Ben's Book Bonanza, 2013.

Ben

I'm reading a 'Wordsworth Classics' of the same ilk - it's not abridged but the type is smaller which is why there are fewer pages. They're only RRP £1.99 - this is how they keep costs down. :)

That makes perfect sense to me, Janet. :smile2:

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading a 'Wordsworth Classics' of the same ilk - it's not abridged but the type is smaller which is why there are fewer pages. They're only RRP £1.99 - this is how they keep costs down. :)

That makes perfect sense to me, Janet. :smile2:

So it seems I have nothing to fear with my copy! :D

Next up Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier.

Synopsis:

When John Dowell and his wife befriend Edward and Leonora Ashburnham they appear to be the perfect couple. He is a distinguished soldier and she is beautiful and intelligent. However, what lies beneath the surface of their marriage is far more sinister and their influence leads John into a tragic drama that threatens to destroy everything he cares about.

Better get cracking, see how much of a dent I can put in this university reading list.

Looking forward to your review of The Good Solder, Ben, I have been meaning to read it for the last year :)

Would help if I got moving and actually sat down to read it. I've just spent hours on goodreads and lounging around instead, need to get it together - it's not exactly a long book. I will let you know how I find it when I finally log off. :lol:

Decided to read something alongside The Good Soldier to keep my reading moving, so have started Ngúgí Wa Thiong'o's The River Between. It is another book on my African diaspora module, so I'm expecting it to be somewhat similar to Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart.

Synopsis:

Christian missionaries attempt to outlaw the female circumcision ritual and in the process create a terrible rift between the two Kikuyu communities on either side of the river. The people are torn between those who believe in Western/Christian education and the opportunities it will offer, and those who feel that only unquestioned loyalty to past traditions will save them. The growing conflict brings tragedy to a pair of young lovers who attempted to bridge the deepening chasm.

Finished The River Between which was indeed written in the same vein as Achebe's novel, but which I found more enjoyable - it seemed to have a much more interesting, faster-paced narrative. Will give it a 4/5 and add it to the to-review pile (which I'll get around to eventually). I'm now making a start on Ian McEwan's novel Saturday - another book for my contemporary British fiction module.

Synopsis:

Saturday, February 15, 2003. Henry Perowne is a contented man- a successful neurosurgeon, the devoted husband of Rosalind and proud father of two grown-up children. Unusually, he wakes before dawn, drawn to the window of his bedroom and filled with a growing unease. What troubles him as he looks out at the night sky is the state of the world - the impending war against Iraq, a gathering pessimism since 9/11, and a fear that his city and his happy family life are under threat. Later, Perowne makes his way to his weekly squash game through London streets filled with hundreds of thousands of anti-war protestors. A minor car accident brings him into a confrontation with Baxter, a fidgety, aggressive, young man, on the edge of violence. To Perowne's professional eye, there appears to be something profoundly wrong with him. Towards the end of a day rich in incident and filled with Perowne's celebrations of life's pleasures, his family gathers for a reunion. But with the sudden appearance of Baxter, Perowne's earlier fears seem about to be realised.

Definitely sounds like one of the more interesting synopsis on my list. Perhaps if I enjoy it I'll finally get around to Atonement.

Edited by Ben

I hope you get on better with Saturday than I did, Ben! I didn't enjoy it at all, but I read it for my library reading group, and it was a bit of a marmite book, so maybe you'll be in the LOVE it group :D At least it's reasonably short - the only thing in its favour for me.

Edited by chesilbeach

I hope you get on better with Saturday than I did, Ben! I didn't enjoy it at all, but I read it for my library reading group, and it was a bit of a marmite book, so maybe you'll be in the LOVE it group :D At least it's reasonably short - the only thing in its favour for me.

Oh no that doesn't sound promising. It's started well and I love McEwan's writing style, however, so we shall see.

Well, that's where we differ already then! I'm not a fan of McEwan, so if you are, then you've got a better chance of liking it than me :D

In fairness I did mean at the start of this novel, because I haven't read any of his others, but fingers crossed I'll enjoy. :smile2:

Finished McEwan's Saturday and although I can see why some people really don't like it, and even leave it unfinished, I did actually really enjoy it. Thought it was witty, thought-provoking, and clever in transforming the mundane details of every-day life. I'll give it a 4/5 and add it to the 'to-review list' which I'll have some time to work on soon. I'm now starting Zadie Smith's début novel White Teeth.

Synopsis:

Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" is a classic international bestseller and an unforgettable portrait of London. One of the most talked about fictional debuts of ever, "White Teeth" is a funny, generous, big-hearted novel, adored by critics and readers alike. Dealing - among many other things - with friendship, love, war, three cultures and three families over three generations, one brown mouse, and the tricky way the past has of coming back and biting you on the ankle, it is a life-affirming, riotous must-read of a book. "

Couldn't find a better synopsis that actually tells me something about the book, but I guess I'll just starting reading it and find out. :giggle:

Edited by Ben

Can't wait to see what you think of White Teeth, I keep seeing it in second hand shops but I've put off buying it so far.

My contemporary British literature module definitely seems to be throwing up some different reads than I'm used to studying for university, and I'm hoping this is no different. White Teeth seems to have been received well critically and publicly, so here's hoping. I'll get back to you when I'm done.

I really loved White Teeth. Unfortunately I can't remember much about it but I do remember enjoying all of it.

Well the fact that you enjoyed it thoroughly is promising, at least.

What did you think of the ending of Saturday?

Will put this in spoiler brackets just to ere on the side of caution for anyone else:

I thought it was interesting, but in some ways disappointing. I mean, the book for the most part made a huge deal about the fact that in this day and age even the most ideal of family life-style's (which in some way's the Perowne's have with their nice home, successful jobs, etc.) can be broken up, damaged by outside forces; but it seems to end with a bit of a whimper. For the most part things haven't changed much in my eyes. Sure, Daisy's pregnant and things will change in that sense, but in a book concerned largely with morality and the state of the world, it doesn't seem like their successful lives in their little square have been greatly affected. Although maybe they will start seeing things in a different light now, and that's the point..

I mean, I don't know if I'm making much sense there, and I'll try to expand on what I'm trying to say when I write a proper review, but hopefully you get the gist; was disappointing in some ways but also to me seems to wrap up things up quite well. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts, as I'm sure they'd make a whole lot more sense than mine. :lol:

Edited by Ben

Coincidentally The Count of Monte Christo is one of the classics I'm determined to read this year! (I thought it would be another huge read, but just googled it and amazon had an edition with only 440 pages...)

And Frankie, if you see this, my heart dropped into my stomach when I saw you say 440 pages of Monte Cristo! DEFINITELY over a thousand, and what a glorious thousand pages they are! It's such an epic book :giggle:

My heart dropped too. Phew! I'm glad you realised it was abridged before you got yourself a copy.

Devi, I'm certain your edition is unabridged. I had a Wordsworth edition too (with a blue cover), and mine had teeny tiny print. Even then, it was around 1000 pages long, I think. I lent it to my ex, who accidentally got it waterlogged when we were out in the rain once. He was mortified and said he would replace it, but never did. I didn't really care; I would have been happy to get my waterlogged edition back, but he hung onto that, and now I have no copy at all. :( And he didn't even appreciate the story that much! Just another reason to hate the ex.

I was going to replace it with a nicer edition anyway, although I haven't found one good enough yet. I think I'd like a hardback.

Devi, I'm certain your edition is unabridged. I had a Wordsworth edition too (with a blue cover), and mine had teeny tiny print. Even then, it was around 1000 pages long, I think. I lent it to my ex, who accidentally got it waterlogged when we were out in the rain once. He was mortified and said he would replace it, but never did. I didn't really care; I would have been happy to get my waterlogged edition back, but he hung onto that, and now I have no copy at all. :( And he didn't even appreciate the story that much! Just another reason to hate the ex.

I was going to replace it with a nicer edition anyway, although I haven't found one good enough yet. I think I'd like a hardback.

Thank you for that :) I would hate to start reading it only to find out I got the abridged edition! I would be heart broken.

Ah Kylie your ex sounds like a right old *grumbles several not-so-nice words under his breath*. I do hope that you find a nice copy in future. :friends0:

In other news, last night I finished Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier which was an interesting one. I mean, at first I found the non-linear narrative structure and language frustrating, and at times confusing, but in some ways the narrator's rambling style endeared his character to me - after all, he is telling a story that must be hard to reflect upon. I also found that the gradual revealing of different parts of the characters' personalities, and their actions, kept me intrigued and turning the pages (whereas if it was boring I may have lost interest altogether).

May not review this one properly (although I still might) so for now I'll leave my thoughts at that, and give it a 3/5.

I did notice people discussing this and it definitely sounds interesting. The Remains of the Day is a slow-burner at the start, at least in my opinion, but I enjoy Ishiguro's writing so I'll be sure to check out his other works. Cheers for the recommendation, Frankie. :smile2:

You're very welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of the novel if/when you get to it :)

:haha: Would have been a bit of a shock. I suppose if you're reading it though you must do it properly, it really is a fantastic book.

And Frankie, if you see this, my heart dropped into my stomach when I saw you say 440 pages of Monte Cristo! DEFINITELY over a thousand, and what a glorious thousand pages they are! It's such an epic book :giggle:

My heart dropped too. Phew! I'm glad you realised it was abridged before you got yourself a copy.

:D Sorry to have you guys worried, and sorry for the physical distress and heart problems I caused you, Noll and Kylie :giggle2: When I was discussing the book with Ben, I quickly 'amazoned' the book and I took a look at the page number of the first edition that popped up. I didn't check out any of the other details. And not to worry, I don't read abridged versions and I'm definitely gunning for the unabridged, complete novel. :yes: Carry on!

Finished The Black Album by Hanif Kureishi and found it a very enjoyable read. I've been feeling slightly ill the past few days, and not really up to writing reviews or attempting to structure my thoughts coherently. So in an effort to avoid not making much sense, I'll do them at a later date. I'll leave this post here as a reminder of the one's I need to catch up on (which I will do soon).

Was this your first Kureishi? I have a friend who's read many of his novels and enjoyed all of them, so I think he's supposed to be good.

Was this your first Kureishi? I have a friend who's read many of his novels and enjoyed all of them, so I think he's supposed to be good.

It is indeed, that's promising, I'd definitely be interested in checking out some more of his work. Have you read any of his books?

It is indeed, that's promising, I'd definitely be interested in checking out some more of his work. Have you read any of his books?

I haven't yet, but I have a copy of his The Buddha of Suburbia (which is either a 1001 Books read or a Rory read, or quite possibly both, even) and I've read the first few lines a few times and I see I could get really easily into the novel. It seems like a promising read, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it for some reason :shrug:

I haven't yet, but I have a copy of his The Buddha of Suburbia (which is either a 1001 Books read or a Rory read, or quite possibly both, even) and I've read the first few lines a few times and I see I could get really easily into the novel. It seems like a promising read, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it for some reason :shrug:

Well, that makes sense, guess it's just one of those you'll hopefully eventually get around to reading. If you start it before I read any more of his books, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it. Or if your friend recommends anything in particular that Kureishi has written, just let me know. Wouldn't have a clue which one to read next.

Well, that makes sense, guess it's just one of those you'll hopefully eventually get around to reading. If you start it before I read any more of his books, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it. Or if your friend recommends anything in particular that Kureishi has written, just let me know. Wouldn't have a clue which one to read next.

So I assume you don't have any of his books on your TBR pile then? I honestly think that, like you said, it's just a matter of time when I pick up the book, and I will enjoy it :) I'm not sure, are you doing the 1001 Books challenge or the Rory challenge? If so, The Buddha would be a convenient place to start :) But I think that my friend liked all of his books so I guess you would be good to go with any of them. Have you watched all of the GG seasons yet, by the way? I keep losing track, we've recommended the TV series to so many people it's sometimes impossible to remember who of you have started and finished with it :)