Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've surpassed myself and finished a book in under 3 days! :D Watch Over Me was a light easy read, no need to think too much but still very enjoyable. Now starting A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and this may take a while it's huge!!!

Now starting A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and this may take a while it's huge!!!

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this. I had a failed start of this last year; I think it was the size that put me off a bit. I don't think I was in the mood for reading such a big book, but I know it's a very popular book so I hope to get to it this year.

Now starting A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and this may take a while it's huge!!!

I just loved ADoW and the pages seemed to fly by, but struggled with the follow

up Shadow of Night although I did enjoy it more by the time I finished it. :)

Edited by chaliepud

Don't let it get to your head :P

I can't guarantee that but I am glad you enjoyed it.

Not that I want your head to explode Brian :giggle2: but I added The Beach to my wishlist!

I'm halfway through the Book Thief and it is definitely living up to the hype!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :D

I'm still reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I'm really enjoying it but I just don't seem to have any time to read at the moment.

Not that I want your head to explode Brian :giggle2: but I added The Beach to my wishlist!

I'm sure it won't, there is far too much room in there. :D

I finished The Blood Spilt last night night, first half was pretty slow going but the second half was much better. My next read will be non-fiction.

I've read some more of The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared. It's a good story, but I'm not a fan of the writing style at the moment, although it's not enough to stop me reading it! :D

I can't wait to read your review and see if the problem for you with the writing is what I think it is :D

I've surpassed myself and finished a book in under 3 days! :D Watch Over Me was a light easy read, no need to think too much but still very enjoyable. Now starting A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and this may take a while it's huge!!!

Yay for finishing a book in under 3 days! :) ADoW has its fans on here, I haven't read it yet myself, but I hope it's good and you enjoy it :)

I'm halfway through the Book Thief and it is definitely living up to the hype!

This is great news! :D

Oh no, his poor swollen head :D

I'm still reading The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, and I want to bang my head against the wall. I can't wait to finish it so I can rant and vent.

Maybe you should just abandon it, Frankie?

That's exactly what I did!

I have started on the Sweet Poison Quit Plan (about cutting sugar out of one's diet).

I'll have to check that out Kylie as I'm attempting to do that at the moment as I know sugar irritates my headaches, I'm only cutting out refined sugars at the moment but I may start to have to cut out more things containing sugar like cereals etc.

I have started on the Sweet Poison Quit Plan (about cutting sugar out of one's diet).

I'll have to check that out Kylie as I'm attempting to do that at the moment as I know sugar irritates my headaches, I'm only cutting out refined sugars at the moment but I may start to have to cut out more things containing sugar like cereals etc.

I'm trying to do the same with my sugar intake too!

Edited by Devi

Yep, I think I got a third of the way through before giving in, it was soooo slow and tedious and by that point I couldn't have cared less how it ended!

Thank god I'm not the only one, then! I thought this was a book everyone's loved, and I've been doubting my reading skills :D Sheesh!

Chalie,

I have 44 pages left of the book, but I swear, if they mention the frigging nightgown one more time I'm going to die of brain damage :D C'mon, they've talked about the frigging garment for about 100 pages of the book!!!

I received Anna Dressed in Blood & Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside in the mail from Vodkafan :D :D :flowers2: :flowers2: :friends3:

I am also halfway through Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Haven't read anything for two days now - swamped with work.

I hope to read a bit tonight - and complete White Fang.

(I'm tempted, though, to stay online - and catch up on all the threads! :D)

I can't wait to read your review and see if the problem for you with the writing is what I think it is :D

Well, I know I said I was enjoying it, but I came back to it after a couple of days away, and realised I hadn't missed it at all, and struggled to reconnect with it. The chapter I read was one of the historical ones, and my least favourite so far, and that niggle in the writing style irritated me a bit more too. I'm going to take another break from it, and see if I feel better about it in a few days.

In the meantime, I've started the second book in the Tomorrow series, The Dead Of The Night and I'm already gripped.

Well, I know I said I was enjoying it, but I came back to it after a couple of days away, and realised I hadn't missed it at all, and struggled to reconnect with it. The chapter I read was one of the historical ones, and my least favourite so far, and that niggle in the writing style irritated me a bit more too. I'm going to take another break from it, and see if I feel better about it in a few days.

I'm sorry to hear that :( But I have to say, I did think the niggle was the historical bits. I know quite a few people have struggled with just those, while enjoying the 'present' story enormously. A shame really, that so much of the book is so good, while equally much of it is dragging and not enjoyable.

I finished Suspicions of Mr Whicher (wohoo!) but I have no idea what to read next.

I started to read Diver by Tony Groom today. It is a non fiction book about Groom's time as a navy diver in the run up and during the Falklands conflict. It's a very interesting book and it has already had me laughing out loud on several occasions.

I'm still reading The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, and I want to bang my head against the wall. I can't wait to finish it so I can rant and vent.

I read Mr. Whicher back in 2009, can't find a review of it, but as I recall it was a bit slow. I generally liked it though. Actually, the historical bits were my favorites. And the tie in with Dickens/Collins of course. I did feel a bit sorry for Mr. Whicher.

I read Mr. Whicher back in 2009, can't find a review of it, but as I recall it was a bit slow. I generally liked it though. Actually, the historical bits were my favorites. And the tie in with Dickens/Collins of course. I did feel a bit sorry for Mr. Whicher.

I understand why others would think that, but I came to read the book with very different expectations and that was one of the biggest problems for me.

I couldn't get into any of the books I tried to start last night :( I'm currently not reading anything!