Kindle and ebooks deals

Michelle

Lots of children's books for 99p for half term.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I've read a few of those books and liked them. I can list them if anyone wants, but I don't think that many people here read children's books so I won't write a long post about it unless anyone wants me to (there's always my thread).

Great deals!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gilded Cage by Vic James is £1.19 today. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E5JN2WE/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_WhoxybA5F7VMQ

My review:

This is the start of a trilogy and I fell in love with the world. For me personally, I loved the world building from the author.. this alternative present-day England immediately felt real to me, and I dived straight in.

It tells of a world where there is a small ruling class, the Elite, but their power comes from the magic  they hold. All other citizens live normal lives, aside from the fact that they have to give up ten years to become slaves, many in heavy industry, some serving the Elite.

The Elite live in their own blinkered world, with their own power struggles, whilst the decade of slavery turns out to be worse than could be thought.

The other great thing is that the author doesn’t focus on just one of these groups, but she shows us the depths of both, with fascinating characters within both.

Abi makes a decision to try to keep her family together during their decade, by getting them all into the service of an Elite family – which she almost achieves. Both her and her younger sister find themselves wrapped with the families world, whilst her brother gets separated, and sent to a brutal factory town, where he starts to believe in revolution.

Meanwhile, the three brothers within the Elite family have their own stories, struggles and relationships, and they are more complex than you would expect.

This first book moves at a fast pace, and it certainly has plenty for both YA and older readers. It wraps up this particular story enough, whilst opening the way to the next volume. Thankfully the gaps between books is short, but also far too long, because I’m excited to get back into this amazing world!

Dark and Intriguing Historical Romance/Suspense - One Dark Night - 99p until January 3rd

To give you an idea of what it's like:-

“A great read! I love all the historical detail and I learnt much about smugglers. It's fast paced, and it really grips you until the end. The characters are very well portrayed. I was sorry to finish the book, always the sign of a good story.”  -  ‘Amazon Customer’ UK site.

It is 1821 and smuggling is rife on the English coast. Lucy doesn’t know who to trust, while those around her suspect she is a spy and treat her accordingly. Her problems increase when two men enter her life: 

Lieutenant Karl Thorsen, sworn to avenge his father’s murder, is determined to hang the violent smugglers.

Daniel Tynton has smuggling in his blood. When he witnesses a murder, he makes a tough decision, and many lives will never be the same.

99p until 3rd January or Free if you have Kindle Unlimited

Perhaps I should have put this on the writers' thread? I thought it might be a service to all book club members to know of a reduction. 

The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry is 99p today! :D

Oft, thanks for that Janet, have heard some great things. Sounds like it's definitely worth a purchase.

I nearly bought the hardback in Waterstones this morning, but we decided to go for a coffee first, so I looked it up on Amazon whilst we were in the coffee shop and couldn't believe my luck on the timing.  :)

Brilliant stroke of luck. Hope that's a sign for good things for you in 2017. :lol:

I missed out on this book for 99p but noticed it was on for £3 today.  This is still cheaper than I was going to pay for it over the weekend but decided against it as it was too expensive in book form.

The January Kindle monthly deals start today, and I spotted Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks is on sale for only £1.49.  Definitely one of the best books I read last year, and on the English Counties list if you're interested in taking part in the challenge and haven't read it yet. :)

Spotted quite a few other books that have been recommended by people on the forum, so well worth a look for a bargain! :D

I nearly bought the hardback in Waterstones this morning, but we decided to go for a coffee first, so I looked it up on Amazon whilst we were in the coffee shop and couldn't believe my luck on the timing.  :)

It's still 99p today, so I've just bought it as well! :lol:

The January Kindle monthly deals start today, and I spotted Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks is on sale for only £1.49.  Definitely one of the best books I read last year, and on the English Counties list if you're interested in taking part in the challenge and haven't read it yet. :)

I just finished Years of Wonders and enjoyed the first 87% of the book.

The Dancing Barber by AC Michael (historical fiction about Russia/Ukraine). Some great reviews and buzz about this book on onlinebookclub. I just downloaded it and it's free today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancing-Barber-Michael-AC-ebook/dp/B01LZV0OKR/ref=la_B01E8ZWS02_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483900606&sr=1-3

Another historic fiction/coming of age is my 2016 favorite London for Immigrant suckers; So long Yugoslavia (£0.99)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/London-immigrant-suckers-Kolya-S-ebook/dp/B01H0MD002

If you fancy a bit of romance, The Birds and bees by Milly Johnson (£0.99)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Bees-Milly-Johnson-ebook/dp/B002RI9G94/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

• 3 weeks later...

Reader, I Married Him Kindle version is on offer at £1.99 (should be £12.99) and since the paperback doesn't come out until April and have been waiting for either that or the Kindle book to come down in price, I couldn't resist!  It's a collection of short stories related or inspired by Jane Eyre.

• 3 weeks later...

Rachel Caine has started a new series called The Great Library. The first two books, Ink and Bone, and Paper and Fire are available on kindle (UK)  at 99p each. 

From Amazon, Rachel Caine rewrites history, creating a dangerous world where the Great Library of Alexandria has survived the test of time. In 48 AD, a fire set by the troops of Julius Caesar destroyed much of the Great Library of Alexandria. It was the first of several disasters that resulted in the destruction of the accumulated knowledge of the ancient world. But what if the fire had been stopped? What would the Library have become? 

I have read quite a bit by Rachel Caine, and find her good at description and pacing, and capturing the humanity in a scene. These look interesting.  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...