Ben's Book Bonanza, 2013.

Ben

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ben I really like your World Book Night challenge if i was tempted to take one up then i think it would be that one :D

Good luck with all your reading next year :readingtwo:

One of the more manageable ones, I think that's why it's one of my favourites. :lol: Will definitely be ticking more off in 2013.

Best of luck to you with your reading adventures, hope it's a good year. :smile2:

Wow, that's a whole lotta books Ben! Have a great 2013, reading and otherwise.. :)

Hopefully that means a whole bunch of cracking reads. You too, hope 2013 is good to you. :smile2:

A lot of reading material to choose from, and some great challenges you have there, Ben! :) I don't think you will be bored next year... :D Have a great reading year 2013!

Hehe, me neither. :lol: Right back at you, here's hoping we both have a good 2013. :smile2:

I'm hoping this is my year for the classics, really determined to get through a fair few. Ooh, which are your personal favourites? :o

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier is my all time, absolute, favourite book. I also love Stephen King's The Shining, in fact, most of Stephen King's work I would read over and over again.

You are going to have an awesome year of reading, I think :D

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier is my all time, absolute, favourite book. I also love Stephen King's The Shining, in fact, most of Stephen King's work I would read over and over again.

You are going to have an awesome year of reading, I think :D

I read Rebecca this year, thought it was excellent. I'm determined to get around to more King this year, I've left it far too long already.

I think I shall too, there's far too many good books waiting on my list for it not to be the case. :smile2:

Well with the final thoughts of 2012 typed up the reading review signals the start of a new year of books, and hopefully a good one. As I finished the final book of 2012 not so long ago - The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud (which I'd thoroughly recommend) - I thought I'd wait until midnight to start this year's adventures, as it only seemed fitting. With just forty-five minutes go, I can safely say I'm excited to get started. :readingtwo:

So I'm starting 2013 with Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, the first novel on my African Diaspora module.

Synopsis:

Okonowo is the greatest warrior alive. His fame has spread like a bushfire in West Africa and he is one of the most powerful men of his clan. But he also has a fiery temper. Determined not to be like his father, he refuses to show weakness to anyone - even if the only way he can master his feelings is with his fists. When outsiders threaten the traditions of his clan, Okonowo takes violent action. Will the great man's dangerous pride eventually destroy him?

Looking forward to my university reading this semester, hopefully some cracking books on the horizon.

Good luck and happy reading in 2013 :D I love your TBR pile :D

Cheers, all the best for your reading in 2013 too. I also am a fan of my TBR pile. ;)

Lovely organised lists in your super duper thread Ben :) Your TBR is making mine look small which is encouraging :D

Look forward to reading your progress reports and reviews and so on, will definitely be swinging by often.

Ooh I'm glad to see that you got on well with The Golem's Eye .. I love the Bartimaeous Trilogy .. I'm thinking of getting a tattoo :D

Good luck in 2013 Ben! :friends0:

Lovely organised lists in your super duper thread Ben :) Your TBR is making mine look small which is encouraging :D

:lol: Glad to be of service!

Look forward to reading your progress reports and reviews and so on, will definitely be swinging by often.

Ooh I'm glad to see that you got on well with The Golem's Eye .. I love the Bartimaeous Trilogy .. I'm thinking of getting a tattoo :D

Good luck in 2013 Ben! :friends0:

Glad to hear it, will definitely be checking out your thoughts and reviews this year too. :smile2: As for the Bartimeaus trilogy, it really is excellent and one I often return to when I'm struggling to get motivation to read. Thoroughly witty and entertaining, Jonathan Stroud writes with an easy intelligence that I admire. I'm not too sure about that tattoo idea though. :haha:

Best of luck to you too. :friends0:

Good luck this year Ben - looking forward to your reviews! Looks like you've got some great reads coming up!

Thanks Jessi, I certainly do have some great books lined up. Best of luck to you this coming year, too. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

Just got off the phone with my grandma, who we bought a Kindle for this Christmas. To my delight she just spent a good ten minutes describing how she's coming to grips with it and how utterly fantastic she finds it. She's an avid reader, and probably the person I got my love of literature from (my parents aren't big readers) so I'm excited that she seems to love her e-reader.

She also recommended Morality by Christopher Hitchens which is available at the bargain price of £0.99 in the Kindle Store. I've always wanted to read Hitchens, he was an incredible man, and this book charts his battle with cancer. It sounds like it'll be a tough read because of the subject manner, but his eloquence and erudite writing has made me consider snapping this one up.

Thanks for the tip Ben. I just got through reading a Hitchens book and at that price would not mind adding another.

No worries, wasn't sure if we had any Hitchens fans but sounds like a steal at that price.

I've wanted to read The Stand for years now, could be another ambitious 2013 project for me.

That's one massive book, but it's great. Once you get sucked into it, you'll be just turning the pages. I dare you to read the book and not like Tom Cullen! :cool:

That's one massive book, but it's great. Once you get sucked into it, you'll be just turning the pages. I dare you to read the book and not like Tom Cullen! :cool:

Dare accepted, although I assume you have good grounds for it so I don't hold any hope of actually not liking him. :lol: In regards to the size, I'm going to have to act unafraid of big books this year with such ridiculous aspirations as War and Peace. :haha: But we shall see, hopefully even if it's not The Stand I'll get around to some more King this year. :smile2:

Dare accepted, although I assume you have good grounds for it so I don't hold any hope of actually not liking him. :lol: In regards to the size, I'm going to have to act unafraid of big books this year with such ridiculous aspirations as War and Peace. :haha: But we shall see, hopefully even if it's not The Stand I'll get around to some more King this year. :smile2:

Oh, but I might be pulling your leg, he might be wickedly disgusting... :D Good luck with your doorstoppers, it's always intimidating to start one, so I guess I can only say that read them when the right mood strikes you. It's a whole lot easier reading a 200 pages long book that's only so and so, than a big whopping 1,000 pager.

Oh, but I might be pulling your leg, he might be wickedly disgusting... :D Good luck with your doorstoppers, it's always intimidating to start one, so I guess I can only say that read them when the right mood strikes you. It's a whole lot easier reading a 200 pages long book that's only so and so, than a big whopping 1,000 pager.

:haha: In which case it should be easy to not like him. :P I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Thanks, I definitely agree with what you say about having to be in the right mood. I tried a couple of times to get through The Count of Monte Cristo a few years ago before abandoning it, whereas I polished it off in a few days last year, so I definitely need to be in the right frame of mind. :smile2: