Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

That is indeed a superb pressie! Don't tell Poppyshake (but she may already have it anyway) Must look this up to see if it's available on the Kindle.

I'm pretty sure she at least knows of the book and I wouldn't be suprised at all if she owned a copy

Poppyshake definitely owns, and has read, the book. I'm sure I originally found out about it (and the Mitfords in general) from her. :)

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

The Dead of the Night by John Marsden

Yay! :D

I loved this series growing up. I re-read it so many times that my books look ancient! I wasn't such a fan of the books he wrote after this series though.

I like the final three, but they make me a bit sad. They didn't go in the direction I wanted them to.

I believe there are seven all up! I can't remember for sure. My shelves are all messed up as stuff is being moved around. I am currently making a library/lounge! Anyway, I haven't seen the movie yet as I am concerned it would wreck my wonderful memories of the series.

Yep. There are seven in the 'Tomorrow' series, and then Marsden wrote three more called 'The Ellie Chronicles'.

Admittedly, I watched the film before I read the book (not something I usually like to do), but I watched it on my own first of all, thought it was really good, so bought a copy for friends for Christmas, and we visited them the other day and all watched it together and everyone enjoyed it, so hopefully it's done the book justice! :D

I've seen the movie. Like Devi, I was worried about the adaptation, but I think it was quite faithful to the book and overall very well done. I *really* hope you like the books, Chesil. They actually get better and better as they go along, in my opinion, so I hope you'll stick with them. :)

I hear this is supposed to be good, and maybe even a bit of a must read for Australians/Aussie lit appreciaters. Kylie got me a copy of it when I was visiting her :)

Go and read it, woman! I ain't reading any of my Finnish books until you start reading this. :P

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the final three, but they make me a bit sad. They didn't go in the direction I wanted them to.

I remember reading the first book im th Ellie chronicles, but I can't remember if I read the second or not, which just shows how much of an impact it made on me compared to the first series!

They actually get better and better as they go along, in my opinion, so I hope you'll stick with them. :)

Agreed on both counts!

^ Yes, don't look as I've posted something about the ending. :smile:

Yes please, don't give into the temptation! There's also another thing about the book I'd like to know if any of the new joiners have picked up on, so I'd appreciate it if you could first posts your answers and then read the earlier posts through. But of course you can go ahead with the thread in whichever way you want! :smile2:

I finished it last night & have just put my thoughts up but haven't had a chance to read through everyone else's yet hope to do that later today.

My next read is going to be the first book in the Chronicles Of Carlingford series, The Rector & The Doctor's Family by Mrs Oliphant.

I knew you'd be happy about that one! :lol:

:giggle2: I knew you'd know :D

I definitely want to read more Australian authors this year - I've got my own little wishlist on Amazon dedicated to all the Aussie books I've had recommended to me! Think this will be a good start :D

Oooh, very cool! I'll be looking forward to reading about them in your log :)

Go and read it, woman! I ain't reading any of my Finnish books until you start reading this.

Oi! :( You know you only have one Finnish book to read, I have loads of Australian titles! And I've already read some of them. Not fair!

:P

I finished it last night & have just put my thoughts up but haven't had a chance to read through everyone else's yet hope to do that later today.

Yeah I just spotted your answers, cheers! I have replied to them and the other news posts on the thread. :)

I finished reading Molli, maailman viisain koira last night and started reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise, but I don't know if I'm sticking with it, I only managed a few pages before I fell asleep (it was late).

I'm reading and enjoying I Capture The Castle, but it's a hardback and I need a paperback to take into the bath with me! :D So I'm going to have another try at Blaze by Stephen King. I have started it twice before, but never got past the first couple of pages. But I'm usually in my lovely bubble bath for about an hour so hopefully that will make sure I get further with it this time!

I'm really struggling with Life of Pi. Just over halfway through, and I'm starting to pray he gets eaten by the tiger just so it ends...

This made me laugh! :giggle2:

At the moment I'm about 30% through reading The Northern Lights AKA The Golden Compass. I read it a few years ago, but I think I was too young as it seems much better this time around. (And I liked it the first time).

I can't really understand why the series is classed as 'children's fiction' :S

I've read another chapter from Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie which is excellent, and I'm now halfway through Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan but it's one of those books where I'm going to have to see how it concludes before making up my mind whether I like it or not! :D

I'm now halfway through Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan but it's one of those books where I'm going to have to see how it concludes before making up my mind whether I like it or not! :D

It ought to be a good book Claire, going on the title (is the cover nice too? :D) bit disappointing when you find it's not quite living up. Though it looks as if it could go either way .. hope it's an eventual thumbs up.

Reading a few books at the moment, American Wife by Curtis Sittenfield, Deceived with Kindness by Angelica Garnett and Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather by Pierre Szalowski and they're all great so far so very happy :)

It ought to be a good book Claire, going on the title (is the cover nice too? :D) bit disappointing when you find it's not quite living up. Though it looks as if it could go either way .. hope it's an eventual thumbs up.

Reading a few books at the moment, American Wife by Curtis Sittenfield, Deceived with Kindness by Angelica Garnett and Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather by Pierre Szalowski and they're all great so far so very happy :)

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld :doh:

I'm still getting it wrong, the first time around I put Sittinfield (at least I didn't put a g in it :D)

Edited by poppyshake

I'm off to a slow start at getting in to a book.....'My Dear, I wanted to tell you'.....I know it will be good, but can't settle down to it as yet. Hope I don't have 'Chrissy' syndrome of lack of mojo!

I'm really struggling with Life of Pi. Just over halfway through, and I'm starting to pray he gets eaten by the tiger just so it ends...

That's a shame, as I thought it was very good. I hope you stick with it as you may change how you feel about it once you get to the end. :smile:

I'm about 40% through PopCo. It's good but I'm trying to see where it will lead and what the other 60% of the book holds. I feel like I've read so much of it that I should be near the end, but clearly I'm not. :thud: I hope there are some changes to the setting, so the story can move on a bit.

Edited by bobblybear

I picked up Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin from my library yesterday. So far so good.

I'd be interested to know what you think of this. There was a programme on TV last year (Part of the "Imagine" series) about Ian Rankin and a video diary of him writing this book. I've not read any of his Rebus books but this sounds quite an intriguing book.

:rolol: I've seen the adverts for the film, and really, the only reason I'd like to see it is that the tiger is absolutely gorgeous!

Well I'm about a third of the way through Rebecca, the writing is sublime, she had such a wonderful way with words and is able to put such detail into a scene that could very easily be dull in another writers hands..

It's been so long since I read Rebecca, but I do know I loved it. I should reread. /sigh/ :readingtwo:

Oh man, poor pipread! Maybe you've only picked up the wrong books, and something else will come along soon and will get you hooked in an instant? :empathy:

Hope your mojo heads back soon. :)

Oh noes!! Do you have a favorite book that you can re-read? I find that tends to help when my mojo takes a dip.

Thanks for the help and sympathy :smile: I've tried coaxing the missing mojo back but that hasn't worked so now I'm trying to be hard! I'm making myself pick up my kindle and read at least two chapters a day of my last downloaded book - The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window.......a book I think I should enjoy, my reward if I finish it will be to download Phantom - Jo Nesbo. If that doesnt work nothing will :blush2:

:rolol: I've seen the adverts for the film, and really, the only reason I'd like to see it is that the tiger is absolutely gorgeous!

The tiger is fantastic Kat, obviously it's CGI but it's just incredible .. very convincing.

My long-awaited parcel of books finally arrived this afternoon - and have started on The Tenderness of Wolves.

A few dozen pages in, and I can't but appreciate the writing.

It feels like every sentence was put down for a purpose - and constructed with care.

I've been naughty and 'borrowed' some e-books from a colleague at work :giggle: I think my TBR pile is about to grow exponentially!

I got:

About A Boy - Nick Hornby

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

Ghost Story - Peter Straub

Shadowland - Peter Straub

I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak

The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury

Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom

The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

:giggle:

I've been naughty and 'borrowed' some e-books from a colleague at work :giggle: I think my TBR pile is about to grow exponentially!

I got:

Loved both of these :D

Finished The Painted Man and enjoyed it quite a lot, really picked up speed in the last-quarter and I whizzed through it. Started Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. It was adapted into one of my favourite sci-fi films ever so it has a lot to live up to!

I got:

About A Boy - Nick Hornby

Shadowland - Peter Straub

I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak

The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury

Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom

The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

I've only read About a Boy. I seem to remember preferring the film to the book, though the book is good too :)

I have most of the others, though I haven't even heard of any of them apart from The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. :mellow: