Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

declineandfall.jpg
Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh

Amazon Synopsis
: Sent down from Oxford in outrageous circumstances, Paul Pennyfeather is oddly surprised to find himself qualifying for the position of schoolmaster at Llanabba Castle. His colleagues are an assortment of misfits, rascals and fools, including Prendy (plagued by doubts) and Captain Grimes, who is always in the soup (or just plain drunk). Then Sports Day arrives, and with it the delectable Margot Beste-Chetwynde, floating on a scented breeze. As the farce unfolds and the young run riot, no one is safe, least of all Paul.

Review: I feel a bit bad actually ... giving this only a 3 :blush2: It probably deserves more and it could be that my present reading reluctance had something to do with why it started to irritate me over the final few hurdles :D It started off well, it's quite biting and witty as you might expect .. plus it's a little bit silly and enjoyably unbelievable (a good deal of buffoonery etc) but just as I was beginning to relish it, it pushed it's luck and began to weary me. I liked the story of how Paul inadvertently found himself teaching ... and though it seemed enormously far fetched I couldn't help being reminded of how Stephen Fry was taken on at a prep school .. having only just come out of prison (this was before his Cambridge days) and having only a loose knowledge of some of the subjects he was employed to teach (in particular he had to referee football matches with no knowledge whatsoever of the rules etc) so though deliciously absurd .. there's probably a grain of truth in what Evelyn's relating. Written in the 1920's and sometimes containing language to make you wince (racial terms etc). It's quite diverting and definitely worth the read .. it's just not quite as sparkling as I thought it would be. 3/5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

silverbay.jpg
Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes

Amazon Synopsis: Liza McCullen will never escape her past. But the unspoilt beaches and tight-knit community of Silver Bay offer the freedom and safety she craves - if not for herself, then for her young daughter, Hannah. Until Mike Dormer arrives as a guest in her aunt's hotel, and the peace of Silver Bay is shattered. The mild-mannered Englishman with his too-smart clothes and disturbing eyes could destroy everything Liza has worked so hard to protect: not only the family business and the bay that harbours her beloved whales, but also her conviction that she will never love - never deserve to love - again.

Review: I hope I'm not a book snob :blush2: (you would tell me wouldn't you?) but I feel slightly ashamed of scoring this higher than the Waugh. Because it is quite cliched and predictable. My mark is for the sheer enjoyability of reading it .. the characters were interesting and the story very readable. There's a twist of sorts .. well I suppose you would call it more of a kink .. that I saw coming from miles away and the story is nothing new .. it's all quite 'Local Hero' actually but the setting is gorgeous and it was like the literary equivalent of a cool towel on your head when sick ... it refreshed me and made me turn pages without noticing. Absolutely ideal as a beach/holiday read. 4/5

Will have to get Silver Bay to add to my Jojo Moyes collection, I thought I had this one but its Horse Dancer I have.. I am rather fond of her writing, which shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who knows my new puppy's name!

Ahh I didn't know puppy was named after that Jojo .. very cute :) Hope you enjoy it too chalie :)

Ahh I didn't know puppy was named after that Jojo .. very cute :) Hope you enjoy it too chalie :)

Well, to be honest she's not exactly named after her, but it was a deciding factor. :) I just ordered the book, which will take me over 50 books but I'll make an effort to finish the Nora Roberts I'm currently reading before it arrives!  It was only £3.85 on Amazon so I couldn't resist!  :P

Have you read any of her other books?  :smile:

Well, to be honest she's not exactly named after her, but it was a deciding factor. :) I just ordered the book, which will take me over 50 books but I'll make an effort to finish the Nora Roberts I'm currently reading before it arrives!  It was only £3.85 on Amazon so I couldn't resist!  :P

Have you read any of her other books?  :smile:

I haven't no but I will look out for her now :) .. someone to add to my list .. just what I need :roll2:  :D

lesmis.jpg
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Amazon Synopsis
: Redemption and faith change the course of a man's life in this classic French novel, set against the backdrop of the French Revolution. Escaped convict Jean Valjean seeks to outwit his nemesis and redeem his past in this story about the difference faith makes in the life of an individual.

Review: Phew!! .. have I finished it? :yahoo: .. let's have a party! :party:  :D It's detailed .. incredibly detailed. He doesn't just give you a rough outline of a place or a person, he gives you an in-depth critique. It's not enough to know their appearance and habits, you must know their thoughts, strengths, weaknesses, secrets and what shaped them into the humans they are today etc etc. It's not just people either, it's places, languages, uprisings, infrastructures (I could have done with knowing less about the sewers :D) and even practices. You can spend chapters and chapters in amongst these details .. it got to the point where I was constantly looking over my shoulder to see if I could still see the main thrust of the story and peering ahead to see when it might be coming back. I think overall this gives you a lot of nourishment but it can be incredibly wearing and tbh .. had I been reading it and not listening .. it would have been laid down a lot. In short .. he never writes anything in short :lol:  (so .. I have an affinity with him there :D) I particularly liked it when he said he wouldn't be giving us an account of the Naploeonic War .. that was for other pens etc .. and then he continues on to give, what I would call, a thoroughly detailed account of it :D He has a very satirical eye though and so, not unlike Dickens, the story is often lifted by his ironical observations.

That's the niggles and they would probably be enough to sink a lesser book, but this is an absolute tour-de-force. The characters are so vivid and lifelike that you have no difficuty at all in empathising with them. It's not an uplifting read obviously .. this is a tale of the miserables ... even those that aren't weary, poor and oppressed are cast down in some way. These are desperate times and when one cloud dissipates another takes it's place. Like Dickens the scope is huge .. he's not just skimming the surface he's exploring the underbelly of society where all the worms and maggots crawl (ewwww .. I've revolted myself now). It's an enormous undertaking to read it/listen to it and keep track of all the trailing threads but so rewarding when you do.

I have seen the film and enjoyed it hugely but this is another kettle of fish .. you have to almost put to one side what you know and start anew because some of the characters differ quite extensively from their film counterparts (so much more detail etc) .. however I'm glad I saw the film first. I didn't want to, but it would've meant giving up my chance to see it on the big screen and I couldn't do that  :no: It was good to fix in your mind the characters too .. that helped although, as I said, some of these are quite different. The biggest difference is in Eponine (probably my favourite character in the film and the one I shed the most tears for) in the book she is a creature quite different .. equally heart breaking but not the character played by the beautiful Sam Barks .. she is so broken down by what life has thrown at her that she's barely recognisable as a woman. Even out walking I had tears running down my face at her plight .. there's something just so tragic about it.

So, anyway .. listening to it is an ideal way to read it if you've struggled with it or think you may struggle. Failing that it would make an excellent desert island book because the lack of distractions would help. Alas you don't often get notice on what to pack if you're shipwrecked but fingers crossed that the captain has this on his bedside table and that you have a couple of days to swim out to the wreck before it completely submerges .. perchance there'd be a keg of brandy as well .. I'd pick that up as well (just tips .. but you might thank me for them one day :giggle:). If you only find a copy of Madame Bov .. leave it there .. or your problems will multiply and you will wonder why you never knocked the captain on the head and threw him overboard when you had the chance. (It is entirely apt that I've wandered off .. and I've nourished you as well so a fitting tribute I think :D)

I am wrestling with myself whether to deduct a point or not? There were so many times that it exasperated me but the overall impression was one of utter enthrallment so I'm not going to. 5/5

My sister tells me I simply must see the show .. she's seen it umpty times and hated the film :o .. consequently she won't be happy until I've seen the musical and denounced the film as worthless trash. This I will never do but I do still want to go (but the next time she starts .. I'll say .. 'yes .. but have you read the book? .. no? .. well the book is better than all of them so .. take that and party!!' :party:  ;)  :blush2:  :D (you will know if I've said this from the distant rumblings and the fact that you will probably .. never see me again :D)

I haven't no but I will look out for her now :) .. someone to add to my list .. just what I need :roll2:  :D

Hee hee!! :giggle:

Many peeps on here loved her 'Me Before You', not as smushy as the cover suggests, but I also loved 'The Girl You Left Behind', set in modern day and the First World War, two of my favourite time frames! :)

A huge congrats poppy, that book intimidates me with its size. I've picked it up numerous times but never had the gute to purchase it. I think my fragile would run away from home permanently if I did.

Hee hee!! :giggle:

Many peeps on here loved her 'Me Before You', not as smushy as the cover suggests, but I also loved 'The Girl You Left Behind', set in modern day and the First World War, two of my favourite time frames! :)

Mine too so I will definitely look out for that one .. thanks chalie :) I've heard good things about Me Before You and see it quite often so no doubt it will soon come hope to sit on my shelves :D

A huge congrats poppy, that book intimidates me with its size. I've picked it up numerous times but never had the gute to purchase it. I think my fragile would run away from home permanently if I did.

Thanks Devi .. it could be said I copped out I suppose by not tackling it myself but I don't think it would've got read otherwise. Consequently I didn't struggle half so much with the detail and had no trouble at all with my French pronunciations :D

Holy Smokes Pops

THAT is one large book isn't it ? It's also on my list of "someday I'm gonna read that " .  I've started it umpteen times myself and never gotten very far . Maybe someday .

The beginning is the hardest part to get past ... I was ten chapters in and they hadn't mentioned any of the principle characters. I knew I'd never get it read if I didn't listen. Alan is now telling me to read The Hunchback of Notre Dame and whilst I know it's not anything like as long .. I don't think I can face Victor again quite so soon :blush2: 

I've just checked ... the total running time for Les Miserables unabridged is 57 hours and 51 mins :o .. so practically 58 hours!!!!! No wonder I felt exhausted by it :D

Wowee!  I wish I could listen to book CDs, but I either can't concentrate on what I'm doing, or the book.  Tunnel vision.  That's me.  :giggle2:

I have it, and your great review makes me want to get to it!  /sigh/

Wowee!  I wish I could listen to book CDs, but I either can't concentrate on what I'm doing, or the book.  Tunnel vision.  That's me.  :giggle2:

I have it, and your great review makes me want to get to it!  /sigh/

I did listen when doing chores but mostly I was out walking and it was perfect for that (I must have walked for almost 58 hours then since starting it ... :D .. ooh well done me :D) Audio's aren't for everyone I know but I've always enjoyed listening to them. 

Hope you get around to reading it one day pont :) 

Great review of Silverbay. I have this one on my shelves, I actually have four books by Jojo Moyes on my shelf but I haven't yet read any of them. I really should do so sometime.

Will have to get Silver Bay to add to my Jojo Moyes collection, I thought I had this one but its Horse Dancer I have.. I am rather fond of her writing, which shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who knows my new puppy's name!

Well sone on Les Mis Pops, I'd love to read it but I think I'd only like it if it was like the movie (I've not seen the stage play either), and ideally Hugh Jackman would be doing the reading... in a chair next to me, so I can gaze at him while he reads..... mmmmmmmm  :wub:  :wub: :wub:

Sorry, getting carried away there!  :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:

Edited by chaliepud

Great review of Silverbay. I have this one on my shelves, I actually have four books by Jojo Moyes on my shelf but I haven't yet read any of them. I really should do so sometime.

x x

I know what it's like .. too many books and not enough time :( If this one was anything to go by then they're easy to read and easy to get into .. ideal for reading during the read-a-thon actually :) 

Congrats on finishing Les Misérables! I have a version split into two volumes, so two books instead of one. Like Devi it also intimidates me. Hopefully I'll read it at some point but I plan to read other, shorter, easier, etc., classics first. Great review :)!

Thank you. As always with these things it's a book to get into when you feel the time is right .. you'll know best when this is :) Two books is good .. less heavy (though are you talking Kindle?? :D)

Well sone on Les Mis Pops, I'd love to read it but I think I'd only like it if it was like the movie (I've not seen the stage play either), and ideally Hugh Jackman would be doing the reading... in a chair next to me, so I can gaze at him while he reads..... mmmmmmmm  :wub:  :wub: :wub:

Sorry, getting carried away there!  :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:

I've just watched the 25th anniversary concert (so I'm all Les Mizzed out :D) and I thought I was just as entitled to take a bow at the end of it as they were :D

Hugh Jackman would have been a good choice to read it .. it wasn't him though :( .. it was someone called Frederick Davidson (and no .. I haven't heard of him either :D) He was very good but I could hear him breathing occasionally (which I'm sure is good news for him but wasn't so good for listening purposes :giggle:). It was a mammoth task though so he could be excused for getting occasionally puffed.

The film is like the book .. only with all the incidental stuff taken out (so a quarter of the book in other words :D)

Just the show left now :smile: 

Is there an abridged version? :D

There is of course (and .. though I don't normally like abridged versions, in this case it probably works a treat). I've just looked it up and Frederick again reads but this time for only 12 hours :o .. gracious .. they've cut loads .. possibly now it bears a very great resemblance to the film :D

Hmm I might give that a go.. Though I am generally rubbish with audios as I normally forget I'm listening and wander off! :D I know people that listen when they are walking their dogs but I'd hate not being able to hear people approaching.. Ninja joggers are bad enough! :D

I tell you what is bad and that's cars. The park I walk in is mainly for pedestrians but maintenance trucks often drive past and when you're listening to an audio you often don't hear them coming up behind you :o .. also bikes can be a real problem because I do tend to wander from one side of the path to another and you rely on your sense of hearing to know they're approaching. Crossing roads too .. I'm less attentive when listening and that's not good obviously.  

I know what it's like .. too many books and not enough time :( If this one was anything to go by then they're easy to read and easy to get into .. ideal for reading during the read-a-thon actually :) 

x

I've put Me Before You on the TBR-soon, it was on there a while ago but I didn't read it. I guess I feel like reading that one first, because it's the first one I bought (if that makes sense?).

x

Thank you. As always with these things it's a book to get into when you feel the time is right .. you'll know best when this is :) Two books is good .. less heavy (though are you talking Kindle?? :D)

x

They're two paperback books from Wordsworth, though I think I own the Kindle version as well.

Edited by Athena