Jessi's Reading List - 2013

Jessi

I'm so glad you loved the book thief too! It's an amazing read. :)

Isn't it just? I think it'll be a while before I read something that matches it!

Great review of The Book Thief. I really like Rosa, but it did take me a while to warm to her. Under her brash and hard exterior, she was a very caring person who only wanted the best for others.

I really fell for her after Max turned up - that was when I knew she was going to have so many more layers than what we has seen up to that point.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really glad you enjoyed The Book Thief - I haven't read it in a few years and must try to make time to read it again.

Its gone straight back on my reread pile - but not for a while yet... part of me still can't get over the fact the end was spo brutal. The last couple of pages were some comfort but Hans and Rosa... :cray:

Edited by Jessi

Hi Jessi, I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2013! :)

Too bad you didn't fully enjoy The Perks of Being a Wallflower, right from the get-go, but I'm happy you found the second half of the book better :) And I'm certainly happy you enjoyed The Book Thief, what an amazing story :)

Everyone seems to love The Book Thief, I will have to bump my copy higher up my TBR.

Yeah you do! :)

I agree with Frankie!

Hi Jessi, I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2013! :)

Too bad you didn't fully enjoy The Perks of Being a Wallflower, right from the get-go, but I'm happy you found the second half of the book better :) And I'm certainly happy you enjoyed The Book Thief, what an amazing story :)

It did certainly pick up :) Isn't it just? Its going to stay with me for a long time. It reminded me a lot of Goodnight Mr Tom, which is one of my all time favourites. Thanks Frankie - hope you have a good year too!

Everyone seems to love The Book Thief, I will have to bump my copy higher up my TBR.

I agree with Frankie!

Me too - I can't believe I waited so long to read it!

The Book Thief - Markus Zukas (5/5)

Another 5-star rating for The Book Thief - this most-be the best-loved BCF book, (along with To Kill A Mocking Bird :) )

Thank you for your review, I hope to read it soon and hopefully enjoy it as much as you did.

Another 5-star rating for The Book Thief - this most-be the best-loved BCF book, (along with To Kill A Mocking Bird :) )

Thank you for your review, I hope to read it soon and hopefully enjoy it as much as you did.

I'm sure you will :) I think it is - and To Kill a Mockingbird is on my TBR list - and one I really want to get through this year too :)

Catherine The Great - Robert K Massie (4/5)

I was so looking forward to this book. I read a book on Catherine The Great and Potemkin a few years ago and loved it. I came away from it thinking Catherine the Great lived an incredible life.

This book furthered that belief. Catherine The Great was one of very few women to ever rule over Russia, despite being born as a relatively low down German princess. We are taken through her life from her arrival in Russia, through her loveless marriage, her taking of the throne and then beyond. We met the councillors and the diplomats who were important in her life, various members of the royal family, as well as of course, her lovers. Ultimately, Catherine comes across as a strong character who was mostly a fair ruler, but occasionally did what she had to in order to keep her throne. This women who loved the arts and wrote to Voltaire could be ruthless when she had to be.

The book is a great read, especially the first half where Massie wrote incredibly well. It was unfortunate that as the book drew to the close there was more than one typo and then some repetitions in information - it called to mind Maggie Smith’s line from Downton Abbey: ‘My poor niece will never use one word when twenty will do.’

Overall though, a really good read - it just didn’t challenge Edmund Morris’ Colonel Roosevelt as much as I wanted it too.

Great review of The Book Thief, Jessi. I absolutely loved it too. I remember closing myself away in my room to read the ending (luckily I had the day off work!) and I bawled for ages. I really must re-read it soon!

I rated The Perks of Being a Wallflower as one of my favourite books, but I oddly can't remember much of it. I do remember identifying with Charlie, though.

Great review of The Book Thief, Jessi. I absolutely loved it too. I remember closing myself away in my room to read the ending (luckily I had the day off work!) and I bawled for ages. I really must re-read it soon!

I rated The Perks of Being a Wallflower as one of my favourite books, but I oddly can't remember much of it. I do remember identifying with Charlie, though.

I so wanted to cry - but I knew I had to go back into the office ten minutes later and serve the customer, so I had to blink a lot and bit my lip. It was so sad.

Charlie was an interesting character - I don't know why it took me so long to get into it, I just took a while I guess.

Two re-reads coming up for you then, Kylie?

Edited by Jessi

well since I started this thread I've noticed I'm flying through books on my kindle. I'm on my third book already since just after Xmas & will probs finish that this weekend. That's quick for me. Normally takes me roughly 2 weeks a book with paperback. Maybe I'm just reading more as I love my new toy I'm not sure though. There might be some truth in it.

It did certainly pick up :) Isn't it just? Its going to stay with me for a long time. It reminded me a lot of Goodnight Mr Tom, which is one of my all time favourites. Thanks Frankie - hope you have a good year too!

Hm, I'm now going to have to google Goodnight Mr Tom to see what it's like :D Maybe something to add to the wishlist....

I'm sure you will :) I think it is - and To Kill a Mockingbird is on my TBR list - and one I really want to get through this year too :)

That's another great one, I really hope you enjoy it! But I dare say you will, because you enjoyed The Book Thief and thus have good taste :D

Edit: GMT is going on my wishlist, thanks :D

Hey Star- I think you may have posted that on the wrong thread :) Thats great that your doing so well with reading this year though - I know I speed up when I got my kindle last year!

Whoops I didn't even realise sorry :blush2:

That's what happens after a couple of beers on a Friday night ;)

Debutantes - Cora Harrison (3/5)

I enjoyed this book. It’s a Young adult novel set in the 1920s, with the four daughters of an earl whose going broke as the protagonists. While some of the girls look to the future and love the movies, the eldest of the girls long for the days of the past and to be presented at court and then marry well. With money lacking, there seems little chance of that happening until they find out they have an aunt they knew nothing about. The book follows the girls as they take their luck on love, their dreams and pursue their goals.

6. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Chronicles (4/5)

Ok, so I got this book for myself as a late Christmas present. I loved the Hobbit when I went to see it and was a complete geek for the LOTR when I was younger (whom am I trying to kid, I still am!) and had some Christmas money to spend so thought why not and I am so glad I got this book. It basically takes you behind the movie into all the concept art that went into it. From the original designs to what we saw on screen, we are taken across the whole journey and the result is a really, really beautiful book. The art department and the whole Weta team are just so talented and I love that this book came out so that they can get the credit they deserve. It also gives you quotes from the actors as to how costume and design helped them to approach their characters which are really interesting. A must have for any big Hobbit fans.

Edited by Jessi

A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin (4/5)

Epic is a word that is overused these days, but if it applies to any book series, I think A Song of Fire and Ice is one of them. The latest edition, A Dance with Dragons is no exception to this rule. It remains as complex and rich as ever.

Well over 1000 pages put together, Martin reunites us with the characters we did not get to see in A Feat for Crows and gives us glimpses of those we did. Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen lead ADWD as the two of them both get used to the power (and indeed more comfortable with how to wield it) while they continue along their own journeys. Arya returns, but not as well know her and the Dorne becomes more prominent than before. Victarion Greyjoy launches his own bid for the Iron Throne and Dany’s hand. (In fact, part of me thinks ‘Marry Me Daenerys’ would be a more appropriate title for this book.) It only offers a glimpse of Kings Landing (which I missed - I love to read Cersei’s POV). That said, Tyrions chapters were a constant surprise - I did not see what was coming for him (I had no idea what to expect - but this wasn’t it!) he gave me my fill of the Lannisters though. Theon Greyjoy also plays his part - and for all his sins in previous books, I just so felt for him.

I love this world: I love the cultures and the customs: I love (and love to hate) the characters. But every time I pick up these books I am reminded they are not for the weak stomached. This is a truly dog eat dog world and puts the evil in medieval (doesn’t really work I know, but I’m going with it) from time to time, in fact, chapter to chapter. The fantasy element of the book is never lost. The dragons, the white walkers, the wildlings and the magic keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I don’t know whether it is a fault of mine or the novels (probably the former) but the only complaint I have is I sometimes find the cast a little too big and am always flicking to the back pages for reminders of who is who. The core characters are firmly entranced in my mind - but the smaller ones are easy to lose track of. I am going to have to have a reread of the entire series before the Winds of Winter is published - 2015 seems so far away! And now my wait begins...

I’d recommend this series to anyone who loves fantasy - but would warn them not to get too attached to anyone!

Edited by Jessi

• 2 weeks later...

One Pair of Hands - Monica Dickens (3/5)

Monica Dickens memoirs of being in service during the 1930s should interest any fans of Downton Abbey. Social history has become of increasing interest to me over the past few years and I enjoyed this. Monica wrote about the families she served (with various degrees of affection) and the jobs she did (with varying degrees of success.) perhaps due to her own status (Monica came from a well off family) I could not help but feel she was a little patronising towards those she worked with at times and came off as pleasant enough, but with an ego. An interesting read though.