Janet's Log - stardate 2013

Janet

I remember you love lists, I quite like them, too. It's a whole lot of fun going back old lists and statistics, in so many ways... Sometimes it's fun to go back and mentally pat the 2008 newbie frankie on the head and say, 'you have no idea, do you' :giggle2: Think of how many great stats and lists you have, you've been here for so many years! I wonder what it was like back in 2006, how was it different from what it is like now?

It is great fun! :D I hope I would never be patronising enough to pat you on the head and say that though!

You know what we should do? We should start keeping a list of members on here who like lists.

Sorry, that was bad. But I had to!

There must be a name for people who keep lists of people who keep lists! :giggle2:

Hahah! :D

It's been so long that I can't remember for sure, but is this how it went?:

Alec was the one who raped Tess, but he was a right a-hole to begin with, so we weren't completely surprised by what he did? And Angel was the 'good samaritan' who was supposed to be all kinds of good but rejected Tess because she was 'tainted'. :rolleyes: Bloody hell, it's not like she asked for it herself or had any choice in the matter! *fumes* So anyhow, one doesn't expect something like that from Angel, so in a way he's worse than Alec. Is that it?

Yes, that’s it exactly!

Alec was a right 'bar-steward' (I'm being rude there if it doesn't translate! :giggle: ) - Angel was meant to be so wonderful and it was the whole 'double-standards' bit of it that made me so angry. I know that is what would have happened at the time, but it still made me SO MAD! Good on Hardy for writing it and showing up the utter ridiculousness of the situation.

I think your tastes have changed quite a lot and you've broadened your horizons, so I would definitely encourage you to give the Castle book another go since you've thought about it. Who knows what you'll make of it this time You know, if it's there at the library, staring you right in the eyes, and you find you have nothing else to read, for some really odd reason...

Maybe…! I do have nearly 100 tree books to get through though – plus all the ones I have put on my Kindle!

I agree. But I think that one should only re-read the 'hated' books if one feels inclined to do so and is open to possibly enjoying the book. With some books I would give them another go, but I know there are books I don't want to try again, because I just feel I have better things to do with my time.

There are definitely some books I would never try again! I know I’ve mentioned it once or twice before, but The Catcher in the Rye definitely falls into that category! :D

Sigh.... Hm, I wonder if the first picture would like to be my screensaver.... :giggle:

It would! I’m sure there is even a desktop wallpaper sized one on the internet somewhere too! I have Mr Darcy as my background picture on my mobile phone! :D

It's only the BBC adaptation chesilbeach and me have been trying to talk you into watching in the Whatcha Watching thread :D

Yes, watch it – it’s brilliant!

Edit: Oh, and Janet, I'm so amazed that you've been to those places!! Did you get goosepumps?!

It was certainly a wonderful trip – I was so excited to go there. It was such a stroke of luck – Peter and I drove past it not realising we were on the road where Lyme Park is – it seemed like destiny!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just ordered this set of Dickens books from The Book People! :D I will probably read the actual books on my Kindle, but they were so prettyful and only £19.99 (and free postage as I was a new customer) that I just wanted them! I'll take me years to get through them all! :giggle2:

Okay, that's you, Janet, Kylie, frankie... *scribbles down and stops to ponder* :D

Don't forget me! :D

Edited by Devi

I've just ordered this set of Dickens books from The Book People! :D I will probably read the actual books on my Kindle, but they were so prettyful and only £19.99 (and free postage as I was a new customer) that I just wanted them! I'll take me years to get through them all! :giggle2:

No way! That is insanely cheap! I'm so jealous, Janet! For that price over here, you could only get about 2 of those Vintage Classics, and I consider that pretty cheap. You lucky, lucky thing! :D

Wow, that's great :D. I hope you enjoy them :). I've just ordered a few Charles Dickens books myself actually, judging by the list on the site you posted, I may have them all or nearly all, soon. Edited by Athena

Yay - another member of the list club!

No way! That is insanely cheap! I'm so jealous, Janet! For that price over here, you could only get about 2 of those Vintage Classics, and I consider that pretty cheap. You lucky, lucky thing! :D

Wow, that's great :D. I hope you enjoy them :). I've just ordered a few Charles Dickens books myself actually, judging by the list on the site you posted, I may have them all or nearly all, soon.

Thanks - I couldn't believe it! I don't know what made me think to look on there when I did - so lucky! :D

I love when I come in here and find some good old hatred of Catcher in the Rye :D still peeved I abandoned it because it is on the 1001 list, so if I ever wanted to complete that I'd have to read the sodding thing again!

I also love lists, and ticking things off lists :D

Congrats on your AWESOME Dickens haul J.

I know you share my feelings, Alex! :D you could always start it from the point you abandoned it - if you haven't blocked it out of your mind!

Yay for another list lover.

And thanks - they are rather awesome, aren't they! :D

My Dickens collection arrived today. They are lovely! I can't believe they were only £19.99. :)

Nothing to do with books, but Peter and I have had a lovely day out today. All the snow has gone from the roads, but it still looks absolutely gorgeous in the countryside. How beautiful is this...?!

8410885171_921cd257cb_z.jpg

:wub:

Very beautiful pic Janet .. the countryside looks gorgeous .. so Narnian (watch out for women bearing gifts of Turkish Delight :D) So many fields still covered in snow, I was hoping to see a fox but I suppose that's being greedy.

Add me to your list of list lovers :)

I stole your picture Janet! I nabbed it for my new desKtop background.

I was hoping to see a fox but I suppose that's being greedy.

I often see foxes on the way home when I finish at 2 am or 6 am. I saw one last night and it had its mottled dark winter coat, almost black. It just sauntered across the road, was not even scared of the car.

I hope Steve won't object to me posting his PM to me in here, but I mentioned my apprehension when it comes to sci-fi but said I'd be open to suggestions and he kindly sent me the following recommendations...

Hi Janet!

Okay, so I immediately thought of this: Replay by Ken Grimwood. It's about a guy who dies of a heart attack when he's 43, and then wakes up again in his own body when he's 18, and gets to live his life again. It's a fantastic book, full of twists, and if it doesn't make you cry you're a better person than me! Plus it's only 270 pages long :D

Failing that, there's always I Am Legend. Nothing like the Will Smith movie, thank gawd. And it's only 180 pages long.

Getting me to find sf/fantasy books that are short . . . that's so cruel! :giggle2:

I have never seen the film I Am Legend [which sounds like a good thing!] but it doesn't seem to be available from the library here, but Reply is, so I'll probably go for that, at some stage. Watch this space... :)

I have Replay on my wish list Janet so I'll be very interested to hear what you think about it as i've never ventured into sci-fi either.. :)

Yes I have it on mine too (thanks to Steve's review) so will be very interested to see what you make of it Janet :)

Thanks guys. :)

Although I'm finding it hard to fit in reading time at the moment. I've been reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall since 18 January and I'm still only 60% of the way through it. :(

I have never seen the film I Am Legend [which sounds like a good thing!] but it doesn't seem to be available from the library here, but Reply is,  

Ooh, I like that your library has Replay, I thought it would be the other way around.  Until recently it seemed to be quite a difficult book to get hold of :smile:

My Dickens collection arrived today. They are lovely! I can't believe they were only £19.99. :)

Nothing to do with books, but Peter and I have had a lovely day out today. All the snow has gone from the roads, but it still looks absolutely gorgeous in the countryside. How beautiful is this...?!

:wub:

How beautiful is that!

Wow. Stunning!

It is great fun! :D I hope I would never be patronising enough to pat you on the head and say that though!

Like you could ever be patronizing... You are too nice for that! :friends3:

There must be a name for people who keep lists of people who keep lists! :giggle2:

:D If there is, I would definitely like to know what it is!

Yes, that’s it exactly!

Alec was a right 'bar-steward' (I'm being rude there if it doesn't translate! :giggle: ) - Angel was meant to be so wonderful and it was the whole 'double-standards' bit of it that made me so angry. I know that is what would have happened at the time, but it still made me SO MAD! Good on Hardy for writing it and showing up the utter ridiculousness of the situation.

Bar-steward :lol: :lol: That made me LOL, I have to remember that! I have to agree, Hardy was pretty good chap to put it on a book. The more we talk about the book the more I'm thinking I should re-read it. I wouldn't read it in English, though, I know I'd give up. My copy was such a depressing one, all black and white to begin with. Maybe I should go for a Finnish edition. Maybe some day!

There are definitely some books I would never try again! I know I’ve mentioned it once or twice before, but The Catcher in the Rye definitely falls into that category! :D

Oh yes, for some particular reason I remember this very well :giggle2:

Adding Devi to the list :D

I love when I come in here and find some good old hatred of Catcher in the Rye :D still peeved I abandoned it because it is on the 1001 list, so if I ever wanted to complete that I'd have to read the sodding thing again!

I also love lists, and ticking things off lists

Adding Alexi to the list... :D

That's amazing! What a perfect picture, it looks like a painting!

Add me to your list of list lovers :)

Adding poppyshake to the list :D

I hope Steve won't object to me posting his PM to me in here, but I mentioned my apprehension when it comes to sci-fi but said I'd be open to suggestions and he kindly sent me the following recommendations...

I have never seen the film I Am Legend [which sounds like a good thing!] but it doesn't seem to be available from the library here, but Reply is, so I'll probably go for that, at some stage. Watch this space... :)

I actually liked I Am Legend the movie. Eventhough I can't stand Will Smith. He did an amazing job in that movie. But I'm really happy to know the book's very different from the movie, it's going to be a whole other experience to read the novel when one doesn't know what to expect.

Ooh, I like that your library has Replay, I thought it would be the other way around.  Until recently it seemed to be quite a difficult book to get hold of :smile:

Oh I think we can probably blame you for that :D

It's actually in a library about 10 miles from here, but it's somewhere I occasionally go food shopping (the town, not the library!  :giggle: ) so I'll combine the two events. :)

How beautiful is that!

Wow. Stunning!

Thank you.  My photography is a bit hit-and-miss, so I was very pleased with it. :)

Like you could ever be patronizing... You are too nice for that! :friends3:

Aww, bless you! :hug:

:D If there is, I would definitely like to know what it is!

I just Googled 'is there a term for people who like lists?' and one of the links I followed took me to a page on Wikipedia about sexual fetishes!  :giggle2:  Oh my!

Bar-steward :lol:  That made me LOL, I have to remember that! I have to agree, Hardy was pretty good chap to put it on a book. The more we talk about the book the more I'm thinking I should re-read it. I wouldn't read it in English, though, I know I'd give up. My copy was such a depressing one, all black and white to begin with. Maybe I should go for a Finnish edition. Maybe some day!

Mmmm - maybe some day - but on the other hand, life is too short to read books you aren't enjoying so maybe revisiting it wouldn't be good!  Which leads me on to...

[Gah - the quoting business was going really well until I accidentally pushed the carriage return button, and now it's not working so I'll have to continue manually]

Oh yes, for some particular reason I remember this very well :giggle2:

...the fact that I won't be rereading The Catcher in the Rye.  Ever!  :P

Adding Devi to the list

Adding Alexi to the list

Adding poppyshake to the list ..

Yay - more Listomaniacs!

That's amazing! What a perfect picture, it looks like a painting! 

Thank you.

I actually liked I Am Legend the movie. Eventhough I can't stand Will Smith. He did an amazing job in that movie. But I'm really happy to know the book's very different from the movie, it's going to be a whole other experience to read the novel when one doesn't know what to expect.

Ah, I asked above if you've read it, but now I see you haven't!  I hope you enjoy it when you do. 

Oh I think we can probably blame you for that :D

I think so too!  :D

[i ran out of smileys!]