Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

      The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Michelle

Kindle and ebooks deals

Recommended Posts

On 7/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, Raven said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a Kindle Deal of the day today, a bargain at 99p!

 

Ooh... that's a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is a compilation edition of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels, The Lady in the Lake, The High Window and The Little Sister in today's daily Kindle deal for 99p.  
 
An even better bargain than Tinker Tailor Solider Spy the other day, and well worth a read!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Raven said:
There is a compilation edition of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels, The Lady in the Lake, The High Window and The Little Sister in today's daily Kindle deal for 99p.  
 
An even better bargain than Tinker Tailor Solider Spy the other day, and well worth a read!

Wow that's a very good one! I have a feeling I read a Raymond Chandler book many years ago and couldn't really get into it. This seems like a good opportunity to give him another chance! 

 

Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver is also £.199 at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hayley said:

Wow that's a very good one! I have a feeling I read a Raymond Chandler book many years ago and couldn't really get into it. This seems like a good opportunity to give him another chance! 

 

The first book [The Big Sleep] is probably the best one to start with.  It has dated, being set in LA in the 40's, but it is still a good, strong story that is very well written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Raven said:

 

The first book [The Big Sleep] is probably the best one to start with.  It has dated, being set in LA in the 40's, but it is still a good, strong story that is very well written.

Aware this is a weird question, but does The Big Sleep involve a man having to dress up as a Nun? Because that's the only thing I can really remember about the book I'm thinking of and the name sounds familiar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hayley said:

Aware this is a weird question, but does The Big Sleep involve a man having to dress up as a Nun? Because that's the only thing I can really remember about the book I'm thinking of and the name sounds familiar...

 

You are right, that is a weird question! 

 

No, no cross-dressing in this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Raven said:

 

You are right, that is a weird question! 

 

No, no cross-dressing in this one. 

Ok, mystery not solved then! Worth a try :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indie crime publisher Fahrenheit is having a sale on ebooks, everything is 85p. You have to get them direct from their website rather than the kindle store: 

https://fahrenheit-press.myshopify.com/collections/kindle-ebooks

and the discount is automatically applied at checkout. 

 

I decided to try Burke’s Last Witness by CJ Dunford and Iteration by Liz Monument :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton is one of the kindle daily deals today for £1.19 (I remember someone on here saying it was really good but I can't remember who!)

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo is also one of the daily deals for 99p, another book I've heard really good things about :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed Six of Crows, though it's not a book for everyone. Would recommend if the synopsis appeals :). It's book 1 in a duology though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hayley said:

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton is one of the kindle daily deals today for £1.19 (I remember someone on here saying it was really good but I can't remember who!)

 

That may have been me? I listened to the audiobook, and thought it was very enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Athena said:

I enjoyed Six of Crows, though it's not a book for everyone. Would recommend if the synopsis appeals :). It's book 1 in a duology though!

I read the synopsis a while ago and wasn't sure. I liked the idea of the story in general but it sounded like it had a lot of main characters and I didn't know if that would make it a bit choppy or confusing. But I think it's worth trying for 99p! 

 

8 hours ago, bobblybear said:

 

That may have been me? I listened to the audiobook, and thought it was very enjoyable.

I think it was! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the Narnia novels are all 99p on Amazon (Kindle) today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gollancz have an ebook sale today for Gollancz Festival. There are quite a few 99p books (like The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris) and £1.99 books (including Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×