Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

I should still be able to fulfill my quota of 'novels that I really shouldn't buy until I've read the ones I've already got' :D

I've already hit my quota! :blush:

damn sales...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already hit my quota! :blush:

damn sales...

:lol:

I haven't bought any books this year . . . :o:giggle2:

Adding this to my wishlist, though :smile:

ETA: Oh, it's already on there :lol: Hmm, wonder how long I'll hold out for . . .

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Just purchase the book while your wallets not looking! That's what I have been doing :giggle:

Edited by Devi

Does anyone know anything about tumblr.com? I was just doing a search for quotes from a particular Malazan character and found my photo of my Erikson collection has somehow been posted on their website :dunno:

http://www.tumblr.co...allen?before=39

Time to get this thread back on track, I think. :smile:

Book #2: The Eye of the World (Book One of The Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan

WheelofTime1_zps244e40ae.jpg

No blurb. There’s nothing too spoilery in here, other than the tagged part, cos I know Devi and Tim might be reading it soon . . .

I’ve managed to stay clear of spoilers from this series for all these years, too, so going in I really wasn’t quite sure what to expect. It’s quite a daunting prospect (14 novels plus a prequel), and then I’ve read comments from so many people saying how the series falls away in the middle, so I’ve been putting it off constantly. In the intervening years I have become a fan of the newer, grittier breed of fantasy. As a result, I think I sat down to it in the wrong frame of mind.

The prologue was dark and intriguing enough to make me think I might get the kind of story I like, telling of the aftermath of some cataclysmic event, as the last two combatants trade final blows. It looked like it could be good. Two hundred pages later I commented to a friend that I was unsure about it. On the one hand, it's very easy reading and I don't have to engage my brain to follow it. On the other hand, it's very easy reading and I don't have to engage my brain to follow it. The minuses were outweighing the pluses.

After the prologue the story immediately devolves into a generic, heard-it-all-before farmboy-with-a-destiny tale, populated by bland, two-dimensional characters. It has none of the wit or charm or memorable characters that made David Eddings’s Belgariad such a winner. Admittedly, this is – I think – aimed at a slightly older audience, but this doesn’t prevent the main characters constantly, repeatedly bemoaning their lack of understanding of women, or whining about their lot in life. It is a story completely lacking in invention or originality. It rips off other authors left right and centre, especially Tolkien, even Frank Herbert.

Group of friends pulled out of their idyllic life and sent on journey pursued by forces of Shadow – check

Magic wielder whose motives are unclear – check

Mysterious warrior who may or may not be a king – check

Item of treasure that exerts its power on the owner – check

The protagonists are pursued by Fades (Nazgul) and their armies of Trollocs (Orcs). Um, Trollocs? Seriously?? I hate to badmouth the departed, but could he not have come up with a better name than that? :doh: Unless it’s rhyming slang, in which case carry on! :giggle2: The Fades are even dressed in black and ride black horses. :rolleyes:

After three hundred pages I almost gave up. Almost. Not even halfway through the book. But I kept reminding myself about the people who give up on Steven Erikson after a couple of hundred pages of Gardens of the Moon (no, Kay, that isn’t a dig!), and how I feel those people are missing out on something so unique and special as a result. I don’t think I could say to anyone to keep going with that series if I didn’t do so myself with this. It can’t be so popular without having something going for it, surely?

I realise I’ve done nothing but point out negatives so far. But I finished the book, and I ended up really quite enjoying it. It is easy to read. The simple story does mean you can put your thinkymeatz in ‘neutral’ and just go along for the ride. At the end of the day, you need this sort of book sometimes.

The second half of the novel picks up considerably. I think, once I passed the 300-page mark I finally found the right frame of mind for it. There is one particular thing that happens to one of the characters that caught my interest, and that made me keep reading. I’m glad I did. The writing is okay without being great. Repetition is a bugbear. Had I read it in my teens (which would be difficult, seeing as it wasn’t published then!) I imagine I would have loved it. As it is, with me coming to it so late, it’s a story out of time, a relatively diverting, almost nostalgic, glimpse back to when fantasy was just this, before braver authors decided to subvert the genre and do something new with it.

This opinion is obviously only based on this, the first book. I hope things might get darker and more original with the subsequent novels. But, considering where I was after three hundred pages, I am rather pleasantly surprised to report that – unlike Abu Qatada – I probably will be returning to Jordan in the not too distant future. Colour me stunned.

7/10

They'll probably invent a pop-up that asks if you found everything you were looking for and tries to sell you a chocolate bar for a £1 :roll2:

Oh dear, I hope not! I would give in and buy the chocolate every time. :blush2:

Oh dear, my reputation is spreading: http://www.teamliqui...pic_id=226699#3

:giggle2:

I didn't realise where your user name came from before. When I clicked on the link, the first thing I read was "Karsa's my second favourite! It's really weird because at first I really hated him and thought he was an idiot - except it turns out that's what everyone thinks he is." :giggle2:

the first thing I read was "Karsa's my second favourite! It's really weird because at first I really hated him and thought he was an idiot - except it turns out that's what everyone thinks he is." :giggle2:

:lol: Yeah, that's why I posted it. I'm glad someone spotted that I wasn't trying to blow my own trumpet :lol::D

Great review! I have to admit it took me a while too before I really started to like the first book, the first part of it is a bit generic (as you said). The rest of the books (save from one or two) are much more interesting and I hope you'll stick with the series and discover all the good parts of it.

Great review Steve, to be honest that is exactly what I thought it would be like, and I think it will pick up once you get to know the characters more and the story develops. I'm glad you stuck with it, I shall have to do the same now!

It'll be interesting to see what you think, Tim. I hope you enjoy it :smile:

Great review! I have to admit it took me a while too before I really started to like the first book, the first part of it is a bit generic (as you said). The rest of the books (save from one or two) are much more interesting and I hope you'll stick with the series and discover all the good parts of it.

Thanks Athena. I expect I'll read The Great Hunt soon-ish, as I already have it :smile:

I'm still trying to decide what to read next. I'm thinking I might have a crack at The Iliad :hide:

I'm still trying to decide what to read next. I'm thinking I might have a crack at The Iliad :hide:

Ooh, ambitious! I was discussing The Iliad and The Odyssey with a friend the other day; I only have The Odyssey on my TBR pile, but apparently I need to read The Iliad first. Trust me to buy the second book first. :doh:

Ooh, ambitious! I was discussing The Iliad and The Odyssey with a friend the other day; I only have The Odyssey on my TBR pile, but apparently I need to read The Iliad first. Trust me to buy the second book first. :doh:

:lol: I doubt it's absolutely necessary to read them in order. You pretty much know what happened at Troy, after all, and I don't believe The Odyssey picks up immediately after those events anyway :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Had to laugh at the US Government's response to the petition raised for the construction of a Death Star:

"The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

• The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
  • The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
  • Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?"

:lol:

https://petitions.wh...e-youre-looking

Death Star thing is funny.

Good review of the Wheel Of Time book 1. I haven't read it but it does seem very derivative. (thinking: Tolkien lite). I think he should have called the creatures Trollopes instead . That would have been far more interesting being chased about the countryside by trollopes.