Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

Voltaire - Candide NEW

Hehe, I think I was going to add this, but then I remembered that I already had it on the list. Such a funky read :D

I thought it was going to be stuffy and preachy .. how wrong can you be. It was a riot! :D

Roald Dahl - Matilda NEW

Cornelia Funke - Inkheart

I added these two books this year :) I'd read Inkheart once before, but I loved it more the second time round, quite oddly!

I do intend to re-read but who knows when :shrug: it's such a detailed story that I'm sure I'll get more out of it next time (I did struggle with the sequels though :() It was great to read Matilda at last .. thoroughly lived up to it's excellent reputation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I copy+pasted it on my reading log, I'm not sure if I will get rid of the previous one, though... Hm, did you remove any books? If not, then it's the same list but with new titles, in which case I wouldn't even have to do a lot of editing... :cold:

I didn't remove any books but I'm sure I tinkered with the layout :blush2: .. so that it would match the layout of yours and Kylie's .. it gave me headaches so I wouldn't recommend editing :blush2:  :hide:  :banghead:  :D Thanks for motivating me into updating :flowers2: It's good to look back and realise what great books I've read (even if I'm the only one who thinks so :D) I will be taking your new list to Goodreads later .. of course I will need to learn Finnish to be able to read some of them but I haven't ruled it out (though I'm not hopeful .. I struggled with French and German and Finnish is proper hardcore compared :D)

I'm sure he'd forgive you, you two being old pals ... :D

He's quite busy .. perhaps he won't notice :D

I may have had something to do with it, but it was the Virginia Woolf aspect that did it in the end, I believe :) I still remember the beautiful cover in your edition :)

I had forgotten all about the book .. of course the title makes it intriguing and I had seen the film in the dim and distant .. but it was all lost amongst the sawdust of my brain until you mentioned how much you'd enjoyed it :)

Nothing beats a good binge every now and then :D I think we both went on one... :giggle2: I wonder if Kylie will follow suit or if she'll just ignore it all :giggle2: She can't do that very long, can she, especially when we're talking about it behind her back, but in a way that she can hear and see everything... :D

I was wondering when/if the mistress will get around to it. I think if we get together and nag ask her nicely :D then she just might be inclined to take a peek. She might not gorge herself as much as we have but any new titles would be welcome :yes: 

Oh Mansfield Park, ick! :censored: That one I do not like.

I think maybe Wentworth was being rude because he was so utterly hurt that he'd been rejected before... Men are like that :giggle2:

I know .. he was still smarting about that original rejection and he didn't know that Anne would hear of it (but then that's almost worse ... to say it in a purely disinterested way). He soon saw he was mistaken and indeed Anne had another blooming which has always made me feel hopeful :D 

Or maybe I will grow to love it when I get to the best years of my life, that is, when I get to your age :cool: I mean I'm almost there already!

You've got years and years before you get to that exalted age .. it'll be around the time you start saying 'in my day ....' :D Then you will blow the dust off of your old Wuthering Heights and see it you can't like it any better. I might even do that with Madame Bov .. a sure sign that I have eventually lost my marbles  :D  

:D Do you think they are still there, cowering in the corner of the thread? You'd better go and check :D

They learnt a lesson which everyone here learns eventually .. Poppyshake's recommendations can't be relied on (in books that is .. nobody yet has told me that toast is rubbish :D .. I pity the person who attempts it smiley-angry028.gif :D)

Hope your mojo picks up soon Deborah :friends0: (and Sari .. and Janet .. and Julie .. and all those poor mojoless forum membies that are struggling.)

x

There seem to be quite a few people struggling (myself included but hopefully it won't last long), I wonder why that is..

Great list, poppyshake, I'll have to go through it sometime :).

Off-topic: you know how some people on here have long usernames and people come up with abbreviations? Like chaliepud's chalie sometimes, etc. (This came to me when I was replying to the messages on GR) I started thinking about what one's supposed to call you, if they are too lazy to write 'poppyshake'. First I thought of 'poppy' of course but that doesn't do, at all, because we have another member on here whose username is poppy.

So I though 'shake'. No... :rolleyes: Then I thought pshake. But then I started sounding it in my head and thought 'pee shake'. No, that's not good, either :D I'll have to continue writing poppyshake :giggle2:

Off-topic: you know how some people on here have long usernames and people come up with abbreviations? Like chaliepud's chalie sometimes, etc. (This came to me when I was replying to the messages on GR) I started thinking about what one's supposed to call you, if they are too lazy to write 'poppyshake'. First I thought of 'poppy' of course but that doesn't do, at all, because we have another member on here whose username is poppy.

So I though 'shake'. No... :rolleyes: Then I thought pshake. But then I started sounding it in my head and thought 'pee shake'. No, that's not good, either :D I'll have to continue writing poppyshake :giggle2:

'poop'!?! :D .. 'shakey'!?! .. don't worry I'll answer to anything .. 'Oi!' would do as well :D I sometimes wonder what I'd be called if I'd been reading a different book when registering .. 'Mr Norrell' maybe? .. or 'The Prisoner of Azkaban'? (try shortening that :D) .. I'm glad it wasn't 'Moby Dick' :D

Popshak? :giggle2:

I don't know, ignore me. Its 1am here and I can't sleep. :giggle2:

I can see delirium is setting in Devi... imagine it being 1am there and 4pm here? .. the world is a strange place :D

'poop'!?! :D

I hadn't thought of poop :D But no, that's too smelly... :giggle2:

.. 'shakey'!?! .. don't worry I'll answer to anything .. 'Oi!' would do as well :D I sometimes wonder what I'd be called if I'd been reading a different book when registering .. 'Mr Norrell' maybe? .. or 'The Prisoner of Azkaban'? (try shortening that :D) .. I'm glad it wasn't 'Moby Dick' :D

I can see delirium is setting in Devi... imagine it being 1am there and 4pm here? .. the world is a strange place :D

I like 'Oi!' :D But it's difficult when one's not addressing you directly. Like, if I went to Kylie' log and said Oi Kylie, guess what Oi's done now! :D That would be confusing. Moby Dick? :lol:

I didn't get the 'shakey' joke. I thought it was just someone who's shaking a lot. :shrug: Then I looked it up in the urban dictionary. Oh heck, there are quite a few 'translations'. Which one did you mean?

Perhaps a joint. Or maybe:

"

when a friend lends a hand with a drunk wee: 

"we were taking a three beer wee and just as i finished, my friend reached over and gave me a shakey. i think i liked it!"

"

That would explain the pee shake, wouldn't it...

:lol:

Edit: And that was after reading just the top three... Man, what a versatile word :D Did you guys know all these different meanings?

Edited by frankie

Edit: And that was after reading just the top three... Man, what a versatile word :D Did you guys know all these different meanings?

No :o .. I just thought it meant 'shakes a lot' too .. which could have drunk connotations of course .. of maybe hyper caffeine. Shaking Stevens was always called 'Shakey' (you possibly might have been spared knowing this and him frankie) .. I'm not sure I want to share his nickname .. though I still bop around to 'Merry Christmas Everyone' occasionally :D He had the moves like Elvis ... but I definitely don't so not very apt.

Yes, you see, at least 'Oi's' only got one meaning .. I think :giggle2:  

:D yes .. sorry about that pont. The list is so exhausting .. nobody will have the energy left to read any of them :D 

LOL, no I didn't mean it that way!! I love to see the variety on this board. :readingtwo:

(Last night I asked ex on FB if he knew what 'shakey' meant', we are always teaching each other new words, especially if they're funny. He then asked me where did this come from and I told him about the nickname business. He's reply was, and I quote: 'pee diddy'. :lol:

I'm so sorry that it took this nasty turn! I'm going to have to come back here many times over the weekend and talk about toast and cheesecake :yes::smile2:)

Of the new books you've added, most of them are already on my TBR pile or wish list. :)

I'm one of those who really didn't enjoy The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen. It certainly won't be making my list.  :blush2: 

TBR
Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series
Edward Albee - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Paul Gallico - Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
Thomas Keneally - Schindlers Ark
Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus
Maria Semple - Where'd You Go Bernadette
Lynn Shepherd - Tom All-Alones
Stephen Fry - Moab is My Washpot
Stephen Fry - The Fry Chronicles
Angelica Garnett - Deceived with Kindness
Richard Kennedy - A Boy at the Hogarth Press
Hermione Lee - Virginia Woolf
Oscar Wilde - De Profundis
Virginia Woolf - A Room of Ones Own
Virginia Woolf - Selected Diaries
Virginia Woolf - Selected Letters

Wish List
Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None
Andrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin
Voltaire - Candide
Catherynne M.Valente - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
James Bowen - A Streetcat Named Bob
David Mitchell - Back Story
Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith - Van Gogh: The Life
George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London

Nothing beats a good binge every now and then :D I think we both went on one... :giggle2: I wonder if Kylie will follow suit or if she'll just ignore it all :giggle2: She can't do that very long, can she, especially when we're talking about it behind her back, but in a way that she can hear and see everything... :D

I was wondering when/if the mistress will get around to it. I think if we get together and nag ask her nicely :D then she just might be inclined to take a peek. She might not gorge herself as much as we have but any new titles would be welcome :yes: 

It's weird coming into a thread and seeing people talking about you. :) It feels like eavesdropping, like on TV shows, when one high school girl is in a bathroom stall and then other girls come in and start talking about her. Except bad things aren't being said, thank goodness. ;)

You can nag me all you like about updating my list, but given I've read about 20 books since I wrote my first list—and I can't remember any of them being particularly memorable—it's not likely to change much. I'll have a look at it though.

Miss Poppy

We could shorten it even further by calling you PS . I like Pops ,though ,that's  cute .

When you guys started talking about nicknames, etc , it got me thinking about some of the nicknames people in our little piece of the world have :

Pickle ---Sadly , passed on to the Great Big Bar-Room in the Sky . I asked someone once why they call him that  and all they said was " You Don't Want to Know "  ,so i'm assuming it  is either in reference to an area of his body , or the fact that he was ALWAYS permanently pickled . I doubt they had to use embalming fluid after death . He was already well preserved with the alcohol content he consumed .Good thing he decided against Cremation. Our town could have blown off the map.  DANGEROUS .

Speedy -

A HUGE guy in our town who couldn't move fast if his pants were on fire .

Pinky

A guy with bright red hair .

Hot Day John

Also long gone, may he rest in peace. He got his name because the thing he loved talking about most was the weather .. His favorite phrase being Hot Day ...easy to figure this one out .

Edited by julie

Julie, over here we called redheads 'Bluey'. :) And we have similar 'opposite' nicknames for other physical attributes: 'Shorty' for a tall person etc. My ex had the nickname of 'Sunshine' in his family because he wasn't a particularly cheery person.