karen.d's Reading List 2013

karen.d

Ugh Hugo is so long-winded isn't he? If I could go back and re-read Hugo for the first time I would definitely go abridged. His skill as an editor seem to be inverse to his skill as a writer! That said, he is worth persevering with - you just have to skip read the boring bits (and it's not all dull - just sections of it like the battle of waterloo bit)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bits that weren't long winded were extremely well written, but I felt frustrated that I had to wade through loads of description etc, to get to them. I just think that if this could have got to the point more, then I might have continued with it.

• 3 weeks later...

If only he'd had an editor...

Exxactly! It felt like he was just writing with no filter sometimes. I'm also finding 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mnatel a bit difficult to read, due to the writing.

I'm enjoying Wolf Hall, but have to say I'm finding it a bit confusing too.  I keep having to re-read bits to sort out who is talking, and sometimes to check exactly when something is happening.

I'm enjoying Wolf Hall, but have to say I'm finding it a bit confusing too.  I keep having to re-read bits to sort out who is talking, and sometimes to check exactly when something is happening.

I'm finding exactly the same problem! I'm getting into the style of writing now and in some ways I find it very effective, but it's also really difficult to read at times. Everyone seems to be called Thomas, with no indication as to which Thomas is talking when and also Thomas Cromwell is referred to as 'he', which is also confusing. It's ok when a writer has an interesting approach to writing, but it's not good when they confuse their readers!

I think that I'm becoming impatient with books, or maybe a book snob, but I did not enjoy 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel and eventually, I've had to give up.

I found the writing to be very confusing and although the idea of telling this piece of history as a present day account is interesting, I don't think that this entirely works.

This is a great book for historians, but for the general reader hoping to find out more about Thomas Cromwell, this might not be the best book to read.

Hmm, I'm a bit nervous about reading Wolf Hall because quite a few people have made the same comments. I generally like historical fiction, but it seems that a lot of people have problems with the grammar and writing style. I've never read any of Mantel's other books, so I don't know if that is her style, or if she has chosen that way of writing for that particular book. Anyway I've had it on my TBR list for ages, so I may as well crack it open and hope for the best.

Hmm, I'm a bit nervous about reading Wolf Hall because quite a few people have made the same comments. I generally like historical fiction, but it seems that a lot of people have problems with the grammar and writing style. I've never read any of Mantel's other books, so I don't know if that is her style, or if she has chosen that way of writing for that particular book. Anyway I've had it on my TBR list for ages, so I may as well crack it open and hope for the best.

I think 'Wolf Hall' is a bit of a 'Marmite' read, you either love it or you hate it. I don't hate this book as much as I hate Marmite, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I'd be interested to hear what you think of this.

As mentioned, I am having some problems with it, but I am actually really enjoying it.  If it continues this way, it will get 5/5 from me based purely on enjoyment :)

Wow! I guess I'm not as patient as you are and may have missed something there!

• 3 weeks later...

'Is it Just Me?'- Miranda Hart

First of all, I would like to point out that I'm a big fan of 'Miranda' and had high expectactions for this book. I wasn't disappointed.

This book is entertaining, extremely funny (I laughed out loud frequently thoroughout this book) and it was a very fun read.

The only problem I had with this book, was that I couldn't really work out the whether the 'real' Miranda was talking, or it was a projection of her onscreen character. She added some real-life anecdotes, but I still wasn't convinced who was talking exactly.

This may not be for those who like childish humour, but I thought this was a great read.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at my reading list so far this year, I don't think that I'm going to be able to make my 'Goodreads' target of completing 40 books this year. I'm still 4 books behind my target :doh: I'm also very behind on my reviews, so I will try and catch up on those soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think I'm going to make my target of 52 either.  I had a blitz on catching up on reviews - it's difficult once you get behind, isn't it?  :)

Yes Janet, I don't think I should have set myself a target. It's more important to enjoy reading each book, than focus on a target.

• 6 months later...

So I've finally got around to updating my Reading List and looking back at 2013, I haven't read as many books as I would have liked to. That's because life got in the way a bit and I have been too busy to read. However, I'm happy that most of the books that I have read have been really enjoyable. I loved the 'Scotland Street' novels (and hope there will be more in the future!) and was not disappointed by 'Doctor Sleep', Stephen King's latest novel. Here's too more books discovered in 2014 and hopefully more time to read! What was your favourite novel this year?

I hope 2014 will be a good reading year for you! I couldn't pick just one favourite book of 2013, though at the end of the year I'll be compiling a list of favourite reads per genre in my book log (but the year isn't over yet and I hope to be reading a bit more so). I'm glad to hear you liked the Scotland Street books, some are on my TBR and that you liked Doctor Sleep (I think it might be on my wishlist).

Hi Karen, I haven't reached my book target this year either, also due to life, or rather puppy getting in the way! I'm not planning on setting myself a target for 2014, whilst targets are fun when you are keeping up with them they are less so when you're not. I'm hoping to just read as much as I can, and relaxing when I do so, not worrying about how many pages I have read that day. :) I'm glad t hear though that you have enjoyed what you've read, and hopefully life getting in the way for you was all good too.  :friends3:

I have a few favourites from this year, including The Language of Flowers, Tell the Wolves I'm Home and Wolf Within (a biography).  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

I hope 2014 will be a good reading year for you! I couldn't pick just one favourite book of 2013, though at the end of the year I'll be compiling a list of favourite reads per genre in my book log (but the year isn't over yet and I hope to be reading a bit more so). I'm glad to hear you liked the Scotland Street books, some are on my TBR and that you liked Doctor Sleep (I think it might be on my wishlist).

Thanks Athena I hope you have a good reading year in 2014 too! Looking forward to reading your list of favourite reads!

Hi Karen, I haven't reached my book target this year either, also due to life, or rather puppy getting in the way! I'm not planning on setting myself a target for 2014, whilst targets are fun when you are keeping up with them they are less so when you're not. I'm hoping to just read as much as I can, and relaxing when I do so, not worrying about how many pages I have read that day. :) I'm glad t hear though that you have enjoyed what you've read, and hopefully life getting in the way for you was all good too.  :friends3:

I have a few favourites from this year, including The Language of Flowers, Tell the Wolves I'm Home and Wolf Within (a biography).  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

Aw how old is your puppy? I've decided not to set any more book targets for myself! I have felt constantly feeling pressured to meet my books target and not actually enjoying each book. Is 'Wolf Within' a biography of Virginia Woofle by any chance?

Aw how old is your puppy? I've decided not to set any more book targets for myself! I have felt constantly feeling pressured to meet my books target and not actually enjoying each book. Is 'Wolf Within' a biography of Virginia Woofle by any chance?

Jojo is 6.5 months now, very active but great fun. Unfortunately she is a very early riser so I have to have earlier nights so less time to read! :(

Wolf Within is by and about Shaun Ellis, a guy who has dedicated much of his life to caring for wolves. :)

Jojo is 6.5 months now, very active but great fun. Unfortunately she is a very early riser so I have to have earlier nights so less time to read! :(

Wolf Within is by and about Shaun Ellis, a guy who has dedicated much of his life to caring for wolves. :)

Aww how cute, although I'm not envious of being woken up early!

I think I may have seen Shaun Ellis on tv. I will add 'Wolf Within' on my TBR list (as if it wasn't long enough :roll: ), as this sounds really interesting.