Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been a bit cheeky and just finished a book I started last year (!), but I'm putting it on my 2013 list :D

It was the first book in the The Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Irish author Michael Scott. Off to my book thread in a minute to ramble about it. I'm also still reading At My Mother's Knee... And Other Low Joints by the awesome Paul O'Grady, and once I return to Cork this evening I'll be making my way through the last of the current Guardians Of Childhood books.

My wishlist is also already steadily building, but on the plus side, I have a nice €20 voucher waiting to be spent this weekend, so I'm going to try pick a must-have and get it with that!

I finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo last night and I've just finished Escape From Camp 14 by Blaine Harden. Both fantastic reads for different reasons, proper reviews will appear on my book log shortly.

Edited by Brian.

I'm just finishing up The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan before making an assault on my growing TBR pile. I'm looking forward to Tove Jansson's The Moomins and the Great Flood.

Up until now I've been a bit of a Stephen King purist, but for 2013 I've decided to take a gamble on James Herbert, starting with The Rats.

I've just started reading Merlin by Stephen Lawhead.

Currently on my bedroom floor (I desperately need a bookcase) are

The summer of the Bear by Bella Pollen

Malkin child, a story of Pendle witches by Livi Michael

Maine by Courtney Sullivan

Seventy times seven by John Gordon Sinclair

Covet by J R Ward

An advancement of learning by Reginald Hill

Sarah's key by Tatiana de Rosnay

XO by Jeffrey Deaver

Various pets alive and dead by Marina Lewycka

Sweetness in the belly by Camilla Gibb

A street cat named Bob by James Bowen and

Sold by Zana Muhsen and Andrew Crofts

Princess by Jean Sassons

I don't know how many I will get through but that's on my floor at the mo, plus a couple of reservation at the library.

I've just started reading Merlin by Stephen Lawhead.

*Sees name, runs to wikipedia*

Ooooooooooh. I like the sound of this Pendragon Cycle! Apparently very faithful to Arthurian legends! Definitely putting Taliesin on the Wishlist! :D

Stephen Lawhead is a great author, really does his research well. His books are not usually ones that would interest me to be honest, but one of his was book of the month at the library a few months back so I gave it a go, and was spellbound. It was Tuck, which I didn't realise at the time was not the first in a 3 parter about the Robin hood saga, but I enjoyed it so much I got the rest, and enjoyed them I looked up more, and enjoyed Taliesin so I'm now on the Pendragon series.

Fantasy isn't my favourite genre but I may revise that, when I get onto different authors :)

always looking for more inspiration :)

Up until now I've been a bit of a Stephen King purist, but for 2013 I've decided to take a gamble on James Herbert, starting with The Rats.

I've heard very good things about The Rats and I have it on my list of books to read this year.

I've put Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets to one side to see how I get on with PopCo by Scarlett Thomas. Homicide is extremely depressing, and I need something to break up the morbidity.

I'm halfway through The Tenderness Of Wolves Stef Penney it's hard to find the time & the peace & quiet to read at the moment with the children still at home from school but really enjoying this book so far :smile:

Well I've been a bit cheeky and just finished a book I started last year (!), but I'm putting it on my 2013 list :D

I'm doing the same with my first read this year :giggle2:

---

I just went through all the books I've bought/received since moving here and...when did I acquire so many??? Because I don't have shelves, just a space/drawer under my bed, they were on three rows and I had forgotten completely about some of them. It's my resolution this year I'll try and go through most of them.

Almost done with Shadows Return, I'll probably finish it tonight.

I'm halfway through The Tenderness Of Wolves Stef Penney it's hard to find the time & the peace & quiet to read at the moment with the children still at home from school but really enjoying this book so far :smile:

It's brilliant isn't it, I want to read it again but I have too many other books to read!!!

I'm doing the same with my first read this year :giggle2:

Me too! :D

It's brilliant isn't it, I want to read it again but I have too many other books to read!!!

Yes it's very good but frustrating not being able to read it as much as i'd like at the moment :banghead:

Devi said:

Yep! The very same :D

W should swap lists of what we bought! :giggle2:

I ended up with two orders, one says retrieving from warehouse, and the other is unknown. I had to query my second order though, they charged me for delivery when it's supposed to be free.

They had a fair few from my list! Some were a surprise too, as I wouldn't say they have an a-grade booklist all the time.

Did you know they just started a 30% off everything sale? Ends January 6th.... I feel another look is in order.

p.s. you wouldn't happen to know when the post starts up again would you?

Kylie says:

The post started up again yesterday. :)

I was going to query my order with them today, but then I double-checked and they have finally shipped it. I can't remember where they ship from, but I'm hoping I will receive my parcel this week! I'll post the list of books on my thread once I get 'em. :D

It will be very interesting to see if we bought any of the same books! I bought more non-fiction than fiction books. I don't think I even went through all the fiction books because there were too many pages (I was browsing by genre and left fiction until last, but I was so exhausted from browsing by that time that I just gave up).

Yep, I noticed they have another sale. Was the previous sale bigger? Because I noticed the books are priced at $3.50 instead of $3. What a ripoff! :giggle2: I haven't ordered online from them for ages - I usually go into a store, but their stores are only temporary, and they keep disappearing and reopening in other parts of my town, and the book selection seems to get worse each time they reopen. :(

Devi said:

Yep! The very same :D

W should swap lists of what we bought! :giggle2:

I ended up with two orders, one says retrieving from warehouse, and the other is unknown. I had to query my second order though, they charged me for delivery when it's supposed to be free.

They had a fair few from my list! Some were a surprise too, as I wouldn't say they have an a-grade booklist all the time.

Did you know they just started a 30% off everything sale? Ends January 6th.... I feel another look is in order.

p.s. you wouldn't happen to know when the post starts up again would you?

Kylie says:

The post started up again yesterday. :)

I was going to query my order with them today, but then I double-checked and they have finally shipped it. I can't remember where they ship from, but I'm hoping I will receive my parcel this week! I'll post the list of books on my thread once I get 'em. :D

It will be very interesting to see if we bought any of the same books! I bought more non-fiction than fiction books. I don't think I even went through all the fiction books because there were too many pages (I was browsing by genre and left fiction until last, but I was so exhausted from browsing by that time that I just gave up).

Yep, I noticed they have another sale. Was the previous sale bigger? Because I noticed the books are priced at $3.50 instead of $3. What a ripoff! :giggle2: I haven't ordered online from them for ages - I usually go into a store, but their stores are only temporary, and they keep disappearing and reopening in other parts of my town, and the book selection seems to get worse each time they reopen. :(

oh boy I can't wait to get my packages!

One order is being packed and the other is gathering from the warehouse.

I got a few non fiction books myself too! I'd say there would be more fiction books though. I can't wait to see if we did buy similar titles!

The $3 sale was just a selection of books, this 30% off is every book on the site. I have also noticed the pop up one I go to seems to be getting in less of a selection every time I look. They do deals though, not sure if yours is the same, but this one has them for $5 each or three for $10.

I've got the 12 days app on my iPad where you get a free gift everyday for 12 days and today its from the iBook store, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Needless to say ive downloaded it because its been on my wishlist for a long time!

I've got the 12 days app on my iPad where you get a free gift everyday for 12 days and today its from the iBook store, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Needless to say ive downloaded it because its been on my wishlist for a long time!

That's a very cool gift from the iBook store! I hope you enjoy 'Pillars of the Earth'. :smile:

That's a shame, you not having as much time for reading the book as you'd like, but you'll get there. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the book! :friends3:

I was thinking about you when I read the part about

the two dogs of William Parker meeting the wolf in the woods

:D It was a really nice scene overall! :)

I got a book in the mail today.... It's Noel Riley Fitch's Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties & Thirties!!! :wub: Thank you Kylie, you have superb taste! :D

Almost finished The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon due to a very slow day at work, I may even get it finished tonight depending on how entertaining the football is.

Football's never entertaining, read Zafon!!

:giggle2:

Frankie's right!! And The Prince of Mist is really good!

I went to the library this morning and I took:

Games of Thrones (Martin) and The horse Goddess (Llywelyn). I'll start them in a few hours.

Thanks Eleonora :D As it just so happens, I noticed a copy of The Prince of Mist in the bookshop just last week and was tempted to buy it, but I have to read the trilogy first.

Good luck with Games of Thrones, it's a hefty novel, I borrowed it myself a few months ago but just didn't have the time to start and read it in the end.

I wouldn't say never but I stuck the game on mute and finished the book, I made the right decision.

Frankie's right!! And The Prince of Mist is really good!

I went to the library this morning and I took:

Games of Thrones (Martin) and The horse Goddess (Llywelyn). I'll start them in a few hours.

Don't tell Frankie she is right, she'll get a big head :P

Thanks Eleonora :D As it just so happens, I noticed a copy of The Prince of Mist in the bookshop just last week and was tempted to buy it, but I have to read the trilogy first.

I'm done with my copy now so i'll stick it in the post to you and you can't say no. ;)

I wouldn't say never but I stuck the game on mute and finished the book, I made the right decision.

Wohoo! :D I hope you will always have a great book on hand and the mute control near by when there's a match...

Don't tell Frankie she is right, she'll get a big head :P

Oi! Don't believe what they say about Finns: our heads don't grow after ... when heads stop growing on normal people.

I'm done with my copy now so i'll stick it in the post to you and you can't say no. ;)

Oh dear! :D I don't have anything to send in return, unless you'd like a copy of Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith? I do have an extra copy of Kafka on the Shore but I'm sure you've already read it or have at least a copy on your TBR pile?

Stephen Lawhead is a great author, really does his research well. His books are not usually ones that would interest me to be honest, but one of his was book of the month at the library a few months back so I gave it a go, and was spellbound. It was Tuck, which I didn't realise at the time was not the first in a 3 parter about the Robin hood saga, but I enjoyed it so much I got the rest, and enjoyed them I looked up more, and enjoyed Taliesin so I'm now on the Pendragon series.

Fantasy isn't my favourite genre but I may revise that, when I get onto different authors :)

always looking for more inspiration :)

Thanks so much for the tip, looks like I have a new series. :D

Hah, truer words were never spoken! :roll: