Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

I will probably be catching up on my 2012 reviews for the best part of this year :blush2: If there's one thing I want to do this year it's to try and keep more up to date with reviews, maybe I should offer myself a book/cake/treat incentive? :) and a word limit ;)

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. :lol: The first thing I said when starting my thread this year was that I'd keep up to date with reviews of books I read this year. Alas, a week through the year and I'm already three behind. :( I think an incentive of any of the things you mentioned would improve the regularity in my review writing, although treating myself with a book could be a problem. :haha:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. :lol: The first thing I said when starting my thread this year was that I'd keep up to date with reviews of books I read this year. Alas, a week through the year and I'm already three behind. :( I think an incentive of any of the things you mentioned would improve the regularity in my review writing, although treating myself with a book could be a problem. :haha:

Treating myself with cake will definitely be a problem, the reviews will get done but I won't be able to see my own feet :D

deceivedwithkindness.jpg

Deceived with Kindness - Angelica Garnett

Amazon Synopsis: Angelica Garnett may truly be called a child of Bloomsbury. Her Aunt was Virginia Woolf, her mother Vanessa Bell, and her father Duncan Grant, though for many years Angelica believed herself, naturally enough, the daughter of Vanessa's husband Clive. Her childhood homes, Charleston in Sussex and Gordon Square in London, were both centres of Bloomsbury activity, and she grew up surrounded by the most talked-about writers and artists of the day - Leonard and Virginia Woolf, Roger Fry, the Stracheys, Maynard Keynes, David Garnett (whom she later married), and many others. But Deceived with Kindness is also a record of a young girl's particular struggle to achieve independence from that extraordinary and intense milieu as a mature and independent woman. With an honesty that is by degrees agonising and uplifting, the author creates a vibrant, poignant picture of her mother, Vanessa Bell, of her own emergent individuality, and of the Bloomsbury era.

Review: I've read quite a lot about this book in recent years and was expecting a kiss and tell more along the lines of 'Mommie Dearest'. It's said that Angelica's half-brother Quentin didn't talk to her for quite some years after publication and it's generally thought to be a less than flattering portrait of Angelica's mother, Vanessa Bell. Angelica herself has written a prologue in this edition where she more or less says that, given the opportunity again, she would write things differently. However, to me, it just seemed an incredibly honest portrait, there was nothing nasty or waspish, and despite the disappointment she no doubt felt she recounts it all without whining or self pity (or hardly any anyway).

Most of the criticism levelled at Vanessa is that, at times, she was a bit of a remote figure, there seemed a barrier between them - you couldn't call it coldness - probably it was more to do with their complicated backstory. There was a lot kept hidden from Angelica, she didn't find out until her teens that her father was Duncan Grant (though Angelica claims not to have been that surprised, especially as a schoolfriend had hinted at it years before). Duncan, a homosexual, had had a brief love affair with Vanessa. Practically everyone (including Angelica's brothers) had always known the situation .. and that in itself must have been painful (and despite getting on well with both her fathers she wasn't really close to either .. it was as if instead of having two fathers she had none .. they both were more like kindly uncles). When she was twenty Angelica began an affair with David Garnett, a Bloomsbury group member, twenty six years older than herself. David wrote, amongst other things, Aspects of Love and a book I read late last year Lady into Fox (you will know all of this if you've been paying attention because I've rambled on about it several times before but you may well of nodded off .. I couldn't blame you.) Though they were all appalled by it, nobody actively discouraged the relationship, a few (including Virginia) gave admonitory hints but Angelica steamed ahead anyway and ended up marrying David after the death of his wife. What Angelica didn't know at the time was that David had been a one-time lover of her father Duncan Grant and that he'd also propositioned Vanessa (but was refused) .. no wonder they were all having meltdowns behind the scenes (but they chose not to say anything about it .. or nothing to Angelica anyway.)

I loved the chapter on the Woolfs (naturally). Virginia, of course, was another complicated soul but Angelica sheds new light on both her and Leonard (Virginia called Angelica 'Pixerina' and herself 'Witcherina' .. she was convinced that Angelica inhabited her own fantasy world and was longing to enter it). I could have done with more chapters on the Woolfs, in fact I could have done with more of everything, especially more information about Angelica's later life. It's clear that she inherited some of Vanessa's reserve, she never was able to have a 'cards on the table' talk with either her father or mother, whether it would have made any difference or settled anything is debatable but you feel as if it all built up to almost unbearable levels. She talks often about being in company with her mother and the pair of them just sitting there not talking, not out of any bad feeling or anything but not a companiable silence either .. more like they're afraid to let their defences down (and you sense that neither of them engaged in small talk). It's not all doom and gloom though, far from it and any insight into Bloomsbury life, especially from an insider, is very welcome to me, I treasured every crumb.

angelica.jpg
Virginia and Angelica

4/5 (and special thanks to dear Kylie for sending it to me :friends0:)

Edited by poppyshake

Brick Lane is a terrific read, I hope you like it.

It's been on my shelf for ages and I've no idea why, I've only ever heard positive things about it. I must read it this year, your recommendation encourages me :)

Want your socks :giggle2:

Haha .. I think they come from a secret Finnish recipe. Certainly I've never had such warm socks on my feet .. though us Sassenachs probably don't know the meaning of warm socks .. you would have that sorted up there Di :D .. but have you got such pretty warm socks?

They may start a book blog of their own, I've got a feeling they would definitely out-read me if given the chance. Despite appearances to the contrary .. I'm the more woolly headed :giggle2:

fishchange.jpg

Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather - Pierre Szalowski

Amazon Synopsis: Once upon a time in a frozen city...strangers fall in love, wishes come true, and lives will never be the same again When his parents split up, and his dad leaves home, a ten-year-old boy begs the sky to help him. The next day an ice storm covers his city. When the power goes out and the temperature drops, people must turn to each other to survive. But for one neighbourhood the catastrophe brings surprising new beginnings. Julie, the dancer who lives across the street, helps Boris, an eccentric Russian mathematician, save his fish from the cold weather. And the urbane Michel and Simon open their door to Alexis, their embittered neighbour, and his son. But will the ice storm bring the boy's parents back together? Hilarious and heartwarming, Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather reminds us that happy endings might still be possible.

Review: I liked the first two thirds but sadly didn't like the last third. It got preachy and a bit schmaltzy I thought and predictable .. like the writer had one eye on the screenplay (and he is a screenplay writer so he may well have). I really liked the beginning although always preferred it when the narration was with ten year old whatsisname? .. well actually he never tells us his name but him anyway. Things are falling apart at home and, on the spur of the moment, he calls out to the sky to help him and it does so by causing an ice storm which wreaks havoc in the suburbs of Montreal. Consequently the community pull together and all sorts of rifts are mended and new chances and opportunities given .. some of these I just couldn't buy though, it was all too convenient.

Beautiful stripper Julie (I know the synopsis says dancer and I'm sure dancing was involved but we're not talking Darcey Bussell here ;)) spends almost the entire book scantily clad (despite the zero temps and being at home and all) and continuously baring her .. voluptuous of course .. breasts. I couldn't quite get my head around why she was there apart from the screenplay opportunities. She has got into the habit of thinking all men are pigs (and really .. I do have sympathy ;)) so when she comes into contact with Boris (a Russian mathematician only interested in his fish theory) and he doesn't stare or make lewd comments she's amazed to find that there are decent men on the planet who don't ogle you. Well news alert Julie .. check that man for a pulse if he hasn't noticed that he's sharing a very small room with your tremendous fully exposed assets .. I don't believe he exists :D No, but Julie likes to wear high heels and tight red dresses and barely there négligée's and I couldn't help thinking that old Pierre was just writing his fantasies down .. nothing wrong in that but it felt out of place here. I would have felt the same if Boris had walked around in nothing but his well filled Calvin Klein's .. like .. what has that to do with the price of fish?

I wasn't keen on anti-Semite and homophobe Alexis either .. or convinced by his change of heart. It's not that I don't think change is possible I just don't think it's quite as rapidly possibly as this, more time and care was needed.

The book has a beautiful cover and it was a quick and mainly enjoyable read so I don't regret the purchase, I thought it could have gone more places though because it began with so much potential. Ah well, never mind.

3/5

It's been on my shelf for ages and I've no idea why, I've only ever heard positive things about it. I must read it this year, your recommendation encourages me :)

And then, if you like that, try her book In the Kitchen, a tremendous read..and you know what?

When I wrote to commend Monica about Brick Lane, she sent me a letter of thanks, and that was tremendous to read.

And then, if you like that, try her book In the Kitchen, a tremendous read..and you know what?

When I wrote to commend Monica about Brick Lane, she sent me a letter of thanks, and that was tremendous to read.

Aww that was lovely of her, I'll definitely look up In the Kitchen .. I like the sound of it already :D

Good review of Bring Up The Bodies Poppyshake. Mantel sounds like an author I should note down for looking at later. How does she compare to Phillipa Gregory ? ( Although I haven't read any of hers either)

Hello dear darling poppyshake, I wish you a very merry and amazing reading year in 2013! :friends3: My NYE resolution this year will be that I won't go a week without reading your log, because otherwise I'll just fall off the wagon and have too many pages to read through and comment (as there's always so much to comment, you read the most interesting books!) at a time :giggle2:

I love your use of colors on your log, it makes them more lickable. Although I will resist the tempation, I can't afford a new laptop!

Byatt, AS - Possession

Eco, Umberto - The Name of the Rose

Child, Julia - My Life in France

Faulks, Sebastian - Faulks on Fiction

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on these, the Eco and Faulks titles are on my TBR, the two other titles are on my wishlist. Possession intimidates me to no end, but I so wish to love the novel... which makes me even more fearful of reading it ... :blush:

Hornby, Nick - About a Boy

Hornby, Nick - A Long Way Down

Hornby, Nick - Juliet Naked

Townsend, Sue - Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years

Townsend, Sue - Adrian Mole & the Weapons of Mass Destruction

Waters, Sarah - Fingersmith

These are jolly good/amazing reads, I hope you shall like them! :)

Books read from the 1001 Books You Must Read before You Die by Peter Boxall - 2006

Progress so far: 118/1001

You're well into the challenge, I'm way behind you! Here's hoping you will read some great books off the list this year (and can then recommend them to the rest of us :giggle2:)

Books I've Bought/Acquired in 2013

Fiction:

Harkaway, Nick - Angelmaker

Irving, John - The World According to Garp

Juster, Norton - The Phantom Tollbooth

Kurkov, Andrey - Death & the Penguin

Lakhous, Amara - Clash of Civilizations Over An Elevator in Piazza Vittorio

Mandery, Evan - Q: A Love Story

Palacio, R.J - Wonder

Ronson, Jon - The Psychopath Test

Szalowski, Pierre - Fish Change Direction in Cold Weather

Toltz, Steve - A Fraction of the Whole

Wiles, Will - Care of Wooden Floors

Winterson, Jeanette - The Daylight Gate

Winterson, Jeanette - Lighthousekeeping

Excellent haul! :D And I can't believe you've already managed to read one novel off the list. The Phantom Tollbooth is briliant (although I haven't finished it yet, I've read it half way twice and loved it), and quite coincidentally I would recommend Death & The Penguin, too! (hehehe). The Psychopath Test and A Fraction of the Whole are on my wishlist... and I know how happy you must be of the Winterson titles!

Non-Fiction:

Bowen, James - A Street Cat Named Bob

Callow, Simon - Charles Dickens

Garnett, Angelica - Deceived with Kindness

Kennedy, A Boy at the Hogarth Press

Longden, Deric - The Cat Who Came in From the Cold

Miles, Sarah - A Right Royal B*stard

Miles, Sarah - Bolt From the Blue

Miles, Sarah - Serves Me Right

Mortimer, Roger & Charlie - Dear Lupin: Letters to a Wayward Son

Orwell, George - Down and out in Paris and London

Excellent titles! I wouldn't mind having them all, although I'm not familiar with the Sarah Miles titles and what they are about.

I also have The Last Family in England which I must read soon as frankie has so highly recommended it!!

Yes frankie's name comes straight to mind whenever I see Last Family in England .. I know it will be good :)

Hehe! Get reading, women! :giggle2:

Looks like a great book selection too, do you deliberately choose books with quirky titles?

I've noticed it, too, that poppyshake goes for quirky titles! They do stick out more, don't they, I think one's more likely to pick those types of books up than the more 'commonly' named ones.

.. though us Sassenachs probably don't know the meaning of warm socks .. you would have that sorted up there Di :D .. but have you got such pretty warm socks?

What are Sassenachs? Excuse my ignorance, please!

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on these, the Eco and Faulks titles are on my TBR, the two other titles are on my wishlist. Possession intimidates me to no end, but I so wish to love the novel... which makes me even more fearful of reading it ... :blush:

While you are waiting for poppyshake's thoughts, I will just tell you that Possession is one of my favourite books of all time, I absolutely loved it. I also enjoyed The Name of the Rose very much indeed! :)

While you are waiting for poppyshake's thoughts, I will just tell you that Possession is one of my favourite books of all time, I absolutely loved it. I also enjoyed The Name of the Rose very much indeed! :)

Thanks, that is encouraging! The thing with Possession that intimidates me is that I once read a few pages of it and it was very wordy and descriptive and there were a lot of big, fancy words :blush: And I fear it might go over my head... But I'm determined to read it in English. Ooshie, was it you who had bought this particular edition? It's extraordinarily beautiful!

Thanks, that is encouraging! The thing with Possession that intimidates me is that I once read a few pages of it and it was very wordy and descriptive and there were a lot of big, fancy words :blush: And I fear it might go over my head... But I'm determined to read it in English. Ooshie, was it you who had bought this particular edition? It's extraordinarily beautiful!

Oh, yes, that is the one I have frankie - I think it is probably the most beautiful book I own! :wub: (kindle? pah!)

Just wanted to chime in on Possession . I read it back when it came out so many years ago,and it is, in my opinion,very wordy and hard to get into in the beginning. I'd also describe the writing as DRY,although once you get started on it and more into the story, you get used to the wording and the dryness,and it really is a really good book.

Just an adjustment ,I think .

It'd kinda be like reading Tom Sawyer,then reading War & Peace .You gotta totally change gears and go in another direction .

Edited by julie

Oh, yes, that is the one I have frankie - I think it is probably the most beautiful book I own! :wub: (kindle? pah!)

It would have to be, I can't imagine a more beautiful book! Yay, I'm glad you can never fully go to the dark side for the rest of your life with the Kindle, because you'll always have this book to keep you at least partly with us tree bookkers :giggle2:

Just wanted to chime in on Possession . I read it back when it came out so many years ago,and it is, in my opinion,very wordy and hard to get into in the beginning. I'd also describe the sriting as DRY,although once you get started on it and more into the story, you get used to the wording and the dryness,and it really is a really good book.

It'd kinda be like reading Tom Sawyer,then reading War & Peace .You gotta totally change gears and go in another direction .

Thanks Julie for the word of encouragement! :friends3: I imagine I will need to wait for the perfect moment to get into the book and not force myself upon it. I'll just have to have all my wits about and not mind looking at the dictionary occasionally... I hope that time comes sooner or later.. :)

Just wanted to chime in on Possession . I read it back when it came out so many years ago,and it is, in my opinion,very wordy and hard to get into in the beginning. I'd also describe the sriting as DRY,although once you get started on it and more into the story, you get used to the wording and the dryness,and it really is a really good book.

Looks like I thought some of it was a bit dry, too! Found my review:

"Two contemporary academics discover a mystery involving two Victorian poets, and this book unravels the mystery by intertwining the present-day stories with those from the past. The writing is beautiful and brings both past and present to life, and I became more and more involved in the book as it went on, until I reached the ending in tears. As I had expected this book to be a bit dry, that came as something of a surprise to me!

The book includes the correspondence between the two Victorian poets, as well as their (sometimes very long) poems, and I can applaud the writer's skill in bringing such true voices to her characters. However, to me, I actually found these hard going to read and would have enjoyed the book more without them - when I come to reread it, I will just skim over the letters, and probably not read the poems at all.

Overall, though, a lovely book and a greatly enjoyable read. "

Good review of Bring Up The Bodies Poppyshake. Mantel sounds like an author I should note down for looking at later. How does she compare to Phillipa Gregory ? ( Although I haven't read any of hers either)

I don't know VF, I've never read any Phillipa Gregory :blush2: hopefully somebody else has read them and can enlighten us. Note Hilary down anyway, especially for her Wolf Hall trilogy (is it going to be a trilogy? .. there might be more I'm not sure) .. as far as historical fiction is concerned, these are the best I've read (I haven't read much though if I'm honest). I've read some of her other books and they've been a bit hit and miss so, like Jeanette Winterson, you have to take the rough with the smooth (bet they'd be so pleased with my description of their work :D).

Hello dear darling poppyshake, I wish you a very merry and amazing reading year in 2013!

Hello gorgeous girl :friends0: Thank you very much for your kind wishes, I'm sending them right back at you with a cherry on top :)

My NYE resolution this year will be that I won't go a week without reading your log, because otherwise I'll just fall off the wagon and have too many pages to read through and comment (as there's always so much to comment, you read the most interesting books!) at a time.

Well you're always very much welcome but try not to stress, a lot of it is waffle so it's a bit like Eastenders (a soap opera you've mercifully been saved from) you can pick up with it months later and find you haven't missed a thing. The only difference is .. I don't tend to murder anyone on Christmas Day :D

I love your use of colors on your log, it makes them more lickable. Although I will resist the tempation, I can't afford a new laptop!

I am all for making logs more lickable ( :giggle:) though I would advise against it, I licked Kylie's booklog yesterday and it made my eyebrows crackle.

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on these, the Eco and Faulks titles are on my TBR, the two other titles are on my wishlist. Possession intimidates me to no end, but I so wish to love the novel... which makes me even more fearful of reading it ...

I really should crack on with the Faulks. When the TV series was on I was flicking through the book with each episode. I should have stuck with it but you know what it's like?, Colin Firth wandered by or something and mentally I wandered off. The postman bought a new book probably and poor Sebastian got dropped on his head in the rush to open it. Possession is a bit of an animal isn't it? I suppose it's no larger than other (large :giggle:) novels but it's her that's making me nervous. I've read The Children's Book and whilst I thought it was great, it was quite taxing .. mentally I had to be sharp and with it (and that's not my default setting :D). I think Alan had to make the dinner for the four weeks it took me to finish it and I remember forgetting birthdays and having trouble with zips. I couldn't apply my own mascara (I may have gone too far there ..) so the thought that this might be similarly demanding is a bit daunting (plus I think Alan may have hidden it :D) I've heard nothing but good things about The Name of the Rose so that's the one I'm most likely to tackle first of the three.

These are jolly good/amazing reads, I hope you shall like them!

I have liked all of Nick Hornby's and Sarah Water's so far and I love the Adrian Mole books so I reckon I'm on safeish ground. Not viewing them quite as suspiciously as the Byatt anyway.

You're well into the challenge, I'm way behind you! Here's hoping you will read some great books off the list this year (and can then recommend them to the rest of us.)

Yes, but you're a lot younger :D I hope I can make a bit more of a dent in it this year. I do have some titles on the shelf so no excuse (except the usual one .. laziness).

Excellent haul! And I can't believe you've already managed to read one novel off the list. The Phantom Tollbooth is briliant (although I haven't finished it yet, I've read it half way twice and loved it), and quite coincidentally I would recommend Death & The Penguin, too! (hehehe). The Psychopath Test and A Fraction of the Whole are on my wishlist... and I know how happy you must be of the Winterson titles!

I'm like a magpie, I'm attracted to all the new shiny books most. Thanks again for sending me Death & the Penguin *huggles* .. it's going to be great isn't it? It says 'darkly funny' on the blurb and that's the sort of funny I like, although all sorts of 'funny' are good .. except 'custard pie funny' .. I haven't laughed at that since I was nine but I wouldn't rule it out if it was being applied to the right face :D

Excellent titles! I wouldn't mind having them all, although I'm not familiar with the Sarah Miles titles and what they are about.

My niece Louise bought me all three of Sarah Miles' biogs because she enjoyed them so much so I'm expecting Sarah to be a bit of a mad bint because basically Lou likes reading about eccentric weird people. She liked Running With Scissors a lot :D

I don't know where the term comes from but Sassenachs are what the Scots sometimes call us wimpy Englishfolk

Well, like frankie, I'm encouraged Oosh .. chances are I'll be able to read it and function normally ... ish :D

I don't know VF, I've never read any Phillipa Gregory :blush2: hopefully somebody else has read them and can enlighten us.

IMO Phillipa Gregory is OK, but not within a million miles of Mantel. Gregory is primarily plot driven, but her characters are somewhat 2D at times. Mantel's characterisation is superb, whilst her plots are at least as strong. Once I'd read Mantel, I couldn't go back to Gregory's writing - felt way too thin.

Possession is a bit of an animal isn't it? I suppose it's no larger than other (large :giggle:) novels but it's her that's making me nervous.
And that comes from someone who loves Virginia Woolf, and really enjoyed Wolf Hall! I must admit, I'm relishing the prospect - there's nothing better than a book with plenty to get your teeth into (David Copperfield is providing said sustenance at the moment!)

I've heard nothing but good things about The Name of the Rose so that's the one I'm most likely to tackle first of the three.

Another really meaty read where you need to keep your wits about you.

I've got the same edition. I collect Folio Society books, and agree that this is one of the lovelier ones.

A Sassenach is what the Scots call the English, usually if they want to be rude about them*. Comes from the Gaelic for 'Saxon'.

*Sorry - was writing this whilst poppyshake was posting her answer.

Edited by willoyd

Just wanted to chime in on Possession . I read it back when it came out so many years ago,and it is, in my opinion,very wordy and hard to get into in the beginning. I'd also describe the writing as DRY,although once you get started on it and more into the story, you get used to the wording and the dryness,and it really is a really good book.

Thanks Julie, I need to be in the right headspace .. might need to put that on the calendar :D Sounds like I'll need to stick to just the one book when I'm reading it and not try my usual trick of having two or three on the go.

[/font] IMO Phillipa Gregory is OK, but not within a million miles of Mantel. Gregory is primarily plot driven, but her characters are somewhat 2D at times. Mantel's characterisation is superb, whilst her plots are at least as strong. Once I'd read Mantel, I couldn't go back to Gregory's writing - felt way too thin.

Ahhh .. interesting. I've gone straight to the good stuff .. marvellous :)

And that comes from someone who loves Virginia Woolf, and really enjoyed Wolf Hall! I must admit, I'm relishing the prospect - there's nothing better than a book with plenty to get your teeth into (David Copperfield is providing said sustenance at the moment!)

True, very true. The main struggle I had with The Children's Book was keeping tabs on the vast amount of characters, I had to write them down in the end. The same could be said of Wolf Hall but you know most of them anyway so it's not too much of a problem. I do feel daunted by Woolf of course but my admiration for her makes me try that little bit harder (plus I've set myself a challenge now so I can't bail (bale?) out :D) Hope you're enjoying David Copperfield. Dickens is not known for writing books with small character casts either :D but he's so descriptive that somehow they all stick in your head. Great story anyway :)

Another really meaty read where you need to keep your wits about you.

Once you find them that is :giggle2:

A Sassenach is what the Scots call the English, usually if they want to be rude about them*. Comes from the Gaelic for 'Saxon'.

*Sorry - was writing this whilst poppyshake was posting her answer.

You gave us more of a definition though.

Hope you're enjoying David Copperfield. Dickens is not known for writing books with small character casts either :D but he's so descriptive that somehow they all stick in your head. Great story anyway :)

Absolutely loving it. I can't believe I tried this three or four years ago and failed to finish, but I think it was at a time when I couldn't manage more than a few pages at a time, and one needs time for Dickens. I'm not sure about the story actually (a bit of a soap opera - you just know a disaster is just around every corner, especially just after good news!), but the characters are just amazing, made all the greater by the sheer density of population; I can't think of any other author so assured at dealing with such a vast array of humanity, and who created so many iconic individuals (Peggotty, Mr Dick, Uriah Heep, Mr Micawber, Aunt Trotwood, the Murdstones, Steerforth, and so on and so on). Now if you want to talk of big books......! Currently about 40% of the way through: David has just taken out chambers in London and is trying out becoming a proctor, after returning from his first visit to Yarmouth since a little boy.

Edited by willoyd