Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

So far this year, I have bought more books than I have read! Started the year off nicely!

Books Bought - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce, The Last Letter from Your Lover - Jo Jo Moyes, The Lifeboat - Charlotte Rogan, A Taste for Love - Marita Conlon-McKenna and The Rose Revived - Katie Fforde.

Edited by Nicola Booth

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am about to abandon my first book of 2013 - I Do Not Come To You By Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani. I've read the first 50 or so pages but it's just not doing it for me. Such a shame as it would have been my 'Nigeria' book. Ah well. :(

How about one of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's books Janet? If you do abandon.

What happened to it?

This

Photo1_zps17264ab6.jpg

It's worth contacting Amazon about it - I've heard instances of them replacing Kindles when they're only just out of guarantee as a gesture of goodwill. It's worth asking. :)

I will. Thanks Janet.

Edited by Lucybird

I brought The Gremlins from book depostry site. I receved it yesterday.

Is that the Roald Dahl book, Laura?

My kindle broke :( going to watch The Gilmore Girls to take my mind off it

Aw. :( I hope you can get it replaced! Yes, watch more GG in the meantime. :) They are always good for a distraction.

Decided to start The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz as walking up to the shops looked treacherous and, unlike a Kindle, a paperback won't break if you fall on your backside and drop your bag on the floor! :lol: Fortunately, I made it to the café in one piece, so both the paperback and my bum were undamaged.

What? Didn't I read just a few hours ago that you were always put off reading it? Maybe that message was from a few days ago - I'm quite behind in the posts. Are you enjoying it?

What? Didn't I read just a few hours ago that you were always put off reading it? Maybe that message was from a few days ago - I'm quite behind in the posts. Are you enjoying it?

Haha yes, that was only a few days ago in Brian.'s thread :D I've never liked the cover and I've never gotten engaged by the first few sentences when I've picked up the book. But when I finished UTC, I wanted to start something before falling asleep, and the book was just there and I thought 'sod it, let's give it a go'. I'm now totally hooked :D It's great!

Decided to start The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz as walking up to the shops looked treacherous and, unlike a Kindle, a paperback won't break if you fall on your backside and drop your bag on the floor! :lol: Fortunately, I made it to the café in one piece, so both the paperback and my bum were undamaged.

Great book to read in a café Claire :D Hope you're enjoying it :) Glad to hear that you've kept upright, even walking out there is treacherous .. we're just not used to it x

I just finished an awesome book named Island by Jane Rogers.

Very unusual, dark read, about a girl abandoned at birth, who laters tracks down her birth mother, intending to kill her in revenge. However, when she discovers she has a half-brother, things take a different turn.

You can read my review in my thread, here.

Haha yes, that was only a few days ago in Brian.'s thread :D I've never liked the cover and I've never gotten engaged by the first few sentences when I've picked up the book. But when I finished UTC, I wanted to start something before falling asleep, and the book was just there and I thought 'sod it, let's give it a go'. I'm now totally hooked :D It's great!

I'm glad that you have decided to give it a serious crack. Like you I found the first handful of lines a bit weak but a chapter or 2 is all it took to hook me.

I'm glad that you have decided to give it a serious crack. Like you I found the first handful of lines a bit weak but a chapter or 2 is all it took to hook me.

Yeah, I suppose now was just the right time and the right mood for the book :) But your reading the book and liking it certainly prompted me to think of the book more often this week and I'm sure that had something to do with it, so thanks :)

Finally finished my second book of the year: Three Men In A Boat. I'm kind of glad to be finished with it actually, so I can get stuck into something else.

I'm going to carry on with Homicide, until it gets too morbid again. Next on the fiction list are:

Six Seconds - Rick Mofina

The Drowning Pool - Syd Moore

Elizabeth Street - Laurie Fabiano

They all sound like my kind of books so not sure which one to start with. They are all pre-2012 purchases, as are the two I have read so far this year, so I'm feeling a bit better about my TBR pile. :reading:

I read this one for book club too. I thought the comparison to Birdsong on the cover was a bit misleading (Birdsong had more... omph) but I very much enjoyed it as a good yarn. :)

I tried not to compare it too much Janet, but I did think it stood out enough on its own actually.

I managed to buy a book by accident on Amazon last week. :blush2: I thought I had clicked the 'add to wishlist' box when I was looking up a book mentioned by Pontalba in her thread, 'Dangerous Instincts' by Mary Ellen O'Toole. I've been dipping into it since it arrived, and finished it tonight. Interesting, easy to read, and amounting to organised common sense advice.

My mojo left me last year and as a result I barely managed to get into double figures :o I did manage to read the 3 Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitz (sp?) and just before Christmas read Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult. I just finished The Glass Painter's Daughter by Rachel Hore which I really enjoyed and I am about to start Watch Over Me by Daniela Sacerdoti - fingers crossed my mojo will stay for a while :smile:

I'm going to carry on with Homicide, until it gets too morbid again.

How long does it usually take?

I managed to buy a book by accident on Amazon last week. :blush2: I thought I had clicked the 'add to wishlist' box when I was looking up a book mentioned by Pontalba in her thread, 'Dangerous Instincts' by Mary Ellen O'Toole. I've been dipping into it since it arrived, and finished it tonight. Interesting, easy to read, and amounting to organised common sense advice.

:D I've also added the book on my wishlist thanks to pontalba, good to hear you also found it interesting.

My mojo left me last year and as a result I barely managed to get into double figures :o I did manage to read the 3 Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitz (sp?) and just before Christmas read Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult. I just finished The Glass Painter's Daughter by Rachel Hore which I really enjoyed and I am about to start Watch Over Me by Daniela Sacerdoti - fingers crossed my mojo will stay for a while :smile:

Oh dear, what a naughty and cruel modjo you had last year! :(:empathy: I hope this year will be loads better and will make all sorts of amends!

I think I'm off to read The Beach. I'm hoping to finish it today!