Films you're looking forward to seeing in 2013

Kell

There are LOADS of great films coming out in 2013. so I have a great big long list of stuff I want to see. There are still one or two from this year I'd like to watch too, so I've included them in my list:

• 300: Rise of an Empire (2013)
  • A Good Day To Die Hard (2013)
  • Carrie (2013)
  • Despicable me 2 (2013)
  • Django Unchained (2012)
  • Evil Dead (2013)
  • Gangster Squad (2013)
  • The Great Gatsby (2013)
  • Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters (2013)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
  • I, Frankenstein (2013)
  • Iron Man 3 (2013)
  • Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)
  • Kick Ass 2 (2013)
  • Les Miserables (2012)
  • Life of Pi (2012)
  • Lincoln (2012)
  • The Lone Ranger (2013)
  • Man of Steel (2013)
  • Monsters University (2013)
  • Much Ado About Nothing (2012)
  • Now You See me (2013)
  • Oblivion (2013)
  • Old Boy (2013)
  • Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)
  • RED 2 (2013)
  • Riddick (2013)
  • Rise of the Guardians (2012)
  • Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
  • Warm Bodies (2013)
  • World War Z (2013)

What is everyone else looking forward to watching this year?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am most excited about The Great Gatsby. I saw an extended trailer at the movies last night and I think it looks wonderful.

I'm also really looking forward to:

Anna Karenina (released 2013 here)

Cloud Atlas (released 2013 here)

Hitchcock (released 2013 here)

Life of Pi (released 2013 here)

The Great Gatsby

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Star Trek Into Darkness

World War Z

I have added two movies to my 'absolutely must see' list (details from SMH website). My comments are in blue:

The World's End: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost re-team with writer-director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) for this comedy about five friends recreating their epic pub crawl of 20 years ago when they discover they are humanity's last hope. I love love love Pegg and Frost! I cannot wait to see this.

Elysium: Neill Blomkamp's follow-up to District 9 is another sci-fi tale of class warfare. The year is 2159 and while the rich live on an orbiting space colony, the rest struggle to survive on a ruined planet Earth. Matt Damon is the hero. Jodie Foster is the villain. I loved District 9 and can't wait to see Blomkamp's new offering (it's not a sequel to D9 though). Jodie does sci-fi well, and I can't wait to see her as a villain!

And I wouldn't mind seeing these, although I might wait for reviews):

The Heat: Buddy cop comedy with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. I love McCarthy and am fond of Bullock; I think they will make a great team.

Identity Thief: Con artist Melissa McCarthy makes Jason Bateman's life hell. See above!

Oblivion: TRON: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi stars Tom Cruise as a drone repairman stationed on an Earth ravaged by war with aliens. A woman in a downed spacecraft challenges his beliefs about the war. Could be good. I'll wait for reviews.

After Earth: M. Night Shyamalan sci-fi with Will and Jaden Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness) as a father and son who crash-land on an abandoned planet. Could be good. I'll wait for reviews.

Now You See Me: Ocean's Eleven meets The Prestige as a gang of magicians stage bank heists. Stars Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine. Intriguing cast should make for a good movie.

Jobs: Ashton Kutcher plays Apple icon Steve Jobs. Could this be Kutcher's defining role that turns him into a serious actor (and Oscar winner)? I have a feeling he'll be brilliant in this, and I'm a fan of Apple/Jobs, so I'm looking forward to this.

Gravity: Astronauts Sandra Bullock and George Clooney float through space, tethered together by a shared oxygen tube, after their shuttle is destroyed. Written and directed by Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). I feel claustrophobic just reading the plot, but this could be done quite well.

Ender's Game: Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield (Hugo), Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine) and Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit) star in this adaptation of the Orson Scott Card sci-fi novel about children recruited to defend Earth against alien invaders. Ooh, I better bump the book up my TBR pile!

For those of you who have yet to see Lincoln and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I highly recommend them! Especially Lincoln, which I absolutely loved. I didn't see a ton of films in 2012, but of what I did that one is my clear favorite. I never did get to see The Master, but I'd really like to before awards season starts.

As for 2013 I'd really love to see:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - I won't ever turn down an opportunity to see Aidan Turner as a sexy dwarf for as long as I live!

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - I'm kind of 'meh' about this one, but I need to see how things progress (even though I'm still clearly on Team Gale ;))

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Woo! Simon Pegg as Scotty!!

Hitchcock - Love Hitchcock!

Warm Bodies - This is a guilty pleasure for sure. The trailer looked really good though!

Hyde Park on Hudson - I love Bill Murray in his dramatic roles, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him play President Roosevelt.

The We and the I - This is a new one directed by Michel Gondry, who's a favorite of mine.

Gambit - I believe this film was already released in the UK in 2012, but isn't being released here until this year. It was written by the Coen bros so that means I'm required to see it :D

Inside Llewyn Davis - This is the Coen bros new film and I can't wait for it!!

And last but not least, The Worlds End! Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright are the gods of comedy and I can't wait to see this one. Love them all so much!

Wow Kylie can this be true? No less than 5 SF films? I can't wait :D

Pretty awesome, hey? I hope they're all as good as they sound!

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Woo! Simon Pegg as Scotty!!

And last but not least, The Worlds End! Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright are the gods of comedy and I can't wait to see this one. Love them all so much!

Ooh, I didn't realise Pegg was in Star Trek. Between him and Cumberbatch, it is bound to be a great movie!

I wish I could see The World's End with you. We have the same appreciation for their comedy genius. :D

Hmm, there are quite a few films I'm looking forward to see. It should be pointed out that on occasion films release earlier here than in the UK, but usually they release later (and often quite a bit later than the US). I'll probably go to the cinema to see a few films, for others I'll wait until the Blu-ray is out and buy that (either straight away or eventually).

Planned to see in 2012 but not seen yet (we got ill in the winter holidays):

- Wreck-It-Ralph

- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

- Anna Karenina

Want to see:

- Star Trek: Into Darkness

- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

- Man of Steel

- Iron Man 3

- Safe Haven

- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

- Despicable Me 2

- The Great Gatsby

- Monsters University

- Ender's Game

I also want to see The Lucky One and will likely get it on Blu-ray sometime.

There's probably more but I can't think of them right now. I don't generally keep track of what's out when, sometimes I don't know until it's out and I randomly decide to browse the cinema site to see if there's anything interesting I might want to see.

Edited by Athena

I'm not sure when Sundance films are released worldwide, but I'd love to see Kill Your Darling, which is about a murder that took place during the beat years (Ginsberg, Kerouac etc were associated with it). It stars Daniel Radcliffe and Michael C Hall, which is a bonus.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - I'm kind of 'meh' about this one, but I need to see how things progress (even though I'm still clearly on Team Gale ;))

I've always been firmly Team Peeta - he's just so sweet. I was Team Peeta when I saw the film, and Team Peeta all the way through the books. ;)

I'm looking forward to The Host, The Hobbit (next one), The Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments (I think it comes out this year) as well as the House of Night movie which I think is out either this year or the year after xD

• 4 weeks later...

Iron Man 3 at the moment is the one am looking forward to most.  Love RDJ in that role.

Looking forward also to Star Trek 2.

The Collection, which is heralded as being the new Saw series.

The ABCs of Death

The Lone Ranger

• 2 months later...