What's up in January

Lilywhite

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor panic at the petrol station today - the lock on the petrol cap was so stiff, it wouldn't lock after I'd filled up and I couldn't get the car key out of it. Took me about 2 or 3 minutes to get it locked and remove the key, which doesn't sound long, but when you're trying desperately not to panic, you're already freezing from the icy wind, and you think everyone is looking at you, I can tell you it feels like a lifetime! Not sure what to do to try and prevent it happening again. Don't know whether to try oil or if I need to get a replacement locking cover. :(

Edited by chesilbeach

Raven is right, its probably down to the cold weather. Try a quick squirt of WD40 and turn the lock half a dozen times, that should force out any muck or water that is making the lock stiff in the cold weather.

I'm doing (another) reread of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I believe her new one is coming out this Fall, so I suppose I'll end up rereading the whole thing.

Whoops! posted in wrong thread. :blush2:

Coolish, bright sunshine, blue skies.....loverly IOW! :D

Road Trip!! lol

I wondered what you meant there for a moment Laura - and then I realised that you must be talking about my new job.

Apart from having no uniform and name badge and being forbidden from using the hoover until I do my backcare training, it's great. In fact the more I see there the more incredulous I am about the things that my old employer got away with and why I put up with it for so long. This job is better in every conceivable way - the other housekeepers are great, the residents are lovely, and the workload is so much easier. I am so glad that I left the old place, even though I miss the reisdents, and realise now that I should have done it ages ago. The stress is dropping away, and I am even sleeping better as well.

I am officially retired. I still have a paycheck coming though for 88 hours plus they gave me a nice bonus.

Monday morning I can sleep a little later. :)

Wow, muggle not, congratulations. Although don't let those lie-ins become a habit ;) get up and embrace the day! :D

I'm holding my breath now!! And I say ....sleep in as much as you like .....you've earned it :D (I'm an embracer of the night, myself :giggle: )

We've gone from a day of 37 degrees yesterday, to a day of 23 degrees today. My bones are creaking! :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

We've gone from a day of 37 degrees yesterday, to a day of 23 degrees today. My bones are creaking! :giggle2:

That is quite a temperature swing in 1 day, I imagine a lot of people are glad for the respite from the very hot temperatures.

That is quite a temperature swing in 1 day, I imagine a lot of people are glad for the respite from the very hot temperatures.

Yeah that's Melbourne for you, we are known to have all four seasons in one day. I remember maybe a couple weeks back there was snow in some parts... in Summer! Next week is going to be mid 20's, makes a nice change.

I survived my week on helpline and now have 4 weeks till I have to do it all again (I hate doing phones!) and also got told that I won't be doing any acting up for a while. Not a happy bunny, going from 5 days to 2 was bad enough but now I'm going to be about £200 a month down in wages :( which wouldn't be so bad but after Hannah's birthday last August child benefit and tax credit stopped so we are really feeling the pinch now.

Loved the snow yesterday just a pity it was all gone this morning. I'm still struggling with the bad cough but feeling loads better in myself and I'm managing to do some reading too.

Lucky you! We had 33 degrees yesterday, and even though it was overcast, the humidity was a killer and I got sunburnt. :(

For Australia Day yesterday, I went to a 'pioneer village' near where I live. It's like stepping back in time to early Australian days. The buildings are completely authentic but have been moved from their original locations to this particular site. The place had funding problems for a while and closed down, but the locals fought to reopen it. My cousin and her husband work there, so I was able to catch up with them for a bit. My BF sang in a bush band on the back of a truck and did a great job (first time I've seen him perform). There were horse and cart rides, a re-enactment of a convict being whipped with a cat o' nine tails, and penny farthing rides (the bikes had no brakes; I was nearly steamrolled by a child who rode straight into me because he couldn't stop :giggle2:). I had a lovely day.

I'm going to see Les Miserables today. We had to postpone going to see it on Monday because of the snow, so decided to go for a Sunday viewing instead, and hope it isn't too busy. I don't know anything about the story and have only heard the odd clip of songs from the musical, so I have no idea what to expect.

I have had to take a pay cut too Jules when I started my new job, as I am now working less hours, but actually I don't mind, as there is less stress, and by finishing later I will not be going out every afternoon for cups of tea and cakes. Not only will I save money, but I will probably lose weight then too !

Most of the snow has melted now where we are, and it is drizzling with rain, but I feel the need to get out of the house, so Coran and I are off for a walk to the viewpoint in a while to get some fresh air.

Edited by Talisman

Awww, I hope you get well soon. May I ask what kind of job(s) you used to have and if you've got any specific plans for the retirement? I apologise if it's been posted before, I tried to do a search for your posts by clicking on your profile but it only shows me five recent posts for some reason and nothing older than that (maybe it's meant to be like that).

My first day in retirement and I am down with a rotten cold. My chest feels like it is full of razor blades when I cough.

Guess Retirement wasn't meant for me. :)

Or maybe it's your body's way of saying " About time!" ;) Feel better soon muggle not. :empathy:

Did you enjoy? My parents went to see and they felt it better for a theatre show than a firm

It was okay, but it was just relentless and soooooo long. My friend has seen the stage show many times and she thought it worked better in the theatre too.

Or maybe it's your body's way of saying " About time!" ;) Feel better soon muggle not. :empathy:

Thanks Chrissy........you must have been talking with poppy ....."About Time". :)

Aww that a shame hope you get better asap. .

Thanks, me too hope I get better soon. :)

Edited by muggle not