Ripper Street

vodkafan

I thought this was good enough to have a thread of it's own. Is anybody else watching this? Set in 1889 after the Ripper murders. I love the Victorian London atmosphere, costumes, language and characters. I like the 3 lead characters. For the first time I am watching a TV series right from the beginning. :smile:

Anybody else got any thoughts on the first episode?

I thought it was excellent. It really looked like the BBC had spent some money on the locations & costumes etc. Looking forward to the next episode.

I watched this and found it enjoyable. My only beef was the American guy was difficult to hear sometimes. But it looks promising.

You're the second person I've heard who's said that. My wife has hearing difficulties, so everything in our house is watched with subtitles whenever possible - even I find it useful - it's amazing what you miss or mis-interpret.

I watched the second episode. The plot thickens about the Doc and Slack Alice or whatever her name is. The actor who played the evil Scouse is a delight to watch. He was good in that space prison film.

This episode seemed to stretch credibility though. The Doc shot somebody dead and no questions asked? Also how did he and Slack Alice escape their tight spot with Scouse? Why would he have not just killed them? Also the condemned boy disappears from the prison and again no questions are asked?

Did anybody else watch this one?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, having watched all in this series I shall feel empty on Sunday evenings.  I thought it was a great series.  Loved the sets, the plots and the slightly outdated English language.  Most of all I shall miss Jerome Flynn's brilliant face, it was like a Toby Jug.

Yes, there is going to be a second series, early in 2014 I believe.

I watched the second episode. The plot thickens about the Doc and Slack Alice or whatever her name is. The actor who played the evil Scouse is a delight to watch. He was good in that space prison film.

This episode seemed to stretch credibility though. The Doc shot somebody dead and no questions asked? Also how did he and Slack Alice escape their tight spot with Scouse? Why would he have not just killed them? Also the condemned boy disappears from the prison and again no questions are asked?

Did anybody else watch this one?

Haha, I think you meant Long Susan. :D

Haha, I think you meant Long Susan. :D

Ah thanks Sue . Well I missed almost the whole series.  I really need a fix of Victoriana I am thinking of buying the Dvds of the original Upstairs Downstairs. Even though I believe that does start in 1912. The only Victorian Dvds I have are A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart version) David Copperfield , Fingersmith and Tipping The Velvet and I know all of them inside out.  

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the first and will watch the second on the net. I enjoyed it.

I was looking on Imdb and found a bbc america series called Copper, which has now been cancelled, Was it any good? Seems like a similar kind of thing. Will they show it here?

I've just watched the second episode of Ripper Street, It has been a strange mix so far with the presence of The Elephant Man in the series, among other historical characters.

Inspector Aberline, Joseph Merrick are just names or characters that I recognise more. I've seen the Johnny Depp and Michael Caine versions of the ripper story.