Kidsmum's Reading Log 2013

Kidsmum

My favourite Dickens so far, and one of my all time top half dozen. Glad you're enjoying it so early. He can take a bit of getting going, and it helps if you go for his descriptive prose (that first chapter on London fog is superb IMO), but the interweaving of its multitude of strands and Dickens's masterly juggling of one of the biggest cast lists I've ever come across take some beating. If ever a book stood for a genre, this stands for the big Victorian novel (although one or two others could, I admit, challenge for the part!). All it needs is time!

I'm enjoying his characters, Mrs Jellyby & family & Mrs Pardiggle, the philanthropist & her five disgruntled sons. When i'd attempted to read Dickens when i was younger i'd found him to be a bit of a waffler but i guess i've become more patient as i've got older as i'm enjoying his writing style this time around.

I look forward to read how you get on with this one. I haven't read any Dickens yet, I'm intimidated by the size and complexity of the novels. I was going to try Oliver Twist first, because I know the story of that a bit (I saw a play/musical on it once) and because it's one of the shorter novels. I hope you have fun reading Bleak House :).

I know what you mean Athena i've always found Dicken's novels to be a bit intimidating but i'm enjoying Bleak House very much.  :smile:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to read how you get on with this one. I haven't read any Dickens yet, I'm intimidated by the size and complexity of the novels. I was going to try Oliver Twist first, because I know the story of that a bit (I saw a play/musical on it once) and because it's one of the shorter novels. I hope you have fun reading Bleak House :).

I read Oliver Twist for the first time last year, even though I thought I knew the story through films, musical, etc etc. Indeed the latter had put me off actually reading the book. I was pleasantly surprised: the book proved to be far superior to them all, with a depth in character, setting and plotting that I'd felt missing before. If ever I needed proof that there is no substitute for reading.....!

• 2 weeks later...

Alan & i went to Otley today, we did all the charity shops & then found a lovely little secondhand book shop up a side street. I came home with....

Life Class  Pat Barker

The Enchanted April  Elizabeth von Armin

The Birds Fall Down  Rebecca West

The Reavers  George Macdonald Frazer

A Murder Of Quality  John Le Carre

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold  John Le Carre

Last Orders  Graham Swift

My Cousin Rachel  Daphne Du Maurier

Parrot & Olivier in America  Peter Carey

The First Rumpole Omnibus  John Mortimer

The Sea  John Banville

Flashman & The Angel Of The Lord  George Macdonald Frazer

The Night Circus  Erin Morgenstern

That's a lot of books isn't it  :eek:  I need to stop buying books for the next 5 years  :thud:

I really enjoyed The Night Circus once I got past the first third, not sure why so will be interested to hear what you think of it.. It's definitely unique!! :)

That's good to hear Charliepud, I've had it on my wishlist for quite awhile so was really pleased when i spotted it in the shop  :smile:

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Life Class, Kidsmum.  I read it recently, and still can't make up my mind about it!  We're discussing it at my book group in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait to find out what the others made of it.

I loved The Enchanted April, it was just wonderful.  There's a film adaptation of it that I keep meaning to try and find, but I just loved the book. :smile2:

Also love the Rumpole books - they are so funny, and I love Rumpole's sardonic wit and turn of phrase. :D

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Life Class, Kidsmum.  I read it recently, and still can't make up my mind about it!  We're discussing it at my book group in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait to find out what the others made of it.

I loved The Enchanted April, it was just wonderful.  There's a film adaptation of it that I keep meaning to try and find, but I just loved the book. :smile2:

Also love the Rumpole books - they are so funny, and I love Rumpole's sardonic wit and turn of phrase. :D

Life Class i remembered from your reading log Chesil & as i haven't read any of her other books( even though i have some of them on my TBR pile) & it's only a short book i couldn't resist snapping it up  :smile:

The Enchanted April & The Birds Fall Down are both published by Virago, i've read & enjoyed quite a few books they've published so i always buy them when i see them in the charity shops. That's good to hear you thought it was wonderful, it does say on the back that it was a major BBC dramatisation but i don't remember having seen it.

I'm really looking forward to reading Rumpole i never watched the series but i do recall seeing clips of it - not sure why i haven't picked up any of his books before really as they do sound very good  :D

• 3 weeks later...

:D Nevermind. I'm sure a lot of us here are in the same boat. :giggle2:

I blame all of you for tempting me with your book reviews  :D

Yup - 35 bought (so far), 12 read!   :giggle:

Glad I'm not on my own  :giggle2:

I've read 42 and bought quite a few more than that :blush:.

42 is good going Athena  :smile:

As many as that? Good going!As few as that? Good going!

My sister's visiting at the moment & she brought a stack of books for me that she'd finished with but at least i was able to pass some of my books on to her  :smile:

That's pretty good going I think .. well done :)

thank you Poppy,i wouldn't mind if i had any space left to put them but I'm back to stacking them up the side of the sofa  :doh:

My sister is over on a visit from Holland - she brought me some books she'd finished with

Stonehenge  Bernard Cornwell

A House For Mr Biswas  V.S. Naipaul

A Special Relationship  Douglas Kennedy

My Favourite Wife  Tony Parsons

The Good Doctor  Damon Galgut

The Summer Of The Barshinskeys  Dianne Pearson

About 8 of them are books that i bought this year & the rest are ones i've collected from over the years, Inver. I have a few books that i've had for years & i can't remember why i got them in the first place but am loath to jettison them just in case they turn out to be real gems  :giggle2:

I had the same problem last night when I was trying to choose what to read next. Couldn't remember why I had some of them as reading the synopsis on the back of some of them didn't entice me to want to read them! :giggle:

One of my  book resolutions was to read some Dickens this year so yesterday i started Bleak House. The size of the book is a bit daunting & i'm finding it's taking me longer to read than usual so i'm only about 50 pages in  but i am enjoying what i've read so far.

I like that resolution! :)  I've been interested in reading Bleak House, too, but like you said, the size of the novel is a bit daunting... I'm very happy to hear you've been enjoying it, though! :)

Alan & i went to Otley today, we did all the charity shops & then found a lovely little secondhand book shop up a side street. I came home with....

Life Class  Pat Barker

The Sea  John Banville

That's a lot of books isn't it  :eek:  I need to stop buying books for the next 5 years  :thud:

A great haul :D I loved My Cousin Rachel, I hope you will enjoy it, too :) And I'm definitely looking forward to your thoughts on Parrot & Olivier :)

Reviewing my book activity so far for this year

Books read- 33  :smile:

Books Bought- 45  :doh:

Ooooops.... :D Never mind, though, like others have previously stated, you're in good (or bad??) company, I'm sure loads of members on here have acquired more books than they've read this year so far :lol:  I had to giggle a bit, though, because after that you'd already acquired a half a dozen more books :giggle2:

I like that resolution! :)  I've been interested in reading Bleak House, too, but like you said, the size of the novel is a bit daunting... I'm very happy to hear you've been enjoying it, though! :)

I've read that a lot lately, that the size of a book is daunting. I'm intrigued - why? That may seem to have an obvious answer, but I've always felt that it's actually counter-intuitive: if you enjoy it the enjoyment will last longer, and if you don't you don't have to read any more than a more conventionally sized book. The only time I think a big book daunting in size is if one has a time limit for reading it.

I've read that a lot lately, that the size of a book is daunting. I'm intrigued - why? That may seem to have an obvious answer, but I've always felt that it's actually counter-intuitive: if you enjoy it the enjoyment will last longer, and if you don't you don't have to read any more than a more conventionally sized book. The only time I think a big book daunting in size is if one has a time limit for reading it.

Well for the time being I'm coming out of a no-mojo situation, I've had to gradually build my concentration to get to 'normal length' books, due to having been sick. And yep, one doesn't really have to read more than a few pages to see if one gets engrossed by the doorstop... But for me, being a person who loves reading in bed, the long, heavy books are a bit of an annoyance, because they take more physical effort to read. But otherwise.... :shrug: I've read some big doorstops in my time and like you said, as they were so good, I got to enjoy the goodness for a longer period of time because they were such long reads. Take Gone With the Wind, for example. I would've loved to read it for a lot longer, when I actually did get to reading it :)

x

Actually, I do love long books. If I see the spine of a book and it's long / big, that's a definate bonus for me. I like to think the enjoyment lasts long (I'm just intimidated by classics) and that you get a lot of value for money (it's still quality over quantity of course).

Well for the time being I'm coming out of a no-mojo situation, I've had to gradually build my concentration to get to 'normal length' books, due to having been sick. And yep, one doesn't really have to read more than a few pages to see if one gets engrossed by the doorstop... But for me, being a person who loves reading in bed, the long, heavy books are a bit of an annoyance, because they take more physical effort to read. But otherwise.... :shrug: I've read some big doorstops in my time and like you said, as they were so good, I got to enjoy the goodness for a longer period of time because they were such long reads. Take Gone With the Wind, for example. I would've loved to read it for a lot longer, when I actually did get to reading it :)

x

I've actually just ordered this book! It'd been on my wishlist for a while and I've heard so many good things about it.

I've actually just ordered this book! It'd been on my wishlist for a while and I've heard so many good things about it.

Oh goody! :)  It's a really great novel, I do hope you shall enjoy it a lot! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Life Class  Pat Barker

The Sea  John Banville

Very nice!

The Sea is one of my all time favorites, even though it took me 3 readings to get the various timelines down correctly.  heh

Pat Barker is wonderful, I haven't read that one, but have read her Regeneration trilogy, and you don't get better!

John L Carre......yum!

I read My Cousin Rachel so long ago, I don't really remember anything except that I enjoyed it. 

Why stop buying books?  After all, there may be an ink shortage, a tree/paper shortage, the electric may go out....one never knows about these things.  :doh:   I say, be prepared.  :readingtwo:  :grinhat:  

I didn't spot this post when it first went up.  Are you from near Otley Kidsmum, or was this just a visit?  Only ask, because it's our nearest town, and I've done some good book shopping there in the past.  Not just the charity shops; Just Books, the remainder shop, always seems to have an interesting selection (at least to me!).  The one downside is that the independent bookshop (Manor Books) didn't survive the retirement of its owners - just couldn't compete.  And my favourite second hand bookshop (Chevin Books) also closed. I think that was mainly because he is doing more and more business online, but it did highlight one of the disadvantages of having such a density of charity shops, all of whom have advantages over commercial retail - staffed by volunteers and not liable to rates.  It's great for tourism, but not so good for local business.