Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

Made it over the half way mark with the Book Thief today - loving it!

That's a great book, I'm happy you're enjoying it! :)

Think I'm going to give 'Rebecca' a shot, it's been on the TBR shelf far too long. :)

I can't wait to see what you think of it, it's been on my TBR pile for way too long, too :blush:

Thanks Ooshie, I'd better or i'll be having words with a few members on here! ;)

:D Indeed! People take Rebecca very seriously! ;)

I got my Xmas pressie from Kylie in the mail today: it was a copy of The Mitfords - The Letters Between Six Sisters! :exc: Thanks Kylie, what a superb pressie! :flowers2:

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of struggling with the technogeekism of The Particle at the End of the Universe. So, although I won't completely abandon it, I'm switching to Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard.

My reading mojo did a runner a few weeks ago and there's still no sign of it! :help: I thought once the Christmas rush was over maybe things would improve but i was wrong. I've started a few books but nothing's bringing it back - I guess it's a case of sitting back and waiting for it to put in an appearance. Hope it comes back soon, I miss it. :unsure:

My reading mojo did a runner a few weeks ago and there's still no sign of it! :help: I thought once the Christmas rush was over maybe things would improve but i was wrong. I've started a few books but nothing's bringing it back - I guess it's a case of sitting back and waiting for it to put in an appearance. Hope it comes back soon, I miss it. :unsure:

Oh man, poor pipread! Maybe you've only picked up the wrong books, and something else will come along soon and will get you hooked in an instant? :empathy:

Hope your mojo heads back soon. :)

I got my Xmas pressie from Kylie in the mail today: it was a copy of The Mitfords - The Letters Between Six Sisters! :exc: Thanks Kylie, what a superb pressie! :flowers2:

You're welcome! :D

I haven't done a lot of reading, but I spent yesterday trying to get my reading list sorted. I ended up rearranging a lot of my non-fiction bookshelves (which were overflowing) and have managed to gain lots of extra shelves. I'm all set for book buying in 2013, although I plan on cutting down on my book buying a lot.

My first box of books is on it's way! I'm giddy like a schoolgirl :giggle2:. Best part of having short term memory loss is the fact that I already forgot most of what I bought! So it's like christmas again! :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

That is indeed a superb pressie! Don't tell Poppyshake (but she may already have it anyway) Must look this up to see if it's available on the Kindle.

Yay, Devi! That reminds me that I haven't posted my book list yet. I'll go do it now.

I can't wait to see your list! :D

Edited by Devi

Oh noes!! Do you have a favorite book that you can re-read? I find that tends to help when my mojo takes a dip.

The 12 Days of Kindle sale and browsing Amazon has been bad for my TBR collection, and so far this year, I've already bought:

Back Story by David Mitchell

Molly by M. C. Beaton

Ginny by M. C. Beaton

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

The Dead of the Night by John Marsden

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey

Ciao Bella: In Search of New Relatives and Dante in Italy by Helena Frith Powell

Reading wise, I've started Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie, but I want to savour it, so I'm just reading one chapter each day. I've also read the first two books of Alyxandra Harvey's YA series of Drake Chronicles.

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden.[/b]

I loved this series growing up. I re-read it so many times that my books look ancient! I wasn't such a fan of the books he wrote after this series though.

Edited by Devi

I loved this series growing up. I re-read it so many times that my books look ancient! I wasn't such a fan of the books he wrote after this series though.

We just watched the film version a couple of days ago, and I saw the Kindle version of the second book was on sale until tomorrow, so thought I'd take the opportunity to get the first two for starters. :)

We just watched the film version a couple of days ago, and I saw the Kindle version of the second book was on sale until tomorrow, so thought I'd take the opportunity to get the first two for starters. :)

I believe there are seven all up! I can't remember for sure. My shelves are all messed up as stuff is being moved around. I am currently making a library/lounge! Anyway, I haven't seen the movie yet as I am concerned it would wreck my wonderful memories of the series.

I believe there are seven all up! I can't remember for sure. My shelves are all messed up as stuff is being moved around. I am currently making a library/lounge! Anyway, I haven't seen the movie yet as I am concerned it would wreck my wonderful memories of the series.

Admittedly, I watched the film before I read the book (not something I usually like to do), but I watched it on my own first of all, thought it was really good, so bought a copy for friends for Christmas, and we visited them the other day and all watched it together and everyone enjoyed it, so hopefully it's done the book justice! :D

That is indeed a superb pressie! Don't tell Poppyshake (but she may already have it anyway) Must look this up to see if it's available on the Kindle.

I'm pretty sure she at least knows of the book and I wouldn't be suprised at all if she owned a copy :D

Less than 100 pages to go in The Tenderness Of Wolves i'm resisting looking at the Reading Circle posts in case i see something that gives away the ending :smile:

Yes please, don't give into the temptation! There's also another thing about the book I'd like to know if any of the new joiners have picked up on, so I'd appreciate it if you could first posts your answers and then read the earlier posts through. But of course you can go ahead with the thread in whichever way you want! :smile2:

The 12 Days of Kindle sale and browsing Amazon has been bad for my TBR collection, and so far this year, I've already bought:

Back Story by David Mitchell

Yes, yes! :exc:

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden

I hear this is supposed to be good, and maybe even a bit of a must read for Australians/Aussie lit appreciaters. Kylie got me a copy of it when I was visiting her :)

I started reading a doggy book by a Finnish vet and author Yrjö Kokko last night.

(Edit: If one had to translate his name into English, I suppose he would be George Bonfire... Oh, such an unnecessary comment :rolleyes: )

Yes, yes! :exc:

I knew you'd be happy about that one! :lol:

I hear this is supposed to be good, and maybe even a bit of a must read for Australians/Aussie lit appreciaters. Kylie got me a copy of it when I was visiting her :)

I definitely want to read more Australian authors this year - I've got my own little wishlist on Amazon dedicated to all the Aussie books I've had recommended to me! Think this will be a good start :D

Just started I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. I had bought it for the Reading Circle ages ago but couldn't find it when it was time to read the book. Found it when I was having my mini clear out the other week so finally getting to it! I'm only a few pages in, but enjoying the turn of phrase already :)

Just finished the second Guardians Of Childhood novel, E. Aster Bunnymund and The Warrior Eggs At The Earth's Core! It was awesome, every bit as awesome as the previous book. These are now, without a doubt, my favourite children's books. I've read the first twenty or so pages of the third book as well, hoping to finish that by Tuesday.

I'm also just over halfway through The Lost Years Of Merlin by T. A. Barron, and it's very enjoyable :)