Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 60 pages into The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Liking it very much!

I liked it, but found it.......well, slow, true, but more than that. It seemed a bit moribund. While I know Ishiguro's work is worthy, and parts of it are excellent, I just can't /sigh/ like him.

Received the latst Flavia de Luce and Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer in the mail today. Might start one of those.

But, ohhhh, the shelves with the TBR are cursing me! :giggle2:

Edited by pontalba

I liked it, but found it.......well, slow, true, but more than that. It seemed a bit moribund. While I know Ishiguro's work is worthy, and parts of it are excellent, I just can't /sigh/ like him.

This has been getting a bit slow, actually. I'm not as intrigued by this as A Pale View of Hills which I've read before by Ishiguro. But I love the language in this novel, it's such a pleasure to read. About 80 pages to go!

I finished Ape House by sara Gruen, and loved it. My first 5 star read of the year :) But am now really really struggling with Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I've read some of his stuff before and really liked it, and I enjoy dystopian novels, so I thought this would be a sure-fire winner for me, but I just am finding it boring. I will finish it, because I never give up on books once I've started them, but I will be very relieved to get it over and done with.

I started Treasure Island last night, and it's pretty good so far. I'm surprised by how readable it is, as I was expecting to struggle.

Excellent! :D

I got The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson from the library today, I read a few pages of it and it was very engaging.

Ooh, jealous!

No reading for me today, although I did get through a fair bit of Audrey Niffenegger's The Night Bookmobile (this is not much of a feat because it's a very short graphic novel).

I've finished reading The Secret of Crickley Hall. :)

Received the latst Flavia de Luce and Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer in the mail today.

I've tried to read 'Life As We Knew It' several times, but never managed to finish it. I enjoyed what I did read of it though :P

Just started Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole .. early days but I'm liking it :) I have to pick a new audio d/l soon as have a credit .. am debating whether to choose Les Misérables .. I do prefer to choose large tomes and they don't come much larger, will depend on narrator .. and courage :)

Just started Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole .. early days but I'm liking it :) I have to pick a new audio d/l soon as have a credit .. am debating whether to choose Les Misérables .. I do prefer to choose large tomes and they don't come much larger, will depend on narrator .. and courage :)

Have you ever tried librivox.org? Les Mis is on there for free. (legally ) https://catalog.librivox.org/search.php?title=les+mis&author=&status=all&action=Search

This has been getting a bit slow, actually. I'm not as intrigued by this as A Pale View of Hills which I've read before by Ishiguro. But I love the language in this novel, it's such a pleasure to read. About 80 pages to go!

Agreed. I liked Pale View better myself.

I got The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson from the library today, I read a few pages of it and it was very engaging.

'Tis that, I tore right through it. :D

I've tried to read 'Life As We Knew It' several times, but never managed to finish it. I enjoyed what I did read of it though :P

LOL, I finished it last night, it carried me right through. In fact I've ordered the second and third of the trilogy. I don't know, I was so taken with the events, and what would happen I wanted to know asap!

Have you ever tried librivox.org? Les Mis is on there for free. (legally ) https://catalog.libr...l&action=Search

Thanks Ashleighjane :) I'm already subscribing to Audible and have been wondering what to do with this months credit so I think I'll use it for downloading Les Mis .. it's about 60 hours long though :o Thanks for the link .. I'll go and have a good nose about.

Literally in the last 200 pages of A Memory of Light. So much action! You're all gonna love it. Thankfully not shed any tears yet but giggled a few times. I must have the hardness of an Aes Sedai to not be showing as much emotion. XD

Been under the weather this whole week - and haven't proceeded with Sula.

Feeling much better today though, so I hope to read for a couple of hours before sleeping.

(And looking forward to starting with The Woman in Black after that, though I'd hoped to have completed it by Feb 1)

Yesterday I read Heist Society: Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter, a non-fantasy YA, although it's highly fantastical that a group of teenagers are extremely clever, successful thieves, but just the sort of book I enjoy for my pure entertainment reads. :smile2:

Started a re-read of Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson for my reading group this month. This will be my third reading of it in five years, and it's still making me smile and chuckle, and I'm absolutely loving it. :D I'll be so glad to have someone to talk to about it, as I don't know anyone else who's read it.