Kidsmum's Reading Log 2013

Kidsmum

No i didn't get round to seeing the movie, i remember seeing the trailer & thinking that looks good but of course as usual by the time i got round to going to see it  it had disappeared off the screen :doh: I didn't know it had another title my copy has the film cast on the front- i'm only a short way into it but so far so good  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Not Now,When ?  Primo Levi

Amazon Synopsis 

Primo Levi was among the greatest witnesses to twentieth-century atrocity. In this gripping novel, based on a true story, he reveals the extraordinary lives of the Russian, Polish and Jewish partisans trapped behind enemy lines during the Second World War. Wracked by fear, hunger and fierce rivalries, they link up, fall apart, struggle to stay alive and to sabotage the efforts of the all-powerful German army. A compelling tale of action, resistance and epic adventure, it also reveals Levi's characteristic compassion and deep insight into the moral dilemmas of total war. It ranks alongside THE PERIOD TABLE and IF THIS IS A MAN as one of the rare authentic masterpieces of our times.

This book was a Mother's Day present from my hubby apparently it was on my wishlist though i can't remember adding it so i guess i must of popped it on while listening to a book programme on the radio & then forgotten about it either that or the book fairy put it on. This was such a compelling & thought provoking read although a work of fiction it's so convincing that i was completely pulled in by the characters. Levi himself was born into a Jewish family in Turin In 1919, in 1943 when the Germans invaded northern Italy he escaped to the mountains & joined an anti-fascist partisan group; soon captured he was sent to Auschwitz & was liberated in 1945. But apparently haunted by guilt for surviving when others didn't he committed suicide on 11 April, 1985.I also have If This Is A Man/ Truce his experiences of Auschwitz which was also on my wishlist apparently :confused: I've given it 5/5 but it deserves more as it's a book i just can't get out of my head.

5/5

That sounds like a fantastic book Kidsmum, I've added it to my wishlist.

I've added it, and the other three books too.

I hope you both enjoy it , it's an excellent read IMO  :smile:

Yes it is. We read it since we are children here in Italy, because Levi is one of the most important writer of italian literature. He's really important from an hystorical point of view too, you know, because he was in Auschwitz and so on. You should read his books and believe me, you won't regret it.

My dads Italian as you know, and my great grandfather on his side was a prisoner of war in Africa in one of the camps during ww2. When Italy sided with the allies, they released all the prisoners and they had to make their own way back home, or fight with the allies, so my great grandfather walked all the way back to Northern Italy.

Also he had an unexploded bomb fall in front of his home.

Edited by Devi

I know what you mean: Ww2 made a lot of tragic disasters everywhere. Primo Levi's books are important because we have to know the past to improve our future. Where were your grandparents from, Devi? I didn't know there was italian blood in your veins.. it's nice.

Yes it is. We read it since we are children here in Italy, because Levi is one of the most important writer of italian literature. He's really important from an hystorical point of view too, you know, because he was in Auschwitz and so on. You should read his books and believe me, you won't regret it.

Reading If Not Now, When? has certainly made me want to read his other books Eleonora. 

My dads Italian as you know, and my great grandfather on his side was a prisoner of war in Africa in one of the camps during ww2. When Italy sided with the allies, they released all the prisoners and they had to make their own way back home, or fight with the allies, so my great grandfather walked all the way back to Northern Italy.

Also he had an unexploded bomb fall in front of his home.

That's really interesting Devi, i didn't know your dad was Italian. My dad was a soldier in WW2 & he has lots of  stories he never saw frontline action but he likes to talk about all the silly & sometimes dangerous things he got up to with his friends that you wouldn't do in peacetime but he says none of it mattered because you knew you could be dead the next day. It's hard to imagine what that must feel like.

Dead Man Walking  Sister Helen Prejan

In 1982 Sister Helen Prejean, a catholic nun became the spiritual advisor to Patrick Sonnier a convicted killer sentenced to die in the electric chair of Louisiana's Angola State Prison. In this book she writes of her experience as a spirtual advisor to death row inmates & argues persuasively for the abolition of the death penalty. Interesting & enlightening this book was a good read although i'm not sure how up to date some of the information is as it was published in the 1990's 

4/5

Still Missing  Beth Gutcheon

First Published in 1981, Still Missing was translated into 14 languages & has been continously in print in the USA ever since. In 1983 it was made into a film called Without A Trace starring Kate Nelligan. I first heard about it on Radio4's A Good Read & added it to my Amazon wishlist where it has remained for quite some while, mainly because at £12 for the paperback i felt it was a bit too pricey then by a lucky chance i found a copy at my local library. The book is about Alex a 6 year old boy who goes missing one morning walking the 2 blocks from his home to school, the subsequent investigation & the effect his disappearance has on his mother & father, family, friends & local community. I would compare this book to the wonderful Red Leaves Thomas H. Cook but to be honest it completely blows it out of the water. This is simply one of the best books i've ever read it's all of those literary cliches heart-rending, an emotional rollercoaster, gripping to the last page & more. 

5/5

I know what you mean: Ww2 made a lot of tragic disasters everywhere. Primo Levi's books are important because we have to know the past to improve our future. Where were your grandparents from, Devi? I didn't know there was italian blood in your veins.. it's nice.

My dad was born in Spinea, which is in northern italy not far from Mestre, as I imagine you know.

As for my great grandad, somewhere north is all we do know. My dad passed away in 2004, and it's hard to get ahold of my other family in Italy, I will try and find out though.

That's really interesting Devi, i didn't know your dad was Italian. My dad was a soldier in WW2 & he has lots of  stories he never saw frontline action but he likes to talk about all the silly & sometimes dangerous things he got up to with his friends that you wouldn't do in peacetime but he says none of it mattered because you knew you could be dead the next day. It's hard to imagine what that must feel like.

I found out that one of my best friends great grandfather who was a rat of tobruk, fought against my great grandad in Africa at around the same time as they were in pretty much the same area. I thought that was pretty amazing.

Edited by Devi

First Published in 1981, Still Missing was translated into 14 languages & has been continously in print in the USA ever since. In 1983 it was made into a film called Without A Trace starring Kate Nelligan. I first heard about it on Radio4's A Good Read & added it to my Amazon wishlist where it has remained for quite some while, mainly because at £12 for the paperback i felt it was a bit too pricey then by a lucky chance i found a copy at my local library. The book is about Alex a 6 year old boy who goes missing one morning walking the 2 blocks from his home to school, the subsequent investigation & the effect his disappearance has on his mother & father, family, friends & local community. I would compare this book to the wonderful Red Leaves Thomas H. Cook but to be honest it completely blows it out of the water. This is simply one of the best books i've ever read it's all of those literary cliches heart-rending, an emotional rollercoaster, gripping to the last page & more. 

5/5

See, here's another book to add to my TBR shelf. This isn't healthy... :giggle2:

5/5

I read this years ago, and you are right - it is an outstanding story. There are details of it that have stayed with me for years, including the dogs name and the beautifully understated emotional scenes. Great review Kidsmum. :smile:

It sounds great.  :)  I wonder if my library has it?

ETA:  It's in the area covered by our library system - I've added it to my wish list.  :)

Thank goodness for libraries :readingtwo:  i've discovered quite a few books from my wishlist are on the library catalogue although the more recent ones have long waiting lists but hey it's not like i don't have anything to read while i'm waiting  :D

I found out that one of my best friends great grandfather who was a rat of tobruk, fought against my great grandad in Africa at around the same time as they were in pretty much the same area. I thought that was pretty amazing.

That's amazing Devi :smile: Have you ever thought of doing your family tree i bet it would be really interesting?

See, here's another book to add to my TBR shelf. This isn't healthy... :giggle2:

Nonsense, there's nothing healthier looking than a well stocked shelf  :D

I read this years ago, and you are right - it is an outstanding story. There are details of it that have stayed with me for years, including the dogs name and the beautifully understated emotional scenes. Great review Kidsmum. :smile:

Thanks Chrissy it certainly was an outstanding book  :smile:

I've added Still Missing to my wishlist. It's a shame it's not available on Kindle. If it's comparable to Red Leaves then it must be good, as I found that book amazing.

Hope you enjoy it Bobbly, it's worth checking out the library catalogue to see if it's available in your area as it is a bit on the pricey side  :smile:

I visited my favourite charity shops yesterday & came home with

Black Diamonds The Rise & Fall of an English Dynasty  Catherine Bailey - I'm determined to read more non fiction this year & this caught my eye.

The House On The Strand  Daphne Du Maurier - i loved this book when i first read it when i was much younger. I've picked up other Du Maurier books in charity shops over the years but this is the first time i 've spotted this one so i snapped it up straight away.

Sharpe's Devil  Bernard Cornwell- another one for the collection.

The Accidental Tourist  Anne Tyler - I enjoyed her book Digging For America so i was really pleased to see this one under a pile of grubby looking paperbacks a bargain at 79p  :smile:

Dropped some stuff off at the charity shop this morning & came out with

The Amateur Marriage  Anne Tyler

Crystal Rooms  Melvyn Bragg

& for the children

War Horse  Michael Morpurgo

Alfie All Alone  Holly Webb

Regarding my family tree on my fathers side, currently in talks with my cousins in Italy regarding my dads side of the family.

If you like I can let you know what I find out - its ok if you don't want me to. It's ok to say no! :)

Regarding my family tree on my fathers side, currently in talks with my cousins in Italy regarding my dads side of the family.

If you like I can let you know what I find out - its ok if you don't want me to. It's ok to say no! :)

I would be really interested to hear what you find out Devi  :D

Hi kidsmum  I like the sound of all the latest books you have been reading.

Hi VF  I've read some great books so far this year & my mojo's flying high, long may it continue  :cows:

One of my  book resolutions was to read some Dickens this year so yesterday i started Bleak House. The size of the book is a bit daunting & i'm finding it's taking me longer to read than usual so i'm only about 50 pages in  but i am enjoying what i've read so far.

One of my  book resolutions was to read some Dickens this year so yesterday i started Bleak House. The size of the book is a bit daunting & i'm finding it's taking me longer to read than usual so i'm only about 50 pages in  but i am enjoying what i've read so far.

My favourite Dickens so far, and one of my all time top half dozen. Glad you're enjoying it so early. He can take a bit of getting going, and it helps if you go for his descriptive prose (that first chapter on London fog is superb IMO), but the interweaving of its multitude of strands and Dickens's masterly juggling of one of the biggest cast lists I've ever come across take some beating. If ever a book stood for a genre, this stands for the big Victorian novel (although one or two others could, I admit, challenge for the part!). All it needs is time!

I look forward to read how you get on with this one. I haven't read any Dickens yet, I'm intimidated by the size and complexity of the novels. I was going to try Oliver Twist first, because I know the story of that a bit (I saw a play/musical on it once) and because it's one of the shorter novels. I hope you have fun reading Bleak House :).