Ben's Book Bonanza, 2013.

Ben

Well, that's the first book of the year finished, and it was definitely an interesting one; it stayed with my for a long time after I'd finished it, and I'm still deliberating as to whether I actually enjoyed it or not.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Things Fall Apart tells the story of Okonkwo; a great warrior who is feared and renowned across West Africa for his power and ruthlessness. He is an important, influential figure in his clan, and rules with an iron first; both in decisions for the village, and within his own household. It is a reputation he has built out of a resolute attitude that he will not become like his father; lazy and useless, often in debt to his neighbours. Instead he works from a young age to prosper, to have wealth and success, and to ultimately take the important titles of his clan.

Achebe writes about a period of time and a place much different to ours, and often it seems difficult to wrap your head around Okonkwo's actions, which regularly includes the frequent beating of his children and wives. His village is one filled with superstition, its own values and beliefs alien to our ears; some of them downright shocking to hear about. Yet only with the acceptance that this is a community far apart from modern day, do we learn to move on with the narrative - even if we do not agree with their actions.

Okwonko is the definition of patriarchal; mean and fearless, believing his power, wealth and position to be secure. Yet even early on we see the cracks through his inward thinking, his doubts that only the reader can see - on the surface he retains his authoritative demeanour. As the narrative progresses, though, things begin to 'fall apart' around him, and he is eventually exiled for seven years from his village due to a terrible, though inadvertently committed crime. In the lands of his mother's family, he plots his return and steadily prospers, but things are changing in the winds.

The author cleverly intertwines the colonial advances of the British, as we see white men arrive and start to preach their own beliefs. It seems at first that Achebe portrays them as ignorant of native values, too eager to present their Western ideals - which they believe to be resolutely right. Yet contrasted with the violent attitudes of Okwonko and certain others, they seem somewhat peaceful. Of course, the author reveals the true attitudes of the colonisers late on in the text, and perhaps suggests that the natives were indeed forced to act violently in response to the threat to their villages.

Things Fall Apart is a sad tale of one man's eagerness to protect his land, his village, and his beliefs. Achebe writes cleverly, twisting the narrative so that in some ways you never really know who to sympathise with. Perhaps the author here suggests that the history of colonialism has more than one face to blame. At times, the language is tricky to grasp, with many traditional words from the language of the Igbo people, and descriptions of their culture. Yet the flow of the narrative is gripping and it's plot is a page-turner. In the end, Okwonko's defiance and violent disposition threatens to bubble over - but will it ultimately cause his downfall?

3/5.

Edited by Ben

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:haha: In which case it should be easy to not like him. :P I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Thanks, I definitely agree with what you say about having to be in the right mood. I tried a couple of times to get through The Count of Monte Cristo a few years ago before abandoning it, whereas I polished it off in a few days last year, so I definitely need to be in the right frame of mind. :smile2:

Coincidentally The Count of Monte Christo is one of the classics I'm determined to read this year! (I thought it would be another huge read, but just googled it and amazon had an edition with only 440 pages...) That's another thing I find very important in books: it's crucial to recognise when one's just not in the right mood and might find the book at hand really amazing some other time, and when it's just a book that's so bad there's never going to be a right time to read it. Like you, I advocate second chances and finding the right mood for every book :)

But that's enough of me pestering you, carry on, sir :D

Coincidentally The Count of Monte Christo is one of the classics I'm determined to read this year! (I thought it would be another huge read, but just googled it and amazon had an edition with only 440 pages...)

Interesting, I'm quite sure mine was well over a thousand. Granted that was with introductions and notes and whatnot but 440 still seems a bit sparse to me. Nevertheless, enjoy! I can't wait to hear what you think when you get around to it. :smile2:

That's another thing I find very important in books: it's crucial to recognise when one's just not in the right mood and might find the book at hand really amazing some other time, and when it's just a book that's so bad there's never going to be a right time to read it. Like you, I advocate second chances and finding the right mood for every book :)

Oh without a doubt, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I mean there's some books that you just know you're not going to enjoy, or that you instantly find awful. But for the most part I tend to come back to most in due course and give it another shot. I've failed to get more than thirty pages in with Crime and Punishment both times I've tried, but I'm still convinced I'll find it amazing when I'm in the right mood.

But that's enough of me pestering you, carry on, sir :D

Ah pest all you like, can't think of anything better than endless book discussions. ;)

Edited by Ben

Moving on to Kazuo Ishiguro's novel The Remains of the Day, the first novel on my Contemporary British Literature module.

Synopsis:

In the summer of 1956, Stevens, the ageing butler of Darlington Hall, embarks on a leisurely holiday that will take him deep into the countryside and into his past.

Looking forward to this one, I have Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go on TBR that I haven't managed to get around to reading yet, so if this is enjoyable it is good to know that I have another one of his books waiting for my perusal.

Edited by Ben

Things Fall Apart sounds like an interesting read! I like books from a different cultural point of view.

Interesting, I'm quite sure mine was well over a thousand. Granted that was with introductions and notes and whatnot but 440 still seems a bit sparse to me. Nevertheless, enjoy! I can't wait to hear what you think when you get around to it.

You're right! I went back and looked up the title I'd looked at before, and realised it was a well edited version :lol: Sheesh! I'm happy you cleared this for me before I went to the library and realised that the unabridged versions are a whole lot longer than that... :D

Oh without a doubt, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I mean there's some books that you just know you're not going to enjoy, or that you instantly find awful. But for the most part I tend to come back to most in due course and give it another shot. I've failed to get more than thirty pages in with Crime and Punishment both times I've tried, but I'm still convinced I'll find it amazing when I'm in the right mood.

Most definitely :) I hope you find the right time to read the novel this year and enjoy the heck out of it! :)

Moving on to Kazuo Ishiguro's novel The Remains of Day, the first novel on my Contemporary British Literature module.

Synopsis:

In the summer of 1956, Stevens, the ageing butler of Darlington Hall, embarks on a leisurely holiday that will take him deep into the countryside and into his past.

Looking forward to this one, I have Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go on TBR that I haven't managed to get around to reading yet, so if this is enjoyable it is good to know that I have another one of his books waiting for my perusal.

I think I have this on my TBR, but I wanted to say that if you enjoy this one and would like to read more Ishiguro, I would recommend A Pale View of Hills. There were a few members discussing the novel with Nollaig in her thread yesterday, check it out if you like.

Things Fall Apart sounds like an interesting read! I like books from a different cultural point of view.

So do I. I had a lot of that last semester with my post-colonial module, and I imagine it'll be a lot of the same thing this term too.

You're right! I went back and looked up the title I'd looked at before, and realised it was a well edited version :lol: Sheesh! I'm happy you cleared this for me before I went to the library and realised that the unabridged versions are a whole lot longer than that... :D

:haha: Would have been a bit of a shock. I suppose if you're reading it though you must do it properly, it really is a fantastic book.

Most definitely :) I hope you find the right time to read the novel this year and enjoy the heck out of it! :)

Thanks, me too. :smile2:

I think I have this on my TBR, but I wanted to say that if you enjoy this one and would like to read more Ishiguro, I would recommend A Pale View of Hills. There were a few members discussing the novel with Nollaig in her thread yesterday, check it out if you like.

I did notice people discussing this and it definitely sounds interesting. The Remains of the Day is a slow-burner at the start, at least in my opinion, but I enjoy Ishiguro's writing so I'll be sure to check out his other works. Cheers for the recommendation, Frankie. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

I thought The Remains of the Day was slow to start with too, actually I never finished it, but it seems to have a lot of brilliant reviews so I'll be interested to see what you think, I can decide if it's worth trying again then :smile:

I thought The Remains of the Day was slow to start with too, actually I never finished it, but it seems to have a lot of brilliant reviews so I'll be interested to see what you think, I can decide if it's worth trying again then :smile:

Just wrapped it up now, and I'm unhelpfully undecided on whether I should recommend giving it another shot. I mean, I think when you give it a chance and get used to the writing style and pacing, the novel certainly improves as it progresses. Then again, it's a very moralistic, thought-provoking kind of narrative, so it never really escapes that slowness.

I'll review it sometime tomorrow so you could see if that helps, but no promises. Consider me the most unhelpful person ever. :lol:

Edited by Ben

Ah trip to town today, but I'm determined to not just buy some books for the sake of having vouchers. I'm only going to spend if I spot something that I really want, that way I'll feel less guilty when the to-be-read pile starts to creep in the wrong direction again.

In any case, I'm starting my next university book and it's Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Synopsis:

'The reaches opened before us and closed behind, as if the forest had stepped leisurely across the water to bar the way for our return. We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness.' At the peak of European Imperialism, steamboat captain Charles Marlow travels deep into the African Congo on his way to relieve the elusive Mr Kurtz, an ivory trader renowned for his fearsome reputation. On his journey into the unknown Marlow takes a terrifying trip into his own subconscious, overwhelmed by his menacing, perilous and horrifying surroundings. The landscape and the people he meets force him to reflect on human nature and society, and in turn Conrad writes revealingly about the dangers of imperialism.

Been meaning to read this for a while now, looking forward to getting started.

Finished Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness (3/5) and I'll review it tomorrow, or at some other stage, along with Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day. For the minute, I'm starting Hanif Kureishi's novel The Black Album which is on my contemporary module and which looks good.

Synopsis:

Shahid is a clean-cut student, trying to make an impression on his college lecturer, Deedee Osgood, who gives his spirits a lift when she takes him to a naked rave party. Shahid's academic prospects are threatened by the intervention of his gangster brother Chili, who, with his Armani suits and Gucci loafers, moves into Shahid's bedsit as a hideout, bringing unnecessary danger and excitement with him. Set in London in 1989, the year of the fall of the Berlin wall and the fatwah, "The Black Album" is a thriller with a characteristically lively background: raves, ecstasy, religious ferment and sexual passion in a dangerous time.

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Edited by Ben

I'm a bit behind but that other one, Things Fall Apart, sounds pretty interesting. I may look it up. You're flying through things so far this year!

And Frankie, if you see this, my heart dropped into my stomach when I saw you say 440 pages of Monte Cristo! DEFINITELY over a thousand, and what a glorious thousand pages they are! It's such an epic book :giggle:

I'm a bit behind but that other one, Things Fall Apart, sounds pretty interesting. I may look it up. You're flying through things so far this year!

No worries, definitely worth checking out if it interests you. I am indeed, value of having January off this year because I've already got my exams over and done with. :smile2:

And Frankie, if you see this, my heart dropped into my stomach when I saw you say 440 pages of Monte Cristo! DEFINITELY over a thousand, and what a glorious thousand pages they are! It's such an epic book :giggle:

:lol: I agree with this! Thankfully she'll get the whole wonderful experience now. Ah, I really do love that book.

Just catching up with your thread, Ben, and while I've not read The Remains Of The Day, I can whole-heartedly recommend the film with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. Worth checking out if you get the chance :)

Thanks, Claire. I don't know if you remember that thread I had a while ago where everyone was commenting and recommending films I should watch. Well, I'm going to go back to it soon and start working on the list again. I love Emma Thompson so definitely going to add The Remains of the Day. Cheers for the recommendation. :smile2:

PS: Love the new user title. :lol:

My edition of Count of Monte Cristo only has 894 pages, now I am concerned it's not the full edition :'(

It has this cover - http://www.goodreads...of_Monte_Cristo

Not a member on goodreads so unfortunately can't see which cover this is, but at 894 I have a feeling that it might be an abridged version. I'd do a bit of a research and look up the edition you have - it's definitely worth reading an unabridged copy for a book so fantastic.

Edited by Ben

Not a member on goodreads so unfortunately can't see which cover this is, but at 894 I have a feeling that it might be an abridged version. I'd do a bit of a research and look up the edition you have - it's definitely worth reading an unabridged copy for a book so fantastic.

Sorry about that! I thought people could still see links without being a member :blush:. This is the book here - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Count-Monte-Cristo-Alexandre-Dumas/9781853267338?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20.

I can't see anything saying its abridged, but I might trade it for this one - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Count-Monte-Cristo-Alexandre-Dumas/9780140449266?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26.

I like the cover better and it has over 1,312 pages.

Edited by Devi

Sorry about that! I thought people could still see links without being a member :blush:. This is the book here - http://www.bookdepos...description-20.

I can't see anything saying its abridged, but I might trade it for this one - http://www.bookdepos...graphicdata-26.

I like the cover better and it has over 1,312 pages.

Not to worry. :smile2: Looking around a bit, I don't think that version is abridged, actually, but I have the one you were considering, and can vouch for it. Whichever you choose, I do hope you enjoy the novel, it really is excellent.

I must buy a decent copy of Monte Cristo. My copy is a worn out, hardback printed decades ago that I forgot to give back to my school's library. It's only possible to read by lying it on a table, because the weight of the pages when it's held open has started tearing what's left of the spine. (It was damaged when I got it, I didn't damage it.)

I must buy a decent copy of Monte Cristo. My copy is a worn out, hardback printed decades ago that I forgot to give back to my school's library. It's only possible to read by lying it on a table, because the weight of the pages when it's held open has started tearing what's left of the spine. (It was damaged when I got it, I didn't damage it.)

Yeah, I think I'll probably do the same and grab a nice copy of it at some stage, as it really is a great book to have in the collection. My current copy is still in reasonably good condition but the spine is creased to no end through the weight of the pages. It's not really 'damaged' as such, I guess, but I would still like a nice copy of it anyway.

Finished The Black Album by Hanif Kureishi and found it a very enjoyable read. I've been feeling slightly ill the past few days, and not really up to writing reviews or attempting to structure my thoughts coherently. So in an effort to avoid not making much sense, I'll do them at a later date. I'll leave this post here as a reminder of the one's I need to catch up on (which I will do soon).

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

The Black Album by Hanif Kureishi.

Shall now go peruse my university reading list to see what's next on the list. :readingtwo:

Not to worry. :smile2: Looking around a bit, I don't think that version is abridged, actually, but I have the one you were considering, and can vouch for it. Whichever you choose, I do hope you enjoy the novel, it really is excellent.

I'm reading a 'Wordsworth Classics' of the same ilk - it's not abridged but the type is smaller which is why there are fewer pages. They're only RRP £1.99 - this is how they keep costs down. :)

Next up Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier.

Synopsis:

When John Dowell and his wife befriend Edward and Leonora Ashburnham they appear to be the perfect couple. He is a distinguished soldier and she is beautiful and intelligent. However, what lies beneath the surface of their marriage is far more sinister and their influence leads John into a tragic drama that threatens to destroy everything he cares about.

Better get cracking, see how much of a dent I can put in this university reading list.

Edited by Ben