Janet's Log - stardate 2013

Janet

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah I just saw your lovely lovely stamps - and I love the cover of I, Coriander - gorgeous!

Your blog is a visual treat Janet. :flowers2:

And -

Hope your cold disappears soon dear Janet :friends0:

Edited by bree

I finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson this morning.  I wanted to love this (especially as Kay was kind enough to send it to me for Christmas) but I'm afraid I just didn't.  :( 

I read it in a couple of days (which is good for me) but that's mainly due to me being poorly - I think it would have taken longer to get through in normal circumstances.   :(

I will try to gather my thoughts as to why but I'm already a few reviews behind.

Get well soon Janet!

I missed this earlier.   Thanks, Devi.  :)

I downloaded Mrs Dalloway to my Kindle earlier.  I haven't voted for it in the RC as I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of Virginia Woolf. I guess I'm a bit afraid of her!  :giggle2:

I'm thinking that I should soon embark on a Charles Dickens.   The trouble is that I feel rather intimidated by them too - not only for their length, but also because of the language which I gather is rather flowery.  I've read A Christmas Carol dozens of times, but that's it, and it's only short.

Those of you who've read Dickens... what would you recommend as a good starting point?  Which of his books is (in your opinion) the most accessible?   :) 

I've only read Oliver Twist (but intent to read A Christmas Carol later this year!) but I enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to pick up another of his works. The language is - flowery - I think my exact comment was Dickens overuses the comma and semi colon and underuses the full stop!

But I found it a good yarn and definitely accessible. I've acted in the musical and seen the film of said musical but I found I got the most out of it when it deviated from that familiar story (the character and plot additions are excellent IMO!).

I've only read Oliver Twist (but intent to read A Christmas Carol later this year!) but I enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to pick up another of his works. The language is - flowery - I think my exact comment was Dickens overuses the comma and semi colon and underuses the full stop!

But I found it a good yarn and definitely accessible. I've acted in the musical and seen the film of said musical but I found I got the most out of it when it deviated from that familiar story (the character and plot additions are excellent IMO!).

Thanks, Alex. :) I've seen the musical, of course, and the more recent film version so that's probably a good idea.   I've just downloaded it to my Kindle. :)

Only when there's a full moon, surely? :hide:

<<<<Whoosh>>>>  I haven't seen the film, so that's the sound of your comment going over my head, I'm afraid!  :blush:

I'd go for Great Expectations if I were recommending a Dickens book. I wouldn't use the word Flowery for his writing. I'd call him Long-winded . I actually like his writing, probably because I'm pretty long-winded myself ,so I enjoy reading someone's writing who likes to YAK  as much as I do .   :)

This was also Dicken's favorite book. 

I'd go for Great Expectations if I were recommending a Dickens book. I wouldn't use the word Flowery for his writing. I'd call him Long-winded . I actually like his writing, probably because I'm pretty long-winded myself ,so I enjoy reading someone's writing who likes to YAK  as much as I do .   :)

This was also Dicken's favorite book. 

I haven't read any Dickens yet myself and am wondering the same thing, which one to start with. I think I'll read Oliver Twist first, it's not too big and I know a bit about the story.

Thanks ladies.  :)  I'll see how I get on with Oliver Twist and then maybe try Great Expectations later this year.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the library yesterday and got out a book called Estates by Lynsey Hanley.  It's a non-fiction book about social housing and sounds really interesting (although I have to finish my current read and then read my book club book first!).  I'm sure someone on here recommended it (it was on my library Wish List) but I've searched and can't find any mention of it.  Odd!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm way behind with my reviews again.  :blush:

Since I last updated I've finished three books for my World Challenge, which I've yet to write reviews for.

I went to the library yesterday and got out a book called Estates by Lynsey Hanley.  It's a non-fiction book about social housing and sounds really interesting (although I have to finish my current read and then read my book club book first!).  I'm sure someone on here recommended it (it was on my library Wish List) but I've searched and can't find any mention of it.  Odd!

I finished this yesterday.  It was Roland Butter who recommended it - on Facebook, I think.   I enjoyed it - and it was quite pertinent reading with it being about council housing - and my reading of it coinciding with Margaret Thatcher's death!

I've also managed to acquire quite a few new books. :roll:  I really wasn't going to let this year get out of hand, but I just can't seem to help myself!  I've got:

Going Solo by Roald Dahl 

I Can't Stay Long by Laurie Lee

The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (I nearly chose this for Book Club, but decided against it - and then the person after me picked it! :giggle2:  )

and today a friend gave me a copy of The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend, as she was given a duplicate copy!

That takes this year's tally of new 'tree books' up to 28.   I'm never going to get to the end of my 'to read' pile.  :blush:

Going Solo by Roald Dahl

x

I recently bought this book too, I've heard good things about it.

x

The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

x

I haven't read any books by this author, my mum has though (in Dutch) and quite liked them. I hope you like this one :).

x

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (I nearly chose this for Book Club, but decided against it - and then the person after me picked it! :giggle2: )

x

This is on my TBR, look forward to hear/read what you think :).

x

and today a friend gave me a copy of The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend, as she was given a duplicate copy!

x

I look forward to hear/read what you think, it used to be on my wishlist but I read one bad review and decided to remove it (for some reason that I can't remember).

x

That takes this year's tally of new 'tree books' up to 28.   I'm never going to get to the end of my 'to read' pile.  :blush:

x

Me either but I can't say I'm very bothered by it. I dread to think what I would do if I didn't have any books left to read (or if I've reread all of them recently)! That said, possibly in a while I might have to cut back on book buying for a long time. I'm glad I have at least my TBR to look at and think about, I won't be without books to read for a while etc.

Good luck though on reading more books! :)

xI recently bought this book too, I've heard good things about it.

I hope you enjoy it too.  :)  I read the first installment, Boy, last year, and thought it was really good. 

xI haven't read any books by this author, my mum has though (in Dutch) and quite liked them. I hope you like this one :).

It's another of his YA books.   We went to a charity coffee morning and... well, you have to buy something, don't you?!  :giggle2:   I read The Prince of Mist last year and that was great.  :)  I haven't read any of his books for adults though.

xThis is on my TBR, look forward to hear/read what you think :).

Thanks.  :)  I haven't read any Jojo Moyes before.  We're not discussing it until June, so it'll be some time before I get round to it. 

xlook forward to hear/read what you think, it used to be on my wishlist but I read one bad review and decided to remove it (for some reason that I can't remember).

My friend gave it to me.  She bought it - and then someone bought it for her birthday so she had a spare copy! :)

xMe either but I can't say I'm very bothered by it. I dread to think what I would do if I didn't have any books left to read (or if I've reread all of them recently)! That said, possibly in a while I might have to cut back on book buying for a long time. I'm glad I have at least my TBR to look at and think about, I won't be without books to read for a while etc.

Good luck though on reading more books! :)

Thanks.  :)  I think I could get snowed in for a year and not run out of books! :giggle:

I've been hunting for an inexpensive copy of Going Solo for ages - my library stocks one copy! I might just bite the bullet and reserve it.

Estates sounds really interesting!

I counted my TBR pile (tree and kindle) and it comes in at 170. (It must be 172 now because my bf bought me some book presents this week). Sometimes I feel bad about it then I realise how much joy they give me (and how many Kylie must have :P )

Edited by Alexi

' (and how many Kylie must have :P )

:giggle2:

There weren't any copies of Going Solo in my library.   It would have cost me £1 to reserve it but I was lucky to find a copy for 50p.  :)

I don't count my Kindle books because I can't see them! 

ETA: What a lovely BF!  :D