Kidsmum's Reading Log 2013

Kidsmum

I promise there is nothing salacious in Memoirs Of A Geisha, Marie  :smile: It's similar to the Lisa See book in that it gives an insight into a closed world , fascinating stuff IMO  :D

Oh, it's just my stubborn, prejudiced unconscious mind  :blush2: . So I have now bought a copy :smile: .

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KM  ( and Marie )

I'll second your opinion of Geisha. It's really nothing graphic at all, just the story of the girl who becomes one ,but it's very tastefully done ,so no worries there .

THIS is where I saw people talking of Snow Flower, so that's why I bought it yesterday !   :)   Knew I saw it someplace !

I'm glad you found Hundred Secret Senses , KM . So magical. It reminded me a BIT of House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende ... same TYPE of storytelling, although totally different cultures .

I have bought a copy of Geisha  :smile: . I hope you like Snow Flower, as it was such a gripping story. :readingtwo:

More on the wonderful Amy Tan ; there`s a collection of her essays called The Opposite of Fate which I was so impressed by, I gave it out as Xmas presents a few years ago. :smile:

Now that sounds familiar i think i might of read it but shall check it out on Amazon to make sure  :D

Oh, it's just my stubborn, prejudiced unconscious mind  :blush2: . So I have now bought a copy :smile: .

Hope you like it Marie  :D I'll feel awful if you don't  :hide:

Hope you like it Marie  :D I'll feel awful if you don't  :hide:

Both of us feeling nervous of this book now :D . I think that it will be good, as it has been recommended by quite a lot of people  :smile: .

Both of us feeling nervous of this book now :D . I think that it will be good, as it has been recommended by quite a lot of people  :smile: .

Well i'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you get round to reading it Marie  :smile:

Just did a final count for the year & i've read 76 books, that's 4 more than last year, now if i hadn't bought way more than that i would have been well on the way to reducing my TBR , so new year new start  :smile: My last two books were 1356  Bernard Cornwell. I've read quite a few  books in the Sharpe Series but this is my first stand alone novel by Cornwell & i really enjoyed it. Great characters & exciting battle scenes the book rattles along at a good pace. Before i read Cornwell if anyone had told me that i would enjoy a book because it had great battle scenes i would have laughed & said that it wasn't my sort of thing but Cornwell's extensive research & obvious interest in historical events comes across in his writing & as a reader you can't help but be caught up in the moment. In my opinion a 5/5 read. 

My next book was The Thirteenth Tale  Diane Setterfield, i've had this book for quite awhile but needed to read it before the TV adaptation is shown later this month. An old house, a past life full of hidden secrets ,a story finally told - i was sure i would love this book but unfortunately it fell short of good. Lacking the atmosphere of The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters i found some of the characters a little far fetched & so the story didn't grip me in the way i thought it would & so can only give it 2/5. However i shall still be tuning in to see the TV drama on the night  :D

I'm now reading The Secret History  Donna Tartt for next months Reading Circle, i'm only 70 pages in so far & it is a reread but if anything i'm enjoying it more on this second read as i know where the story is going so i can appreciate the way she builds the characters & sets the scene for future events. Good stuff  :readingtwo:

My next book was The Thirteenth Tale  Diane Setterfield, i've had this book for quite awhile but needed to read it before the TV adaptation is shown later this month. An old house, a past life full of hidden secrets ,a story finally told - i was sure i would love this book but unfortunately it fell short of good. Lacking the atmosphere of The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters i found some of the characters a little far fetched & so the story didn't grip me in the way i thought it would & so can only give it 2/5. However i shall still be tuning in to see the TV drama on the night  :D

Shame you didn't particularly enjoy The Thirteenth Tale. I really liked it when I read it last year. Thanks for the heads up about the TV adaptation - I had no idea they'd made something like that, so I look forward to watching it next week.

I'm now reading The Secret History  Donna Tartt for next months Reading Circle, i'm only 70 pages in so far & it is a reread but if anything i'm enjoying it more on this second read as i know where the story is going so i can appreciate the way she builds the characters & sets the scene for future events. Good stuff  :readingtwo:

It's definitely better the second time around, isn't it? :boogie: I'm just over halfway through, and it's just brilliant. :D

It was a shame i really expected to like it a lot more than i did but hopefully i'll enjoy the TV adaptation more, Olivia Coleman who starred in Broadchurch is in it so should be good  :D

I'm loving the Secret History, i'm not quite halfway through, it's been difficult to make time to read & then i keep falling asleep ....Why is sitting around so tiring?...... but i agree it's brilliant  :D