book by her? I'll google it now and see what it's about and quite possibly add it to my wishlist :D Thanks! :friends3:

• 1 month later...

'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters

It has taken me a while to read this one but I got there in the end. I wasn't sure what to make of it to be honest....a bit disappointing I think.

I haven't read any of Sarah Waters before so nothing to compare it to. I didn't dislike it, but found it a bit tedious to actually get to something 'spooky, chilling' happening.

It was very atmospheric, but I couldn't get out of my head that it should have been set a lot earlier than it actually was and imagined it in a totally different era, which at times confused me a bit.

However, having finished it I think have missed out on the 'twist' completely that others have said there was, as I closed the book and didn't say 'wow didn't see that coming'...!!

Read it to make up your own mind though.

3/5