Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

I am far too nosey not to look at links :D

I was browsing BD last night and found a book for you! :giggle2:

Nigel's nicked my title :D Actually I read this a while back .. my nose sniffed it out. I saw the TV dramatisation of it too with Helena Bonham Carter .. excellent. One of the best toast quotes ever in this book .. 'It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you' (though it is only very incidentally about toast :o quite shocking really as my book would have been all about toast :D) Thinking about it the quote is not entirely true .. a man made toast for me on the IOW ferry and therefore it is possible to feel quite ambivalent towards your toast maker :smile:

Pfft, that's nothing. I found a book that Poppyshake will enjoy much more.

:banghead: Terrible book and not a single mention of toast in it :D I do love the look of the Penguin 'dropped caps' covers though so some good came of the link :D

She'll like this one best of all, though :cool:

:censored: No mention of toast and a terrible cover .. a man at Waterstone's talked Alan into buying this for me ... I have yet to find that man but when I do I'm going to give him beans :theboss: 

Strangely enough I still have all three of these books on my shelves (the good, the bad and the ugly as it were :D) My reluctance to get rid must mean I'm willing at some point to give them a second chance .. possibly after a bang on the head :giggle2:  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

penelope.jpg

Penelope by Rebecca Harrington

Synopsis: Meet Penelope O'Shaughnessy, Harvard freshman. Armed with her Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights poster and party conversation modelled on the repartee of Noel Coward, Penelope is ready to take her place on campus. But where are the kindred spirits who will share her passion for Morse code and Tetris? Penelope's roommates, over-achieving Emma and the sullen Lan, seem to have already got to grips with university life, and she is finding it hard to work out if the dashing but elusive Gustav matches up to her hero, Hercule Poirot. Penelope follows our heroine's progress through her first year among America's elite, as she navigates the mysteries of life, love, inappropriate tutors, marionette operation and how to kiss on both cheeks and avoid disaster.

The last one was a ridiculous purchase really, its Penelope by Rebecca Harrington and I've picked it up a dozen times before because I love the cover but the reviews for it are terrible .. so terrible that I became intrigued rather than put off .. somone called it 'utter tripe'  on Amazon :D It was only half price so not too much damage done .. if I start whinging about it later down the line then you have my full permission to lecture me on the evils of judging books by covers etc :D  

Review: The good thing about coming to a book with low expectations is that it can't really disappoint .. it can only confirm your worst fears or pleasantly surprise you .. actually there must be a third because somehow I managed to fall somewhere in between those two emotions but mainly I was glad that it wasn't quite as utterly terrible as I'd been led to believe. I don't actually know anything about American collegiate life .. or very little anyway so all of that was new to me and I did struggle with the references .. I should have watched more US teen drama etc (I mean what exactly are 'bangs'? .. I only know about the ones you hear on firework night .. I had no idea they were a hairstyle of some sort.) Penelope is a bit of an oddball .. the book blurb says 'pleasantly absurd' and that's true but she didn't entirely convince. Too often I felt the author was just missing with her attempts to make Penelope intriguingly awkward. The synopsis sounds like the sort of book that I would love at any price but somehow the story kept mis-firing and I was one minute amused and the next confused .. the ingredients were all there but they never quite came together to make anything delicious .. it was just ok (and that makes it edible in my house :D)

In her acknowledgements, Rebecca praises several people who helped her get this novel into shape which left me wondering how bad it had been before (or could it be that the tinkering was at fault?)

Weirdly though, I did come to care about Penelope .. which given that she wasn't always credible is pretty remarkable. This is a record of her first year at college (yes I know the terminology ... freshman right? :D) and there's something quite touching about her efforts to fit in .. her extremely awkward and self conscious efforts to fit in that is. Most of the other characters are complete caricatures and even more unconvincing than Penelope but, for all that, there is something here .. some signs that her future novels might be ones to look out for. Wendy Holden doubts she will read a better novel this year (poor thing .. I am parcelling up Where'd You Go Bernadette to send to her as we speak :D) I am pretty sure I will .. and absolutely certain that I already have but it's not terrible .. it has flashes of brilliance. 3/5

Nice review! I don't know much about American college life either, though I've seen a TV show that involved it and a few films. From what I gather it's a bit different than Dutch college life, but then again my Dutch student time is very different from the average Dutch students' time. It was interesting to read your review, shame the book wasn't better but then again not all books can be brilliant. At least you enjoyed it :).

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review! I don't know much about American college life either, though I've seen a TV show that involved it and a few films. From what I gather it's a bit different than Dutch college life, but then again my Dutch student time is very different from the average Dutch students' time. It was interesting to read your review, shame the book wasn't better but then again not all books can be brilliant. At least you enjoyed it :).

That's true Athena .. every bad or indifferent book makes you appreciate the gems even more :)

Oh dear! reading mojo .. wherefore art thou? I am finding it so difficult to concentrate at the mo .. am thinking of hammering a book to my forehead if it continues. I know I've been out on the gad a lot lately and there've been so many distractions but all the same .. one book read this month and that was for the reading circle (so I made an extra huge effort :D)

This was the nearest I got to a book this week .. and it wasn't even my book (I've read it) .. my book was still in my bag :blush2:

jamrachonthebeach.jpg

It doesn't matter of course .. hopefully autumn and winter will see me back with a book in my hand but I hate it when I'm not enjoying my reading or not wanting to pick a book up :(

I need to do some more reviews too but I've had brain freeze or something (can too much ice cream do that? :D) I look back at the list and can hardly remember reading any of them :o I'm sure this is just panic .. like the time I was asked to do a typing test and momentarily forgot what a typewriter was  :D

Mount Virginia remains unconquered and I'm seriously going to need to 'whack up the ginger' if I'm going to get anywhere near The Waves  :hide:  :wibbly: I don't know if it would be beneficial to my mojo to attempt some Virginia or whether it would see it off for good :D I think I'd better go slowly and carefully and feed it with the literary equivalent of bread and milk :D 

If you should see my mojo .. skipping down a country lane or something .. please turn it gently around and send it back to me .. thank you :friends0: 

Miss Poppy

I think maybe MY mojo is somewhere out there with yours .Mine has been missing for much longer, so it must have found yours and talked it into running away from home .

I'll be on the lookout for them and if I catch them ,I'll send yours back ,wrapped up with duct tape so he can't get loose again .

Mine needs a good switching to the backside ( or maybe I do ) ..my reading totals are worse than pathetic for the year .

I think the more pressure I put on myself to read, the worse it gets .

Miss Poppy

I think maybe MY mojo is somewhere out there with yours .Mine has been missing for much longer, so it must have found yours and talked it into running away from home .

I'll be on the lookout for them and if I catch them ,I'll send yours back ,wrapped up with duct tape so he can't get loose again .

Mine needs a good switching to the backside ( or maybe I do ) ..my reading totals are worse than pathetic for the year .

I think the more pressure I put on myself to read, the worse it gets .

Yes that's it isn't it? When you stress about the amount you haven't read .. it just gets harder. Though your mojo may have encouraged mine to go a wandering Julie I expect mine is the one responsible for them staying away for so long .. I have a feeling it knew I was considering tackling AS Byatt's Possession :D

I hope you both find your mojo again! :hug:

Thanks Athena :)

I have at last struggled through another book .. it was such a trudge. I renewed at the library once but it is due back this week so had to give myself a kick up the pants in order to finish it. I didn't realise that it was unfinished (the author died before completion) .. practically cried tears of frustration at the end because it had all been a bit cloak and dagger and really I was none the wiser (though .. obviously .. I know the author would have preferred not to have died :blush2: .. still she was 78 so perhaps she should've made provisions :blush2:) I am never going to tempt my mojo back by reading unsatisfying books. It was called The Girl in the Polka Dot Dress and there was hardly a mention of her dress :D

I need to choose my next book, very, very wisely :) 

Oh, I loved Possession!  I have to confess that I didn't read all of the poetry, I just kind of skimmed over some of it, but I really enjoyed the whole book. So come back, poppyshakes mojo, it really isn't that bad!  :D

Poppy

You are so funny !  Sorry the last book was such a letdown .That never helps when you are already struggling to get a grip and read ...

I read Possession a really long time ago, so don't remember huge parts of it other than I liked it and was surprised that I did. I kinda had the opinion you did, that it looked and sounded pretty daunting ,to say the least .

It reads almost like an old classic, so you kinda have to get your brain to shift gears and go into the classic mode again ...you know, read slower ,take your time to decipher all the words being thrown your way. But it really was good and I'm glad I read it .

I've slowly been bumbling my way through a book that would normally take a day or 2, but I'm about 2/3 done ,so maybe I'll finally finish one sometime this week .  

Oh, I loved Possession!  I have to confess that I didn't read all of the poetry, I just kind of skimmed over some of it, but I really enjoyed the whole book. So come back, poppyshakes mojo, it really isn't that bad!  :D

I read Possession a really long time ago, so don't remember huge parts of it other than I liked it and was surprised that I did. I kinda had the opinion you did, that it looked and sounded pretty daunting ,to say the least .

It reads almost like an old classic, so you kinda have to get your brain to shift gears and go into the classic mode again ...you know, read slower ,take your time to decipher all the words being thrown your way. But it really was good and I'm glad I read it . 

Now that's very encouraging (I'm only daunted because of struggling through The Children's Book :blush2:) I would write it on a postcard and send it .. if I only knew where my mojo was (bet it's enjoying tea and buns somewhere :censored: )

Sorry the last book was such a letdown .That never helps when you are already struggling to get a grip and read.

I've slowly been bumbling my way through a book that would normally take a day or 2, but I'm about 2/3 done ,so maybe I'll finally finish one sometime this week .

Sometimes when I'm in this mood even short books tend to take forever and I fixate on the number of pages turned (or lack thereof ;)) .. now that's when you know you're not enjoying your reading .. when you continually notice what page number your on ... 'what? .. only page 34? .. surely not' :roll2:  :D

I went to the library this morning, to return their wretched book :D .. I definitely didn't want to get any more books out .. what would be the point? .. it's just a pain to have time constraints put on your reading when it's all going so slowly .. I'd be having to renew them again. Anyway ... I came home with two books :blush2:  :giggle: 

Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall and William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury (neither of these sound like particularly easy reads .. I don't know what I was thinking :blush2:) I also started a book this morning that Alan bought me a couple of weeks back .. Silver Bay by Jojo Moyes. I got into it quite easily actually and it's probably just what I need but when I got home from the library, instead of getting on with it, like any conscientious person would, I started reading Decline and Fall :blush2:  :blush2: They're both going well so far so fingers crossed.

On my walks I'm still listening to Les Miserables and that's a challenge and no mistake. I think I'm about two thirds through and I can see my way to the winning post now :giggle2: but goodness .. what a challenge. I'm so glad I decided to listen and not read .. I don't always pick the right books for that but this time .. well done me!! (would be collecting dust on my bedside table otherwise.) I cannot believe how often he wanders right off the path .. I know I haven't a leg to stand on as regards rambling but he could eat me up for breakfast :D  

I feel exactly the same about my reading at the moment poppyshake!

It's strange isn't it? A lot of people on the forum are saying the same .. like it's an epidemic :D I thought part of it might have been the distraction of summer .. there's so many things to do .. but then you are only just approaching summer (however .. you've been on your hols too .. so have been busy also) so I'm not sure. I do feel it'll get easy as we slide into autumn .. all those cold crunchy days by the fire etc .. perfect for reading with a cuppa. One can but hope :D

Hope your mojo picks up soon Deborah :friends0: (and Sari .. and Janet .. and Julie .. and all those poor mojoless forum membies that are struggling.)

Edited by poppyshake

I even struggled trying to finish one chapter last night, and the last book I was reading (even though it was 176 pages) had me thinking "why do I feel like I am not making any progress?" No fault of the book, it was a good read.

I even struggled trying to finish one chapter last night, and the last book I was reading (even though it was 176 pages) had me thinking "why do I feel like I am not making any progress?" No fault of the book, it was a good read.

I know .. it's very hard to understand why it happens :shrug: 

I haven't seen a good literary 'toast quote' in ages .. clearly I'm reading the wrong sorts of books :blush2: 

I've finally got around to updating 'my favourite reads' list. I couldn't find it on my own blog anywhere but luckily frankie's blog came to the rescue :blush2: I've taken a leaf out of frankie's book and written 'NEW' after each newly added title (that is .. I hope I have :blush2:)
This is my favourite list of all because my progress is 133/133 :D yay!! :yahoo: .. go me!!

NB: The alphabet isn't my strong point (indeed nobody has found what is yet :D) so apologies in advance for any errors.

Poppyshake's 133 books You Must Read Before You Die List (with further apologies for any you've read that you think suck :D I'd be very grateful if you didn't point them out :giggle:)  

Fiction
Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series NEW
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy
Edward Albee - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf NEW
Clare Allen - Poppy Shakespeare :D
Jane Austen - Northanger Abbey
Jane Austen - Persuasion NEW
Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility NEW
Julian Barnes - Arthur & George
David Benioff - City of Thieves
Emily Brontë - Wuthering Heights
Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None NEW
Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
John Connolly - The Book of Lost Things
Patrick deWitt - The Sisters Brothers
Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens - Bleak House - NEW
Charles Dickens - Great Expectations
Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities
Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime & Punishment
Mark Dunn - Ella Minnow Pea NEW
Jeffrey Eugenides - Middlesex
Jasper Fforde - The Thursday Next series
Jonathan Safran Foer - Everything is Illuminated
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
Paul Gallico - Mrs Harris Goes to Paris NEW
George & Weedon Grossmith - Diary of a Nobody
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Emma Henderson - Grace Williams Says it Loud
John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany
Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Eowyn Ivey - The Snow Child NEW
Shirley Jackson - We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Mette Jakobsen - The Vanishing Act NEW
Thomas Keneally - Schindlers Ark NEW
Stephen Kelman - Pigeon English
Barbara Kingsolver - The Poisonwood Bible
Andrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin - NEW
Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
Lauren Liebenberg - The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter & Jam
Karen Maitland - Company of Liars
Hilary Mantel - Bring Up the Bodies NEW
Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall -
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
Daphne du Maurier - My Cousin Rachel NEW
Daphne du Maurier - Rebecca
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
Herman Melville - Moby Dick
Margaret Mitchell - Gone with the Wind
Nancy Mitford - The Pursuit of Love
Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus NEW
Toni Morrison - Beloved
Iris Murdoch - The Sea, The Sea
Paul Murray - Skippy Dies
Irene Nemirovsky - Suite Francaise NEW
Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar NEW
Annie Proulx - The Shipping News
Dan Rhodes - Gold
Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children NEW
Willy Russell - The Wrong Boy
F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby NEW
Maria Semple - Where'd You Go Bernadette NEW
Mary Ann Shaffer - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Lynn Shepherd - Tom All-Alones NEW
Dodie Smith - I Capture the Castle
Kathryn Stockett - The Help
Bram Stoker - Dracula NEW
Mari Strachan - The Earth Hums in B Flat
Donna Tartt - The Secret History
Voltaire - Candide NEW
Sarah Waters - The Little Stranger
Virginia Woolf - To the Lighthouse
Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

Young Adult
Richard Adams - Watership Down NEW
Joan Aiken - The Wolves of Willoughby Chase NEW
Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Stephen Chbosky - The Perks of being a Wallflower
Eoin Colfer - The Artemis Fowl series
Roald Dahl - Matilda NEW
Cornelia Funke - Inkheart
Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book
Sally Gardner - I Coriander
Kenneth Grahame - Wind in the Willows
Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
C.S. Lewis - The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe
A.A. Milne - Winnie the Pooh
Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls NEW
Mary Norton - The Borrowers
Terry Pratchett - Wintersmith
Chris Priestley - Tales of Terror series
J.K. Rowling - The Harry Potter series
Jonathan Stroud - The Bartimaeus Trilogy
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Sue Townsend - The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾
P.L. Travers - Mary Poppins NEW
Catherynne M.Valente - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making NEW

Non-fiction
Andrea Ashworth - Once in a House on Fire
Clare Balding - My Animals and Other Family NEW
John Bayley - The Iris Trilogy
William Blacker - Along the Enchanted Way
James Bowen - A Streetcat Named Bob NEW :22: 
Bill Bryson - Notes from a Big Country
Bill Bryson - Notes from a Small Island
Bill Bryson - The Lost Continent NEW
Augusten Burroughs - Running with Scissors
Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl
Stephen Fry - Moab is My Washpot NEW
Stephen Fry - The Fry Chronicles NEW
Angelica Garnett - Deceived with KindnessNEW
Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing
Nick Hornby - The Complete Polysyllabic Spree
William Horwood - The Boy With No Shoes NEW
Brian Keenan - An Evil Cradling
Richard Kennedy - A Boy at the Hogarth Press NEW
Hermione Lee - Virginia Woolf NEW
Laurie Lee - Cider with Rosie
Mary S. Lovell - The Mitford Girls
Alexander Masters - Stuart: A Life Backwards
Sarah Miles - Right Royal B*stard NEW
David Mitchell - Back Story NEW
Caitlin Moran - How To Be A Woman NEW

Charlotte Mosly - Letters Between Six Sisters (Mitfords)
Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith - Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith - Van Gogh: The Life NEW
George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London NEW
Sylvia Plath - The Journals of Sylvia Plath
Lorna Sage - Bad Blood
Oscar Wilde - De Profundis NEW
Jeanette Winterson - Why Be Happy When You Could be Normal?
Elie Wiesel - Night NEW
Virginia Woolf - A Room of Ones Own NEW
Virginia Woolf - Selected Diaries NEW
Virginia Woolf - Selected Letters NEW

Edited by poppyshake

I've yet to comment on previous posts, but I cannot refrain from commenting this list :D

That's great progress, 133/133 :D This is one of my favorite lists, too, for obvious reasons: I've read many of the books, I have many of the others on my wishlist, and the rest is more than likely the kinds of books I would want to read if I knew more about them :D

I noticed this one thing and I wouldn't mention it but I have to because it's important! :o You have the NEW for David Mitchell's Back Story in black :o Or is that intentional. Maybe you wanted it to stand out :D It's an outstanding book?

I almost added this myself, but didn't. Surprisingly good and not at all scary! :D

I only had Northanger Abbey before, but I added Persuasion to the list this time :) Oh, Captain Wentworth, how I swoon for thee :wub:

Oh :D There's another book we do not have in common :hide:  :giggle2:

Very lucky that you loved the book, it being your RC :D

Awww, I'm so happy you enjoyed the book so much :)

Voltaire - Candide NEW

Hehe, I think I was going to add this, but then I remembered that I already had it on the list. Such a funky read :D

Roald Dahl - Matilda NEW
Cornelia Funke - Inkheart

I added these two books this year :) I'd read Inkheart once before, but I loved it more the second time round, quite oddly!

Haha, almost all of the NEW books on your non-fiction list are ones I already have on my wishlist, and most of them thanks to you :D

Great list, Kay, thank you for it! :flowers2:  I copy+pasted it on my reading log, I'm not sure if I will get rid of the previous one, though... Hm, did you remove any books? If not, then it's the same list but with new titles, in which case I wouldn't even have to do a lot of editing... :cold:

Edited by frankie

I've yet to comment on previous posts, but I cannot refrain from commenting this list :D

That's great progress, 133/133 :D This is one of my favorite lists, too, for obvious reasons: I've read many of the books, I have many of the others on my wishlist, and the rest is more than likely the kinds of books I would want to read if I knew more about them :D

I noticed this one thing and I wouldn't mention it but I have to because it's important! :o You have the NEW for David Mitchell's Back Story in black :o Or is that intentional. Maybe you wanted it to stand out :D It's an outstanding book?

Oh dear!! my first fail :D They were all in black but I changed them to red .. but forgot poor David :blush2: 

I almost added this myself, but didn't. Surprisingly good and not at all scary! :D  

It's one of my fave books this year .. and I'm sure you put me onto it :friends0: 

I only had Northanger Abbey before, but I added Persuasion to the list this time :) Oh, Captain Wentworth, how I swoon for thee :wub:

I think I was limiting myself before but have decided to binge now :D Truth be told I would put all Jane's on the list .. except for Mansfield Park and I do still like chunks of that. Captain Wentworth!! .. what a man (even if he did say her looks had gone off :D)

Oh :D There's another book we do not have in common :hide: :giggle2:

I didn't always love it .. perhaps you'll grow to love it when you're a pokey old woman :D

Very lucky that you loved the book, it being your RC :D

Yes .. I'm not so sure I didn't take everyone hostage and force them into choosing this .. it was on my shelf and I was dying to read it. Sadly not everyone agreed with me over it's brilliance :giggle: 

Awww, I'm so happy you enjoyed the book so much :)

I thought it was brilliant and strange (two of my favourite combinations :D

Oh dear!! my first fail :D They were all in black but I changed them to red .. but forgot poor David :blush2: 

I'm sure he'd forgive you, you two being old pals ... :D

It's one of my fave books this year .. and I'm sure you put me onto it :friends0: 

I may have had something to do with it, but it was the Virginia Woolf aspect that did it in the end, I believe :) I still remember the beautiful cover in your edition :)

I think I was limiting myself before but have decided to binge now :D

Nothing beats a good binge every now and then :D I think we both went on one... :giggle2: I wonder if Kylie will follow suit or if she'll just ignore it all :giggle2: She can't do that very long, can she, especially when we're talking about it behind her back, but in a way that she can hear and see everything... :D

Truth be told I would put all Jane's on the list .. except for Mansfield Park and I do still like chunks of that. Captain Wentworth!! .. what a man (even if he did say her looks had gone off :D)

Oh Mansfield Park, ick! :censored:  That one I do not like.

I think maybe Wentworth was being rude because he was so utterly hurt that he'd been rejected before... Men are like that :giggle2:

I didn't always love it .. perhaps you'll grow to love it when you're a pokey old woman :D

Or maybe I will grow to love it when I get to the best years of my life, that is, when I get to your age :cool: I mean I'm almost there already!

Yes .. I'm not so sure I didn't take everyone hostage and force them into choosing this .. it was on my shelf and I was dying to read it. Sadly not everyone agreed with me over it's brilliance :giggle: 

:D Do you think they are still there, cowering in the corner of the thread? You'd better go and check :D

I thought it was brilliant and strange (two of my favourite combinations :D

Indeed! Strange is good :yes: And brilliance, well brilliance is brilliant. :)