Books You're Looking Forward To In 2013

chesilbeach

Since quite a few of us have started planning our reading lists for next year, I thought I'd start the annual thread about the books being published in 2013 that you're most looking forward to.

Mine are:

Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

This will be Sittenfeld's fourth novel, and I've enjoyed reading her first three, so this one features high up on my wish list, especially as it's been three years since American Wife was published

The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons

Another author whose books I've enjoyed so far, Solomons will be publishing her third novel in 2013, and I am very interested to read this one too.

I'm sure I'm come across others as time goes on, but these two, both published in June, are top of my wish list at the moment.

What books are you looking forward to?

Edited by chesilbeach

I have no idea!

If you guys have any info about websites providing lists of books published in 2013, I'm sure a few members on here would appreciate it and could take a look at them :) I have no idea where to look, myself :shrug:

Edit: Excellent idea for a thread, naturally! :D

I have no idea!

If you guys have any info about websites providing lists of books published in 2013, I'm sure a few members on here would appreciate it and could take a look at them :) I have no idea where to look, myself :shrug:

Edit: Excellent idea for a thread, naturally! :D

I tend to just look at my favourite authors on http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk or search book sellers such as Amazon and Waterstone's to see upcoming new releases by my favourite authors.

Other than that, it's only if I come across books mentioned in newspaper articles - there will probably be an article in most papers in the next week looking forward to next year in publishing, so I'll be scanning those for new books too. :)

Edited by chesilbeach

I tend to just look at my favourite authors on http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk or search book sellers such as Amazon and Waterstone's to see upcoming new releases by my favourite authors.

That's of course the most reasonable idea, but I'm afraid that I'm personally so far behind on my reading my fave authors' books that I sometimes just dare not look at their websites :blush: For example, I love the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay, but I haven't bought his latest novel and can only dream of the one he'll be publishing soon. Or did he publish it already.... I'm so awful at keeping up!

Other than that, it's only if I come across books mentioned in newspaper articles - there will probably be an article in most papers in the next week looking forward to next year in publishing, so I'll be scanning those for new books too. :)

That's another excellent idea! Although yet again, I don't read magazines and especially foreign ones :blush:

I should just do what you advised and google my favorite authors and have it done :lol:

The ones I'm most looking forward to are:

Stuart MacBride - Close to the Bone (Logan McRae #8) - January 2013

Christopher Brookmyre - Bedlam - February 2013

Christopher Brookmyre - Flesh Wounds - August 2013

Philippa Gregory - The White Princess (Cousins' War #5) - August 2013

Kelley Armstrong - Omens (Omens and Shadows #1) - August 2013

I'd love it if there were another Richard Castle book in hardback, but it looks like the only release forthcoming for 2013 is an audio book of Storm Front. Of course, if his "out of print" books were to be released in a hardback format, I'd be all over them!!!

Of course, I won't be able to buy any of them for myself, as I have made a pledge to buy no books at all in 2013. Therefore I have to hope I will be given them as gifts for my birthday which is in September!!!

The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons

Another author whose books I've enjoyed so far, Solomons will be publishing her third novel in 2013, and I am very interested to read this one too.

I'm also looking forward to this. I was lucky enough to get her last novel free from her publishers after I commented on her blog.

I can't, can't, can't wait for And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini - it's been so long in coming! It's out in hardback on 21 May 2013 - I might not be able to wait for the paperback like I usually do.

I'm hoping Helen Simonson might have a new book out soon, but no news on it yet.

If you guys have any info about websites providing lists of books published in 2013,

Lots of lists here frankie : http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/2013

And as for me, I'm still lost in books written decades ago; I have no idea about the new ones - so not really looking forward to anything.

Edited by bree

Of course, I won't be able to buy any of them for myself, as I have made a pledge to buy no books at all in 2013. Therefore I have to hope I will be given them as gifts for my birthday which is in September!!!

Holy hecks, Kell, that's some serious New Years Resolution! :o Good luck to you, be thy will strong.

(Does book swapping count?)

Lots of lists here frankie : http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/2013

Oooh, thanks bree, I'll check that out! :)

I get a lot of my upcoming book info from Goodreads too, although it takes a long time to trawl through their lists - young adult series books (the types that I don't read) usually comprise 99% of the list. Still, it will be fun! I usually find online newspaper articles too, which tend to list the types of books that I'm more interested in. Frankie, you could also check out the Book Depository's upcoming releases section, although that's pretty extensive too, I think.

For now, though, I'm interested in Charlaine Harris's final Sookie Stackhouse book and Natasha Solomons' new book.

I get a lot of my upcoming book info from Goodreads too, although it takes a long time to trawl through their lists - young adult series books (the types that I don't read) usually comprise 99% of the list. Still, it will be fun! I usually find online newspaper articles too, which tend to list the types of books that I'm more interested in. Frankie, you could also check out the Book Depository's upcoming releases section, although that's pretty extensive too, I think.

I did take a look at the Goodreads lists, but it was mostly YA series, like you said, or paranormal in general, and it was mostly the same titles over and over again, in different polls. I will definitely take a look at the appropriate BD section, though, thanks! :)

I have found a good list of books here, although it's an Australian website and, as such, it has Oz release dates and a strong bias towards Australian authors (which I recommend checking out anyway, of course!). From this article, the following books interest me the most. Quotes are from the SMH website.

Fiction

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (final novel in the Oryx and Crake trilogy!)

The Swan Book by Alexis Wright (futuristic vision)

Non-Fiction

1927 by Bill Bryson

The God Argument by AC Grayling ('anti-religion opus')

World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond ('what we can learn from traditional societies')

Visitants by Dave Eggers (travel writing)

Z by Therese Anne Fowler (bio of Zelda Fitzgerald)

Miles by Maggie MacKellar (bio of Aussie author Miles Franklin)

My Brief Life by Stephen Hawking ('based on a lecture, with...rare personal detail')

Damned if You Do by Philip Nitschke (about euthanasia)

Destroying the Joint by Jane Caro (ed) ('a collection of prominent Australian women's responses to Alan Jones', who is a nasty, loud-mouthed, racist misogynist).

Thanks for posting that, Chesil.

I have Wool by Hugh Howey on my wishlist as someone here had recommended it.

I've added the Jared Diamond one to my wishlist as I really liked The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee. Also, I'm glad Margaret Atwood has another one coming out thought I have to re-read the prequels to refresh my memory. Doctor Sleep by Stephen King is another one I'm looking forward to.

Quite a few interesting sounding books but the stand outs for me are

Ghana Must Go Taiye Selasi

Kith Jay Griffiths

Life After Life Kate Atkinson

The Roundhouse Louise Edrich

And The Mountain Echoed Khaled Hosseini