• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gatsby.jpg

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Amazon Synopsis: The world and his mistress are at Jay Gatsby's party. But Gatsby stands apart from the crowd, isolated by a secret longing. In between sips of champagne his guests speculate about their mysterious host. Some say he's a bootlegger. Others swear he was a German spy during the war. They lean in and whisper 'he killed a man once'. Just where is Gatsby from and what is the obsession that drives him?

Review: There's not much more to say other than I loved it :D Alan had nagged me for years to read it and I'd avoided but .. unlike Carter Beats the Devil .. there were a million other reasons to give it a go. It's on all the lists of course and it's also one of those books that nearly everybody asks you if you've read and I was fed up of being shame faced about it. All the same I thought I'd be bored, I got it into my head that it was 'a man's book' .. whatever one of those is and was convinced it'd be tedious. I looked forward to yawning over it and saying when pressed (which I knew he would soon start doing) that it was 'ok' :blush2: He may have asked I don't know .. I was too engrossed to notice  :readingtwo: 

I love the era so that was particularly exciting and I love books that brood and are quite suspenseful (as long as I've got a grip on the characters). I could tell it was building to a climax ... the pages were crackling long before the end (that may have just been my copy though :D) and it became simply unputdownable. I love the way he shows you all the opulence and then breaks it down to show the shallowness and superficiality underneath. I didn't expect to be so moved by it though and felt quite wounded by the end. Actually I had thought I was quite ambivalent about the characters .. my own reaction surprised me. The only thing I thought could have been improved was the character of the narrator Nick .. I didn't really feel he was fleshed out enough initially but I think that was probably intentional .. the focus is all on Gatsby. 4/5

I haven't seen the recent film yet .. I wanted to read the book first but it's definitely on my TBW.

miceandmen.jpg

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Amazon Synopsis: Streetwise George and his big, childlike friend Lennie are drifters, searching for work in the fields and valleys of California. They have nothing except the clothes on their back, and a hope that one day they'll find a place of their own and live the American dream. But dreams come at a price. Gentle giant Lennie doesn't know his own strength, and when they find work at a ranch he gets into trouble with the boss's daughter-in-law. Trouble so bad that even his protector George may not be able to save him.

Review: This was another classic that had long remained on my shelves unread though strangely .. when reading it .. the story seemed familiar?? Maybe I had seen the film in the dim and distant. Again I loved it and again it was very suspenseful and brooding and chugging away towards a climax that you knew wasn't going to be agreeable. I was hoping that George and Lennie would eventually live out their American dream but ... well .. I won't spoil it for you but suffice it to say that you won't be putting up bunting by the end of it. It's only a short story but still very powerful with a lot to say about the poor and outcast. The ending packs a huge punch as well because, although I knew where we were heading, I didn't have a clue about the final twist. Emotive stuff .. I'd like to read more from John. 4/5

We read Of Mice and Men at school along with Steinbeck's The Pearl.  I did enjoy OMAM, but loved The Pearl, so I'd recommend that one for you to try next. :)

Thanks Claire .. I've made a note of it. I had read that a lot of people hate OMAM because of having to study it at school .. glad to see that's not the case with you :)

theknot.jpg
The Knot by Mark Watson

Synopsis: Dominic Kitchen is a wedding photographer. Every Saturday since his career began in the sixties he has photographed a bride and groom on the happiest day of their lives, captured the moment they tied the knot forever, and then faded away into the background. But throughout his life, Dominic has felt a knot inside him tighten, threatening his own chance of a happy ever after. And as the years go by, it becomes more difficult to ignore, until the ties that bind threaten to tear him apart.

Review: I like Mark Watson's comedy so had a fair idea of the sort of humour that this book would contain. I didn't expect it to be so hard hitting though or that he would explore such dark subjects. I don't want to give away the main plotline .. but it's not something I would usually choose to read about. Having said that, Mark does a wonderful job in taking what is essentially a taboo subject and exploring it in a way that doesn't make you want to gouge your own eyes out :D It's very sensitively done actually which makes you have far more sympathy with the characters concerned than you otherwise might. Plenty of good observational comedy too as you might expect. I was surprised but in a good way. 4/5

markwatson.jpg

Mark Watson .. for those that aren't sure :D

Edited by poppyshake

saraswati.jpg
Saraswati Park by Anjali

Synopsis: As Saraswati Park unfolds, the lives of each of the three characters are thrown into sharp relief by the comical frustrations of family life: annoying relatives, unspoken yearnings and unheard grievances. When Lakshmi loses her only brother, she leaves Bombay for a relative's home to mourn not only the death of a sibling but also the vital force of her marriage. Ashish, meanwhile, embarks on an affair with a much richer boy in his college; it ends abruptly. Not long afterwards, he succumbs to the overtures of his English tutor, Narayan. As Mohan scribbles away in the sort of books he secretly hopes to write one day, he worries about whether his wife will return, what will become of Ashish's life, and if he himself will ever find his own voice to write from the margins about the centre of which he will never be a part. Elliptical and enigmatic, but beautifully rendered and wonderfully involving, Saraswati Park is a book about love and loss and the noise in our heads – and how, in spite of everything, life, both lived and imagined, continues.

Review: I didn't enjoy this quite as much as I was hoping. Initially I found it interesting but it became a bit of a slog to get through and I was glad in the end to finish. I was mostly interested in Mohan .. the letter writer. He particularly liked collecting second hand books with annotated margins and I felt a bit of a bond with him there as frankie once sent me a copy of an Iris Murdoch that she'd heavily annotated which was instantly more exciting than any old plain copy would have been. I thought there was a whole subtext there if only I could work it out :) Mohan is a frustrated writer but he never does much more than scribble a few things down. His nephew Ashish comes to stay in order to study for his final year at college (a year he's had to repeat because of lack of commitment) and Mohan and his wife Lakshmi do all they can to make him feel at home but Ashish's mind is wandering .. in the particular direction of a boy in class .. and soon he's pre-occupied and neglecting his studies once again. Interesting themes .. well explored and well written. Ultimately though it was one of those stories that just sort of plodded and almost petered out ...... like .. this rev ..  :D 3/5

Pops

Isn't that a disappointment when a book sounds so good, and has all the things you like in it, but when reading it, it doesn't come across as you thought it would ?  You certainly have such a wide selection of books you like. I always like reading your reviews ,as they are usually funny ,and you pick so many books I've never heard of before .Maybe they are more available there than here ? Or maybe you have lots more neat bookstores that have a better selection .We really don't have much close to us .No bookstores in our town, one used bookstore the next town over. The nearest new books -store is about a 30 minute drive away and I rarely go there. The older I  get the less I like driving on the highway. ( I drive like a little old lady ,but it could be because I AM one ) ,so lots of traffic makes me a nervous wreck. I could take a picnic lunch out and sit down in the middle of our road and eat ,and not have to get up for a car one time.

We have a used bookstore half an hour in the other direction ,but someone new bought it and it has pretty much gone to pot .. they aren't very organized  ,the place is pretty messy and dusty, so it's like shopping for books in a coal mine .

I can highly recommend The Grapes of Wrath. It took me a little while to get into it, partly because I stupidly left my copy at an airport and didn't get around to getting another copy for at least six months! But after I got another copy, I found it much easier to get into. Like Of Mice and Men, it's not a particularly cheery read (that might be understating it; it's not cheery at all), but it has become one of my all-time faves.

Pops

Isn't that a disappointment when a book sounds so good, and has all the things you like in it, but when reading it, it doesn't come across as you thought it would ?

It is :( but then not all books can be gems and someone else will probably think it's a corker :D

You certainly have such a wide selection of books you like. I always like reading your reviews ,as they are usually funny ,and you pick so many books I've never heard of before.

Thanks Julie :friends0: .. it's very kind of you to say so :blush2:

Maybe they are more available there than here ? Or maybe you have lots more neat bookstores that have a better selection .We really don't have much close to us .No bookstores in our town, one used bookstore the next town over. The nearest new books -store is about a 30 minute drive away and I rarely go there. The older I  get the less I like driving on the highway. ( I drive like a little old lady ,but it could be because I AM one ) ,so lots of traffic makes me a nervous wreck. I could take a picnic lunch out and sit down in the middle of our road and eat ,and not have to get up for a car one time.

We are lucky in having plenty of bookstores but the independents are dwindling at an alarming rate :( I do love to browse in Waterstone's though and so still put my hand in occasionally to feed it .. I'd HATE to lose it (the bookshop that is .. not my hand .. but then obviously I'd HATE to lose my hand too .. it's been so useful for page turning and cake holding over the years :D) I fed it this week actually .. or rather Alan did on my behalf (and it was ALL, ALL, Claire's fault :giggle:) .. more of that later.

I can't drive at all so anyone that can get in a car and reverse out of a parking space has my complete respect :D

We have a used bookstore half an hour in the other direction ,but someone new bought it and it has pretty much gone to pot .. they aren't very organized  ,the place is pretty messy and dusty, so it's like shopping for books in a coal mine .

Oh that's not good :no: .. the books suffer in those conditions :( We have quite a few secondhand shops which sell all manner of things .. clothes and bric-a-brac and whatnot but plenty of books too and you can often find really good hardly used (perhaps NEVER used :o) copies .. there must be some very undeserving book recipients in the country .. but then at least they're benevolent :D

I can highly recommend The Grapes of Wrath. It took me a little while to get into it, partly because I stupidly left my copy at an airport and didn't get around to getting another copy for at least six months! But after I got another copy, I found it much easier to get into. Like Of Mice and Men, it's not a particularly cheery read (that might be understating it; it's not cheery at all), but it has become one of my all-time faves.

This is not the first time I've heard it but obviously your recommendation raises it in my estimation considerably :yes: On the one hand I'm frustrated I've not read more classics but on the other .. woohoo!! .. there are still gems to come :)

I quite like 'uncheery' books .. I love to wallow and empathise and generally feel bad about the world and all its inhabitants :D .. then I buy a bun and everything's ok again :D

Even though I have somewhat lost my reading mojo .. I've found I haven't lost my appetite for buying books :blush2: .. it would be good it the two came together .. then maybe by the time my mojo came back I would have saved up enough to buy curtains or shoes but no .. that part of my brain .. the bit which wants nearly ever book it sees :giggle: is still working fine. What you have to understand though is that this was **ALL CLAIRE'S FAULT** :D 

mybooks.jpg

Alan and I went for a coffee with lovely Claire on Monday and on our way out of the coffee shop (which just happens to be situated IN Waterstone's :D) we came across a table of Vintage children's fiction. Alan said .. pointing at the The Dark is Rising .. 'that's an interesting cover' .. and I began stroking it as I normally do when given any encouragement to like a book. Claire immediately says 'oh .. it's really good .. I've read it' .. straight away I want it .. more than anything and as Claire fills us in on just how good it is .. Alan picks it up and looks to be heading towards the checkout. Then he says ... but it's only £6.99 and I need to spend £10.00 to get another stamp which will give you a £10.00 voucher. This is music to my ears .. possibly I could buy a greetings card or something (ha .. who am I kidding and anyway perhaps that wouldn't count) but this is a bookshop .. and it's full of books .. most of which I want. Claire and I wander off to look at the general fiction and then I see Beautiful Ruins .. which is on my wishlist .. 'I keep picking that up' says Claire (she's said the magic words again :D) and this time the assistant chimes in .. 'Oh that's a brilliant read!' .. well that settles it then I MUST have it .. Alan tells us that well .. she would say that wouldn't she but no the assistant says it was indeed exceptionally good but now I'm faced with a dilemma .. it has a sticker on saying 'buy one get one half price' .. hmmm obviously you don't have to take any notice of it .. it's just a sprat to catch a mackerel etc ... and haven't I got a TBR stuffed to the gills (why all the fishy references :confused:) with books that were only ever bought to make up a deal? :yes: .. but both Claire and I spy another book that we've both been eyeing (in fact I do believe Claire pointed this one out) The Newlyweds .. it sort of has a similar cover to Beautiful Ruins and hoorah! .. it also has the magic sticker on the front :D Alan cannot possibly argue with three insistent book lovers .. and I now have a £10 token which equates to another free book.

Thank you Claire :friends0: .. as I said you part own these books now so when I've read, the two you haven't read, I'll put them to one side for you :) Obviously though I'll now need to take you on all my bookshop visits .. which I hope won't be too inconvenient :D 

We had a lovely day and it was topped off with book presents :boogie: Claire also bought along four of her own books along with three costume drama DVD's to lend me and two custard tarts and it wasn't even my birthday. I don't normally like Monday's but I liked that one :D

Pops , you had a  splendid Monday !

Love the cover of the Newlyweds-- reminds me of the 50's for some reason. Is that when the story takes place ?

I have been eyeing Beautiful Ruins for a REALLY long time. Jess Walter is a terrific writer and seems  to be able to span many types of stories successfully .

I *THINK* the other with the DARK in the title is one I just put on reserve at our library this morning . Neater cover on yours though .

Dontcha just love the buy one get one deal ? That one always sucks me in too, as I'm sure it does everyone. How could anyone resist ?  I'll bet your mojo hasn't completely dissolved or you wouldn't be so excited about these new books. When my mojo takes off running, I don't even want to buy a book ,because I convince myself I have too many already and don't need any more .

Also, are the other small items bookmarks ? 

As for the previous post about Grapes of Wrath ... good grief, what a book . Terrific writing but such an ODD ending . I wont give anything away by saying that. It's nothing you will see coming until you read it yourself . Steinbeck seemed to have that ability to drop you someplace at the end and leave you going WHAT ????

If you are on a Steinbeck roll, you gotta do East of Eden. It blows the others out of the water in my opinion. Best ever .

Then if you are really dragging along after Grapes of Wrath and want something in the same exact direction ,for lack of a better term, try Erskine Caldwell. Good grief, you will wanna reach in those books and yank the characters out by the shirtfronts ...

Such GOOD writing ,both were made into movies MANY years ago ... God's Little Acre and Tobacco Road. There are others but my blood pressure wouldn't handle any more of those .. VERY infuriating characters ,but good stories .

Pops , you had a  splendid Monday !

Love the cover of the Newlyweds-- reminds me of the 50's for some reason. Is that when the story takes place ?

I have been eyeing Beautiful Ruins for a REALLY long time. Jess Walter is a terrific writer and seems  to be able to span many types of stories successfully .

I *THINK* the other with the DARK in the title is one I just put on reserve at our library this morning . Neater cover on yours though .

Dontcha just love the buy one get one deal ? That one always sucks me in too, as I'm sure it does everyone. How could anyone resist ?  I'll bet your mojo hasn't completely dissolved or you wouldn't be so excited about these new books. When my mojo takes off running, I don't even want to buy a book ,because I convince myself I have too many already and don't need any more .

Also, are the other small items bookmarks ? 

As for the previous post about Grapes of Wrath ... good grief, what a book . Terrific writing but such an ODD ending . I wont give anything away by saying that. It's nothing you will see coming until you read it yourself . Steinbeck seemed to have that ability to drop you someplace at the end and leave you going WHAT ????

If you are on a Steinbeck roll, you gotta do East of Eden. It blows the others out of the water in my opinion. Best ever .

Then if you are really dragging along after Grapes of Wrath and want something in the same exact direction ,for lack of a better term, try Erskine Caldwell. Good grief, you will wanna reach in those books and yank the characters out by the shirtfronts ...

Such GOOD writing ,both were made into movies MANY years ago ... God's Little Acre and Tobacco Road. There are others but my blood pressure wouldn't handle any more of those .. VERY infuriating characters ,but good stories .

Oh, groaning, I have always disliked Steinbeck, intensely.  I've tried several books, only completing East of Eden (by the hardest)*

I don't know why, but he just sets my teeth on edge.  BUT, y'all have me thinking about The Grapes of Wrath, especially your remark, Julie, about the ending.  /martyred sigh? :D

*another strange expression.....? :)

Kat

Would definitely be interested in hearing what you thought of the very tip ending. So odd. I'm sure it has some significance ,and I guess I could hazard an answer  as to what ...

I can't imagine trying to plod thru Grapes of Wrath if East of Eden wasn't ringing any bells for you . GoW was SO much slower and more DRY ....Readable, but DRY .

I quite like 'uncheery' books .. I love to wallow and empathise and generally feel bad about the world and all its inhabitants :D .. then I buy a bun and everything's ok again :D

In that case, I think you'll like it. :) Have plenty of buns handy, though. ;)

Lovely books! Oddly enough, I only heard of Beautiful Ruins for the first time today, when I noticed it is going to be reviewed on The Book Club TV show here. The cover is so retro!

It sounds like it's quite dangerous to go book shopping with Claire, so yes, I think you should go shopping together more often!

I know this was aimed at Poppyshake, but I'm also going to take your recommendations on board, Julie. :) Erskine Caldwell could be right up my alley. I'm going to go and look him up now, and check out the movies as well. I've had East of Eden on my TBR pile for such a long time. I can't believe I haven't read it yet.  :(

Oh, groaning, I have always disliked Steinbeck, intensely.  I've tried several books, only completing East of Eden (by the hardest)*

I don't know why, but he just sets my teeth on edge.  BUT, y'all have me thinking about The Grapes of Wrath, especially your remark, Julie, about the ending.  /martyred sigh? :D

I must admit that it surprises me that you don't like Steinbeck! I'm not sure why. Maybe I just can't imagine anyone disliking him (although at the same time, I can see why people wouldn't!)

Kylie

Yes, if you like Steinbeck, you'd like Caldwell, but he makes Steinbeck sound like he's taking Happy Pills .. Caldwell is so doggone depressing , yet good . Writes such interesting characters into his stories ,but they are ALL infuriating.

I think you'll love East of Eden . Beautiful story .

Kat--

Have you tried Travels With Charley ? It makes Steinbeck sound so much different ...interesting to hear how much our country has changed since he took his dog and traveled through several states . Not nearly as dark as his fiction books .

It's really ok if you don't like him --we don't all like the same books and authors, which is a good thing. It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things .