Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure you're not mixing it up with lemon meringue pie? ;)

Haha .. are you clairvoyant Claire? :giggle2: We did eat lemon meringue pie today as it happens. I didn't make it though .. *whispers* it was from M&S :blush2: 

It's been a joy catching up to this thread :)!

x

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

x

This is on my wishlist, great review :)

x

Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan

Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan

x

The first one is on my TBR, the second one is on my wishlist. Great reviews!

x

A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen

x

This is going on the wishlist. Really cute pictures of the cat, btw.

:23_sing: Think of all the bookshelves you've ever heard about like the Wernicke's and the Billy's that can link,

There are lots of gorgeous bookshelves in all the world, but have you ever seen a bookshelf that is pink?

x

It looks really, really nice :D!

x

It's not posting comments I'm afraid, it's just that it really doesn't make any sense leaving your reading log to the last, if there's many to go through. This might not make sense to you, but yours is one of my favorite reading log, and just like with a bag of candy, I usually leave the best ones til last. Unfortunately the candy bag on here is so plentiful that I have to go through a lot of great reading blog candy until I can get to yours, one of the best! :blush:

x

I'm like that too a lot of the time.

Thanks Athena :) It's good to see you back.

bookprezzies2013.jpg

Bob is so cute .. indeed I hadn't intended to read any more of his adventures but this morning Alan came home with some book prezzies and one of them was The World According to Bob :D I just sat there flicking it and am now on chapter five :D I think Alan was a bit limited as to choice as he had gone to the supermarket (he had only gone to get breakfast so I'm very lucky that he thought of treating me) and they only have the best sellers etc but he always likes to get me books that I wouldn't necessarily get so it can be a trial :D Actually he wrapped them up and they made one very large house brick sized present and I said to him 'it's not the large print version of Carter Beats the Devil is it?' :D Anyway phew .. it wasn't .. it was actually four books .. though he gave me the Bob one separately as it was larger than the other three.

The first one was Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements and I doubt I would have picked it up because it screams chick-lit at me but then chick-lit can be good and if there's one form of chick-lit I like it's food based chick-lit :D (my fave chick-lit book of all time is probably Maeve Binchy's Scarlet Feather which is about a couple of friends who start a catering business.)

The second is Jojo Moyes' Silver Bay and I've not read anything by her though I've heard a lot about her so I'm interested to see how I get on with it.

The third is Mark Haddon's The Red House .. and I'm pretty sure I would have picked this up eventually as I really liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. This I am most confident of liking but that of course means nothing .. I could easily prefer one of the other two (I'm not counting the Bob book .. I already know I'm liking that :D)

Bless him .. he did say I could take any of them back and change but I won't because it's only right he should have some say in what I read as he usually has to hear all about it (and you will know from this blog how wearying that can be :D)

He bought me some croissants and sunflowers too and I was just beginning to get worried when he said he'd spotted the date on a newspaper and it was the date we got the keys to our first flat :wub: .. awww .. we don't normally celebrate or commemorate the day at all (and indeed .. I can't say I did anything special for him except make his tea and a cheese and pickle roll for work :D) so it was extra nice to get spoiled a bit. 

He bought me some croissants and sunflowers too and I was just beginning to get worried when he said he'd spotted the date on a newspaper and it was the date we got the keys to our first flat :wub: ..

awww .. we don't normally celebrate or commemorate the day at all (and indeed .. I can't say I did anything special for him except make his tea

and a cheese and pickle roll for work :D) so it was extra nice to get spoiled a bit. 

Alan is such a love.  :wub:

I definitely want to read the Mark Haddon book.  I loved 'Curious Incident' and (and I think I'm in the minority here?) I also enjoyed 'A Spot of Bother'.  The Red House is currently £3.66 on Kindle and I do have a 'Kindle voucher' that Luke bought me for Christmas which I've only just registered (and although it doesn't limit me to buying Kindle books, as that's the voucher he chose, that's what I'd like to get) so maybe I'll treat myself with that.   :)

Ah Alan is such a treasure, could he write a book for other other halves, or at least a PDF document? Steve is pretty good but Alan just seems to get it right every time!

I'm not a Mark Haddon fan at all but I have really enjoyed the three Jojo Moyes books I have read (and my puppy is called Jojo), I've not read Silver Bay though so will be interested in you thoughts on that one, I've just looked up the synopsis and it looks a little more chick lit than her more recent books which I've found have more depth and story line than your typical chick lit.

Enjoy! :) :)

It's really sweet of Alan to get you those books :)! They look awesome.

I bought Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop a little while ago, I haven't read it yet though. Scarlet Feather is going on my wishlist. I own Silver Bay but haven't read it yet, I hope you like it! The Red House is on my wishlist, I look forward to hear what you think of it.

Wow Poppy

Alan is such a treasure . The Hubster would NEVER buy me a book of any sort . If I were to ask him to go to the library and bring me home some books he wouldn't do that either . Not that he wouldn't WANT to do it, but he would say that he didn't know what kind to get me or what I'd want to read .He has bought me Amazon cards a lot ,but never an actual book .

Alan is such a love.  :wub:

He is Janet .. I think I'll keep him :D

I definitely want to read the Mark Haddon book. I loved 'Curious Incident' and (and I think I'm in the minority here?) I also enjoyed 'A Spot of Bother'. The Red House is currently £3.66 on Kindle and I do have a 'Kindle voucher' that Luke bought me for Christmas which I've only just registered (and although it doesn't limit me to buying Kindle books, as that's the voucher he chose, that's what I'd like to get) so maybe I'll treat myself with that. :)

I enjoyed A Spot of Bother too but not quite as much as TCIOTDITN .. for one thing it made me too squeamish :D Ooh vouchers .. I do love them. But you've been terribly disciplined with it Janet .. I doubt I could have made it last until January :D

Ah Alan is such a treasure, could he write a book for other other halves, or at least a PDF document? Steve is pretty good but Alan just seems to get it right every time! 

Ahh .. I'm only telling you about the good stuff chalie so most unfair really to other partners. He is pretty brilliant but he's not perfect .. I wouldn't have to nag otherwise ;) I've got a nice arbour in the garden .. it's painted cream but Alan thought it would look better blue so he painted a part of it to see .. it's still like it weeks later (he only bought the matchpot :D) It will take a visitor to make him buy the paint and do the rest .. PLEASE VISIT ME SOMEONE :D 

I'm not a Mark Haddon fan at all but I have really enjoyed the three Jojo Moyes books I have read (and my puppy is called Jojo), I've not read Silver Bay though so will be interested in you thoughts on that one, I've just looked up the synopsis and it looks a little more chick lit than her more recent books which I've found have more depth and story line than your typical chick lit.

Enjoy! :) :)

I hope I do :)I'm a little bit set in my ways when it comes to book choices and so it's good every now and then to read something I wouldn't have chosen for myself. If it's terrible then the charity shop will benefit .. but I won't tell him because I wouldn't like him to give up on choosing books for me. If it's my birthday or Christmas then he will have a peek at my wishlist but at other times he likes to do his own thing :)

It's really sweet of Alan to get you those books :)! They look awesome.

I bought Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop a little while ago, I haven't read it yet though. Scarlet Feather is going on my wishlist. I own Silver Bay but haven't read it yet, I hope you like it! The Red House is on my wishlist, I look forward to hear what you think of it.

Thanks Athena :) .. I wonder which of us will get around to reading them first :D Hope you enjoy Scarlet Feather :)

Scarlet Feather was one of my favourite Maeve Binchy books too. :)

I love most of Maeve's books .. well her earlier ones anyway. I gave up a bit later on as they did get a bit samey. Tara Road is another favourite and I really liked The Lilac Bus and Evening Class too :)

Wow Poppy

Alan is such a treasure . The Hubster would NEVER buy me a book of any sort . If I were to ask him to go to the library and bring me home some books he wouldn't do that either . Not that he wouldn't WANT to do it, but he would say that he didn't know what kind to get me or what I'd want to read .He has bought me Amazon cards a lot ,but never an actual book .

It is difficult to buy or choose books for a bookworm though isn't it? .. you never entirely know what they've already read etc. It takes confidence and Alan isn't the sort to worry about whether he's got it right or not (he knows I can take them back or he's happy to do it for me). Actually he has more or less given up on buying clothes for me so I think books have taken their place :D Getting the wrong book is far less catastrophic (and I have told this story before but he bought me a dress once and I looked at it and said 'it won't fit' and he said 'it will .. an elephant could fit in it' and I tried it on and it didn't fit :hissyfit:  :D that just shows that he ought not to be writing any manuals for anybody. It wasn't that the dress didn't fit .. it was the elephant comment :blush2: .. there's really no recovering from that :D

Poppy

Yea ,that comment about the elephant fitting into the dress was a Humdinger .. Not polite at all, but I'm sure he wasn't thinking when he said it . The Hubster on occasion has made a comment that he regretted BIG TIME later on .. After I get done chewing his ear off .

Our first Christmas the Hubster bought me PANS  . He STILL remembers the backlash from that one . You really don't want pans the first year you are married when you already have a cupboard full . The thought comes across that you are now The Wife, so make me some grub ....

Or one year he bought me a necklace that I saw in a store window . Either I have a football player's neck or the necklace was for a little girl ,but I tried it on, and the chain just fastened in the back, but very tight (like a choker). The little flower doohickey on it stuck straight out ,and when I talked it bobbed up and down . So, the jewelry purchase didn't go over well either .

I think it's just best if he gets me Amazon cards. Then everyone is happy . Easy shopping for him, and easy for me to find something I want .

(and I have told this story before but he bought me a dress once and I looked at it and said 'it won't fit' and he said 'it will .. an elephant could fit in it' and I tried it on and it didn't fit :hissyfit:  :D that just shows that he ought not to be writing any manuals for anybody. It wasn't that the dress didn't fit .. it was the elephant comment :blush2: .. there's really no recovering from that :D

Oh my :o 

Poppy

Yea ,that comment about the elephant fitting into the dress was a Humdinger .. Not polite at all, but I'm sure he wasn't thinking when he said it . The Hubster on occasion has made a comment that he regretted BIG TIME later on .. After I get done chewing his ear off .

Our first Christmas the Hubster bought me PANS  . He STILL remembers the backlash from that one . You really don't want pans the first year you are married when you already have a cupboard full . The thought comes across that you are now The Wife, so make me some grub ....

Or one year he bought me a necklace that I saw in a store window . Either I have a football player's neck or the necklace was for a little girl ,but I tried it on, and the chain just fastened in the back, but very tight (like a choker). The little flower doohickey on it stuck straight out ,and when I talked it bobbed up and down . So, the jewelry purchase didn't go over well either .

I think it's just best if he gets me Amazon cards. Then everyone is happy . Easy shopping for him, and easy for me to find something I want .

Awwwww! But, it's the thought that counts. :D

Amazon card is an excellent idea!

Shhh! She won't click on the link if she thinks it's evil!  :giggle:

Oh crap. Do you think she noticed? :lurker:

And anyway, what do you mean by 'evil'? Don't you think Poppyshake will like it?  :angel_not:

You're right, you know, sometimes books are so much better on a second read. :yes: I'm sure she'll find it greatly improved. :yes::giggle: