Holiday Reads

Since it's fast approaching that time of year, I was wondering about books on holiday.

How do you decide what to take with you? Is it dictated by the kind of holiday you're having? How many do you take? (Kell, I dread to think what your luggage must be like! :sleeping-smiley-009)

Also, what books are you taking / have taken / would like to read on holiday this year? :lol:

I'm off to North Devon soon for some serious reading and relaxing for a couple of weeks, so I've worked out I'll probably read at least 5 or 6 books. Therefore, I'm taking 8 :tong:

So far, I'm thinking of:

Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

...and I'm torn between The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot or To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

I'm not a huge holidayer, but when I do go somewhere there usually isn't much time spare for reading. :sleeping-smiley-009

However, both times I came over to the UK for a month holiday, I took one large book with me, mainly for the flight. The first time I took Peter Hamilton's Pandora's Star (which I'd started before leaving Australia, and was enjoying it, so I knew it would keep me busy); the second time I took Stephen King's IT, which was a re-read, but something I knew I'd enjoy.

I think I'd prefer to take one massive book - maybe even a re-read - rather than several small ones. :tong:

I'm not a huge holidayer, but when I do go somewhere there usually isn't much time spare for reading...

Ah y'see, my natural state is to be manic so I need holidays as an excuse to do absolutely nothing. Except read, of course.

I think I'd prefer to take one massive book - maybe even a re-read - rather than several small ones. :sleeping-smiley-009

That's interesting - I'd worry about not enjoying it and having no others to turn to!

I always seem to end up taking at least a couple that are based in hot countries! Obviously wishful thinking on my part...

That's interesting - I'd worry about not enjoying it and having no others to turn to!

That's why I took IT. It was a re-read, but I knew that I would enjoy it. I don't think I could take a random book; I'd have to have started reading it before setting off....just in case! :sleeping-smiley-009

I'm not going away until September. Its a beach holiday so perfect for reading. I think i'll take a couple of shortish books and maybe a thicker one. It'll have to be fairly light easy reading. And I have to have several options so if one book doesn't work out I have a fall back. (And less chance of running out of reading.) Otherwise I might have to buy holiday resort pulp fiction, eek.

I always take at least half a dozen books with me if I'm going for 1-2 wekks, so I have a choice depending on what mood I'm in when I get reading time and during travel (if I'm flying or taking a train). Of course, I usually buy a couple more at my destination too...

This year I'll be visiting friends in Swindon in August, so we'll be flying down to Luton. The majority of my week-of-luggage bag will most likely be given over to books. I don't yet know which ones they'll be, but I've decided to take a mixture comprising of the following:

A chunky book

A classic book

A modern classic book

A book by a foreign author

A book from the 1001 books to read before you die list

Of course, several of those might be covered by a single book, but you never know till you pick it up!

I like to take a couple of books a light easy read one and one I can get my teeth into. I also like to look in bookshops whilst I'm on holiday so may pick up others whilst there - I can't bear the thought of not having a book to read:)

I always take at least half a dozen books with me if I'm going for 1-2 wekks, so I have a choice depending on what mood I'm in when I get reading time and during travel...

Ah Kell, I knew I could rely on you - just when I was starting to feel a bit over-zelous about books on holiday! :sleeping-smiley-009

I usually make it an excuse to get to the more interesting books on my TBR pile

Yes, I do that too. I've been saving some up especially for this holiday!

I never really choose holiday books. I just take the current book, and the next two or three in the list, with me. Sometimes I will try and mix it up a bit. Last time because I thought I was going to be spending ages sitting around in campsites, I took War and Peace. But generally, whether I'm on holiday doesn't greatly change my reading habits unless I'm going to be spending loads of days on the train or at the beach, when I might take more, and chunkier, books.

Last week I took 4 books and read 3 - a combination of genres

When we go to Devon in August I will take a combination again - as long as they're suitable for the beach. As a rule I take a combination of library books and a couple from the TBR pile

Well, 2 weeks from today I will be lying on my sunbed (hopefully!) in Morocco listening to a book on my ipod :tong:

I'll be listening to either Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I'll probably listen to both of them while I'm there.

Carole

:sleeping-smiley-009

Last time I went on hols it was to Germany to see OHs kids. I knew full well I would finish my book, but only took the one. OH was sat in his ex-wife's house with me most of the day time and he read through a chunk of my LOTR. I remember finishing mine and wishing I'd taking the next book on my list. I really wanted to read it too.. I can't remember now which book I was reading by the way.

Despite having a fairly quiet holiday, I found I just couldn't get into my books. One problem was an odd shaped bath.. I just couldn't get comfortable with my book! LOL Anyway, I found myself flicking through some computer magazines aswell. :)

Last time I went on hols it was to Germany to see OHs kids. I knew full well I would finish my book, but only took the one. OH was sat in his ex-wife's house with me most of the day time and he read through a chunk of my LOTR. I remember finishing mine and wishing I'd taking the next book on my list.

LOTR's a good one for long holidays, as you've got lots of free time (hopefully) to immerse yourself in Middle Earth.

For my last overseas holiday (Australia) I read Shadow of the Wind which was perfect for long plane and train journeys. Utterly absorbing but not too much of a challenge.