The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

Just popped in to say thank you to you frankie - for hosting the reading circle - and to all of you - I really enjoyed discussing it with you :friends3:

(And bobblybear, am glad you nominated this book, as I'm not sure I'd have picked it up otherwise)

You're welcome, Bree. I really enjoyed discussing it. :smile:

I've had a few off days, I've been at my parents etc, and can only now say that

Thank you everyone for joining in on reading the novel and discussing it on this thread, I've enjoyed the discussion enormously and it's been wonderful to read your thoughts, feelings and opinions about the book! Thank you very much everyone for contributing :flowers2:

It was a real pleasure! :smile2:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts & different opinions on the book & it was a great book to start the new year with so thanks to all i look forward to chatting with you all again next time i join in when i've got my TBR pile down a bit  :D

I wrote my thoughts as I was going along, and here they are:

Hmm, this book is the first book that's left me feeling so conflicted, I both liked and disliked this book.

I didn't feel anything for any particular character except for Donald, I felt I didn't get time to really get to know any of them as the chapters were so short. Now I can handle books that jump from character to character each chapter, in fact, most of the fantasy books I read do that a lot, but you do get around 20 pages or so to really get into them. I guess my main problem was that I'd finally get into the groove of one character only to be suddenly dropped into another chapter with another character a couple of pages later.I didn't like the fast chop and change of the story, and sometimes would get confused as to who I was reading about for the first two or so paragraphs.

Like many others, I thought the chapter where Donald died was the best part of the book, Donald was the only character I liked. It was rather well written, in fact, most of the book was. Penney writes descriptively well when it comes to the environment. 

I felt the book ended rather adruptly though, and left some questions unanswered. Like what happened to the letters Donald wrote to Maria, did she ever get them? Did Mrs Ross find out about Francis and Laurent? Was Mrs Ross's husband having an affair? I never quite knew if he was, or if it was just hinted at. What happened to Line and her kids? Why were they included? It felt like Penney cut their story short, and could of probably left them out altogether.

I didn't like Espen, I thought he was a bit of a coward for running off from his family, and I didn't like Line for blackmailing him into doing it.

In the end, I am unsure how I feel about the book as a whole, I'm not sure if I would ever read any of her stuff again.
Edited by Devi